Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2013, 15:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

10k for Puncture & other Harley service issues @ Cochin?

Protest by owners outside Harley showroom in Kochi (Photos found on Facebook):
Attached Thumbnails
10k for Puncture & other Harley service issues @ Cochin?-1176194_552201451527347_106309779_n.jpg  

10k for Puncture & other Harley service issues @ Cochin?-1426372_552201588194000_740212434_n.jpg  

10k for Puncture & other Harley service issues @ Cochin?-1463154_552201478194011_1774208581_n.jpg  

StarrySky is online now   (28) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 16:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

10k for Puncture & other Harley service issues @ Cochin?

Pics are from Foby's fb page etc. Looks like there's issue with service and parts availability at Cochin Harley (East Coast).

The banner reads - "10,000 for one puncture repair?"
Attached Thumbnails
10k for Puncture & other Harley service issues @ Cochin?-1475902_10152111900388338_2077592854_n.jpg  

10k for Puncture & other Harley service issues @ Cochin?-1479462_10152111900038338_1003469062_n.jpg  

Last edited by Eddy : 2nd December 2013 at 00:06. Reason: Adding banner translation
jkdas is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 20:32   #3
BHPian

Re: 10k for Puncture & other Harley service issues @ Cochin?

Oh my God. That's really expensive expensive puncture repair. By the way the dealership name is "Spice Coast Harley" and not East Coast. Hope Harley Davidson will address those issues promptly.
MaxTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 22:21   #4
BHPian

Please translate the banner into English!!!
Old 1st December 2013, 22:29   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
The message in the banner reads "10,000 for one puncture repair?" Looks like now Harley is on the way of Ducati in India, don't know when will these luxury brands (be it 2/4 wheeler manufacturers) treat customers in India like any other market elsewhere?

Last edited by GTO : 2nd December 2013 at 15:37. Reason: Typos. Correcting
treadmark is offline   Received Infraction
Old 1st December 2013, 22:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
For a puncture repair, 10,000Rs ?

There are more pix in FB. I know each regular service would cost roughly 5000Rs but this is just too much to digest. I also wonder if this is so and if a puncture job would cost this much then there's more complexity with the tyre part and hence local tyre walla w0nt be able to help.
Old 1st December 2013, 23:02   #7
BHPian

I believe these luxury brands would have laid down certain standard world wide practices in all aspects of business such as sales, service, availability of spares etc and they wouldn't want to compromise on the bike nor the safety of the rider. It is quite possible that the dealer could be compromising on certain aspects such as adequate training to mechanics or spares inventory or even overcharging for the services rendered.

These luxury brands would not dare to tarnish their image by resorting to such inferior service when they have just started their sojourn in what one perceives as one of the biggest markets of the world, i.e. India. So the issue could be much closer to home than it seems. This is just my thought n I don't own a Harley or a SBK and I admit I could be wrong with my analysis too.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd December 2013 at 15:38. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 2nd December 2013, 02:34   #8
BHPian

Although the 10k charge for fixing a puncture looks grossly exaggerated by any stretch of imagination, the closest possible scenario I could think of is a SPOKE wheeled Harley that developed a flat on the road (probably few 100 kms from the service center)- So the services of a towing truck were mobilized. Then when it was time to unload the bike at the service center, the extraordinary speciality of Kerala called "Atti-Mari" labour group came and said any loading/unloading is the birth right bestowed on them by god (in gods own country!). Then the labor time required to put the bike on a lift, dismantle the rear wheel & remove the tube (at the premium hourly rate Harley charges worldwide). Then take the tube to a posh puncture-wallah in the city to fix (since Harleys do not come with a center stand, the bike keeps one lift occupied on the worrkshop floor...read added time on the job-card). Then the labor required to fix back the wheel and do the necessary final checks......add up all these generous charges and you end up with a hefty bill....

Instead of being taken for a royal ride by such 'Stealers', its simple for those with tubeless tires to carry a puncture kit with mini-compressor/footpump, while those with tubetype tires can carry slime or Ride-on tire sealant.
Haroon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 07:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Am not surprised on seeing this, my HD Riding friends have frequently run into issues at the Bangalore Service Station. But what is surprising me is that HD is actually keeping quiet. They should publish an escalation chart in their service stations which should be used prudently.

Sad State of affairs if you were to ask me.
Old 2nd December 2013, 09:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Many of my 'spoked wheel' tube-type Harley mates have had punctures here in Meerut which they have repaired for 50~100 bucks at the city's puncturewallah's itself. One even involved removing the wheel. And there have been no issues with the tubeless tyres on alloy wheels in the last 3 years in the 12 bikes that are there in our group. I cannot fathom what the core issue here was...
Old 2nd December 2013, 10:25   #11
BANNED

Guess many are just getting the idea of what Harley ownership really means

Harley dealers are not called "Stealers" for a reason.

You can visit Harley related forums in any country and hear gripe stories about the Dealers. I would not hold my breath waiting for HD to respond to this.

If any of the disgruntled owners are reading this, my suggestion would be to find a good local mechanic, a service manual, and hit the internet for parts. If you want to keep your bikes rolling, that is.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 11:37   #12
gemi_kk

I can say one thing. We cannot demand each manufacturer to give the perfect service at proper costs. Because we are in india, where there are no proper rules. Where no one abides by rules, even if there are any.

Compounding to this, we have a pathetic Law. The problem with this is, no one cares it + No one follows it.

Compounding to the above, we have atrocious courts, where result comes atleast after couple of years. in some cases, it might take a decade.

On a lighter note,
If each puncture costs 10K, then why not buy another pair of alloys for 5-8K each (Local good ones.) And plonk the reliable MRF/Mechilin rubber on it.

One time cost is significant. But it is much cheaper to maintain than harley's tyres. In case of any puncture, take it to any local puncture shop and plonk in a plug worth a max of 100/- to fix the stupid hole

Old 2nd December 2013, 12:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

I guess the issue is not about puncture repair cost alone. There seem to be other service issues too. One of the banners translated means: "To repair manufacturing defects in warranty period, delay is in months and charges are in tens of thousands".

The main issues seem to be covered by the banners in English - service quality, incompetent technicians and spare part availability.
Old 2nd December 2013, 13:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Many of my 'spoked wheel' tube-type Harley mates have had punctures here in Meerut which they have repaired for 50~100 bucks at the city's puncturewallah's itself.
Interesting, but how is their quality of workmanship? Would they have the necessary stuff to keep the bike on a lift/jack till they fix it? Probably they use wooden stumps to balance the bike?
Old 2nd December 2013, 13:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Thank you StarrySky for starting this thread.

I was on the way to another phoren car showroom to address a similar issue when I saw an unusual gathering in front of the HD showroom off the highway.

Off late I know few luxury brand owners who are not willing to address the issues to public because of the so called prestige of the luxury brand owners.

The attitude of the major chunk of the luxury brand owners is 'The fate is the decision you take' and ends up paying hefty bills to service centers to the luxury brands.

Good to see a part of HOG thinking different to address the issue and spending time to educate others , so that the luxury brands looting the money can be reduced.
foby.sebastian is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks