Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2013, 14:40   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
For the uniqueness, can you try for registering it on 11/12/13? that will be a fantastic date and ur resale values will not matter much because any sane thinking person will know the case.

Side Mounted Registration Plates are not approved by law Sir.
Mahesh sir,

This I am not sure - that side mounted plates (pointing rear / not sidewards) are illegal. Is there any link that you can share that gives us more details about this?

Thanks,
Old 5th December 2013, 15:53   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Side Mounted Registration Plates are not approved by law
Absolutely not. Number of Mahindras have side mounted registration plates, so does some previous models of Endeavours and other similar vehicles. Harley gives the side mounted plates as OE options. Anything illegal would not have been supplied so.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 16:02   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Absolutely not. Number of Mahindras have side mounted registration plates, so does some previous models of Endeavours and other similar vehicles. Harley gives the side mounted plates as OE options. Anything illegal would not have been supplied so.
Thats what I thought so as well. HD would not allow anything that's illegal (at least the basics)

Secondly - these are NOT side facing registration plates. Just side mounted. as in the attached pic.
Attached Thumbnails
I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-hd-numberplate.jpg  

Shubz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 16:32   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely not. Number of Mahindras have side mounted registration plates, so does some previous models of Endeavours and other similar vehicles. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Thats what I thought so as well. HD would not allow anything that's illegal (at least the basics)
Dear Dheeraj & Shubz,
Have attached the CMVR Act 1989 which specifies the location of Number plate and its dimensions. I have not read any verbiage that says it allows the Side Mounted Number Plates.
Now would leave it with your assumptions to deduce if it is legal or illegal.

Cmvr1989.pdf
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 16:37   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have attached the CMVR Act 1989 which specifies the location of Number plate and its dimensions.
Lolz. Attaching 174 pages of the act does not drive home your point. The side mounted plate is perfectly legal by even the act's definition. It just has to be the proper size, which it is.
Old 5th December 2013, 16:57   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lolz. Attaching 174 pages of the act does not drive home your point.
Well Sir, then i rest my case. Ignorance is bliss goes the old English saying. Atleast it gave you a good laugh
Old 5th December 2013, 17:01   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post

Secondly - these are NOT side facing registration plates. Just side mounted.
The side mounted number plate looks fantastic.
But always make sure that you take the number plate into account while passing through a gap. Especially while wading through B'lore traffic. Also, the cons of riding a superbike through traffic is that people tend to get very close to you and might damage the number plate in the process!
Porschefire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 17:03   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Dheeraj & Shubz,
Have attached the CMVR Act 1989 which specifies the location of Number plate and its dimensions. I have not read any verbiage that says it allows the Side Mounted Number Plates.
Now would leave it with your assumptions to deduce if it is legal or illegal.

Attachment 1174932
'

Am still going through it. But I found this interesting rule.

208[(2) On all vehicles other than motor cycles, 209[the intention to stop the vehicle (other than construction equipment vehicle having hydrostatic brakes)] shall be indicated by two electrical stop lamps which shall be red in colour and shall be fitted one on each left and right-hand sides at the rear of the vehicle. The stop lamps shall light up on the actuation of the service brake control. In the case of motor cycle, the intention to stop the
vehicle shall be indicated by one stop lamp at the rear which shall light up on the actuation of the control operating the brakes on the rear wheels.]

The Irons have two at the rear. Illegal?

Porschefire: The side mounted number plate is not rigid. Its spring loaded and moves either ways. But you are so right - Got to ensure other vehicles don't come too close for comfort

Last edited by Shubz : 5th December 2013 at 17:04.
Shubz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 17:08   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ignorance is bliss goes the old English saying. Atleast it gave you a good laugh
It's not a matter of Ignorance, my dear friend but hard facts. Quoting the relevant parts from the document you attached -

Quote:
(v) the plate shall be fastened with non-removable/non-reusable snap lock fitting system on rear of the vehicle at the premises of the registering authority;
The license plates with all the above specifications and the specified registrations for a vehicle shall be issued by the registering authority or approved the license plates manufacturers or their dealers. The Central Road Research Institute, New Delhi or any of the agency authorized by the Central Government shall approve the license plates manufacturers to the above specification;
(vi) the size of the plate for different categories of vehicles shall be as follows:—
For two and three-wheelers 200 x 100 mm
For Light Motor Vehicles/Passenger cars 340x200mm/500x 120 mm
For medium commercial vehicles, heavy
commercial vehicles and Trailer/combination
340 x200 mm:
Provided that this sub-rule shall apply to already registered vehicles two years from the
date of commencement:]
81[Provided further that the size of the registration plates for agricultural tractors shall be
as follows:—
Front - - 285x45 mm
Rear - 200x100 mm]:
82[Provided also that the size of registration plate for power tiller shall be 285x45 mm and shall be exhibited at the front. Further, in case of trailer coupled to power tiller, the size of registration plate shall be 200x100 mm and shall be exhibited on its rear:]
83[Provided also that in case of a motor cycle, the size of 285x45 mm for front registration plate shall also be permitted.]
(2) In the case of motor cycles the registration mark in the front shall be displayed parallel to the handle bar or on any part of the vehicle including mudguard facing the front instead of, on a plate in line with the axis of the vehicle:]
Clearly by that definition the side mounted plate is perfectly legal as it adheres to the size requirements and is front facing and NOT in line with the axis of the vehicle.

So it does give me a good laugh when people quote without fully understanding the law.
dkaile is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 17:20   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's not a matter of Ignorance, my dear friend but hard facts. Quoting the relevant parts from the document you attached -

So it does give me a good laugh when people quote without fully understanding the law.
Oh Oh Mr Dheeraj, Please read the below which was on the same chapter. Appears that you skipped/overlooked reading it. When they have clearly mentioned it as front & Rear with no inference being given to Side Mounts I am still trying to comprehend what you said.

Please refer to the page 39.

Quote:
79[50. Form and manner of display of registration marks on the motor vehicles.—80[(1)
On or after commencement of this rule, the registration mark referred to in sub-section
(6) of section 41 shall be displayed both at the front and at the rear of all motor vehicles
clearly and legibly in the form of security license plate of the following specifications,
namely:—
(i) the plate shall be a solid unit made of 1.0 mm aluminium conforming to DIN 1745/DIN
1783 or ISO 7591. Border edges and corners of the plate shall be rounded to avoid
injuries to the extent of approx. 10 mm and the plates must have an embossed border.
The plate shall be suitable for hot stamping and reflective sheet has to be guaranteed for
imperishable nature for minimum five years. The fast colouring of legend and border to
be done by hot stamping;
(ii) the plate should bear the letters "IND" in blue colour on the extreme left centre of the
plate. The letter should be one-fourth of the size of letters mentioned in rule 51 and
should be buried into the foil or applied by hot stamping and should be integral part of
the plate;
(iii) each plate shall be protected against counterfeiting by applying chromium-based
hologram, applied by hot stamping. Stickers and adhesive labels are not permitted. The
plate shall bear a permanent consecutive identification number of minimum seven digits,
to be laser branded into the reflective sheeting and hot stamping film shall bear a
verification inscription;
(iv) apart from the registration marks on the front and rear, the third registration mark in
the form of self-destructive type, chromium based hologram sticker shall be affixed on
the left-hand top side of the windshield of the vehicle. The registration details such as
registration number, registering authority, etc., shall be printed on the sticker. The third
registration mark shall be issued by the registering authorities/approved dealers of the
license plates manufacturer alongwith the regular registration marks, and thereafter if
such sticker is destroyed it shall be issued by the license plate manufacturer or his
dealer;
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 17:24   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please read the below which was on the same chapter. Appears that you skipped/overlooked reading it.
Nope dear, I did not miss anything. The side mounted plate is mounted on the rear of the vehicle and it is nowhere mentioned where on the rear. So it is perfectly legal to have a side mounted plate on the rear of the vehicle. Unless you once again want to make a mountain out of a molehill, which most Harley critics do. In fact the law goes further to state where they should be placed in the front which I have quoted in my previous post, as they did not want parallel plates like many Enfield owners used to place on the front mudguard. They want one for the front and one anywhere on the rear and both should be front facing, period.

Last edited by dkaile : 5th December 2013 at 17:34.
dkaile is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 17:35   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope dear, I did not miss anything. The side mounted plate is mounted on the rear of the vehicle and it is nowhere mentioned where on the rear. So its is perfectly legal. Unless you once again want to make a mountain out of a molehill, which most Harley critics do.
Mate,
Am least interested or keen to know how one does their motorcyles up as long as the owner is clear about what he is getting into. Contributed my 2 cents so that it sets their expectations.

Please do apply some thought and think how can a side mounted rear number plate which is fastened to the rear suspension be called as rear mounted number plate? Would leave it with you and your understanding capabilities.

Quote:
shall be displayed both at the front and at the rear of all motor vehicles
PS: Am no Harley Critic and if you look at my ownership log, I had made a booking for an Iron 883, long long ago which I was forced to cancel just because the dealer could not keep up his word.

Last edited by ku69rd : 5th December 2013 at 17:39.
Old 5th December 2013, 17:43   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please do apply some thought and think how can a side mounted rear number plate which is sitting on the axle of rear tire be called as rear mounted number plate? Would leave it with you and your understanding capabilities.

PS: Am no Harley Critic and if you look at my ownership log, I had made a booking for an Iron 883, long long ago which I was forced to cancel just because the dealer could not keep up his word.
As far as the current discussion goes, I see it going nowhere. As you yourself have quoted -

"the registration mark ~ shall be displayed both at the front and at the rear of all motor vehicles"

Now, where on the front is somehow more clearly specified separately. But to say that the rear side mounted plate on the aforementioned Harley photograph published by Shubz, is anywhere else on the vehicle except the rear side is beyond my comprehension and I think any sane person would surely agree with me that that indeed is the rear of the vehicle. I would like to end this discussion from my side on this.

Cheers...

Note from Support - Post edited. Please avoid getting personal.

Last edited by n_aditya : 5th December 2013 at 20:10.
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 17:51   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think any sane person would surely agree with me that that indeed is the rear of the vehicle. I would like to end this discussion from my side on this.
Suppose you are failing to see the writing on the wall. The part is described as Side Mount Rear Number Plate and not Rear Mount Number Plate. I can only communicate but i cannot ensure you understand.

Note from Support - Originally quoted post has been edited. Your reply to it has therefore been removed.

Last edited by n_aditya : 5th December 2013 at 20:11.
Old 5th December 2013, 17:55   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can only communicate but i cannot ensure you understand.
Same here. Lets keep the discussion civil and you may open a seperate thread to discuss and take views of other members if you so feel and let us not deviate from the OP's topic.

Most Viewed