Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2013, 16:57   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
@Ram Sir: Is it possible to post a couple of Pic that includes Shubz HD in this thread. Thanks.
Your wish is my command. I am posting couple of pictures, where I could kind of isolate Shubz's Amber Whisky (For some strange reason it reminds me of radio call sign of something).

I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-dsc01908-b.jpg
I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-dsc01909-b.jpg

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 18:39   #197
Senior - BHPian

For the fear of being rapped by the Mods for talking about HD on a Triumph thread. I am moving the posts here. Apologies Doc and Ram sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Just kidding man. Am sure she must be poetry in motion. Enjoy!

Just get a pillion along at the IBW to help you back her into position.
She sure is poetry in motion!! Particularly when the wrist is wrung!

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Shubz was able to put her on the Centre Stand whilst he was still seated - in the true Filmy Hero/Villain istyle.

Oops !!! - AW doesn't have a centre stand

You guys are planning to ride to Goa for the IBW ?

A pillion is a good idea at least to keep your back warm

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Yeah! Ram sir you noticed that!?!? Me putting the AW on the center stand while still seated a la bolly/tolly/sandalwood movie ishtyle?

Jokes apart - I sure have the wish and will to take it for the IBW - if not for anything - for the thrill of riding that distance on this beautiful machine.

Yeah and about the pillion - you both are so right! Its in the works! ;-)
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 18:10   #198
Senior - BHPian

My first shot at a longish ride seems to be around the corner. Planning a trip to Hubli and back (405 Kms each way). 2 day trip! And then it would go off for service!

Any "Do's & Don'ts" for the trip will be welcomed!

The team would consist of my AW, A CBR 250, 2 Duke 200's!

Thanks
Shubz!
Old 19th December 2013, 18:15   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Any "Do's & Don'ts" for the trip will be welcomed!
Just don't exceed 100kmph for the initial 1600 kms and you should be fine. Also avoid sudden braking in that period and ease into the bike.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 18:50   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Just don't exceed 100kmph for the initial 1600 kms and you should be fine. Also avoid sudden braking in that period and ease into the bike.
Dhiraj - Did they tell you this? Not to exceed 100 kmph for the initial 1600 kms? For just before my shortish long ride to Nandi hills - I had called them and asked if I should be doing any "Running In". To which they replied, NO. No running in required. The only thing they mentioned was - Just be careful of the brakes, they wouldn't have bedded in well, so braking may be a little less. Else - don't worry about speeds etc.

Ok - I just wanted to add one more thing here. A feature the India showroom folks (at least the bangalore folks didn't know till I accidentally found out and showed it to them)

Self cancelling Indicators - It blinks for 25 times and stops. Thats a good feature! The thing that is sorely missing is the Gear indicator!
I am having a slight challenge (a few times) to get to Neutral

Last edited by Shubz : 19th December 2013 at 19:13.
Old 19th December 2013, 18:58   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Did they tell you this? Not to exceed 100 kmph for the initial 1600 kms?
Though modern engines don't need that much running-in, I don't rely on anything these 'stealers' tell you.

It is clearly mentioned in the Owner's Manual to
- Not exceed 3000 rpm for the initial 80km and 3500 rpm for the initial 800 kms.
- Also to drive slowly and avoid fast starts at wide open throttle.
- Also avoid lugging the engine by running the engine at very low speeds in higher gears.
- And to avoid hard braking for at least first 160 kms.

To be on the safe side I would advise you to follow these rules for the initial 1600 kms or 1000 miles and your bike would be happy that you have broken it in perfectly and give you years of trouble free service. Always read the Owner's Manual before riding any vehicle.

----------

Yes, Self cancelling indicators are a boon. And they are just not fixed 25 blinks. Their cancellation depends on your speed and subsequent acceleration. They are quite intelligent that way. Also I thought the 2014 models also had a gear indicator in the speedo's display. It's there in the US model. Kindly check it out. It must be there after the RPM indicator. Toggle in and out and see. Otherwise it will be sad to see them skipping this out for the Indian version.

Last edited by dkaile : 19th December 2013 at 19:24.
Old 19th December 2013, 19:08   #202
BHPian

+1 to dkaile

Go by the books. Although these machines are precession cut and moulded, there is no harm in practicing a time tested procedure.

1600kms will fly in no time.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 19:29   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Though modern engines don't need that much running-in, I don't rely on anything these 'stealers' tell you.

It is clearly mentioned in the Owner's Manual to
- Not exceed 3000 rpm for the initial 80km and 3500 rpm for the initial 800 kms.
- Also to drive slowly and avoid fast starts at wide open throttle.
- Also avoid lugging the engine by running the engine at very low speeds in higher gears.
- And to avoid hard braking for at least first 160 kms.

To be on the safe side I would advise you to follow these rules for the initial 1600 kms or 1000 miles and your bike would be happy that you have broken it in perfectly and give you years of trouble free service. Always read the Owner's Manual before riding any vehicle.

----------

Yes, Self cancelling indicators are a boon. And they are just not fixed 25 blinks. Their cancellation depends on your speed and subsequent acceleration. They are quite intelligent that way. Also I thought the 2014 models also had a gear indicator in the speedo's display. It's there in the US model. Kindly check it out. It must be there after the RPM indicator. Toggle in and out and see. Otherwise it will be sad to see them skipping this out for the Indian version.
Thanks Dhiraj.

Though I have not kept a watch on the actual number, my first 80 kms were slow anyway - city riding conditions.

now about 250 on the Odo. Only once did I open up the throttle - that too it was a gradual one and a gradual deceleration as well. Haven't slammed the brakes so far (Thank god for not giving me that opportunity)

And regarding self cancellation - I counted once, so counted 25. If it is intelligent that way, I am glad!

When I toggle the switch - it indicated something like GEAR/RPM on display - but Only RPM was shown. Nowhere could I find the GEAR indication.

I would check it again. When I had asked at the showroom, they said only RPM and No gear - They did toggle and demo'd it to me.
Old 19th December 2013, 19:38   #204
Senior - BHPian

Shub,

You are no greenhorn to be tutored on how to treat your new bike, which I believe is not your first new bike. In that you would have realized by now that the AW is not hugely different (even with all the bells and whistles added on)

You are doing fine in handling AW from what I observed from close quarters for our 100 KM ride. Keep what Dheeraj has said in mind and go ahead and have a wonderful ride.

Regret, I am not able to join you that is all :(

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 19:41   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Shub,

You are no greenhorn to be tutored on how to treat your new bike, which I believe is not your first new bike. In that you would have realized by now that the AW is not hugely different (even with all the bells and whistles added on)

You are doing fine in handling AW from what I observed from close quarters for our 100 KM ride. Keep what Dheeraj has said in mind and go ahead and have a wonderful ride.

Regret, I am not able to join you that is all :(

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Thank you Ram sir! I understand your not joining us this time. But please be warned that if you were to have been physically around, I would've done a Fast-unto-you-agree-to-ride if you were around and free to ride along!
Old 19th December 2013, 20:48   #206
Team-BHP Support

How much FE do these engines deliver and what is the fuel tank capacity? Genuinely curious from a touring perspective
Old 19th December 2013, 20:55   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
How much FE do these engines deliver and what is the fuel tank capacity? Genuinely curious from a touring perspective
Jaggu, the 883 has the tank capacity of about 12 liters, and with that it should give a range of 150-175 kms max

I read somewhere that as per the current Petroleum distribution policy of Govt of India, there is/ should be a fuel station with in every 100 km of our highways. If so this range shouldn't create an issue except that of frequents stops

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 20:59   #208
Team-BHP Support

Yes highways during day shouldn't be an issue, off beaten routes and night rides would need some planning though. Still that is part and parcell of biking and the adventure
Old 20th December 2013, 11:27   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
The Superlow 883 has a tank capacity of 17 L with a realistic range of 270~350 kms. It has the best driving range in the entire Harley lineup.

The 883 Sportsters deliver between 16~20kmpl though the company claims it to be 21.7kmpl for the 883cc Sportster family.
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 12:14   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Superlow 883 has a tank capacity of 17 L with a realistic range of 270~350 kms. It has the best driving range in the entire Harley lineup.

The 883 Sportsters deliver between 16~20kmpl though the company claims it to be 21.7kmpl for the 883cc Sportster family.
The tank looks quite big too in the XL. Perfect for touring.

The last I checked - mine threw up around 17 kmpl. (thereabouts) with only a 100+ kms of highway riding, rest all in the city.

As far as the exhaust note - I have a recording, but Youtube throwing up a challenge, I am trying hard to upload it to Youtube so I can share here.

Dhiraj sir - I did check - twice - about gear indicator, the toggles work like this

Press 1 - Trip A
Press 2 - Trip B
Press 3 - Clock
press 4 - GEAR/RPM text flows and settles in at RPM
Press 5 - Comes back to ODO

There is NO gear indicator!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks