Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2014, 10:57   #226
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883

Happy new year all. Could owners of superlows n Irons please advise . Of the two bikes which one is more comfortable as regards posture, lower back, long rides, bumpy roads. A single test ride can prove inconclusive, however long term use, in my opinion would give proper experience. Experienced owners, please could you advise, as i unfortunately got a slipped disc due to that horrible springy seat of the RE500.
Old 3rd January 2014, 15:51   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by argchoff View Post
Happy new year all. Could owners of superlows n Irons please advise . Of the two bikes which one is more comfortable as regards posture, lower back, long rides, bumpy roads. A single test ride can prove inconclusive, however long term use, in my opinion would give proper experience. Experienced owners, please could you advise, as i unfortunately got a slipped disc due to that horrible springy seat of the RE500.
Couldn't PM you, hence the reply.

the XL and Iron have a similar seat. Seating however is different. Iron has more sporty posture while XL has a more relaxed posture. IMHO - XL is better as far as posture+seat is concerned.

Dhiraj (@dkaile) could pitch in with his comments too.

Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 17:45   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by argchoff View Post
Could owners of superlows n Irons please advise . Of the two bikes which one is more comfortable as regards posture, lower back, long rides, bumpy roads.
Frankly Harleys are best driven on paved roads. For a perfect ride on bumpy and rough roads you would require a suspension upgrade which can cost between 20~40k. This includes softer and 12.5" rear springs which increases ground clearance as well as softens the ride and also new rough road springs for the front shocks. Both are available as an option. Between the Superlow and the Iron, it is the Superlow which has a more compliant ride as well better long distance riding posture. I have no complaints till date on the OE setup but then I don't have lower back/slip disc issues. You can read my Superlow's ownership experience here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...ve-review.html

Last edited by dkaile : 3rd January 2014 at 17:46.
dkaile is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 23:06   #229
BHPian

Hi Shubz.. After a huge amount thinking and analyzing i have decided to book Iron 883. I loved the side mounting number plate that you have put up. Did you have to pay extra for that ? also i wanted to know if any of the local traffic police had any issues with fixing it on a side than on a rear ?
Abhishekjp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 23:14   #230
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Abhi. The side number plate is an accessory costing around 12k. And I was stopped once for speeding and the senior cop only said, sir ur number plate has folded in the wind. He straightened it himself. :-)
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 23:35   #231
BHPian

ok..great.. I am also going for Amber Whiskey clr.. That color blew me away when i had visited the Goa dealer abt 2 months go. This thread has been very helpful for me in finalizing on Iron. I currently own Avenger (2005 - First bike, first love ) and RE Classic 350 (2010 ) and dying to add HD to my garage (Guess my dad is gonna disown me once i get my HD. So i decided not to tell him anything till i get the bike delivery. Hope the charm of Iron cools my old man down asap. Cheers.
Abhishekjp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 12:12   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Congrats Abhi. The side number plate is an accessory costing around 12k
Wow, the side number plate is 12K? Isn't that something you could have done yourself from an outside accessory/number plate making store?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishekjp View Post
ok..great.. I am also going for Amber Whiskey clr.. That color blew me away when i had visited the Goa dealer abt 2 months go.
Congrats Abhishek on the Amber Whisky Iron 883, it's a beautiful color. I also like the Navy Blue which I test rode couple of weeks back with tan leather seats. Btw, what is the OTR price of the Iron in Goa and what are the accesorries that your planning to go for the bike before leaving the showroom? Look forward to an ownership report on the forum. Enjoy !!
Old 3rd February 2014, 12:20   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Wow, the side number plate is 12K? Isn't that something you could have done yourself from an outside accessory/number plate making store?

Congrats Abhishek on the Amber Whisky Iron 883, it's a beautiful color. I also like the Navy Blue which I test rode couple of weeks back with tan leather seats. Btw, what is the OTR price of the Iron in Goa and what are the accesorries that your planning to go for the bike before leaving the showroom? Look forward to an ownership report on the forum. Enjoy !!
Avi - A lot can be done from an outside store. This number plate accessory has the LED illumination circuit as well and is not a simple fix as it seems to be.. And the one that is fitted (or the one's used by HD here) aren't the normal skeleton kinda plates that are available in the US and other parts of the world. Plus there is the threat of "Warranty void" if anything done by outside folks.

The Amber Whiskey at the Goa showroom - 2 weeks ago - Was it during the IBW? Then its the same they rode from Bangalore, displayed it at their Goa show room.

The Navy blue would be pre 2014 model. I guess (not sure) they stopped the Navy Blue in 2012?
Old 3rd February 2014, 14:19   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Navy blue would be pre 2014 model. I guess (not sure) they stopped the Navy Blue in 2012?
When I test rode the Iron, the salesman said Amber and Navy were supposed to be discontinued for 2014 as HD usually changes colors each year but, both have been retained for 2014

According to him, even the Navy blue will be available this year

Btw, what is the tank capacity of Iron, Reserve capacity and FE that you get in City/Highway?
Old 3rd February 2014, 14:22   #235
Senior - BHPian

Navy will not be available in India. At least as far as the information out of Tusker Harley.. the FE in city is 17/18 kmpl. 24/25 kmpl on highways.

Edit: Tank capacity is 12.5L. Usable is close to 9 lts. Rest is required for the Fuel pump.

Last edited by Shubz : 3rd February 2014 at 14:50.
Old 3rd February 2014, 21:12   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

I stay in Mumbai. I had been to Goa last month and came to know abt the newly opened HD dealer so stepped in to check the bikes out. Given the budget constraints that i have, i was primarily looking for a superlow. But the moment i saw the Iron 883, just could not keep my eyes off her. It was at that moment that i decided to test drive it once back in Mumbai.

I am a skinny guy and so wasnt sure if i will be able to handle the 256 kg beast even though i ve been riding classic 350 since last 3 years. After i was back in Mumbai, i went to the mumbai HD dealer and test drove it. Not even at a single moment did i feel its weight or any handling issue. So that was it. Mind was set and somehow my wifey too fell in love with the machine. So no stopping now. Worked out my finances and its time to do the most insane thing i ve ever done in my life given 8 lac is way over my budget.

As i stay outside mumbai zone i will doing the registration on my own and guess wht ?? no octroi will be levied too. So its gonna be 6.91 lakh (Ex shoroom price that i will pay to the dealer) + 60k for registration + 33k for accessaries which will include 16k for engine guard, 7k for pillon , 7k for footpegs + 3k for Fuel filler kit (Is this actually required ??). Will keep you posted on the developments. Cheers. Ride safe.
Old 3rd February 2014, 22:25   #237
Senior - BHPian

Fuel filter kit? What is that? Do you have pictures of it? I was not offered any fuel kits. Even I am a skinny guy. :-) so don't worry, you will be happily be able to handle it. Congrats again! When are you getting thr bike?
Old 3rd February 2014, 23:44   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Fuel filter kit? What is that? Do you have pictures of it? I was not offered any fuel kits. Even I am a skinny guy. :-) so don't worry, you will be happily be able to handle it. Congrats again! When are you getting thr bike?

Its a fuel cap lock. I was told that it was one of the essential accessories as i had made it very clear that i would not be going for anything beyond basic accessories. I was so excited abt the machine that i did not bother asking them in detail abt it.Will check it once i book my iron next week.
Old 4th February 2014, 05:48   #239
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Navy will not be available in India. At least as far as the information out of Tusker Harley.. the FE in city is 17/18 kmpl. 24/25 kmpl on highways. Edit: Tank capacity is 12.5L. Usable is close to 9 lts. Rest is required for the Fuel pump.
What's the fuel quality to be used ? HD website mentions Octane 91 or higher.
Old 4th February 2014, 05:51   #240
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishekjp View Post
So its gonna be 6.91 lakh (Ex shoroom price that i will pay to the dealer) + 60k for registration + 33k for accessaries which will include 16k for engine guard, 7k for pillon , 7k for footpegs + 3k for Fuel filler kit (Is this actually required ??). Will keep you posted on the developments. Cheers. Ride safe.
Didn't you forget the insurance ? Would cross 8 then

Most Viewed