Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2013, 22:50   #1
BHPian

Big, retro naked / semi-faired bikes from Honda

I've always had a thing for big capacity, '80s retro looking, standard Japanese bikes.

And for me, big capacity starts with the Yamaha SR400 and Honda CB400 Super Dream (pic below) !

No, I don't have anything against the new breed of modern naked muscle bikes, like Yamaha's FZ / MT series (FZ1, new FZ9, FZ8, new MT-07 and FZ6) or Honda CB series (CB1000R and it's similar array of smaller siblings).

But in the true spirit of big capacity standards, I am referring to Honda's CB1300 series and CB1100, which are highlighted below; as also Yamaha XJR1300, Suzuki GSX1400 and Kawasaki ZRX1200 series.

If you feel that Honda should bring either or both of these big bikes to India, to go along with the CB1000R already being sold here, please feel free to let them know at http://www.honda2wheelersindia.com/contact.aspx

Honda CB1100
Introduced in the US market mainly, starting July 2013, this is currently my dream bike.

Below first four images are taken from : http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/08/06/ten-best-bikes-2013-best-standard-honda-cb1100/

Honda CB1300 series
Introduced to the Japanese market in 1998, and to Europe in 2005, this bike has remain largely unchanged. It is available naked and semi-faired.

Below last three images are taken from : http://www.honda.co.jp/CB1300/photo/ , http://www.honda.co.jp/bike-accessor...0SF/index.html and http://world.honda.com/news/2013/c131023Tokyo-Motor-Show/photo/index.html
Attached Thumbnails
Big, retro naked / semi-faired bikes from Honda-2013hondacb1100action_001.jpg  

Big, retro naked / semi-faired bikes from Honda-2013hondacb1100action_002.jpg  

Big, retro naked / semi-faired bikes from Honda-2013hondacb1100action_003.jpg  

Big, retro naked / semi-faired bikes from Honda-2013hondacb1100action_005.jpg  

Big, retro naked / semi-faired bikes from Honda-10.jpg  

Big, retro naked / semi-faired bikes from Honda-11.jpg  

Big, retro naked / semi-faired bikes from Honda-topcb1300sf.jpg  

Big, retro naked / semi-faired bikes from Honda-photo.jpg  

Last edited by FourWheelDrift : 7th November 2013 at 23:09.
FourWheelDrift is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 16:33   #2
e46
BHPian

Re: Big, retro naked / semi-faired bikes from Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheelDrift View Post
If you feel that Honda should bring either or both of these big bikes to India, to go along with the CB1000R already being sold here, please feel free to let them know at http://www.honda2wheelersindia.com/contact.aspx
Hi FWD,
I can feel for your interest in these bikes. However, to make you aware about the ground reality, I had in the past contacted them lot of times to bring bikes like CB400 (including the faired Super Bol d'or) which would be highly suited in Indian scenario. I believe many of us did too. However, the baseline is HMSI, like any other manufacturer launches bikes based on sheer business logic and hence we never get these.

I have kind of lost hope now.

Drive safe,
Abhishek

Last edited by e46 : 8th November 2013 at 16:34.
e46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2013, 13:32   #3
BHPian

Thanks e46.

It is indeed unfortunate that HMSI doesn't think it is worth their while to bring in the CB400 Super Dream.

And I can see that it will not happen in the future either, if they bring in some or all 3 members of the recently launched CB500 family, to come in above the CBR250 (and maybe the CBR300 as well).

I think the closest one of the Big 4 Japanese OEMs came to retailing a big retro UJMs (Universal Japanese Motorcycle), was the Suzuki Bandit 1250.

It has unfortunately not done too well in our marketplace.

But, in truth, it is probably less desirable (and less retro looking) than the other big bikes mentioned in my post above.

In the '80s, I never imagined that India would see big bikes ever available off-the-shelf and legally ... and we now have a decent choice.

So, I live in hope.

Let's keep reminding the OEMs of our liking for these bikes.

Perhaps they'll listen to us someday.
Old 20th November 2013, 14:43   #4
BHPian

@FourWheelDrift, I echo your sentiments completely bro. I have loved the CB1100 ever since it was launched in 2011 (IIRC) even though it is pricey for what it offers. Those timeless shapes of the 70-80s naked/street motorcycles is what practically drew my attention to motorcycling. I still wish my father had bought a CB350 or a CB750 instead of a CB125 (practically the same money as a CB350). Would have lovingly restored and taken care of it. Considering the pricing in the states, I know that even if Honda decides to launch it here it will be out of reach. But that doesn't stop me from wishing does it

Here's one nice pic I have had of the CB1100
Big, retro naked / semi-faired bikes from Honda-honda_cb1100_sunset.jpg

Last edited by Freewheelin_KD : 20th November 2013 at 14:47. Reason: Inserting Pic
Freewheelin_KD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2013, 01:08   #5
BHPian

And as if to rub it in some more, Honda has now announced a 2014 CB1100 EX, to along side the upgraded regular CB1100.

Source : http://www.hondanews.eu/en/motorcycl...etail/?id=3536

CB1100 EX Press Pack

2014 HONDA CB1100 EX
Release date: November 20th 2013, 6am CET
Model updates: Evoking the spirit of the 1960s and 70s, the CB1100 EX wears wire-spoke wheels and twin rear silencers. It also features a six-speed gearbox plus new style thanks to a higher headlight, larger capacity fuel tank and redesigned sidepanels and seat. Additional information added to instrument panel.

Contents:
1 Introduction
2 Model overview
3 Key features
4 Accessories
5 Technical specifications

1. Introduction

The CB1100, brought to Europe in 2013, met a growing demand for a modern Honda motorcycle that paid homage to the company’s legendary four-cylinder past.

With its classic and evocative lines, handsome air-cooled engine and the quality and attention to detail that inspires devotion and real pride of ownership, it was an immediate success. And for 2014, Honda has listened to just what owners love about their CBs, and also what they would like to improve.

For 2014 two CB1100 models will be available: the standard CB1100* is a subtle evolution, with the bike given a new colour treatment, while the CB1100 EX adds different enhancements. Based on feedback from existing owners, it provides the CB1100 with a new twist, while very much retaining what made the original bike so special.

*See separate CB1100 press information.

2. Model Overview

In development of the original CB1100, Honda’s engineers referenced and rode bikes like the CB500 Four, CB750F, CB900F and the very special CB1100R at the Honda Collection Hall* at Motegi. The CB1100 EX’s new lines and details further builds on elements drawn from those seminal motorcycles.

The bike’s redesigned, larger capacity fuel tank, seat, sidepanels, passenger grab handle and raised headlight position all came out of time spent with bikes from Honda’s more recent four-cylinder history, while wire-spoke wheels are an effective – and stylish – reference even further back in time. The 4-2-1 exhaust of the CB1100 has been replaced by a double-skinned 4-2-2 system.

A steel double cradle frame houses the CB1100 EX’s 1,140cc inline four-cylinder engine, with 41mm conventional telescopic forks and twin rear shocks providing compliant and finely tuned suspension. The riding position is unchanged: upright and relaxed.

For 2014 perhaps the most important addition is a six-speed gearbox, making for more relaxed cruising. New instrumentation within the evocative twin circular analogue dials includes a gear position indicator as well as back-calculating trip computer. Revised indicators round out the updates.

*http://www.world.honda.com/collection-hall

3. Key Features

3.1 Engine

Centrepiece of the CB1100 EX is its DOHC engine, finished in eye-catching sliver. Air (via 2mm fins) and oil-cooled (via a 335mm 9-tier, front-mounted oil cooler) It revs to 8,500rpm and features a compression ratio of 9.5:1. Maximum power output is unchanged at 66Kw @ 7,500rpm, with peak torque figure of 91Nm @ 5,000rpm.

Smooth, instantly accessible power and torque is what the motor’s all about, and plenty of it, anywhere in the rev range. Four-stroke, four-cylinder motive thrust at its creamy, effortless best.

Bore and stroke is set at 73.5mm x 67.2mm. Drive for the twin camshafts is via central chain, and the valve included angle is 26.5° inlet and exhaust. Inlet valve diameter is 27mm, with a 2.5mm stem; exhaust 24mm with 2.5mm stem. A single secondary balancer shaft ensures smooth running.

The twin silencers are 40mm shorter than the single exhaust fitted to the CB1100 and have been tuned to emit a soulful inline four-cylinder sound. The chromed downpipes also feature a double skin to prevent any chance of surface discolouration from heat build-up.

Maintaining the benefits of a five-speed gearbox **– carefully matched ratios giving good response and acceleration – the new sixth gear is an overdrive, reducing fuel consumption while delivering lower engine rpm at highway speeds. Final drive is by 530 chain.

Alongside the efficient PGM-FI fuel injection, the new gearbox gives the CB1100 EX fuel consumption of 17.9km/l in WMTC mode.

3.2 Chassis

The CB1100 EX’s capacities, thanks to its strong engine and well-balanced chassis, are broad and multi-faceted; it’s a bike to be ridden and enjoyed in a variety of situations.

A classic tubular steel double cradle frame grips the engine with four rigid and two rubber mounts; the swingarm is constructed from box-section steel. 41mm conventional telescopic forks are spring preload adjustable, as are the pair of Showa rear shocks.

The fuel tank has an extra 2.9 litres capacity, up to 17.5 litres, usefully extending cruising range. To complement the evolution of its form, the sidepanels have been redesigned to underline the bike’s solidity while the passenger grabrail is laid horizontally, mimicking that of classic Honda’s of the 1960s and 70s; a thicker and softer seat boosts comfort for rider and pillion. The headlight position is 25mm higher for reasons of style, and to match the handlebar position.

Adding aluminium-rimmed wire-spoke wheels was not straightforward – finding the correct strength and rigidity for the size and weight of the bike was critical – but deemed important enough from owner feedback for the effort to be made. Finished in Alumite (a form of anodising) they mount 110/80-18 and 140/70-18 single radius tyres, which offer a consistent angle of attack against the tarmac, delivering linear feel and feedback during the transition from upright to full lean.

The standard ABS brakes feature twin 296mm floating discs up front, with four-piston Nissin calipers, and 256mm disc and single-piston caliper at the rear.

Overall dimensions are 2,195mm (length) x 835mm (width) x 1,130mm (height). Wheelbase is 1490mm, ground clearance 135mm and the seat height is reasonably low at 795mm, making the CB1100 EX very manageable. Rake and trail is set at 27°/114mm. Kerb weight is 260kg.

The circular analogue speedo and rev counter stir memories of classic Hondas of old, and are easy to read. Equipment includes a fuel gauge and clock, and new for 2014 a gear position indicator, fuel efficiency gauge and back calculating range computer. A centrestand and passenger grabrail are fitted as standard equipment.

The CB1100 EX will be available in the folllowing colour options:

Candy Glory Red/Eternal Silver sidepanels
Pearl Milky White/Eternal Silver sidepanels
Graphite Black/Graphite Black sidepanels

4. Accessories

A range of CB1100 EX Honda Genuine Accessories are available including:

Heated grips
Rear rack
Front fork adjuster bolt (gold or red)
Chrome Meter cover
Meter panel (gold or silver)
Headlight case
A chrome shroud for the distinctive single headlight reflecting the quality and individuality of a classic style re-imagined.
Chrome engine guard
Chrome rear grip
New chrome rear carrier
Chrome look side panels

Honda Assurance
Honda Genuine Accessories are developed alongside the model. They are all subject to Honda’s rigorous testing procedures and are offered with a two-year Honda warranty.

5. Technical Specifications

ENGINE

Type
Inline four-cylinder, air and oil cooled DOHC
Displacement
1,140cc
Bore ´ Stroke
73.5 x 67.2mm
Compression Ratio
9.5:1
Max. Power Output
66kW/7,500rpm (95/1/EC)
Max. Torque
91Nm/5,000rpm (95/1/EC)
Oil Capacity
4.9 litres
FUEL SYSTEM

Carburation
PGM-FI electronic fuel injection
Fuel Tank Capacity
17.5 litres
Fuel Consumption
17.9km/l (WMTC)
ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Starter
Electric
Battery Capacity
YTZ14S WET 12V-11.2Ah
ACG Output
333W
DRIVETRAIN

Clutch Type
Multi-plate wet clutch
Transmission Type
6 speed
Final Drive
2.222 (40/18)
FRAME

Type
Double steel cradle
CHASSIS

Dimensions (L´W´H)
2,195 x 835 x 1,130mm
Wheelbase
1,490mm
Caster Angle
27°
Trail
114mm
Seat Height
795mm
Ground Clearance
135mm
Kerb Weight
260kg
Turning radius
2.7m
SUSPENSION

Type Front
Front: 41mm conventional fork with adjustable spring preload
Type Rear
Rear: twin shocks, with adjustable spring preload
WHEELS

Type Front
Wire spoke
Type Rear
Wire spoke
Rim Size Front

Front:18M/CxMT2.50
Rim Size Rear
Rear: 18M/CxMT4.00
Tyres Front
Front: 110/80-18
Tyres Rear
Rear: 140/70-18
BRAKES

ABS System Type
Two channel ABS
Type Front
Hydraulic double disk
Type Rear
Hydraulic disk
INSTRUMENTS & ELECTRICS

Instruments
Fuel gauge, instant fuel consumption, remaining range, clock, new gear position indicator
Security System
HISS
Headlight
60/55W
Taillight
21/5W

All specifications are provisional and subject to change without notice.

# Please note that the figures provided are results obtained by Honda under standardised testing conditions prescribed by WMTC. Tests are conducted on a rolling road using a standard version of the vehicle with only one rider and no additional optional equipment. Actual fuel consumption may vary depending on how you ride, how you maintain your vehicle, weather, road conditions, tire pressure, installation of accessories, cargo, rider and passenger weight, and other factors.
Attached Thumbnails
Big, retro naked / semi-faired bikes from Honda-image1.jpg  

Big, retro naked / semi-faired bikes from Honda-image2.jpg  

Big, retro naked / semi-faired bikes from Honda-image3.jpg  

Big, retro naked / semi-faired bikes from Honda-image4.jpg  

Big, retro naked / semi-faired bikes from Honda-image5.jpg  

FourWheelDrift is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 06:12   #6
BHPian

Very good write up.
OT : the pics remind of the yamaha R D 350. Even though it isnt from honda.. But the instrument cluster looks very similar to the R D
Old 11th November 2014, 16:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps the first In-House (owned by TBHPian) CB 1300

Though not in India - technically its In-house as its owned by yours truely

Hope you like it

Big, retro naked / semi-faired bikes from Honda-img_2418.jpg

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 16:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: Perhaps the first In-House (owned by TBHPian) CB 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post

Hope you like it

Attachment 1307807

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
So you finally got it ! Congrats Ram. She looks mint (like all your bikes!).
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2014, 15:18   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post

Ram

Congrats, nice ride. Do share more details.
Old 23rd November 2014, 16:23   #10
BHPian

The CB400 Superdream would be awesome for India. An affordable (hopefully) in-line four. I'd buy it in a heartbeat (again depending on the pricing).
Old 16th December 2014, 12:56   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Nice CB1300, r_nairtvm. Please feel free to let us know more.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
Old 16th December 2014, 14:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

I am big fan of these classics, specially kawasaki Z1300. It looks so simple yet very sophisticated.
Old 17th December 2014, 11:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
Congrats, nice ride. Do share more details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheelDrift View Post
Nice CB1300, r_nairtvm. Please feel free to let us know more.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
Thanks guys. Been travelling a lot recently with hectic work schedules.

Will do a proper write-up about the CB1300, soon.

Big, retro naked / semi-faired bikes from Honda-img_2946a.jpg

Been enjoying the bike whenever possible with the lovely weather in UAE these days. The topend speed, smoothness and stability has been amazing.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 17th December 2014 at 11:42.
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 17:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

I have been lusting over the CB1100 ever since I laid eyes upon it. What a beautiful machine it is!

I found the simplicity and practicality of the bike simply irresistible! This bike is one among the bikes I wish to own one day! It tops my wishlist among the likes of the XJR1300, Bandit 1250 and KLR 650!
Old 2nd January 2017, 13:58   #15
BHPian

Honda New 1100 CB

Hi,
Happy New year to all Members and Mods,

Does anyone know if Honda is bringing in the New 1100 CB bike to India, when and for how much.?? Very keen to pick up one.

For the Mods,...sorry but did not know where to post this one :-)
Regards,
Seacat

Most Viewed