Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2014, 19:44   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by see India View Post
Shubz what are your reasons for not going with screamin eagles?
I didn't find them (Screaming Eagles) any different than stock in terms of sound output, unless I went for them and have the baffles drilled. Though I am not a proponent of LOUD sound, I'd definitely need something that sounds a "Harley"

This Video should give you a good outlook into the same.

Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2014, 15:53   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
I didn't find them (Screaming Eagles) any different than stock in terms of sound output
I don't know how you reached that conclusion Shubz. I find the SE's at least twice as loud than the stocks. Also there is gain in power output while riding. SE's sound the best on 883 Sportsters.
Old 16th April 2014, 15:56   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I don't know how you reached that conclusion Shubz. I find the SE's at least twice as loud than the stocks. Also there is gain in power output while riding. SE's sound the best on 883 Sportsters.
Dhiraj sir - That was just how I felt. I am not making a general conclusion. Two of my buddies with 2014 883's are on SE - we did a comparison - the SE's were just a shade throaty than stock. and didn't come up to my expectation. The 2013 SE's are much much much better. Didn't measure the gain in output though.

Secondly they are still on stock spark plugs/stock spark plug wires too. so i don't think they would've seen any noticeable difference in output either.
Old 16th April 2014, 17:07   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Two of my buddies with 2014 883's are on SE - we did a comparison - the SE's were just a shade throaty than stock. and didn't come up to my expectation. The 2013 SE's are much much much better. Didn't measure the gain in output though.
That's a unique observation. A 2014 Amber Whisky Iron 883 is joining our group shortly. Also a 2014 Fat Boy Classic is also joining in. Will research on those and get back as presently we do not have any 2014 bike in our group. Because the SE's on my 2013 883XL has changed the character of the bike all together.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2014, 17:41   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a unique observation. A 2014 Amber Whisky Iron 883 is joining our group shortly. Also a 2014 Fat Boy Classic is also joining in. Will research on those and get back as presently we do not have any 2014 bike in our group. Because the SE's on my 2013 883XL has changed the character of the bike all together.
Dhiraj - Did you go for SE performance spark plugs? Did you go for the phat 10mm spark plug wires?
Old 16th April 2014, 17:48   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dhiraj - Did you go for SE performance spark plugs? Did you go for the phat 10mm spark plug wires?
Next upgrade pretty soon. Both in total cost a miserly 2.5k. And the orange wires look cool too besides increasing performance.
Old 16th April 2014, 17:49   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Next upgrade pretty soon. Both in total cost a miserly 2.5k. And the orange wires look cool too besides increasing performance.
Exactly what I would be going for along with the 3" Twinslash and exactly what I was hoping you'd have gone for along with the SE slip-ons.

Old 18th April 2014, 15:09   #338
BANNED

Quote:
How plug wires increase performance??
Stock plug wires are good enough to carry little current that spark plug needs.
Looking cool, they surely do!

Quote:

Dhiraj sir - That was just how I felt. I am not making a general conclusion. Two of my buddies with 2014 883's are on SE - we did a comparison - the SE's were just a shade throaty than stock. and didn't come up to my expectation. The 2013 SE's are much much much better. Didn't measure the gain in output though.

Secondly they are still on stock spark plugs/stock spark plug wires too. so i don't think they would've seen any noticeable difference in output either.
Shubz that bike looks godsent! Always wow.
Sound is very personal choice!
V&h are more free flowing and have bigger acoustic chamber, lesser absorbing material. Also baffles have different design of openings for gas flow, They sound lot more badass than most other over the counter pipes.
SE are conservative, but still a major improvement over stock!
But there is a catch, SE improve airflow but not radically, hence they keep the low end torque intact (just about) , and shift peak bhp rpm by 5-600 rpm. Hence very good overall pipes.
V&H shift peak bhp by quite a lot, but with stock rev limiter at 6k , one cannot extract all the bhp they can support.
If one is planning on a ecu tuner in future and extending rev limit, V&h is much better.

Last edited by mobike008 : 18th April 2014 at 16:11. Reason: Merging posts
Old 21st April 2014, 12:54   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post

Shubz that bike looks godsent! Always wow.
Sound is very personal choice!
V&h are more free flowing and have bigger acoustic chamber, lesser absorbing material. Also baffles have different design of openings for gas flow, They sound lot more badass than most other over the counter pipes.
SE are conservative, but still a major improvement over stock!
But there is a catch, SE improve airflow but not radically, hence they keep the low end torque intact (just about) , and shift peak bhp rpm by 5-600 rpm. Hence very good overall pipes.
V&H shift peak bhp by quite a lot, but with stock rev limiter at 6k , one cannot extract all the bhp they can support.
If one is planning on a ecu tuner in future and extending rev limit, V&h is much better.
Thanks a Bunch Dustom!

For now - Low end torque has reduced but peak bhp I could feel the improvement but have no numbers to prove.

Next in line is Quiet Baffles for a more throaty response. This one is pure badass! And then the Super tuner with A/C replacement.

I am now shod with VnH Twin slash 3" Slip on's

I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-vnh-fit.jpg

A coarse video is uploaded here

Custom derby cover fitted
Click image for larger version

Name:	VnH fit.jpg
Views:	1795
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	1232895

And the Phat wires
I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-wires.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-derby-fit.jpg  

Last edited by Shubz : 21st April 2014 at 12:55.
Shubz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 13:22   #340
BANNED

I would like you to give a look at Power vision instead of Super tuner.
It can do all that harley tuner can do, but there is more.
Not only it tunes better than SEPrt but having inbuild touch screen means you can keep live data from engine and all sensors in front of you while on the bike.
Another imp feature is you can save 6 different maps on pv1 at any time, flash them to your rides ecu almost on the fly. Maps can be based on economy, high power, bottom end torque, lower engine temp etc. Use these as you like when you like
Its screen can also display custom made gauges such as instant mpg, trip mpg, motor rpm, engine temp, head temp, lambda front and rear cylinders, volumetric efficiency of both cylinders , spark advance plus a ton more.
On a super tuner you will have to record data and connect to a laptop every time you want to change something.
Plus every time you change something on the motor like AC or exhaust or cam etc , you will have to go to dealer for remap download.
Not so on a dynojet powervision.
dustom_99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 13:55   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It can do all that harley tuner can do, but there is more.
Not only it tunes better than SEPrt but having inbuild touch screen means you can keep live data from engine and all sensors in front of you while on the bike.
Another imp feature is you can save 6 different maps on pv1 at any time, flash them to your rides ecu almost on the fly. Maps can be based on economy, high power, bottom end torque, lower engine temp etc. Use these as you like when you like
Its screen can also display custom made gauges such as instant mpg, trip mpg, motor rpm, engine temp, head temp, lambda front and rear cylinders, volumetric efficiency of both cylinders , spark advance plus a ton more.
On a super tuner you will have to record data and connect to a laptop every time you want to change something.
Plus every time you change something on the motor like AC or exhaust or cam etc , you will have to go to dealer for remap download.
Not so on a dynojet powervision.
Dustom sir,

1 question - do you think I am on the right path as far as performance upgrades are concerned?

My primary concern now is - I am running a bit lean. Is that ok for now? Anything I should watch for?

I was considering (remotely) - to go for XiEd's to compensate for running lean. Your recommendations?

2nd - PV - I don't think HD will supply me with that. now, I am partially on my own, with HD service support of course since they fitted this on. If I go the PV way - I will be literally left on my own.
Old 21st April 2014, 15:11   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am now shod with VnH Twin slash 3" Slip on's

Quote:

Shub,

AW looks great and I sure I will need ear plugs when I am behind you

From what my friends have said I would say go with what Dustom99 is saying above, as PV is a more versatile one that the ST.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 15:19   #343
BHPian

Awesome Shubz...looks hot! Good choice on the V&H and the sound is WOW. So you did take the dive outside of the harley ecosystem..
AC_genius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 15:59   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Shub,

AW looks great and I sure I will need ear plugs when I am behind you

From what my friends have said I would say go with what Dustom99 is saying above, as PV is a more versatile one that the ST.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Ram sir - PV is what I was looking at as well. But as of now, I am still getting HD support if I run into any issues (god forbid) but with a PV, they will make me an orphan!

As far as ear plugs - I guess you would need it. For there was an Iron with SE behind me and he was saying, he felt as if he was running a Harley on electric power (noiseless). lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_genius View Post
Awesome Shubz...looks hot! Good choice on the V&H and the sound is WOW. So you did take the dive outside of the harley ecosystem..
Thank you sir. Yes with Harley dealers blessings, I took the plunge outside of the ecosystem. I personally feel, 5k on the odo and above, its time to look to enhance performance. "MY Personal opinion only, not advocating any rule"

Last edited by Shubz : 21st April 2014 at 16:00.
Old 21st April 2014, 16:52   #345
BANNED

Quote:

Ram sir - PV is what I was looking at as well. But as of now, I am still getting HD support if I run into any issues (god forbid) but with a PV, they will make me an orphan!

As far as ear plugs - I guess you would need it. For there was an Iron with SE behind me and he was saying, he felt as if he was running a Harley on electric power (noiseless). lol.

Thank you sir. Yes with Harley dealers blessings, I took the plunge outside of the ecosystem. I personally feel, 5k on the odo and above, its time to look to enhance performance. "MY Personal opinion only, not advocating any rule"
Dont worry about Service support.
When pv is married to ecm, it saves your stock map in a special location.
Before going in for service you can flash stock calibration back.
30secs is all it takes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks