Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2014, 18:01   #91
BHPian

Re: Harley-Davidson Street 750 for India: Unveiled @ Goa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Basu any indication on what the top speed is? I would be very surprised if it tops 140.
Based on a comment from the HDstreet forum , it should do 0-60mph in 3.3 secs which is a good figure.

Wet Weight of bike is almost 240kilo + weight of rider , 40+bhp at rear wheel , 6 speed gearbox - my guess is a regular rider will easily hit 120 and reach upto 150 but if one is simply aiming for top speed on a open road , I expect it to cross 160 if not more. This is a new motor from them and liquid cooled , while top end performance is not a deal breaker for me , I still expect it to hit 160 with ease. The 500cc single conti-gt can do 130 with ease .

Thing with harley is every single motorcycle they roll out is "underpowered" which they claim is due to regulation norms. Normally a new intake + exhaust + Remap(commonly known as paying the 'harley tax') can make a difference of 7-10hp in their 883cc motor. The entire thing is marketed as a moneymaker even after sale mainly through accessories sale.
Old 21st February 2014, 18:32   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post

Based on a comment from the HDstreet forum , it should do 0-60mph in 3.3 secs which is good
This is pretty improbable! A 390 with a 100kgs less hits 60mph in 5 odd seconds,the torque difference being not much.Typo somewhere?
avishar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 18:37   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Based on a comment from the HDstreet forum , it should do 0-60mph in 3.3 secs which is a good figure.

Wet Weight of bike is almost 240kilo + weight of rider , 40+bhp at rear wheel , 6 speed gearbox - my guess is a regular rider will easily hit 120 and reach upto 150 but if one is simply aiming for top speed on a open road , I expect it to cross 160 if not more. This is a new motor from them and liquid cooled , while top end performance is not a deal breaker for me , I still expect it to hit 160 with ease. The 500cc single conti-gt can do 130 with ease .

Thing with harley is every single motorcycle they roll out is "underpowered" which they claim is due to regulation norms. Normally a new intake + exhaust + Remap(commonly known as paying the 'harley tax') can make a difference of 7-10hp in their 883cc motor. The entire thing is marketed as a moneymaker even after sale mainly through accessories sale.
The 883 from all reports tops out at around 165 kmph. I don't see the 750 doing more than 150 but would be happy to be proven wrong.

I don't know in which parallel universe one has to first spend 7 lacs on a bike, and then pay an additional "tax" to make a 900 odd cc V-twin go comfortably past the ton - a mark more than a few 500 cc British singles were doing in the 1950s.

P.S. A Harley producing 46 odd bhp at crank and still managing 40+ bhp at rear wheel is something I'd like to see. On the Dyno preferably.

Last edited by ebonho : 21st February 2014 at 18:46.
Old 21st February 2014, 19:46   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Brands mean nothing to me.

About the bike on the other hand ....

"Pulse quickening acceleration to 110 kmph" ..... I checked to see if they were not describing a 200 cc single instead of a 750 cc V-twin.

That's one very moribund pulse.
What isn't pulse quickening for you may surely be pulse quickening to many. They sure were describing a 750 sir. Neither you nor I have ridden it yet to deride the claim.

Quote:
The 883 from all reports tops out at around 165 kmph. I don't see the 750 doing more than 150 but would be happy to be proven wrong.

I don't know in which parallel universe one has to first spend 7 lacs on a bike, and then pay an additional "tax" to make a 900 odd cc V-twin go comfortably past the ton - a mark more than a few 500 cc British singles were doing in the 1950s.

P.S. A Harley producing 46 odd bhp at crank and still managing 40+ bhp at rear wheel is something I'd like to see. On the Dyno preferably.
You don't have to go any universe sir. Right here, on this planet they do it. some call it "Harley tax", most are happy paying it. Some can't afford it. Some don't want to go for it. To each their own?

Can we pay "Bullet tax" if we had to and make a 350 a 500 or 750? Just curious to know. I am not aware if anything like that is possible at all.
Old 21st February 2014, 20:53   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
This is pretty improbable! A 390 with a 100kgs less hits 60mph in 5 odd seconds,the torque difference being not much.Typo somewhere?
I thought so as well hence the reference , there are barely any concrete info available for the street series except for the basic stuff. Even the power/torque figure are from 3rd party .

Quote:

Didn't know the 883 tops out at 165 , by that comparision I expect 150 from the 750 which is dissapointing. Not that I intend to hit that kind of speed , I can barely cross 100 without exposing myself to real danger but a motor should do better than that with 750cc of displacement and 2 cylinders.

Btw just for comparision sake , what is top speed of the ninja 300 and the duke 390 . Which motor(including 750) do you think will provide the smoothest performance and fastest acceleration and best suited for all kind of traffics/roads one can face at india ?
Old 21st February 2014, 21:30   #96
BHPian

Is the demo bike or test drive available in Bangalore ?
Old 21st February 2014, 21:54   #97
udy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
Is the demo bike or test drive available in Bangalore ?
Demo Bike is supposedly arriving on the 1st of March and the Test Ride bike a couple of weeks later as per Tusker Harley.
udy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 22:09   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Btw just for comparision sake , what is top speed of the ninja 300 and the duke 390 . Which motor(including 750) do you think will provide the smoothest performance and fastest acceleration and best suited for all kind of traffics/roads one can face at india ?
Apologies for going OT in the 750 thread,but i had a chance to test ride the 390 and Ninja 300 back to back recently.I found Ninja 300 fits your bill,its supremely flickable through traffic,wonderful smooth acceleration with nary any vibrations and drama but with the sweet sounding thrum from the twins.Its very easy to drive in traffic too and does crawling traffic and quick bursts with aplomb.I havnt had the oppurtunity to drive on the highway.

Another bike you might consider is the upcoming Bajaj CS400 and 400SS,their torque spread and power curve will be different than the dukes.

Top speed is i think academic in India above 120+ but what counts is how relaxed it can cruise at 100-110.Higher the capacity,lower the rpm at 100.:-)
avishar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2014, 11:21   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Didn't know the 883 tops out at 165 , by that comparision I expect 150 from the 750 which is dissapointing. Not that I intend to hit that kind of speed , I can barely cross 100 without exposing myself to real danger but a motor should do better than that with 750cc of displacement and 2 cylinders.
I agree. Just because we cannot go fast does not mean manufacturers do not need to built engines that can. We have cars and bikes being built in India that can comfortably top 200 kmph. Being driven and ridden and sold in the same place to the same people in the same currency.

I have always wryly shaken my head when first the Bullet boys and now the Harley boys get defensive and resort to diverting the discussion from outright performance (where both would be fighting hard for last place) to the "humungous torque" of their respective motors. Fact is, very little of that torque actually translates to anything real on the road, thanks to the equally humungous weight each have to respectively pull.

Torque should in the real world translate to stomach wrenching acceleration. Neither bike can be accused of the same. The other thing low rpm torque is good for is carrying and pulling loads against huge resistance (gradient or surface). But since bikes by their very nature are neither cargo carrying trucks and lorries nor earth digging excavators or tractors, that too is largely academic in the real world of motorcycling.

Quote:
The Ninja 300 would top out at 180+ I think. The Duke 390 would top out a little lower at 175+. But the Duke 390 would get there much quicker and more explosively from what I have heard from good riders who have ridden both for some distance to be able to comment.

If you have the budget (which you do, seeing as you are considering the Harley 750/500), I personally would ask you to seriously look at the Ninja 300. It is one yummy bike. Otherwise you cannot go wrong with the 390 either. Very yummy also, and half the price. The build quality and finish of the 300 would be better. But the cost of ownership would equally be significantly higher. The 390 could also be roughed up a lot more than the 300, thanks to better ground clearance and lesser plastic all around, not to mention lesser weight as well.

Last edited by ebonho : 22nd February 2014 at 11:23.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 21:55   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Torque should in the real world translate to stomach wrenching acceleration. Neither bike can be accused of the same.
=======
The 390 could also be roughed up a lot more than the 300, thanks to better ground clearance and lesser plastic all around, not to mention lesser weight as well.
The thing is I'm not into agressive sitting stance of sportsbike and they don't exactly suit my bodytype . That leaves me with either street 750 or bust . Enfield is out of question because I already have a '86 model and I dont want another one with same styling . KTM bikes are great but look a bit small under me (I'm 6'1 and 85kilo ) , I do find the RC390 an incredibly good looking bike but release date is not yet announced.

Infact the thought of purchasing a new bike was not even in my head until I found out the street 750 is 4.1 showroom . I don't know why but suddenly the price and researching about the bike attracted me a lot to it. If the test ride goes well , I think this is the one I'm going to book even though this is a decision made with the heart and not head. Will test ride the ninja 300 for sure though . Who knows , maybe the ride will change my mind other way
Old 24th February 2014, 12:10   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
KTM bikes are great but look a bit small under me (I'm 6'1 and 85kilo )
I'm 6 and 80 kilos. In the photos below, I was 95+ kilos. The thing about a bike is (for me at least), its more important how you feel on it and how it feels under you, than how you look on it or how it looks under you to others (who cares?!).

Harley-Davidson Street 750 for India: Unveiled @ Goa-1502.jpg

Harley-Davidson Street 750 for India: Unveiled @ Goa-5302.jpg
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 12:34   #102
Senior - BHPian

A lot has been said on the power (or lack of it ) of the 750 V twin engine. I, on the contrary, expect the new gen 750 liquid cooled engine to be faster, smoother, as well as more efficient than the current 883 engine that does duty on the Iron/Superlow. Reason = Liquid cooling + lower weight of bike + newer platform and Architecture etc. In fact, I am willing to put my neck on the line to say that I will not be surprised if the Street 750 has a higher top speed as well compared to Iron/Superlow. reason = sixth gear. The HD representatives seem to echo my sentiments. They were unanimous to point out that the 750 Street will almost certainly have better performance than the Iron/Superlow.

In fact, if the above expectations are not met, one has every reason to be disappointed 'Is this what HD has been able to come up after all these years?': will be my reaction. What say guys?

PS: I think we have to keep in mind though that the typical expectations for a HD starter is likely to be significantly different than somebody looking for a mid sized naked/sport bike. I bet that 0-100 will not be on top of the priority list. I've never seen an HD owner try to be a boy racer or enter a drag race. I know that part of the reason is that they can't (bikes are too slow) but the other part is that is typically not the mindset anyway

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 24th February 2014 at 12:37.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 18:33   #103
BHPian

New information regarding street 750 -

I called 3 dealerships today - delhi , kolkata , bangalore regarding pricing and test drive . The information I got from them-

Delhi - on-road 4.57 lakhs , display bike from march 1st and test ride from april onwards.
Mileage figure qouted - 25kmpl in city.

kolkata - on-road 4.82 lakhs , again display from march 1st but test from 2nd week of april. Mileage figure qouted(after enquiring from someone else) - 18-20kmpl

bangalore - on-road 4.99lakhs , test ride from april and mileage 15kmpl !!!

Colours available - gloss black , matte black and gloss red(frame black). 2-tone paint job available for extra charge . Forward controls available for extra charge.

On road is inclusive of insurance . And can someone please educate me on why delhi is significantly cheaper compared to bengal or karnataka ? :O

It is frankly sruprising that the liquid cooled smaller displacement revo-x has been qouted the same mileage as the 883cc sportster motor by 2 of them. Also they can't even offer test ride(inspite of having display bike) but already taking orders ? ridiculous . Delivery date 2-3 months from date of order.
Old 26th February 2014, 23:07   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it should do 0-60mph in 3.3 secs which is good
\

Thats serious competition for most of the ducatis and triumph rocket. I believe it should be 60kmph which makes more sense.
Old 26th February 2014, 23:50   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
\

Thats serious competition for most of the ducatis and triumph rocket. I believe it should be 60kmph which makes more sense.
This is a figure I got from the street 750 forum. After discussion and based on the info available , this number was dismissed as extremely unlikely. Yes 60kmph prolly makes more sense .
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks