Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2014, 17:57   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
I have been a silent visitor to your thread to be honest and have enjoyed going through your regular updates. I like the relatively easy nature of doing stuffs with these bikes like changing exhaust or cleaning air filter by yourself. A good way to kill a few hours every month not to mention makes you more attached to the motorcycle. Btw do we need any special tool for removing and cleaning intake filter or is it doable by a newbie ?

Didn't know the belt drive is that sturdy in nature , lakh+ milleage is super impressive . In the triumph thread , I read the chain of bonnie requires regular lubircation , any such service job needed for belt drive(I'm assuming not) ? Any other part of the motorcycle that requires weekly or monthly attention ?

Another thing - the motor is fine with regular petrol or needs high octance petrol ?

And what are the service charge ? I really don't know how "free servicing" for the first 2 years work . I mean if I by misfortune face some issue with my motor , they will replace the faulty part free of charge right (but charge me money for doing the job) ? Excuse my ignorance since my only vehicle is a 2nd hand enfield which is serviced locally .

Thank you for your time to help me out , really appreciate it.
Let me jump the gun and answer something.

Belt drive - needs no maintenance besides getting it checked during server.
The only thing that I have been checking regularly is Air pressure and Fuel levels ;-)

I have been using petrol from Shell bunks to any random bunks along the highway.

They don't have any "free service". But in a rare incident of anything going bust (manufacturing defect) - they will replace the part under warranty. 2 years/unlimited mileage.

The rest, my dear friend, Dhiraj will respond to.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 18:00   #272
BHPian

Thanks a lot shubz , that is what I wanted to read . Can't wait for march to arrive , dealer said test ride will start from 1st week and if it goes well , I will book it on the same day.
Old 19th February 2014, 18:25   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
Btw do we need any special tool for removing and cleaning intake filter or is it doable by a newbie ?

any such service job needed for belt drive(I'm assuming not) ? Any other part of the motorcycle that requires weekly or monthly attention ?

Another thing - the motor is fine with regular petrol or needs high octance petrol ?

And what are the service charge ? I really don't know how "free servicing" for the first 2 years work .
Shubz has answered most of your queries quite diligently.

Just to add on, Yes, some special tools are required for opening the hex bolts but nothing that a normal 1000 buck all-in-one tool box won't have. You can upgrade the tool box to high quality ones at your leisure.

The belt drive is damn solid. Requires nearly zero maintenance except ensuring proper tightening and that it does not get any outside item stuck in it. Yes, Triumph requires regular chain maintenance. Keep checking the air pressure monthly is all the maintenance I have seen till date.

The engine is a low compression one with rock solid reliability. When I opened up the air filter I saw that even the intake valves were quite solidly constructed from brass like material. I have heard people running it on kerosene in emergencies, not that I suggest you to try that out . The Hyosungs cannot run on normal petrol unlike the Harleys.

My 1st service with oil/filter change costed around 6~7K. That is all that I would be spending on it per year for the next few years as far as my estimates goes with my bike. Service interval is 8K kms after the initial 1st service at 1.5K with no free servicing. Many of my mates here have owned Harleys for 5+ years with no issues except routine servicing.

PS - And why March? I presume you are waiting for the 750?

Last edited by dkaile : 19th February 2014 at 18:27.
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 18:46   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Shubz has answered most of your queries quite diligently.

The belt drive is damn solid. Requires nearly zero maintenance except ensuring proper tightening and that it does not get any outside item stuck in it. Yes, Triumph requires regular chain maintenance.
Any O-ring chain will require maintaince like in my NS.Not that it will snap off if you dont,but the chain longevity,power delivery crispness will be better.Its not much work.Just put the bike on the centre stand,pop it into gear,spray a chain cleaner.Then spray the lube.Done.5 mins and its shining new again.
Old 19th February 2014, 19:06   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Any O-ring chain will require maintaince like in my NS.
Didn't get you mate. Harley's DON'T have any drive chain except the primary chain drive inside the engine which is already dipped in oil. They have a ribbed belt drive.

I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-drive-belt_2.jpg

Last edited by dkaile : 19th February 2014 at 19:17.
Old 19th February 2014, 19:30   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Didn't get you mate. Harley's DON'T have any drive chain except the primary chain drive inside the engine which is already dipped in oil. They have a ribbed belt drive.

I am aware of that,what i meant was the maintaince of chain drive bikes like triumph isnt much of a chore vis-a-vis ribbed belt drives of HD.Keeping aside other comparisons.
Old 19th February 2014, 19:38   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
I am aware of that,what i meant was the maintaince of chain drive bikes like triumph isnt much of a chore vis-a-vis ribbed belt drives of HD.Keeping aside other comparisons.
Well the Triumph manual insists that lubrication is 'necessary' every 300kms

I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-triumph-chain-maintenance.jpg
Old 19th February 2014, 21:22   #278
BHPian

Quote:
And why March? I presume you are waiting for the 750?
A very informative response , thank you dkaile . You and Shubz have really put my mind at ease regarding after sale experience.

And test rides for the 750 start from march 1st . I called both delhi and kolkata regarding test(my hometown , I will be there first week of march) . The delhi branch told me to book it for any day(most likely 2nd week after I return from kolkata) starting march 1st but kol branch was vague and asked me to call later .
Delivery will start from june . Expected price after tax is between 4.8-5 depending on state I think.
Old 23rd February 2014, 13:00   #279
Senior - BHPian

Was out on a day out with the big boys. Around 450 kms round trip to Hassan-Halebeedu and back.

I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-imag0581.jpg

I was riding with a pillion and pillion did find the bike planted at all times as much as I did.

Loved every moment of being on it so far.

With that, I complete another little milestone -- Niggle free - leak free -- 4000 Kms on the ODO!
I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-20140222-15.53.34.jpg

Note from Support - Please avoid posting high speed figures unless it was achieved on a closed road.

Last edited by n_aditya : 24th February 2014 at 11:49.
Shubz is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 18:20   #280
BHPian

I just took a couple of test rides on the iron and superlow and tentatively booked the iron amber whiskey. Although the ground clearance is far better than superlow, i found the ride on the superlow very smooth. On the iron, i found the suspension very harsh for my back. Is there any upgrades to the suspension on the iron to smooth out the ride that someone has actually tried? If not i am planning to switch over to superlow.
The dealer in Pune was saying that superlow production and bookings are stopped by hd because of street 750, which i found difficult to digest since there were superlows for test ride available. Can someone confirm this news about the superlow?
Old 23rd February 2014, 20:42   #281
BHPian

Guyes.. Today I finally booked Iron 883 (Amber whiskey) and to my surprise, the Ex showroom price has been reduced by around 6 k (Due to change in the Duty structure). Delivery expected in 3 months time.It took me almost a month post i test drove it, as i was sorting out the finances (Being married). Another thing which delayed the booking was to make up my mind to sell my 3 year old bullet (Loved it despite of the problems it had). Hope these three months are long enough for my Dad to digest the fact that i am buying a 8 lakh bike.
Abhishekjp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 09:03   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishekjp View Post
Today I finally booked Iron 883 (Amber whiskey)
Congrats Abhishekjp. Good to see you did not succumb to any wrong advise. You have gone in for a rock solid performer that will give you years of great pleasure. Just to inquire, why you did not wait for a test ride of the 750?
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 23:29   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats Abhishekjp. Good to see you did not succumb to any wrong advise. You have gone in for a rock solid performer that will give you years of great pleasure. Just to inquire, why you did not wait for a test ride of the 750?
Mate..

I have been in love with Iron 883 since quite some time and hence even though it was way above my budget i am going for it. Moreover i personally think that street 750 misses the Harley character so i dint want to test drive it.Also i never considered Triumph as an alternative as "looks" of the bike along with the performance was the key for me and i found iron way above the rest. And now this waiting period of 3 months is giving me sleepless nights. Thanks to my office for keeping me too busy during the day to keep my mind off the beast.
Attached Thumbnails
I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-20140223_131812.jpg  

Abhishekjp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 13:14   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishekjp View Post
Mate..

I have been in love with Iron 883 since quite some time and hence even though it was way above my budget i am going for it. Moreover i personally think that street 750 misses the Harley character so i dint want to test drive it.Also i never considered Triumph as an alternative as "looks" of the bike along with the performance was the key for me and i found iron way above the rest. And now this waiting period of 3 months is giving me sleepless nights. Thanks to my office for keeping me too busy during the day to keep my mind off the beast.
Congrats Abhishek! Wise choice unmindful of the naysayers out here!

Someone said "you should not be worried how you look on it" I'd scrupulously disagree to that statement!

Of course one should look good on a bike, and also how it rides, how you feel on it etc - all in parallel! whats the point in riding something that rides great but it rides you instead of the other way around! You look amazing on this machine and Mark my words - You will love every moment on it!!

Just to add - those 3 months would just zip by! 1 weeks already up - 11 more to go! am sure you would get the bike much before their stipulated time. Pssst! I have an advice - keep bugging them, subtly whine each time you reach out to them
Shubz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 14:42   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Someone said "you should not be worried how you look on it" I'd scrupulously disagree to that statement!

Of course one should look good on a bike, and also how it rides, how you feel on it etc - all in parallel! whats the point in riding something that rides great but it rides you instead of the other way around! You look amazing on this machine and Mark my words - You will love every moment on it!!
I think that's a retort to my comment :-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Ebono (I think) that you should not be worried how you look on it but, should be more worried about how you feel on it AND how it rides?
On my thread :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...ml#post3379391

Shubz, I respected you thinking your a matured guy (atleast you look like one) but, such kiddish retorts seem really out of place.

You could have quoted me and responded on my thread instead of writing it here on your own thread

Goodluck on your bike and this is my last comment on your thread and appreciate the same from your end !!!
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks