Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2014, 00:03   #586
BHPian

Ear-plugs

On the subject of earplugs, I shall share my own experience.

I have had a custom made silicon ear plug for more than 10 years now. Still going strong. I mostly use it only on my solo rides to cut out the wind noise (not exhaust sound) esp here in Saudi in the open desert rides when it gets really bothersome and fatigues you out to some extent. I just used it today on a solo outing of about 350 kms with only the barren desert & winds for company. Does the job perfectly, but you can still hear the regular other sounds although a little muted ofcourse. I dont use it when riding 2-up with wife as I have the intercom and my Shoei Neotec is one of the quietest helmet I have ever used.

All the standard off-the-shelf ear plugs will have some shortcomings as our ear canals are all differently designed. Hence if somebody is seriously interested in going down that path, you can visit one of the hearing aid centers near your home. They will take a wax impression of your ear canal and make you an identical silicon ear plug (which they use for in-ear hearing aids). Maybe expensive as compared to the foam and other stuff, but this will serve you probably for decades! You can regularly wash it, sits flush in your ear, and it wont affect anything while putting on/removing helmet or eyeglasses or sunglasses etc.

Here is a pic of mine
Attached Thumbnails
I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-img_0778.jpg  

Last edited by Haroon : 24th September 2014 at 00:08.
Haroon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 11:45   #587
BHPian

Re: I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883

The point i am going to make is not to offend anyone.

If the bike is so loud that the rider needs ear plugs, imagine the kind of sound pollution it is creating for others on the road.
Worst affected are neighbors.

Modifications to the exhaust note should be done to enhance the experience of riding the bike. If it leads to painful ears, then we lost the plot.
sumeshmani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 12:36   #588
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
If the bike is so loud that the rider needs ear plugs, imagine the kind of sound pollution it is creating for others on the road. Worst affected are neighbors.

Modifications to the exhaust note should be done to enhance the experience of riding the bike. If it leads to painful ears, then we lost the plot.
Agree with you on this one. If exhaust is so loud that you need ear plugs then whats the point of riding without the sensory feel of entire bike?

I tried ear plugs maybe twice and it completely cuts you off from the outside world (feels surreal). I cant say I liked it so much that i would buy one and use it religiously for each ride

my personal opinion, ear plugs are a good option for real long tourers but, for shorter distances ( read < 500-600kms rides), I would prefer to hear the exhuast sound, traffic noise, air gushing through the helmet, vibrations ( or lack of it) of bike.

Basically, overall feel of bike which I found missing if i ride wearing the ear plugs

P.S: Maybe thats why i loved the stock exhaust of Bonnie. Pleasurable yet very very discreet
Old 24th September 2014, 12:50   #589
Senior - BHPian

I guess there are two types of riders -

Those who want to say "hey I am loud, look at me"

And then there are those who are long gone .... and don't need (or want) to say anything.

No offense.

Last edited by ebonho : 24th September 2014 at 12:58.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 13:03   #590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishekjp View Post
If anyone has more information about these baffles it would be great. I am also researching as to from where i should get it.
Shek - I still stand by - Hold off for 1K kms after the exhaust upgrade. then take a call. JPCycles is one place you could look at for the baffles. They stock different types.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
1k kms or so the slip-ons will settle down to a nice growl. Or you can always revert back to the stock slip-ons.
So rightly said! The nice Growl bit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
The point i am going to make is not to offend anyone.

If the bike is so loud that the rider needs ear plugs, imagine the kind of sound pollution it is creating for others on the road.
Worst affected are neighbors.

None taken, but you seriously have lost the plot! The point is here is not that the exhausts are soooo loud that you need earplugs. Should I bother to explain? Well - For the general benefit, let me explain.

These bikes a generally "loud", Exhaust mods do make them louder, one's hearing could be damaged if this sound enters the aural canal consistently over long distances. So the need for plugs. Not that one would stand at a busy intersection and scream "Whose daddy loudest?"

For all you know, one hears a rumble from a distance, gets louder, LOUD, and then gone - in a matter of few seconds.

Lets call the environmentalists!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Agree with you on this one. If exhaust is so loud that you need ear plugs then whats the point of riding without the sensory feel of entire bike?
Avi, ear plugs don't block the entire hearing, just mellows it a bit and for the reason I mentioned above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I guess there are two types of riders -

Those who want to say "hey I am loud, look at me"

And then there are those who are long gone .... and don't need to say anything.

No offense.
Doc! -- haha! Nice one!
Shubz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 13:06   #591
Distinguished - BHPian

Shubz, I reckon you must be in Hyderabad now and enjoying the big HOG show out here.

Have fun and share plenty of pictures and a detailed report

I and many of us here would be more interested to see the quirky side of the HOG like :-

Helmets, Tatoos, Hairdos, Bulging Biceps, Bare chests and ofcourse the rides too (So look forward to lot of such pics)
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 16:13   #592
BHPian

@mobike

you may see lot of pics similar to you and me just enjoying the rides and the party. I doubt if there would be many folks with the kind of image makeover similar to what you may have noticed in US. The bad guy look

Here it is very much people like you and me may be with a little jazzy helmets like the one with Shubz and what you wear.

@ Shubz

Enjoy your ride and SHR mate. Missed the party due to some work related commitment that I could not miss.
Dust_Harl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 14:54   #593
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys!

Just back from an awesome SHR! The ride was thrilling. It all unfolded with high drama - Thursday night it poured like there was no end. Friday morning it was still pouring, nevertheless I decided to defy nature and geared up and set out - To my surprise, mother nature relented and it completely stopped raining! We rode to Hyderabad! And here are a few pics. and yes, in the bargain, I completed 13000 kms!
Attached Thumbnails
I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-13k.jpg  

I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-shr1.jpg  

I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-shr2.jpg  

I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-shr3.jpg  

I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-shr8.jpg  

I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-shr7.jpg  

I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-shr4.jpg  

I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-shr6.jpg  

Shubz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 15:10   #594
Distinguished - BHPian

Subhz, were you riding back to Bangalore yesterday around 9:00am?

We were on the bangalore highway in drive-in restuarant and had our table on roadside and could see many HOG's riding back to Bangalore

I thought I spotted a couple of orange Iron's as they thundered by
Old 29th September 2014, 15:21   #595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Subhz, were you riding back to Bangalore yesterday around 9:00am?

We were on the bangalore highway in drive-in restuarant and had our table on roadside and could see many HOG's riding back to Bangalore

I thought I spotted a couple of orange Iron's as they thundered by
No Avi, We were out by 6:45/7 am and by 9 we were way past Hyderabad! We wanted to avoid the mad rush to return and also it has been raining heavily in Bangalore every evening, so wanted to get home much before the skies opened up!
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 20:24   #596
BHPian

Missed this years SHR. Drooling over the photos of all those parked Harleys! especially the first in the row -Amber whisky - is it a street glide or a Fatboy? My ride is getting ready. will lay my hands on the HD in 1-2 weeks time. Exietemnt building up.
SDRam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 15:32   #597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRam View Post
Missed this years SHR. Drooling over the photos of all those parked Harleys! especially the first in the row -Amber whisky - is it a street glide or a Fatboy? My ride is getting ready. will lay my hands on the HD in 1-2 weeks time. Exietemnt building up.
Ram sir, donchya worry! HD is never short of excitement! Get your machine! Ride along with us! :-)

We shall build up the excitement for the upcoming IBW! #LLB
Old 15th October 2014, 16:30   #598
BHPian

Excitement with a pinch of fear I feel - fear of unknown maybe - since not used to riding a two wheeler now for a long time and that to I am going for a heavy bike like this.
Old 16th October 2014, 13:29   #599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Excitement with a pinch of fear I feel - fear of unknown maybe - since not used to riding a two wheeler now for a long time and that to I am going for a heavy bike like this.
Fortune favors the brave! Donchya worry, you would do good!
Old 17th October 2014, 14:19   #600
BHPian

Quote:

I picked up my bike even with same fear but trust me the way Harley or any bike from this segment ride is little different compared to your previous experience. I picked up riding almost after a break of 10 years.

Don't worry! There are enough riders around you to assist you with your ride. The best part of the HOG rides are that there are a mix of people riding at top speed, at average speed and at low speed enjoying the road. There is always a sweep to assist us during these rides.

As "The Day" approaches, I suppose you should start looking at riding gear and suggest you ride with "all gear all time" from day one. Refer to riding gear thread in case you want to explore on good jackets, gloves, shoes, riding pants etc.

See you soon. #LLB
Dust_Harl is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks