Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2013, 22:17   #1
BHPian

Ducati 1199 Panigale S - Ayrton Senna Limited Edition

Quote:
While all the talk for 2014 is about the Ducati 1199 Panigale R Superleggera (say that three times fast), the Bologna Brand has another version of the Panigale superbike for us to gawk at: the Ducati 1199 Panigale S Senna.
A limited edition model to commemorate the passing of F1 star Ayrton Senna, only 161 of these special edition Panigale S superbikes will be sold (one for each of Senna’s GP race starts), and they will only be available in Brazil.
Produced in accordance with the Senna Foundation, the Ducati 1199 Panigale S Senna features the same unique matte black bodywork and red wheels that Senna picked out for himself back in 1994, just ahead of his fateful race in Imola.
Ducati has a long tradition of creating “Senna” edition superbikes, dating back to the 1995 Ducati Superbike 916 Senna I, a similarly done-up Ducati Superbike 916SP. Making two more iterations in 1997 and 1998, Ducati is now renewing its homage to the great Brazilian F1 Champion.
Accordingly, each of the 161 motorcycles will come with a racing exhaust system, and will have its individual production number inscribed on the top fork clamp. Number 01/161 of the Ducati 1199 Panigale S Senna edition will be on display at the Ducati stand of the TWO WHEELS Motorcycle Show in Sao Paulo, alongside one of the original Ducati 916 Senna models.
Taken from:
http://http://www.asphaltandrubber.c...-senna-brazil/

It was just a couple of months back that i come across this video on youtube titled "The Ghost of Ayrton Senna". For those of you who don't know him, he was was a Brazilian racing driver who won three Formula One world championships. He was killed in an accident while leading the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix. He remains the last driver fatality in Formula One. I still remember the day i came to know that they had released a movie "Senna", a documentary film that depicts the life and death of Brazilian motor-racing champion, directed by Asif Kapadia. Today as i logged in my facebook account, i see this post about the new Ducati. Thought ill share this here. A salute to the legend, Senna!
Cheers.

Mods please do the needful if posted in the wrong category.
Attached Thumbnails
Ducati 1199 Panigale S - Ayrton Senna Limited Edition-ducati1199panigalessenna02.jpg  

Ducati 1199 Panigale S - Ayrton Senna Limited Edition-ducati1199panigalessenna07.jpg  

Ducati 1199 Panigale S - Ayrton Senna Limited Edition-ducati1199panigalessenna04.jpg  

Ducati 1199 Panigale S - Ayrton Senna Limited Edition-ducati1199panigalessenna05.jpg  

LOL_FWD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 09:52   #2
E63
BANNED

re: Ducati 1199 Panigale S - Ayrton Senna Limited Edition

Nice colour!
Though I sincerely doubt if Senna rode any motorbikes at all, leave aside a Ducati.
E63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 11:30   #3
BHPian

^ +1. It has been one of the best looking bikes around and Though the bike looks spectacular in this shade, I somehow can't digest the relationship of Senna with bikes.
Senna is a legend no doubt, but Ducati paying homage to Him by bringing out a special edition bike is kind of weird.

Should have launched a "Rossi" version instead ?

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 12:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
^ +1.
Senna is a legend no doubt, but Ducati paying homage to Him by bringing out a special edition bike is kind of weird.

Should have launched a "Rossi" version instead ?
+1 Bhargav, Ducati is just trying to encase the Senna Wave simple. This is nothing but stooping low or going cheap.
Old 10th October 2013, 14:28   #5
BHPian

Re: Ducati 1199 Panigale S - Ayrton Senna Limited Edition

It has been done before. Only it was an MV.
Attached Thumbnails
Ducati 1199 Panigale S - Ayrton Senna Limited Edition-mvaugusta_wallpapers_6.jpg  

Old 10th October 2013, 14:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ayrton Senna was first and foremost a driver, irrespective of the number of wheels his primary rides had.

Ducati does not need Senna's name to sell it's wares and this exercise is nothing but their way of paying a tribute to the legendary driver. Further for using Senna's name there would be royalties etc. payable to Senna's estate/brand management company and it will ultimately percolate down to his family. Nothing wrong with that or do you feel it would be cheap for them to earn some money off their dead relative?
Old 10th October 2013, 17:47   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
It has been done before. Only it was an MV.
Yes, and it has been done even before that in 1995 with the Ducati 916. Please refer to the bike on the right in the last picture of the opening post: that's the 916. The common word here being Massimo Tamburini, who designed both the 916 and the MV Agusta F4. He's a big admirer of Ayrton Senna.

EDIT: My apologies. Didn't notice the 916 has been given reference in the quoted text of the OP.

Last edited by dreamseller : 10th October 2013 at 17:52.
Old 11th October 2013, 23:26   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by E63 View Post
Nice colour!
Though I sincerely doubt if Senna rode any motorbikes at all, leave aside a Ducati.

Mate, Ducati's were his favorite motorbikes. Check out the link
Cheers!
LOL_FWD is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks