Team-BHP - Harley-Davidson Street 750 for India: Unveiled @ Goa
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Harley-Davidson Street 750 for India: Unveiled @ Goa (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/146755-harley-davidson-street-750-india-unveiled-goa-11.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower (Post 3387282)
Valve timing? How?

Different gas volumes and residual cylinder pressure when exhaust opens.

Regards
Sutripta

Quote:

Originally Posted by basuroy (Post 3387922)
yep 883 is 45bhp . Agreed weight and gearing plays a role hence many of us finding it hard to believe when HD says iron outperforms street considering it is 5 speed(street is 6 with shorter ratios in comparision expected) and 40kg heavier not to mention revs upto 5,500rpm in stock while the street redlines at 8000rpm

The 883 will make a lot more torque at a much lower rpm but thats only good for cruising. Unless HD has done something to deliberately slow it down, the Street has all the ingredients to be quicker than the iron. Reason for doing something like that is to ensure that Iron can still command that price premium. In any case, you can be rest assured that unlocking the performance potential should be a piece or cake:thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutripta (Post 3387991)
Different gas volumes and residual cylinder pressure when exhaust opens.

Hmm...not sure how much of an effect this would have. These 2 also constantly change with throttle angle.

Secondly VVT engines have this changing all the time and I haven't really noticed any change in engine beat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by basuroy (Post 3387064)

Bike can't be started in gear even with clutch depressed. Tested it out in the display bike and it was the case , my dad found the thing so outrageously stupid that he commented maybe they tampered with the tranny in display bike so that it cant be moved.

Hi there.

Was the bike on it's side stand when you tried this?

Cheers

Ride Safe.

Why I would like to buy this bike?

1. Childhood aspirational dream quotient(HD cult image)
2. Mini v-rod, a collector's item for long keeps(probably my son can drive to his college after 8 years and still be 'spotted' :))
3. HOG circle access
4. Ability to pick up accessories from US or else where, as this is an international model
5. Perfect for my height
6. For a 750 cc engine, I do not think performance would be a limitation for my consumption. I say this, as I do not envisage doing speed racing, stunts or drags with Street. All I am looking from this is a stable, power on tap available, day long cruiser bike!clap:

No product is ideal and hence I am not expecting this to tick all my expectation 'boxes', however the 'snob' value is more than sufficient for all the probable 'gaps'!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gthang (Post 3388157)
Hi there.

Was the bike on it's side stand when you tried this?

Cheers

Ride Safe.

The bike was started twice , once by the salesman and then by me and while I didnt check , i'm fairly positive the stand was down in both case(the video I recorded was with the bike on side-stand). If there was a safety switch , then it would not have started in neutral either which it did both times but no response when in gear(the dealer specifically pointed it out and I tried it out as well).
I also engaged gear(engine turned off) and tried to move the bike but gear was clearly engaged so no apparent tampering with transmission , it moved fine with clutch depressed. BTW this bike has cost cutting in every possible place one can think of , I guess a safety stand sensor will be high up the list .

Can anyone think of why HD will come up with such a design element ? It makes no positive sense .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower (Post 3388037)
Secondly VVT engines have this changing all the time and I haven't really noticed any change in engine beat.

Note, not beat.
OHC VTEC.

Regards
Sutripta

Engine note changes with rpm and throttle % also
Pretty much all cars today have VVT all the way from Tata Indica and Hyundai i-10 kappa.

The Honda switches to a cam profile that has high duration and lift

Quote:

Originally Posted by basuroy (Post 3388792)
If there was a safety switch , then it would not have started in neutral either which it did both times but no response when in gear(the dealer specifically pointed it out and I tried it out as well).

Can anyone think of why HD will come up with such a design element ? It makes no positive sense .

Vehicle will start in neutral on it's side stand with a safety switch in place. The "Safety" aspect is to prevent movement with side stand down.

It's a pretty simple thing, really. If you don't recall, that's OK. Please take another opportunity to see if the bike will start with the side stand up, and in gear, safer if seated on the bike. If they will let you, that is.

Cheers

Ride Safe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gthang (Post 3388925)
Vehicle will start in neutral on it's side stand with a safety switch in place. The "Safety" aspect is to prevent movement with side stand down.

It's a pretty simple thing, really. If you don't recall, that's OK. Please take another opportunity to see if the bike will start with the side stand up, and in gear, safer if seated on the bike. If they will let you, that is.

Cheers

Ride Safe.

Thanks for this insight , I assumed safety switch will override even in neutral gear(after you brought up the idea , at first it didn't even occur to me - good thinking (y) ). The dealer was very ignorant as well so it is more than possible he missed this aspect about the bike , I wont be able to visit the dealership soon but I will call him up tomorrow and ask him to check it out and update the same here.
And yes they let you sit on the bike as well as push it around for a couple of feets to feel the weight . I was surprised they(bengal HD) even fired the engine . All other dealers have simply refused to start the bike.

Cheers :D

BTW as per pune dealership , the current expected delivery date is september(3rd lot !!!) . I'm not sure how a 5 lakhs worth motorcycle sells out the first and 2nd lot in 10 days , artificial delay or just wrong information ?? :O
source- http://www.rushlane.com/harley-david...-12113100.html

Can someone please educate me on why ex-showroom price is different at different dealerships. They advertised it as 4.1lakhs and even said so over phone but kolkata is charging 4.2k while pune as per this report is 4.17k . Logisitics ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by basuroy (Post 3388940)

Can someone please educate me on why ex-showroom price is different at different dealerships. They advertised it as 4.1lakhs and even said so over phone but kolkata is charging 4.2k while pune as per this report is 4.17k . Logisitics ?

Transport costs from factory to dealership will vary and hence the difference.

Octroi in kolkotta? Can that be another reason?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower (Post 3388801)
Engine note changes with rpm and throttle % also
Pretty much all cars today have VVT all the way from Tata Indica and Hyundai i-10 kappa.

The Honda switches to a cam profile that has high duration and lift

Cant make out whether you are agreeing with me, disagreeing with me, adding to what I said, or something else altogether! :)

Regards
Sutripta

Quote:

Bike can't be started in gear even with clutch depressed. Tested it out in the display bike and it was the case , my dad found the thing so outrageously stupid that he commented maybe they tampered with the tranny in display bike so that it cant be moved.
Why is this feature necessary for you for everyday usage? I certainly hope something so trivial does not influence your buying decision

Quote:

Different gas volumes and residual cylinder pressure when exhaust opens
Same effect from varying throttle angle

Pretty much all cars today have VVT all the way from Tata Indica and Hyundai i-10 kappa---->so a OHC VTEC is nothing special--->nobody reports changing engine note do they?

The Honda switches to a cam profile that has high duration and lift---->ie VTEC is not just VVT but VVL as well

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutripta (Post 3389637)
Cant make out whether you are agreeing with me, disagreeing with me, adding to what I said, or something else altogether! :)

Regards
Sutripta

I had to go back and read up on how the debate started lol
Disagree with explanation. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower (Post 3389770)
Disagree with explanation. :)

Your explanation? (Because half the time I get the feeling you agree!)

Regards
Sutripta

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutripta (Post 3390457)
Your explanation? (Because half the time I get the feeling you agree!)

Regards
Sutripta

Half the time I dunno what you are saying because you're so frugal with words:)

Quote:

Different gas volumes and residual cylinder pressure when exhaust opens
Same effect from varying throttle angle--->ie you will constantly see diff gas volumes and residual pressure at diff throttle openings so how is it different from one valve timing vs another?
so valve timing has no effect on engine note any more than throttle does

What were you trying to say about OHC Vtec?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower (Post 3389770)
Why is this feature necessary for you for everyday usage? I certainly hope something so trivial does not influence your buying decision

)

It isn't necessary(unless one stalls the bike in traffic) or deal breaker but it is not exactly normal and I'm curious why it is like that. Thing is nothing about the bike feels top quality(from outside) no matter where you look , so anything that feels different/abnormal leads to doubt regarding the quality of the motor( I can live with MRF tyres and exposed wires , not with anything less than a perfect/top quality motor ) .
I'm still banking on performance , latest word out of delhi and mumbai is test ride from next week onward . If the ride is satisfactory , will book the bike .

BTW delivery date for booking now will result in september earliest , good chance of being delayed as late as november . As per one person in street forum who has booked the bike - "each dealership will be allotted no more than 30 Street 750's a month.Since they have 13 dealerships that means 390/month for domestic market. "

Word is delhi mumbai etc averaging over a dozen bookings every day . Kolkata dealer last week said 50 in the first week .