Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2014, 02:06   #466
BHPian

Re: I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883

Great thread, Shubz.

Awesome to see HD really taking off in India. Not just HD, but serious enthusiast biking in general. Fantastic.

Keep up the spirit. Safe riding.

Regards.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 19:02   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
I am striving towards crossing 10000 kms during the World Ride between 20-22 June! So riding left right and center to leave enough to cross that coveted mark during that time! Some sense of achievement you know!

BTW - Whats on your ODO? How has your bike been performing? Any new mods on it?

Cheers,
Shubz
Hello, I have been a bit lazy of late courtesy the Delhi summers You can't step out without risking a heat stroke these days. My odo is a pathetic 1/3rd of yours with most rides are nearby half day things. I am planning a big one but with a crazy travel schedule guess my itch will have to wait...

Hope I am not too late in you handle bar discussion. If pure function is on your mind then Nightster one is good. If you are after the look, I have a couple of friends who have put on the full apes with cable extensions on the iron. Looks phenomenal if you are into that kind of look. While that is comfortable but bear in mind that it adds a bit of vibrations and reduces high speed control.

Happy finding your upgrades!
Old 21st June 2014, 23:42   #468
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_genius View Post
While that is comfortable but bear in mind that it adds a bit of vibrations and reduces high speed control.
You should suggest to your friends as well as consider for yourself these:

http://www.vibranator.com/harley_davidson_s/24.htm

Works like a champ!!

Cheers

Ride Safe.
Old 23rd June 2014, 14:48   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Hi.

The Speedo cable has some slack tucked in and will surely reach.

I would be more concerned about brake lines, throttle cables, etc.

The Nightster bar is an excellent choice for the Iron, and have tried one in our group who had switched. The wider bars gives you a lot more stability.
I believe it was direct replacement without any issues.
For the nightster bar - its a direct replacement without any modifications except for the brake line - they do a neat work of the mod.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by see India View Post
Shubz do let us know what you finalise on. Even I'm quite keen on getting the handle bar changed but interested in going towards the ape direction.
Ape is good if you are doing only touring. City rides would be a tad cumbersome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
The Nighster bars are a good choice. Being wider it's more comfortable, and does feel more stable. I have them on my Iron 883. You do need to change the brake cable though.
++1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_genius View Post
Hope I am not too late in you handle bar discussion. If pure function is on your mind then Nightster one is good. If you are after the look, I have a couple of friends who have put on the full apes with cable extensions on the iron.
Never too late ACgenius - I am not for looks. Pure function! So Ape is ruled out for me (personal choice)

HD dealer got the risers BUUUUUT -- in Chrome! And it wouldn't go well with my bike!
=========================
Having said all of the above, I am proud of myself - I completed 10k on the odo! That too on World Ride day!

I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-10k.jpg

Last edited by Shubz : 23rd June 2014 at 14:51.
Shubz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 08:30   #470
BANNED

Quote:
For the nightster bar - its a direct replacement without any modifications except for the brake line - they do a neat work of the mod.!

I completed 10k on the odo! That too on World Ride day!
Congrats on the 10K Milestone.

If you are replacing the bar, you could use the opportunity to upgrade to braided brake lines.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
Old 24th June 2014, 10:27   #471
BHPian

Oh well done on the 10K. Post some pics of the ride.
Warlock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 11:34   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Congrats on the 10K Milestone.

If you are replacing the bar, you could use the opportunity to upgrade to braided brake lines.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
Thank you sir! I am mulling between replacing handle bar AND handlebar risers. Replacing with Nightster bar seems to be the obvious approach adopted by many. I want know more about risers before making a choice.

Good pointer on the braided brake lines! Worth a consideration!
Old 24th June 2014, 13:19   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good pointer on the braided brake lines! Worth a consideration!
Shubz,

Be careful when selecting the Braided Brake lines. Gurus have told me that in the Braided Lines the rubber piping inside tends to be less stiffer/harder than an unbraided one.

So if one goes for the same size braided pipe as the OE, due to the fact that the rubber pipe inside allows a slightly higher expansion of the pipe itself - you may not feel any better effect at the braking (which is expected from the braided brake pipes). The trick, I have been told, is to go for a brided line of a size which is marginally smaller than the OE. This when combined with the tightness of the steel braiding, will offer a thighter braking experience.

The Gurus (specially those experienced on tracks) can may be explain this better.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Old 24th June 2014, 15:22   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Shubz,

Be careful when selecting the Braided Brake lines. Gurus have told me that in the Braided Lines the rubber piping inside tends to be less stiffer/harder than an unbraided one.

So if one goes for the same size braided pipe as the OE, due to the fact that the rubber pipe inside allows a slightly higher expansion of the pipe itself - you may not feel any better effect at the braking (which is expected from the braided brake pipes). The trick, I have been told, is to go for a brided line of a size which is marginally smaller than the OE. This when combined with the tightness of the steel braiding, will offer a thighter braking experience.

The Gurus (specially those experienced on tracks) can may be explain this better.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Yes sir. I kinda knew of this braided line thingy - more from logic than from any technicality.

rubber allows for some expansion, while braided one's would hold it tighter. So same sized braided pipes, could make it go spongy than firm.

next question is - how easy/hard is it to find the braided lines of lesser dia than OE! (knowing Harley well by how long it takes for things to arrive)
Old 27th June 2014, 17:14   #475
BHPian

Greetings Shubz, I refer to our conversation on the other thread about tuners. Does the SEST come with PC software to download the most optimum HD tune from the SE website? My only want is to run the bike cooler than its current state of tune. My queries to the local dealer have returned vague responses.
Cheers.
Old 30th June 2014, 15:28   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayant06 View Post
Greetings Shubz, I refer to our conversation on the other thread about tuners. Does the SEST come with PC software to download the most optimum HD tune from the SE website? My only want is to run the bike cooler than its current state of tune. My queries to the local dealer have returned vague responses.
Cheers.
Jayant,

The SESPRT does not come with a PC s/w that we can use. This is an auto-tuner and they download the appropriate map from the HD site and map the ECU. It sure runs cooler than with just slip on's.

Cheers
Shubz
Old 30th June 2014, 15:47   #477
BHPian

Thanks a bunch Shubz. The more I read about Xied, the more I am convinced that may be thats where I may get the most bang for buck. As I stated earlier, my objective is only to run Bob cooler. With my riding style quite a few of the stock horses are wasted anyway, to warrant any tune remap. What do you think?
Old 30th June 2014, 16:53   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayant06 View Post
Thanks a bunch Shubz. The more I read about Xied, the more I am convinced that may be thats where I may get the most bang for buck. As I stated earlier, my objective is only to run Bob cooler. With my riding style quite a few of the stock horses are wasted anyway, to warrant any tune remap. What do you think?
As mentioned earlier by me and by Dustom - XieD is a waste as it only knows to run a rich mixture. no matter what the condition is. So it will run rich even when it is not supposed to be running rich.

SESPRT - in fact is an auto-tuner - will manage fuel as per the requirement.

So this is the difference between $99 and $250 equipment
Old 24th July 2014, 16:31   #479
BHPian

Regret the delay, but work does not allow me to access this site as often as I'd like. I got the Nighster bars from the dealership. Will upload some pictures when I get another moment. In this thread you Shubz has posted pictures of a Shimoga Ride, you can see the riding comfort on the nightster bars in the picture just before the last one.
Warlock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 18:07   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
Regret the delay, but work does not allow me to access this site as often as I'd like. I got the Nighster bars from the dealership. Will upload some pictures when I get another moment. In this thread you Shubz has posted pictures of a Shimoga Ride, you can see the riding comfort on the nightster bars in the picture just before the last one.
Warlock! What a pleasant surprise when you told me who you were! So close, yet so much a stranger here!

Each time I think of riding your bike to get a feel of how nightster bar feel, I keep forgetting.

I just finished meeting CNT (on our usual evening coffee break) and he was mentioning, the bar raisers (4") made by Sandeep are costing 1400/- while at the dealership it would cost around 10k! Waiting for the finished product to be out!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks