Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2013, 00:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Coming to India - KTM 690!

A single 690 CC piston running up and down . Hope the vibs are less this time .

Everyone ,every single person on planet was telling that D390 would be like 2.25-2.75 Lakh ex-showroom . But Bajaj disappointed everyone big big time . It was mentality of us to equate everything to everything . If 180cc costs X , then 220 should costs Y , proportionately .

I would bet it will be under 4 lakhs and my check is ready .
Old 26th November 2013, 11:59   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
A single 690 CC piston running up and down . Hope the vibs are less this time .

Everyone ,every single person on planet was telling that D390 would be like 2.25-2.75 Lakh ex-showroom . But Bajaj disappointed everyone big big time . It was mentality of us to equate everything to everything . If 180cc costs X , then 220 should costs Y , proportionately .

I would bet it will be under 4 lakhs and my check is ready .
+1.

I would say 690 would cost around Rs.3.5 Lakhs.

KTM 390 is priced 6495 dollar in Australia and KTM 690 costs 10300 dollar there i.e.; almost 1.59 times of price of 390.

Therefore price of 690 in india should be 2.18 * 1.6 = 3.47 lakhs. Hope KTM keeps this in mind and it looks like, I've to start saving.
Old 28th November 2013, 11:31   #18
BHPian

Excuse me for going off topic.

Can we expect a pulsar 690 considering that Pulsar 200 n 375 are (will be) based on the KTM's engines.

@black12rr hope KTM proves me wrong.

I quoted the expected price of Rs 4 - 4.5 based on 2 market related assumptions.

one is that the price of duke 690 can not be lower than the Ninja 300 and second assumption is that Kawasaki will do something to reduce the price of the baby ninja by some margin so that there will be a fair amount of difference between the duke 690 and ninja 300.

Else KTM would poach on the sales of ninja 300, which can be harmful for Kawasaki - Bajaj relation.

Kawasaki markets the 200 NS in Indonesia.

@Vasuki one can not look at such conversions figures unless KTM follows the same approach that it follows in Australia for India, which is highly unlikely and there are lot of factors like taxes, amount of localization, manufacturing capability and a lot more that need to be considered.
Old 28th November 2013, 12:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Wow, so finally we are speaking of the 690. It does look very interesting and with its ultra light weight body it will pack a punch in its performance. No Second thoughts.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 14:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Wow, so finally we are speaking of the 690. It does look very interesting and with its ultra light weight body it will pack a punch in its performance. No Second thoughts.
Mahesh, purely bike to bike, assuming costs are sensible (no harm in dreaming even better, but .....), would the Duke 690 be a better bike than the Ninja 650? I am of course as you know loking for a serious (and more long term) upgrade and would like to hear what you think on this. Can't think of any third candidate in this shootout for my money. Can you?
Old 28th November 2013, 14:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Can't think of any third candidate in this shootout for my money. Can you?
Doc,
My suggestion would be on the intended usage. If you are looking for a bike that will help you tour places I would lay my bet on the Ninja 650. Simple reason is due to its composed ride and better feel rather than the vibey nature of a big single. Will be more forgiving on the neck due to the sizeable wind screen it has and you should be able to sustain speeds well over 150s for quite some distances.

Duke 690 would be a good basher where you can explore it on the auto cross circuits provided we equip it with the right tires. No doubt it will be very easy to maneuver and flick-ability will be definitely higher.

The tank capacities will be another key indicator in my decision matrix. But am basing my comments purely on the feedback that has been received on the Duke 390.

Maintenance must be more or less same with a few cents thrown here and there.

3rd Bike I might want to throw in would be the Street Triple if we can lay our hands on a used example which is well maintained.

Last edited by ku69rd : 28th November 2013 at 14:56.
Old 28th November 2013, 15:09   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doc,
My suggestion would be on the intended usage. If you are looking for a bike that will help you tour places I would lay my bet on the Ninja 650. Simple reason is due to its composed ride and better feel rather than the vibey nature of a big single. Will be more forgiving on the neck due to the sizeable wind screen it has and you should be able to sustain speeds well over 150s for quite some distances.
But all of these same points swing to the 690's direction the moment the roads deteriorate. The 650 will be better between major cities - i.e. getting to where we really want to go, what we really want to do. Which in my case would be to the north or the north east with some south involved somewhere along the way too. Once there, the 690 would be the better tool. And in between cities too, the only thing the 650 would excel at would be wind protection - easily achieved to a significant extent, if needed, with an after market windscreen for the 690.

Quote:
Duke 690 would be a good basher where you can explore it on the auto cross circuits provided we equip it with the right tires. No doubt it will be very easy to maneuver and flick-ability will be definitely higher.
Its not only a rough road basher. It has left more than on SBK rider red faced on open roads and definitely on the twisties as well, in the right hands. Its a very capable mid sized machine. As capable as the 650 definitely, can go where the 650 cannot (not comfortably at least), and still be on the 650s tail where the 650 excels in.

Quote:
The tank capacities will be another key indicator in my decision matrix. But am basing my comments purely on the feedback that has been received on the Duke 390.
A serious issue, but with after market options available. Around 15-20K for an Acerbis. For a bike that's going to cost 3.5-4.5 lacs, that's not a bad buy. The pertinent part is that in spite of the fact the 650 has a slightly bigger tank, the 690 gives better fuel mileage, so in the real world I would be surprised if the tank ranges for both would be very (if at all) different.

Quote:
Maintenance must be more or less same with a few cents thrown here and there.
Bajaj prices versus Kawasaki import prices?

Quote:
3rd Bike I might want to throw in would be the Street Triple if we can lay our hands on a used example which is well maintained.
I know man. But that's a lot more bike than both of these. And a lot firther away before there are sparingly used ones on sale, versus getting the 690 here in 2014-2015, and the 650 already here.
Old 28th November 2013, 15:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But all of these same points swing to the 690's direction the moment the roads deteriorate.

Its not only a rough road basher. It has left more than on SBK rider red faced on open roads and definitely on the twisties as well, in the right hands.

A serious issue, but with after market options available. Around 15-20K for an Acerbis. For a bike that's going to cost 3.5-4.5 lacs, that's not a bad buy.
Bajaj prices versus Kawasaki import prices?

I know man. But that's a lot more bike than both of these. And a lot firther away before there are sparingly used ones on sale, versus getting the 690 here in 2014-2015, and the 650 already here.
Doc,
Suppose here it boils down to personal choice, preference over a balanced, smooth ride when compared to vibey nature of motor having that constant tingling at your toes.
Yes the 690 is a very potent at capable hands considering its low weight and I would be keen to try it out and give it a serious thought. Many owners have mentioned that the 650 is very low on maintenance and all that they need is an oil change/Oil filter replacement every 5000 kms. Brake pads are cheaper even if you import them as the prices in Service Station are very expensive. Guess at my circle there is one 650 which has logged in around 18K with absolutely no changes except for oil and filter.

With the launch of Triumph, Ninja 650s prices have begun to crash and am sure with the 690 coming it will go further down. Street triple will be the dark horse in this comparison.
Old 28th November 2013, 15:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With the launch of Triumph, Ninja 650s prices have begun to crash and am sure with the 690 coming it will go further down. Street triple will be the dark horse in this comparison.
You mean used Ninja 650s or has there been a price revision from Bajaj?

Just posted on the Triumph thread. I am VERY saddened by the Street Triple's pricing. When seen versus what they are going to offer the Bonnie at and their earlier promise.
Old 28th November 2013, 16:05   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchkamalesh View Post
I partially agree with you and when I say agree, I mean the infrastructure is not adequate to handle supercars but as for as the superbikes, you can take them anywhere.

I would like to add that most people who buy big bikes mostly use these as lifestyle bikes and not use them as commuters (unless they have deep pockets). Even in this very own forum look at the number of people using the 390. As a commuter 390 or the 690 or even the 1000cc bikes doesnt make sense thanks to the heat, the low FE and the maintenance costs.

Again I would like to emphasis that it doesnt make sense but it can be ridden in the city.

Regarding the infrastructure, we have good highways atleast in TN. what we are lacking is the road sense. morons on moped taking the centre lane, using roads as grazing ground and cross as you wish attitude. Its the people who are to be blamed.

A Majority of the Accidents are caused due to negligence. Even the death of the BMW guy in Bangalore was negligence of the cable guy, not cause of his bike. So here again the people are to be blamed.

Respect the ride and it will take you to your destination safely.

Finally, our roads are fit to handle these machines, if you want to go flat out at each and every road then my friend the infrastructure is inadequate.
I have a 390 and use it for commuting. The beauty of these bikes and other 250, 300 and 650 cc around is that it can be ridden at slow speeds of say 40 Kmph without much hassle. Lucky for me, I haven't faced much issues with the engine heating and mileage is just about ok.

Now as you rightly said the infrastructure is improving though not keeping the pace with the influx of powerful 2 n 4 wheelers in the market. Machines and infrastructure are improving but unfortunately common sense seems to be extremely lacking in our society. For example, we see slow treading heavy trucks always keep to the faster right side of the lane and you need to overtake them from left as they would not budge. Now why do these trucks drive to the extreme right?? in earlier days there were single lane, and the tree branches on the left side of the road stretched over the road and obstructed the upper portions of the truck, so the drivers always tend to drive at the right most section in their lane to avoid being brushed by the tree branches. But now look at the 4 lanes which is devoid of any tree or the city traffic, but still the drivers drive at the right side. this is what I call lacking in common sense and education.

I have seen people crossing the highway casually without even looking out for oncoming vehicles zooming in 3 digit figures, 2 wheeler riders without helmet or proper gear, Cows, stray animals on the road.. the list goes on and on.

The issue is common sense, road sense, discipline that is the need of the hour than concerns about the powerful bikes or cars
Old 4th December 2013, 13:14   #26
BHPian

I own a 390 and am happy to see the big brother heading to India. At the same time I wish that it doesn't inherit the Anger Mgmt issues of the lil brother.

I mean a single cylinder 690 in Indian heat will get angrier (super hot) in chok-a-blok traffic. 390 handles it quiet badly by heating up good enough to bake a few rotis...
Hope there are more road tests done in traffic than on highways (I am sure it will be a very potent tool on the highways and longer rides)

For Price I think it will be above Ninja300 and below 650 (Bajaj would never want to undercut their own offering). But you never know.

They may surprise us with a pricetag of < 3L.
Old 4th December 2013, 14:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You mean used Ninja 650s or has there been a price revision from Bajaj?

Yes used Ninja 650s. Believe this is the ideal time to look out for those 650 and am sure lot of owners will be selling it off.
Old 5th December 2013, 09:31   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
That said, my plans for waiting for the adventure/touring version of the 390 have now officially gone sailing through the window.
Given the overwhelming response enfield gets for a classic street/touring bike, I don't know why all manufacturers ignore this segment and go for the butt in the sky models only. If you want an affordable and comfortable tourer, RE is the only choice but having owned 3 and used 4 I have sworn of RE so guess, Bonnie is the only choice. Just waiting to see if the 390 adventure will be launched as I really don't want to spend more than 3 Lakhs.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 10:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Just waiting to see if the 390 adventure will be launched as I really don't want to spend more than 3 Lakhs.
I echo your sentiments bro. But Bajaj just does not have any congruence with RE's business outlook and philosophy. RE volumes do not excite or even prick Bajaj because they probably sell more units per month than what RE sells in one or even more years. So the way Bajaj looks at a product will necessarily be different.

Their philosophy behind the Adventure is that sure it will do initial good volumes. But those will comprise of the only guys who are looking for this kind of "specialized" bike. Once that boom is over, there will be a sharp dip in further sustained demand for an Adventure type bike.

Not so for the Dhoom-esque RC series coming up, which is why the RC leapfrogged the Adventure in launch queue. Right now frankly there is absolutely no guarantee that such a thing as a 390 (or 200) Adventure even exists on the drawing board or in the R&D, forget about a probable launch.

So yes, looking at all of the above, and the fact that the 690 is a world cult bike and something I have been dreaming about for quite some time, if required (which I hope is not), I will stretch beyond 3 lacs grudgingly to buy one for myself. Because for me at least, it really is the ultimate bike - pipped only marginally by the KTM 690 SMC - which is mostly what I will try to with my limited means convert my Duke 690 to anyways.

Coming to India - KTM 690!-ktm_690_smc.jpg
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 18:07   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Their philosophy behind the Adventure is that sure it will do initial good volumes. But those will comprise of the only guys who are looking for this kind of "specialized" bike. Once that boom is over, there will be a sharp dip in further sustained demand for an Adventure type bike.
Agree there are not many people who wants to play in mud and want to be clean CCD boys .

But ,when they are thinking to make India a potential hub for exporting various capacities , Let them keep aside 500 bikes for our mud boys from their export lot .Bajaj listening ?
black12rr is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks