Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2013, 23:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Building a Poor Man's Harley Performance Bobber!

'vattanalle bhai'

Respect the enthu/dedication etc. And of course for posting about it in details. I always give your bike as reference when it comes to Harleys.

Video would be helpful.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 01:22   #17

Amazing is the word, just to think about and get this high quality modification done must have been a difficult feat to achieve. The precision of the mod and final outcome is worth every effort you might have put in.
Congrats on your Bobber.
Would really love to hear the growl of her, I am sure it would be delight to hear it from close enough but for sure a video might give us a chance to hear her scream from far away.
sheeniz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 08:48   #18
BHPian

Whoa, that is one cracker of a bike. Looks like you got quite a lot of work done at the company workshop itself. How supportive are these guys with such whimsical mods?

Hope to catch up on a ride someday around Hyd.
Old 29th September 2013, 12:21   #19
BHPian

Will be looking out for your bike on Hyd roads! Those ape hangers really stand out - i first noticed ape hangers on the tv series 'Sons of Anarchy', those really made my jaw drop!

Good to read that HD offers reboring at their svc. Just a query, is reboring the engine legal and will the RC book have to be updated after this mod?

On a side note, isnt that air intake in the way of your right knee? The bike is completely transformed from the first pic to the last pic. But there is an unseemly gap between the seat and the new fuel tank. I liked the idea of raising GC by swapping tyres. Just a suggestion, if the wires can be passed through holes drilled in the handlebar without affecting structural strenght, it might give a cleaner look.
Kudos to your build. Please post a video of the intake and exhaust roar.
Old 1st October 2013, 08:38   #20
BHPian

Thanks all of you! Shall post detailed pics and videos soon!

BTW The bike was adjudged the best SPORTSTER CUSTOM at the Southern HOG CUSTOM CHALLENGE held at Chennai over the weekend.

Building a Poor Man's Harley Performance Bobber!-1374203_636430363063613_1116113616_n.jpg

Building a Poor Man's Harley Performance Bobber!-img_00000124.jpg
josepeter is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 09:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
'vattanalle bhai'

Josepeter, that is one amazing ride and equally amazing story! I am not a Harley fan, but loved your dedicated madness in creating the dream machine you visualised. Please post more pictures, and of course, a fly-by video. Would love to listen to that exhaust note!!

Great writing too, by the way!

Glad to find another fellow mallu bike-nut.

Regards
Viju
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 09:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant thread, the amount of paasion and dedication for following your vision is amazing. Ride Safe!!
Old 3rd October 2013, 11:03   #23
BHPian

Pure passionate mental madness in excess.
You got the number of the beast right. A true Maiden fan!
A solo ride is all that's left...
sulivan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 11:21   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeniz View Post
Amazing is the word, just to think about and get this high quality modification done must have been a difficult feat to achieve. The precision of the mod and final outcome is worth every effort you might have put in.
Congrats on your Bobber.
Would really love to hear the growl of her, I am sure it would be delight to hear it from close enough but for sure a video might give us a chance to hear her scream from far away.
I shall shoot a video and post this weekend. Will try to catch her throwing flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
Whoa, that is one cracker of a bike. Looks like you got quite a lot of work done at the company workshop itself. How supportive are these guys with such whimsical mods?

Hope to catch up on a ride someday around Hyd.
Banjara Harley guys are quite enthusiastic and supportive.

Come over to the Harley showroom 6ish on Sunday Morning. You can meet us all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chotu_r View Post
Will be looking out for your bike on Hyd roads! Those ape hangers really stand out - i first noticed ape hangers on the tv series 'Sons of Anarchy', those really made my jaw drop!

Good to read that HD offers reboring at their svc. Just a query, is reboring the engine legal and will the RC book have to be updated after this mod?

On a side note, isnt that air intake in the way of your right knee? The bike is completely transformed from the first pic to the last pic. But there is an unseemly gap between the seat and the new fuel tank. I liked the idea of raising GC by swapping tyres. Just a suggestion, if the wires can be passed through holes drilled in the handlebar without affecting structural strength, it might give a cleaner look.
Kudos to your build. Please post a video of the intake and exhaust roar.
The stock cylinders are kept aside; the screamin eagle kit has new cylinders, high compression pistons & rings, aggressive cams, racing clutch springs and a pro tuner. The bore size is 3.5 inches as against the 3 inches of the 883. Not sure if RC mod is possible

The upwards intake lets you hear the snarl of the intake...its pretty intoxicating and also gives a hotrod look a la My engine bay is so full of engine; I had to leave the intake outside the bonnet...stupid really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
'vattanalle bhai'

Respect the enthu/dedication etc. And of course for posting about it in details. I always give your bike as reference when it comes to Harleys.

Video would be helpful.
Vattanu Sir...Video coming soon..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulivan View Post
Pure passionate mental madness in excess.
You got the number of the beast right. A true Maiden fan!
A solo ride is all that's left...
Thanks Sulivan! Have done several solo rides - its more like Nirvana than Maiden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Great mean look. Cant the air filter be turned to point ahead or you like it this way? what are the chances of damaging it and hence the engine. (You can even blow into it when you want more )
Would love to hear the engine though.
Just tried it this way and loved the snarl...can change the position any time...also psst secret...the finish on the gas tank isnt perfect; the tank was infact painted by a guy who paints steel wardrobes for a living...i had to actually force him to use putty...So a little distraction from the gastank doesnt hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Just brilliant! Congratulations Jose.

Good that you had an eye & heart to acknowledge something (read : 1st mod) waas not working. Most guys I know tend to "live with it" as (re) changing would mean more moolah out of pocket.

She looks gorgeous. I love the tank. If I were building this; here's what I would change:

- Less "busy" handlebars, something like a short t-bar to keep the front end minimalistic as is the rest of the bike
- Black spoked wheels with a chrome lip

Your bike's a living example of less is more. Ride hard; ride safe!

Edit - have to agree with Srishiva. The air filter comes in the way of me looking at that beauty of a gas tank. Move it to face fwd please (as was on the pre mod bike)
Handle bars - Apes are evergreen, you never get bored looking at them and i love the posture.

Spoke Wheels - goog to look at, a bitch while touring. A puncture can set you back a few thousand bucks and screw your ride plan royally. Alloys are life savers on a Harley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
Wow! That is one awesome looking bike!

Excellent work, Sir.
It's really turned out very well. And I have to admit, the first orange and black look was a shocker.. And then I read the text above the image closely, lol.

Would love to see some more close ups from all possible angles.

And if you'd feel comfortable, please inbox/share here the costs.

Cheers and ride safe,
Sam
Costs:

Engine mod - 1 L +
Handle bars and cables - 40 K
Tyres - 20 K
Body parts would cost 70 K if bought new
Seat - 10 K
Chrome, Paint, Polishing etc. 10 K

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
jospeter, for the benefit of other Superlow owners like me, if you could share the costs of these upgrades. I know passion has no price but still...

Especially interested in the engine enhancements that you did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Brilliant thread Sir. The transformation is wonderful and looks great, nothing out of place or too loud. I'm sure she is a hoot to ride as well.

I was always under the impression that the ape hanger bars are super-uncomfortable but your post has clarified it. How easy is it to maneuver and turn in tight spots with these bars?

All the best and do keep us updated on a regular basis.

Thread rated 5 stars
Thanks Aditya! Ape Hangers are a breeze. If the angle of the bars are kept in line with the front forks, it gives a laid back cruising feel. If the apes are pushed forward, you have an aggressive feel. Take your pick. You need to get used to apes, it becomes super comfy.
josepeter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 09:55   #25
BHPian

Bro , finally u did it. Congrats.
Between my date with your 'Hotrod Bobber' is sill due.
Old 16th December 2013, 13:10   #26
BHPian

Some High Res Pics of the current avatar is finally ready. I still got to make a video of her screaming!

Building a Poor Man's Harley Performance Bobber!-tm1.jpg
josepeter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 19:19   #27
BHPian

Some observations and lessons learnt on the way!

1. Stock componenets on a motorcycle are designed to withstand tremendous abuse and are almost always extremely durable and functional. Moving them around on a bike ( aka Relocation) and replacing them with fabricated/ 3rd party components can make your motorcycle less functional and less reliable.

2. A Harley will mercilessly pound on a non stock part till it breaks or falls off! (even accesories from the H_D chrome catalogue do fail!) The replacment part you fabricate better be good to take the relentless torture.

3. Even a seemingly harmless fault, like a fused bulb, a broken clamp holding say the speedo can ruin your ride significantly. So on a daily rider, be really carefull about custom components. Mediocrity will just not cut it.

4. Avoid any chinese custom part. They look like the real deal, but almost always fails, and each one i have tested has flaws that makes the component unfit for use.

5. When fabricating relocation clamps, be real careful. Coil and Ignition key relocation look very uncomplicated, but both can render your ride unsafe. If the ignition is relocated to the V of the cylinders, the vibrations from the engine can cut a nasty slot on the ignition key that will render the key unusable. Stick to ready made relocation kits from DK customs or the likes if you are unsure about your engineering capabilities.

6. Do one part at a time.

7. Do a thorough shakedown run AFTER ANY NEW modification is made, however minute it may seem. You will be suprised to see how easily some things fail.
josepeter is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 19:51   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepeter View Post
1. Stock componenets on a motorcycle are designed to withstand tremendous abuse and are almost always extremely durable and functional. Moving them around on a bike ( aka Relocation) and replacing them with fabricated/ 3rd party components can make your motorcycle less functional and less reliable.
Have to agree hands down on this! If you are into touring, keep the bike as stock as possible!

Josepeter, I have read your threads on extensive touring on your bike! When I saw this modification thread I have actually wondered how these mods would have affected the reliability of your ride since you are an avid tourer. The answer I convinced myself was you wont be using this baby for your touring needs. Am i right on this?

Also, the headlamp assembly is changed again in the last pic? The previous low set one was better(Personal opinion).

Last edited by man_of_steel : 16th December 2013 at 20:05.
Old 16th December 2013, 20:07   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Have to agree hands down on this! If you are into touring, keep the bike as stock as possible!

Josepeter, I have read your threads on extensive touring on your bike! When I saw this modification thread I have actually wondered how these mods would have affected the reliability of your ride since you are an avid tourer. The answer I convinced myself was you wont be using this baby for your touring needs. Am i right on this?

Also, the headlamp assembly is changed again in the last pic? The previous low set ones was better(Personal opinion).
I own only one bike, so she has to make do with both touring and modding! I had done some 7000 kms in her latest avatar it's all holding together well. Have some more mods in the pipeline. But I try to make sure every new thing works before i set off on long rides.

Yes, you cuaght the new headlamps. The old ones where chinese and they gave up. This one is a pukka american aftermarket chopper light! I will be relocating the current ones to a lower position; just dont find enough time these days to sepend at the fabricators'.
Old 16th December 2013, 20:15   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepeter View Post
I own only one bike, so she has to make do with both touring and modding! I had done some 7000 kms in her latest avatar it's all holding together well. Have some more mods in the pipeline.
Great to know about this Jose! Wish you many many happy miles on this!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed