Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2014, 12:35   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Thanks Doc! The cost of the handlebar along with labor and re-doing the front brake line -- ~8000/- (before deducting the HOG officers discount *wink* ) Worth it as I now have a metal piping for the brake line.
Very impressed by how many kms you have put on to the Hog in such a short time. You're definitely connecting to it way better than you did with the Duke - and it shows. That's the beauty of motorcycles. There's one for everybody!

P.S. Considering the price of other parts, the price seems comparatively reasonable. Especially if you got the brake lines done as well.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 13:17   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Very impressed by how many kms you have put on to the Hog in such a short time. You're definitely connecting to it way better than you did with the Duke - and it shows. That's the beauty of motorcycles. There's one for everybody!

P.S. Considering the price of other parts, the price seems comparatively reasonable. Especially if you got the brake lines done as well.
Thank you doc! Yes, I was pleasantly surprised at the cost too. Those puny risers were costing 9k (just the risers) and then add, labor, piping etc.

Moreover, nobody in India has done the riser thingy on the sportster (for the 2014 model) is what they told me and they were so unsure. and i didn't want to be the guinea pig for that as much I was tempted to. If the risers had actually looked their size and if I was convinced that it surely would raise the height, I would've gladly gone for it, unmindful of the exorbitant cost.
Old 7th August 2014, 13:20   #513
Senior - BHPian

With the risers your shoulder spread would still have remained the same.

The advantage now is that you have two handles to pick and choose from - in the same cost.
Old 7th August 2014, 13:29   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
With the risers your shoulder spread would still have remained the same.

The advantage now is that you have two handles to pick and choose from - in the same cost.
That is correct. Shoulder spread would still be the same. Hands at the handlebar level would've come up by a couple of inches.

With this, Shoulder spread has increased at least 4 inches each side - I can measure and confirm. Elbow is bent and much more relaxed. Did a 200+ km ride on Sunday with these, without wearing the elbow brace, felt no pain at all during/after the ride! So I guess I made a wise choice there!
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 19:28   #515
BHPian

Quote:
That is correct. Shoulder spread would still be the same. Hands at the handlebar level would've come up by a couple of inches.

With this, Shoulder spread has increased at least 4 inches each side - I can measure and confirm. Elbow is bent and much more relaxed. Did a 200+ km ride on Sunday with these, without wearing the elbow brace, felt no pain at all during/after the ride! So I guess I made a wise choice there!
Shubz, i guess the shoulder spread is about 2 inches. I had checked with Tanveer and was informed that there is an additional inch on both the sides.

I guess you have got the stock handlebar of the nightster model right ?
Old 8th August 2014, 11:47   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejith.j View Post
Shubz, i guess the shoulder spread is about 2 inches. I had checked with Tanveer and was informed that there is an additional inch on both the sides.

I guess you have got the stock handlebar of the nightster model right ?
Ok I stand corrected then. But I am sure it is more than just 1 inch. As I said, when am there tomorrow to pick my bike, I would do the necessary measuring.

Personally it felt the 4 inches though
Old 11th August 2014, 08:31   #517
BANNED

Quote:
Did a 200+ km ride on Sunday with these, without wearing the elbow brace, felt no pain at all during/after the ride!
To further ease your hands, and to dramatically reduce vibes, please try this:

http://www.vibranator.com/harley_davidson_s/24.htm

The "Old School Shift Indicator" vibrations on the bar will disappear, and now the shift indication will be only on the footpegs

Cheers

Ride Safe
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 11:23   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
To further ease your hands, and to dramatically reduce vibes, please try this:

http://www.vibranator.com/harley_davidson_s/24.htm

The "Old School Shift Indicator" vibrations on the bar will disappear, and now the shift indication will be only on the footpegs

Cheers

Ride Safe
Wow! The features are quite enticing. Are these just inserts into the open ends of the bar?

And "One type is chrome plated and the other is polished stainless steel. If the bar is magnetic, you have a chrome bar and this is the NOT the right bar for you" -- What does this mean?

Do you have pics of handlebars installed with these?

Appreciate your help!

Thankz!

While I can still edit: I just crossed 11K.

I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-11k.jpg

One issue: While changing the handlebars, I guess some connected (ECU) wasn't connected properly. So on my last Sunday ride, I was sensing some sputtering as though its running out of fuel.

I somehow managed to complete the ride and got the bike home in one piece. But towards the end, I could see the Engine warning light come on. On checking the DTC P0131. Something to do with Air intake sensor malfunctioning.

Next morning a friend of mine who is a HD staffer offered to take the bike to the service station to get it checked. But the bike wouldn't start, cranks, but doesn't start.

Called in RSA - Had the bike transported to HD service. They checked for it, replaced map sensor (under warranty) and I took the bike back on Saturday. BUT ---- The sputtering started all over again! No engine warning light, No DTC to check on.

Took it right back --- Thats when they figured that one of the connectors wasn't fully fitted in. confusing the ECU perhaps. Put that back in - and off we go for a longish test ride with the main service engineer astride. revved hard, rode fast etc - didn't occur!

Went on a ride to Yelagiri hills on Sunday (150+ kms each way) - No issues.

Thank god for that!

Last edited by Shubz : 11th August 2014 at 11:50.
Shubz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 12:33   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow! The features are quite enticing. Are these just inserts into the open ends of the bar?

And "One type is chrome plated and the other is polished stainless steel. If the bar is magnetic, you have a chrome bar and this is the NOT the right bar for you" -- What does this mean?

Went on a ride to Yelagiri hills on Sunday (150+ kms each way) - No issues.

Thank god for that!
Shubz, From what I understood from the site is that they have two types of products 1) for the 1" OD Chrome Bars and 2) 1" Stainless Steel Bars.

Using a magnet is the easitest way to see what bar you have - magnets are not supposed to stick on stainless steel. So use one to determine what bars you have and then order the right product.

I couldn't join you on the Yalagiri trip. I went on a 200 + spin on Saturday morning through Nandi Hills, and then took the back roads to Chikbellapur - coffe at Kamats, then to Lepakshi outskirts andback home. It was lone ranger trip after a long time but enjoyed the beautiful weather and the hum of the motor and it felt really good.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 11th August 2014 at 12:36.
Old 11th August 2014, 13:45   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Shubz, From what I understood from the site is that they have two types of products 1) for the 1" OD Chrome Bars and 2) 1" Stainless Steel Bars.

Using a magnet is the easitest way to see what bar you have - magnets are not supposed to stick on stainless steel. So use one to determine what bars you have and then order the right product.

I couldn't join you on the Yalagiri trip. I went on a 200 + spin on Saturday morning through Nandi Hills, and then took the back roads to Chikbellapur - coffe at Kamats, then to Lepakshi outskirts andback home. It was lone ranger trip after a long time but enjoyed the beautiful weather and the hum of the motor and it felt really good.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Thanks for the clarification, Ram sir! How I wish you could have joined us! The only downside would've been the hum of the motor may have been masked by roar of our VnH's! :-( (Just kidding)
Old 11th August 2014, 14:27   #521

Shubz when you called in RSA, were you charged for the pickup? The reason I'm asking because when I wanted to install v&h exhausts I was told by my dealer that if I do that it will void the warranty and then I will not get such services free of cost. Which otherwise I can enjoy for full two years.
Old 11th August 2014, 15:12   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by see India View Post
Shubz when you called in RSA, were you charged for the pickup? The reason I'm asking because when I wanted to install v&h exhausts I was told by my dealer that if I do that it will void the warranty and then I will not get such services free of cost. Which otherwise I can enjoy for full two years.
Good question!

Here is what it is -->

You get a Harley, You get RSA - you got an issue - bike cannot be ridden to the service center - you call RSA - they ask a few basic questions (like does it have fuel, it is damaged etc) - the tow vehicle comes in - Hauls the vehicle up and delivers it to the service center.

I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-tow1.jpg

I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-tow2.jpg

Now whether the issue reported comes under warranty or not - it is determined at the workshop.

Yes they do make you sign the disclaimer for warranty. But if they have installed it for you - they will fix it for you if something goes wrong.

Warranty is for different things like mechanical warranty, electrical warranty etc. So if you have had something done to the engine, if electricals fail, it will still be covered under warranty. (purists defining warranty may argue)

In my case - Map sensor was replaced without a charge.
Old 11th August 2014, 16:54   #523
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Good question!
Quote:
Shubz when you called in RSA, were you charged for the pickup?
Shubz, you didnt respond to this question. Iam also curious to know what were the charges ( if any)

Do you pay any extra charges for RSA enrollment? Also, what happened to map sensor and did the bike die on you somewhere on the highway and how long RSA took to pick it up?
Old 11th August 2014, 17:36   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The RSA program is FREE for the 1st year and is applicable all over India. There are some charges if you are beyond 200 kms from their nearest dealership afaik.

Quote:
Harley-Davidson® launches Roadside Assistance Program in India
New Delhi (22 May, 2013) - Revs up rider services giving customers world-class support and peace of mind while touring Indian roads

Harley-Davidson owners across the country now have another reason to enjoy every kilometer of their riding experience with the new Harley-Davidson Roadside Assistance Program. Launched in association with INDIA ASSISTANCE, a 100% subsidiary of leading international assistance company MAPFRE ASSISTANCE, the new roadside assistance program from Harley-Davidson India provides on-road assistance support to registered Harley-Davidson owners in all nine dealership locations across the country.

“As a brand built around the customer, Harley-Davidson is committed to providing our riders with a superior ownership experiences. With the team at INDIA ASSISTANCE, we are now offering a menu of important services, 24x7 support, and trucks that can safely and efficiently tow our entire model line-up. The roadside assistance program provides a sense of safety and comfort to our customers who can now cruise Indian roads with greater peace of mind. Our investment is in line with our long–term commitment to lead the development of leisure motorcycling in India.” said Anoop Prakash, Managing Director, Harley-Davidson India.

“MAPFRE ASSISTANCE in India is committed to stand up to the expectations set by Harley-Davidson in India the similar way it has been associated with Harley-Davidson in the USA, Canada & other international collaborations” said Navneet Gautam, Director, INDIA ASSISTANCE. The commitment is to provide absolute safety, security and peace of mind to Harley-Davidson owners non-stop 24/7 through dedicated contact center and trained staff.

The Roadside Assistance Program provides registered Harley-Davidson owners in India with efficient, convenient, and responsive rider services.
Warranty is not voided for any product installed by Harley dealerships and is usually more of a threat to avoid outside installations rather than anything substantial. And more than 50% of their biikes have V&H installations.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 18:03   #525

But then there's a gap somewhere. They say if you install V&H or any other non Harley fitment to the extent of even the shock absorbers they will ask you to fill in a disclaimer that the warranty is not void and you can't exercise any of benefits associated with the warranty.
Is it true to any extent or its just the guy at Capital Harley taking me for a ride.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks