Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2014, 02:27   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Coming to India - KTM 690!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Now that brings a thought to me. I have read scores of threads where the rider rants about his ride being slow and how he is dying to lay his hands on a 650cc or a 800cc or a litre bike and also how the 30 or 40 HP is not thrilling enough and the holy grail is definitely over triple digit HPs or whatever is the fastest on the road today. I have had my fair share of rant too."
That was a good read ashkamath.

I guess for most of the riders/consumers, it is about spending power as well. You have the dough and you are bored of your ride or think you need a bigger and powerful bike, go ahead.(not referring to anyone by 'you')

On the other hand there are riders like you mentioned, who have actually exploited their machines and are ready for the next step. That will make owning their upgrades even more exciting and enjoyable.

And there are other like me, who have exploited their bikes over years, rather than exploiting its potentials over a short period, and have grown to them so much that they do not want to upgrade at the cost of their present rides.

I do have to upgrade my ride, the only reason being- reliability. If my CI500 was as reliable as a new bike and could do a 100 all day long without issues, I will keep it .

But of course, it all comes down to individuals .

Last edited by tharian : 13th February 2014 at 02:29.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 10:09   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But Doc. I agree that you need an upgrade because I know you have extracted every possible ounce of power from your 200 and also exploited all her handling / braking prowess. You are one dude ready for a 690. while most of us (including me) can do (should do) with our existing rides and learn to exploit them to the max. May be some time in distance, I may say that " Yes Now I am ready"
Bro, nice post. Conducive atmosphere makes for great thinking and long ruminative posts!

Looking at your recent photo on wotsapp last night, made me feel I am wasting my life here in urbania. Expect a flying visit soon.

Now coming back on to topic buddy, I've been ready for the 690 for much longer than you can imagine.

The 200 for me was always going to be a stop gap to the big mama. I was actually trying for the 390 first, but when it became clear in late 2011 that the 390 was not due (or even on the front burner at the time) I decided not to wait any longer and plump for the 200. Can't say it has let me down in any way. Much the reverse actually. It blew my socks off!

But at the end of it all, the 200 for me was the perfect much more reliable quicker faster lighter greater handling greater braking and more fuel efficient serious riding replacement for my by then ageing Standard 500 (Doppie). In terms of actual riding and pushing the envelope in terms of outright performance, it was not a quantum jump.

Having bought the 200, it made no sense for me to lose money a year later and buy the 390. Yes, if the 390 had been launched first of, it would have been a serious upgrade for me over my 500, and I could have probably lived with it for a bit longer (compared to the 200).

But honestly, for me at least, the 690 has always been the aspirational bike. And the 990 Adventure the dream bike. So even with the 390, I would have been waiting desperately for the 690 to come.

With the 690 over the 390, its not just about the 20-25 kmph extra top speed buddy. Its the way its going to get you there. And believe me, after riding the mini Duke for 2 years, I can hardly wait. Because that honestly would be the most practical big bike in India - way more than even the Ninja 650 which as I have seen up and close personaly recently, is a really big and heavy bike and not something you can manhandle and throw around with your body. It will bite you if you try. So will the manic 690, but at least the 150 odd kilo weight will give your body a chance of fighting back.

Hope I've put my point across reasonably well as to why I have been ready for the 690 and why this latest news is really killing me. Hard.

Last edited by ebonho : 13th February 2014 at 10:15.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 10:10   #48
BHPian

Interesting points of view all around.
So many factors decide if you are ready for the next step. Affordability is one of the biggest factors. If I could afford to keep all my bikes and get a new bigger toy, why not! Riding as a passion, unlike say photography, can have a time limit!
Yeah, sure I will be riding when I am 70(if I live that long and can swing a leg over the saddle), but how often will I be able to get out and ride?
The time is now gentlemen. Ride while you can like there is no tomorrow.

Also, each of these motors have unique 'kicks' to offer. An enfield for the old world charm, an RX/RD for the two stroke kick, a duke for a light weight reliable rocket to bash around, a 690 to keep seeing the sky(?) with every gear shift, a daytona to...

If I can afford it, I should do it. why postpone?

Sad to see the statement that the 690 may not make it here. Closest alternative (costing 9.1L OTR bangalore) is the Streety. Although I do hope they bring the 690 nevertheless at whatever price point, just to scare the competition.

Cheers,
Kapil
wolfy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 10:19   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
Although I do hope they bring the 690 nevertheless at whatever price point, just to scare the competition.

Cheers,
Kapil
LOL that it will Kapil, that it will! In the right hands, on most anything India has to offer by means of roads, it will scare the bejezus out of the supersport guys as well. Nothing like the kick of leaving an inline 4 in the dust with a big vibrating vibey rude single!!!!
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 10:31   #50
BHPian

Braaaaapppp!
Good times eh doc! In another year or so, buying a bike in India will be mentally (tsk tsk and financially) challenging. a ~9L budget could get you any of the following awesome and capable motors right from the pulsar 400s, duke 200/390 series, RC 200/390 series, lil CBR singles,the CBR500(?), the CBR650F, the ninja twins (300/650), the Z800, a few harley models, the continental GTs, the bonnies, streety and a host of used "super" bikes! WOW! Good times!

Last edited by wolfy : 13th February 2014 at 10:35. Reason: missed a few more bikes
Old 13th February 2014, 10:48   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
Braaaaapppp!
Good times eh doc! In another year or so, buying a bike in India will be mentally (tsk tsk and financially) challenging. a ~9L budget could get you any of the following awesome and capable motors right from the pulsar 400s, duke 200/390 series, RC 200/390 series, lil CBR singles,the CBR500(?), the CBR650F, the ninja twins (300/650), the Z800, a few harley models, the continental GTs, the bonnies, streety and a host of used "super" bikes! WOW! Good times!
Kapil the Streety is out of this range sadly man. I was so looking forward to a sensibly priced Street when my hopes and prayers were rudely dashed by the nasty Brits. This is the thanks they give us for our hospitality of over 300 years!
Old 14th February 2014, 11:16   #52
Senior - BHPian

Life is nice and all is well again in Dukedom once more.

Come Q1 2015 and we can expect a "flagship product" in an as yet "empty space" from KTM.
Old 14th February 2014, 11:23   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Life is nice and all is well again in Dukedom once more.

Come Q1 2015 and we can expect a "flagship product" in an as yet "empty space" from KTM.
and Pray what that might be?
Old 14th February 2014, 11:52   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and Pray what that might be?
I hope its not their 990 Adventure. If it is, I will need to stop going past Ruby Hall indefinitely, because the pain of seeing it in the glass showcase of the Pro Biking showroom every time I pass through will be too much to bear.

The Ninja 650r that retails for $7700 in the US, is INR 5,50,000 OTR here.

By that equation, the Duke 690 that retails for $9000 in the US, should be around INR 6,50,000 OTR here, if it comes in as an import.

But knowing that Bajaj is in the equation, and very directly so (compared to their equation with Kawasaki), I have not given up hope.

My friend who recently bought a Ninja 650r, paid 1.5 lacs down, and the for the remaining 4 lacs, he is paying EMIs of around 15K odd monthly for 30 months. Which is very manageable. Like buying a small car ....

Last edited by ebonho : 14th February 2014 at 12:19.
Old 14th February 2014, 12:31   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LOL that it will Kapil, that it will! In the right hands, on most anything India has to offer by means of roads, it will scare the bejezus out of the supersport guys as well. Nothing like the kick of leaving an inline 4 in the dust with a big vibrating vibey rude single!!!!
Doc,
Honestly do you think the 690 is capable of doing it? Am not sure if you have ridden the Inline-4, they do a 100 in just a couple of seconds and yes in the first gear.
If you are trying to tell me that in the hands of a capable rider the 690 can hold a candle to those Big Inline-4 in small twisty sections then I can understand. The twisty sections where the weight of Inline-4 is more felt, low speeds.
Old 14th February 2014, 12:35   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Doc,
Honestly do you think the 690 is capable of doing it? Am not sure if you have ridden the Inline-4, they do a 100 in just a couple of seconds and yes in the first gear.
If you are trying to tell me that in the hands of a capable rider the 690 can hold a candle to those Big Inline-4 in small twisty sections then I can understand. The twisty sections where the weight of Inline-4 is more felt, low speeds.
There was a lovely cartoon about the inline 4 super sports (not the SBKs - the 600 cc super sports) and the duke 690 - on the straights and then the twisties. I feel off my chair laughing at it (the expressions and the sound effects were priceless). Wish I could attach the magazine PDF here but its too big in size.

The point is, the 690 Duke does take the inline-4 600s in the twisties. In the rough stuff, the 600s might as well stay at home. Life is not only lived in the stright lane. And for most of us, life starts after the straight lane.

P.S. I figured out how to reduce the size of the PDF.

Enjoy!

KTM_Folder_NakedMY11_GB_10 - Copy.pdf

Last edited by ebonho : 14th February 2014 at 12:51.
ebonho is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 14th February 2014, 18:02   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
D

Enjoy!

Attachment 1208002

I literally fell of the chair reading the cartoon. fantastic stuff Bro. Will be very keenly looking forward for the launch and I will bother you as am sure you will get a test bike this time as well.
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 18:55   #58
Senior - BHPian

Is there any update on whether the 690 will get released in India? If it will be, when and for what price?

There was a lot of information flowing in that seems to have stopped now. Have the plans been shelved? I haven't read anything on other sites either
Old 27th March 2014, 19:04   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Enjoy!
Hilarious! I liked the very realistic portrayal of multiple top-up stops. Those twins are thirsty.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 10:54   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Hilarious! I liked the very realistic portrayal of multiple top-up stops. Those twins are thirsty.
Actually buddy the 690 is a single, and its in real fact comparatively quite impressively frugal on the highways per most international comparos which pit it against its closest natural competitor - the Ninja 650.

The Duke 690 is around 21-22 kmpl while the Ninja 650 is about 18-19 kmpl.

The frequent glug-glug refills on the straight highways (along with the extremely bored rider almost falling to sleep) along with the added sound effects and vibrations is a caricature of the ultra small tank and tank range (the Ninja 650 in comparison has an 18 liter tank), the nature of the bike (and its riders) who simply do not care for boring super slabs, and the vibes and vibrations and general rudeness of a big tuned single (though the 690 by all reports is pretty vibe-free for what is the bigest single in the world market) respectively.

Last edited by ebonho : 28th March 2014 at 10:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks