Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2015, 10:26   #736
Senior - BHPian

Re: I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Shubz I went through the entire thread, would be great if you could summarise the salient points on what made you upgrade so early. I ask this because I was kindoff trying to finalise Iron. A following comparo between the two would also be great !
Ok Let me quickly summarize

An awesome machine.
Good riding stance.
With the Stage 1 upgrade - Good power.
Could be used for city.
Did almost 20k in one year or less.
customizable to the T (as all Harleys are)

Dislikes:
Engine heat
Handle bar vibes (upgraded to Nighster handlebar)
poor suspension ( Upgraded front suspension to Roadster ones)
Poor GC - used to scrape the bottom. Worse when two up.

Was keen on doing the Big 5 this year. And wanted a better machine to do the long runs.

Dabbled with the thought of V-Rod & Fatboy.

V-rod - because of the sports genes. Gave up as its not suitable for long hauls because of the riding stance.

Didn't want to get into the Dyna family and then yearn to upgrade to Softails. So one look at the Fatboy - as they say in Hindi -- Fidaa!

I still had my own doubts about my ability to handle such a mean beast. I had similar apprehensions when going for the Iron as well (you may have read it in my initial post) I am not a macho/mascular 6-packed guy. I got the lean gene. Yet I am able to ably handle this monster and have clocked almost 6000 kms on the Odo.

Feel free to ask for more

Cheers!
Shubz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 20:36   #737
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Likes: An awesome machine. Dislikes: Engine heat, Handle bar vibes
poor suspension

Was keen on doing the Big 5 this year. And wanted a better machine to do the long runs.

Fatboy - as they say in Hindi -- Fidaa!

I still had my own doubts about my ability to handle such a mean beast. I had similar apprehensions when going for the Iron as well (you may have read it in my initial post) I am not a macho/mascular 6-packed guy. I got the lean gene. Yet I am able to ably handle this monster and have clocked almost 6000 kms on the Odo.
Thanks for summarizing!

So the Likes are of Iron ?

Ahh..now see the dislikes have been similar to what I found during the TD. How much did the suspension upgrade cost ?

Can understand the "Love at 1st sight" with Softail Fat.

Im almost in the same boat but it aint such a fidaa story so far but more like slow & gradual. Actually during TD of the Fat Bob I wanted it to end fast or swap with the executive midway because no where did I feel comfortable on the bike. Maybe because the moron took me through the worst of roads(utterly crowded) & full of potholes & multiple speed-breakers.

So now I plan to revisit the TDs with a new approach, lets see if it works..Will bombard you with queries post that
AWD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 20:47   #738
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks for summarizing!

Maybe because the moron took me through the worst of roads(utterly crowded) & full of potholes & multiple speed-breakers.

So now I plan to revisit the TDs with a new approach, lets see if it works..Will bombard you with queries post that
Hehe! It does not matter where he takes you for a test ride. He still earns his salary. But should have kept it in 2nd and flown through speed breakers and pot holes.
After all its just a test ride!
On a serious note, you can get in touch with local hogs for feed back, or even a longish test ride if someone is willing.
Or ask the showroom manager for a test ride on an open road where you can open throttle. Try to open it full in 2nd and 3rd gear.
If you come back alive to post your experience here , I am sure you would be smiling!
Old 6th August 2015, 11:10   #739
Senior - BHPian

Test ride on an open road where one could open the throttle may not be complied with. Letting prospective customers take a test ride itself is a big thing for the HD folks! They'd be worried -- as dustom sir aptly put -- whether the test rider would come back alive!

So whatever impression you get, is from the street ride that you get.

My personal recommendation -- do the TR a few times. and tell them you gonna post the TR experience on various forums in all detail. lol

Cheers!
Old 6th August 2015, 20:26   #740
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
kept it in 2nd and flown through speed breakers and pot holes.
After all its just a test ride!
Or ask the showroom manager for a test ride on an open road where you can open throttle.
If you come back alive to post your experience here , I am sure you would be smiling!
Flying over the speed breakers Wont be the best thing to do I guess.

Yes they themselves volunteered for a more inclusive TD.

Err...riding/driving insane ain't me. I drive very carefully staying street legal.

Quote:
Test ride on an open road where one could open the throttle
do the TR a few times. and tell them you gonna post the TR experience on various forums in all detail.
Will try to do that. Yes already conveyed to the dealing executive that its going to be a series of test rides & not just a couple, he replied "you are welcome sir".

Btw between all this I saw a very gory accident, two wheelers were crushed to death by a roadways bus. There was no fault of the 2 wheelers, the bus just struck them from behind & continued to mow them. Add to this 90% of the "informed" peeps suggest to stay from a 2 wheeler, specially when you have a 4 wheeler. A close friend today said, it may not be your fault but who knows what the other moron is capable of doing, then no one lends a helping hand when you lie injured on the road, enter the hospital & yet another ordeal starts! All this & more are really between me & the next bike! Don't know how im going to decide.
Old 6th August 2015, 20:43   #741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
then no one lends a helping hand when you lie injured on the road, enter the hospital & yet another ordeal starts! All this & more are really between me & the next bike! Don't know how im going to decide.
There is no guarantee to life. I know of an uncle of my ex-colleague, who never bought a bike for this same reason. He was knocked down by a car while waiting at a bus stop. So can one stop going to the bus stop or even walk out of our homes?

Another relative of mine, just twisted her ankle while at home and was in a cast for a long time. So should she have stopped walking?

I, myself, met with an accident with the Iron -- the front just gave away on gravel filled road, and I was on 3 digit speeds. I walked out of it with a limp - advised by one and all -- "See I told you! Give up! Buy a car instead! Blah & Blah!" I recuperated - Hallelujah! went for a heavier, more massive of a beast! Beat that?

There is no dearth of naysayers as much as there is no dearth of Harley haters! You can do as much you can. Rest - you leave it to the Force!

Do NOT have any apprehension when going for a bike. If you do, then Do not go for the bike, god forbid something goes wrong, everyone would line up to say "See I told you so!"

:-)

Cheers!

Last edited by Shubz : 6th August 2015 at 20:45.
Shubz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 15:06   #742

Hello,

First off, @Shubz I've enjoyed your reviews both on the 883 and your brand new FatBoy. Pretty much sums up the same feels of what I went through in the last couple of months

I picked my brand new Iron 883 2016 (Olive Gold) last evening, and absolutely loving every bit of it. Had the standard 3 month gruelling wait to go through, though the 2015 was available within 15days. I was instantly sold on the colour the moment I saw it, as it contrasts well with the rest of the blacked out bike.

There are a few new features/upgrades on the 2016 model;

*New air-filters
*Adjustable rear suspension
*New "Tuck and Roll" Seats (super comfy)
*New alloy wheels
*Blacked out exhausts
*Minor design changes, like the buck shots on exhaust and forward fender; Decal on the tank (screams Americana, not a big fan)
*Colour options: Denim Black,

Accessories added:

*Mustache Engine Guard
*Side-Mount License Plate Kit
*Chopped Fender Edge Light Kit
*Bike cover

Side note: Anyone in Bangalore looking for a new Harley Purchase, go see Ram at Tusker Harley, he'll sort you out! He went the extra mile for me.

Looking forward to kick-off my biking journey and hope to meet you guys on the road

Mr.V
Mr_V is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 17:34   #743

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_V View Post
I picked my brand new Iron 883 2016 (Olive Gold) last evening, and absolutely loving every bit of it.
Forgot to upload the picture
Attached Thumbnails
I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-img_3862.jpg  

Mr_V is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 20:50   #744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_V View Post
Forgot to upload the picture
Congratulations. Don't forget to add a black cowbell horn, Diamond Black hand grips and then after the 3k break-in, get the proper Harley sound by a proper exhaust upgrade from 2 Brothers, Cobra, V&H or Screamin Eagles.

Ride safe. Ride fully geared.

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 11:17   #745
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Mr. V! Thats an awesome color. Dhiraj did make some good suggestions.

I hope you have got yourself some gear. See you soon on some rides. Of late I have not been able to ride as much as I'd have liked to. But would surely get back sooner than later!
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 11:36   #746

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Congratulations. Don't forget to add a black cowbell horn, Diamond Black hand grips and then after the 3k break-in, get the proper Harley sound by a proper exhaust upgrade from 2 Brothers, Cobra, V&H or Screamin Eagles.

Ride safe. Ride fully geared.

Cheers...
Thank you dkaile

I'll take your suggestions on the horn and Grip

Gameplan for exhaust upgrade, have shortlisted these bad boys

*Two Brothers : Comp-S 2-1 Ceramic Black & Carbon Fiber Exhaust System
*Roland Sands Design : Slant 2 Into 1 Exhaust
*Vance&Hines : Short Shots

+Handlebar risers
++Memphis Shades Cafe Fairing

I'm looking at going in for these post 4-5 months of riding. Would love to hear your thoughts on any other upgrades.

Quote:
Congratulations Mr. V! Thats an awesome color. Dhiraj did make some good suggestions.

I hope you have got yourself some gear. See you soon on some rides. Of late I have not been able to ride as much as I'd have liked to. But would surely get back sooner than later!
Thank you Shubz

My gear shopping is yet to be completed. But have the basics set right, safety first always If you see a guy on a green Iron with a Shark Raw helmet in Bangalore, holla at me

Last edited by mobike008 : 11th December 2015 at 16:50. Reason: Only 2 smileys per post. Please read the rules of forum before continuing. Cheers!
Old 11th December 2015, 13:07   #747
Senior - BHPian

Sure Mr. V. Now V for Venkat?

Anyway - for Gear - I'd strongly recommend, try the Dainese store at Orion mall. Try not to compromise on safety. I am a living example of walking out of a crash -- thanks to Dainese gear from shoulder to toe.

Had Shark Stipple S700 on the head

Cheers
Shubz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 11:50   #748

Hey guys,

Did my first run to Nandi Hills Bangalore. The ride was pleasant and not as much rush as I expected it to be going up the hill. The fellow rider who I rode along with had a slight bit of a mishap, lost control of the bike on an uneven surface. Both biker and the bike came through it fine It's times like this that you need to respect the machine and be careful of it at all times

On the way back we stopped at "Indian Paratha Company". Had parked the bike where it was visible at all times to me. I left it for literally a few seconds out of my sight, during which a moron parked his bike right next to mine in close proximity making sure his break handle nicked my tail-light! I made sure I gave him a piece of mind, as he clearly needed a lesson in respecting others property!

Apart from that incident, the ride was and I'm still getting used to the machine

Have posted a link below of the ride. Apologies for the poor edit and wind noise (working on fixing the problem, suggestion are welcome)

Mr_V is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2015, 18:17   #749
BHPian

That is a GREAT ride to nandi hills Mr. V; i am so close to picking-up a Iron 883 (best looking motorcycle in my eyes) however i am torn between 2016 Iron 883 and the upcoming Triump Bonneville Street Twin. Hence i am pushing the buying decision to post Delhi Auto Expo.

Could you please share an ownership experience of the new Iron? is it under-powered for its weight for active cruising at highway speeds? vibrations? heat in dense traffic? average fuel consumption figures? Thank you!
Invader is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2015, 19:15   #750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader View Post

Could you please share an ownership experience of the new Iron? is it under-powered for its weight for active cruising at highway speeds? vibrations? heat in dense traffic? average fuel consumption figures? Thank you!
Refer to post 736 by Shubz for most of your queries. In addition, I believe he was getting upwards of 20 on the highway.

Also, since the new Iron only differs in terms of suspension, most observations will still hold.

Most Viewed