Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2014, 17:18   #121
BHPian

Re: Comparison Report: Harley Davidson Iron 883 vs Triumph Bonneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post

RR, you seem to have come out of the Honey Moon period just in one year (I know people who came out in less than 4 months though), but then again on a lighter note I would say that many HD owners are perpetually in HM with their HDs.

Also the suspension issues are more with the entry level HDs and not with the 1000 cc plus big thumpers.

Ram
Hahaha... The HM is not yet over man.. still enjoying the bike.. and there are many things that i love about it despite all the flaws which honestly are more to do with the state of our roads and the way we behave on them...The problem is everytime i try to make it an everyday use bike it rebels and bites back which is frustrating

and i agree..had a chance to test ride the Fatboy which i aspire ad dream to own some day... was just amazed the way it behaved...As you rightly said the suspension issues are more with the 883 range...But isnt it criminal that you gotto put up with Arm and Back breaking ride even after spending 8lakhs??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Thank you very much for your honest, forthright and objective feedback on the Iron 883, it's almost like your driving prospective Iron/SuperLow customers away
RashReddy, How many kilometers have you put on your Iron883 in the last one year? What add-on's did you purchase for it? A picture of your bike here would be really nice. Thanks!
Thanks Mobike.. Wish you happy times with the bonny whenever you take the plunge...Bought my Bike in June 2013 and have done about 6k kms so far which includes a trip to Sakleshpur, Coorg and Goa

I was pretty much ran out of all my monies in just purchasing the bike.. Fit just the Engine guard, Footpegs and a Sundowner seat since the bike is a single seater... Just these 3simple accessories cost me around 60k.. The sundowner seat alone is 28k which is Daylight Robbery in my opinion

I have been riding a Bullet since the last ten years my friend and also burnt Bangalore streets on a Shogun and RD 350 in my college days.. Also had the previlege of owning an FZ1 for a year before i sold it (since it was not practical for everyday use) and went for the IRON.. so i think i do know a bit about Two Legged stuff to post here

Cheers!!
Attached Thumbnails
Comparison Report: Harley Davidson Iron 883 vs Triumph Bonneville-harley2.jpg  

Comparison Report: Harley Davidson Iron 883 vs Triumph Bonneville-harley3.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 8th February 2014 at 05:08. Reason: The post you quited has been deleted. Thanks
rashreddy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 17:57   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Mobike, how does the ST pull buddy? Does it make your hairs stand up? Feel giddy in the pit of your stomach? The riding position sounds a lot like the Duke actually. This is one test ride I'm so gonna ask for and take .....
Like I already mentioned, the bike pulls really good and the extra power is very much there to be seen. But, honestly i didnt get that hair on your spine standing up or giddy in your tummy feeling. I had to take the bike out in traffic and ride for 100 meters for a U-turn. It took me quite some time to take this U-turn as I was bit uncomfortable to turn around and start riding again

Once in motion, it's a rocket for sure but, i didnt dare lean into corners as I was little unsure of myself. I tested the bike in straight line and its a monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
O.T: Any further news on the HD Street 750 available for TD at Hyd? Being a sub 5L HD i think it deserves to be in contention too.. wat say ?
Price wise, definetly yes. HD 750 & Triumph Bonneville both of which right now are the cheapest products from their respective stable

However, both are extremely different products and for different experience seeking customers.

If performance and ride enjoyment is going to be primary factor for a prospective customer then I feel the buyer will not even look at HD at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashreddy View Post
But isnt it criminal that you gotto put up with Arm and Back breaking ride even after spending 8lakhs??
Would it be any chance that your bike has some suspension issue and not all IRON's are similar to your experience? It would be great if Shubz who has a Iron contributes on this thread with his experience on the suspension for other readers

Quote:
Thanks Mobike.. Wish you happy times with the bonny whenever you take the plunge...Bought my Bike in June 2013 and have done about 6k kms so far which includes a trip to Sakleshpur, Coorg and Goa
Wow, thats a lot of riding in last 7 odd months. My 2 year old bullet has just 9k on the odo....And, I agree my Classic 500 can go over any kind of terrain and i dont feel anything. It just thinks nothing of crossing big speedbreakers and most times there is no need to slow down as well shows the great quality of the suspension

Quote:
I have been riding a Bullet since the last ten years my friend and also burnt Bangalore streets on a Shogun and RD 350 in my college days.. Also had the previlege of owning an FZ1 for a year before i sold it (since it was not practical for everyday use) and went for the IRON.. so i think i do know a bit about Two Legged stuff to post here
Thats one helluva looking ride. HD looks best in black and matt looks great especially on the Iron and 48'. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed a Shogun too during my college days, one of the best sounding machines after the RX-100

Last edited by mobike008 : 12th February 2014 at 12:59. Reason: edited out some unwarranted comments
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 18:06   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mobike, how does the ST pull buddy? Does it make your hairs stand up? Feel giddy in the pit of your stomach? The riding position sounds a lot like the Duke actually. This is one test ride I'm so gonna ask for and take .....
Doc, the riding position is similar to the Duke 390. Street and Speed are kind of cloned from Daytona isn't it and hence the DNA has to show.

In my experience the pull does all that you described and some more. Only it needs a little more getting used to the seating position. But chaps used to Dukes etc would be right at home. Avi I think did not get a chance to give it a real work out

Go on and take a TD and I have feeling we will have an addition to the Triumph Rats group soon

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 23:10   #124
BHPian

Thanks for a brilliant comparison Mobike008. Threads like this are great insights into a complex buying decision and the fact that you had a test ride of both the bikes in your list back to back is simply 'the' best way to make up your mind.
I happened to see the Bonny (and Street Triple and Tiger 8ooXC) up close on a ride a few weeks back and it looks and sounds absolutely fantastic. The Bonny's understated looks might not attract everyone but a true enthusiast will know its legacy and what it can do on the road. For that matter, laymen mistake a RD350 for a modified RX, a duke 390 for a duke 200 and the 2011 Ninja650 for some kind of Karizma. Basing a bike buying decision on such frivolous sentiment is just plain funny to me

Hope to see your detailed report on the Bonny soon!

Last edited by Technocrat : 8th February 2014 at 05:09. Reason: The post you quoted has been deleted, thanks
niranjanrvce is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2014, 13:25   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Would it be any chance that your bike has some suspension issue and not all IRON's are similar to your experience? It would be great if Shubz who has a Iron contributes on this thread with his experience on the suspension for other readers

Wow, thats a lot of riding in last 7 odd months. My 2 year old bullet has just 9k on the odo....And, I agree my Classic 500 can go over any kind of terrain and i dont feel anything. It just flies over them and I make it a point not to slow down on speed breakers and just demolish them as they come in my way

Thats one helluva looking ride. HD looks best in black and matt looks great especially on the Iron and 48'. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed a Shogun too during my college days, one of the best sounding machines after the RX-100
I have had a chance to ride some of my friends Super Low and 48 and they are worse than IRON in this aspect.. Like i said this is problem is across the entry level range of HD.. Horrible is an understatement actually
But its a different story in the Fatboy and other Big Boy Harleys

Totally agree.. The Bull despite all its flaws is just amazing and unmatched in this aspect.. Dont think any other bike in india even comes close.. It is unfazed and just smothers anything and everything that our roads have to throw at it...
I have done more than 60k on the Bullet and some of the things i have done and the places i have taken it to, cant even dream of doing on the Baby Harley

Thanks... Man Those were the days... Young Blood, Shogun and clean, uncrowded 90s Bangalore roads : Heady Cocktail

Last edited by Technocrat : 8th February 2014 at 05:10. Reason: The post you quoted has been deleted, thanks
rashreddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2014, 15:29   #126
BHPian

What do you guys think of dyna family @ Harley Davidson in terms of street bob, glide and fat bob in terms of the bike suspension and riding quality compared to their street bikes?

Mod Note : Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. HD, ANHC, T-Fort, ANHV) when referring to cars/bikes. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name for cars/bikes. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Any further usage of acronyms will invite Moderator action on your account.

Last edited by noopster : 10th February 2014 at 17:37. Reason: Refer mod note in post
Old 6th February 2014, 16:58   #127
Senior - BHPian

1) Suspension

While I agree the suspension is a point of discussion. As much value it may not have or have on this thread, I'd like to post a POV as requested by Avi.

The suspension on my Iron (agreeing to what most say) isn't all that great. BUT - It isn't that bad that it needs constant ridiculing by the folks who aren't too inclined towards a Harley.

As far as "Lot of riding" goes, I don't know if I fall into that category or not - My AW is a month and a half old and its showing an ODO reading of 3200+ on it. Thanks to the IBW ride!

While on the IBW ride, I rode with a pillion. She was not heavy. There were a zillion spead breakers on the way. It all depended on how one negotiates the bump. I have had the bottom lightly scrape on 4 or 5 occassions. Each time the bump in question was a badly laid speed (back) breaker.

The rear suspension has bottomed out with a dull thud on 2 or 3 occasions Reason being - I was at incorrect speed while going over the bump, so once the rear wheel got down the bump, there was this mild thud.

But I don't see my bike sagging at the back, or the exhaust pipes pointing downwards (I am using stock exhausts, not the V&H short shot, big radius)

Else - throughout the 1200+ kms ride and through earlier ride, I wasn't all that exhausted, nor did the pillion raise any discomfort except for the need to stretch the knees on the return.

2) Track - Why are we even talking of Bonnie running circles around the Iron on a track? Are these bikes meant for the tracks? or are we just using any means to show the downside of the Iron and score a moral victory?

3) HD bashing - Some may come across as fanboys (I don't see any issue with that). Some may come across as not. I don't think the Iron is such a bad machine that it needs to thrown to the dogs and trampled upon like it has been so far.

Every machine deserves some respect! Request every forum member to respect other person's choice and not to come across as "My daddy strongest". (only a request)

I may not be a great rider, but for the 3k plus kms I have on my ODO so far (and many more to come) - I have simply loved every moment on it! And I don't think am going to fall out of love any time soon.

Disclaimer: The above opinion is purely and solely my own and not to instigate any kind of brand bashing or person bashing. Anyone finding my points offensive to their brand, please accept my apologies in advance.

Thank you & ride safe!

Quote:

If performance and ride enjoyment is going to be primary factor for a prospective customer then I feel the buyer will not even look at HD at all.
Avi - please merge this post with the earlier one if need be. T-bhp has been terribly slow/unresponsive all day today.

Could you please shed more light on this comment made by you? You or anyone has ridden a 750 to say "A buyer will not look at HD"? Just curious.

Last edited by noopster : 10th February 2014 at 17:38. Reason: Merged as requested. Please "report" post for quicker response
Shubz is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th February 2014, 17:46   #128
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys take a chillpill, let's stop this mud-slinging and uphold the integrity of this wonderful forum called TeamBHP. Let us not lose our sanity over these things. It is a known and accepted fact that no motorcycle in this world is "perfect" every motorcycle has its share of niggles and awesomeness. We also have to keep in mind what a niggle is for me may not be to the other. For instance I am a Bullet fanboy and own two bullets while a third one will be under restoration soon. For me taking out and cleaning the spark plug, tuning the carburetor, fiddling with the CB points maybe enjoyable but for some one else these might be a royal pain in the ass and they might get fed up with the constant niggles. I try to visualize myself in their shoes to experience what they must be going through and feel they are right as they didn't buy the bike to keep up with its tantrums, but for me as an owner I have learnt to live and solve these issues on my own at the same time I can't expect every owner to do this. There is no doubt that Harley Davidson is a cult bike an american sweetheart it is and has a fan following all over the world. There must be something that drives so many people towards a Harley Davidson motorcycle. Similarly Triumph too is a cult bike a British sweetheart it is and has a loyal fanbase around the world. These two bikes namely Harley Davidson Iron/Super Low and Triumph Bonneville/Bonneville T100 are different from each other one is a Vtwin while the other is a parallel twin. Each has its own charm and niggles as highlighted in this forum and elsewhere. We as mature bikers/riders should respect each others' rides and at the same time accept the niggles of our steeds. To reiterate this One of my close friends wanted to buy a Royal Enfield motorcycle and I told him the good things and the bad things in a balanced way, and let me tell you he is yet to decide which is a right bike for him. To each his own but one thing is for sure in a price conscious market like India one becomes extra conscious while buying a motorcycle that costs 8 big ones and certain things like a weak shock absorber, low ground clearance that aids scraping even after paying 8 big ones is difficult to digest and money to be paid over and above the stock model to change the shock absorbers makes one think thrice if not twice while paying those extra several grands. It is a hard fact but country specific aspects have to be taken into consideration by these big conglomerates while designing and launching their products and this is not just India specific but any country for that matter. Infact our market is one of the biggest two wheeler market in the world although still adolescent when it comes to Harley's, Triumph's, Ducati's, etc. Still it should give these manufacturers some food for thought when it comes to customizing products for a local market. The best example is BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc. increasing the wheelbase of some of their cars for Chinese customers in China.

We as mature bikers/riders have to respect each others' steeds and accept their shortcomings. Let us have a healthy debate like I said to each his own.

Ride Loud Ride Proud
navin_v8 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th February 2014, 19:00   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
But I don't see my bike sagging at the back, or the exhaust pipes pointing downwards (I am using stock exhausts, not the V&H short shot, big radius)
Nice mature post Shubz. I must point out though that the rear sag and the inclination of the pipes is not something the rider would see. Its clearly visible to others though. As is the bobbing yo-yoing backend on even mild undulations (the grounds of Vagator at IBW for instance .... the small ditches which other bikes were simply hopping over, became serious cross country for the Harley boys).

I think as motorheads all here, the one thing we can ALL agree on is that it is a sickening horrible feeling when the bottom of your vehicle (car or bike) scrapes with that grating sound or the suspension bottoms out. It simply spoils the entire drive/ride because after that you always expect it and drive/ride in a way to compensate so that it does not repeat. Basically hold back and not push with that thing always at the back of your mind to watch out for.

No bike is perfect, and there is no bad bike. Just less than perfect manufacturers with an eye on profits to varying degrees.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2014, 19:17   #130
BANNED

Quote:
I have had a chance to ride some of my friends Super Low and 48 and they are worse than IRON in this aspect.. Like i said this is problem is across the entry level range of HD.. Horrible is an understatement actually
I know it's not much, but have you tried adjusting your rear suspension?

Any local mechanic can turn the setting for you, and no, it wont void your warranty.

Quote:
We were talking about not being tuned for Indian conditions. The Harleys are not tuned for Indian conditions. I have seen all Harleys sagging at the back, so much so that the silencer pipes are pointing to the ground. This is with solo rider. Put a pillion on and the whole rear mudguard gets compressed till its just on top of the rear tyre, bottoming out with even small undulations. Harley's solution to this is to buy from them expensive after market shockers. Why? Were the multiple lac rupees the Indian customer paid them not enough to provide him with a decent suspension? How can you defend this bro?
Interesting observation. Wonder which country the HD's are "Tuned" for. The last time I checked the average American weighed a lot more than the average Indian.

Seen a lot of Harleys with scraped exhausts? Sure it wasn't from leaning over too much?

Don't know how you can have any >800cc bike "Tuned" for Indian conditions since the Govt itself has mandated EU spec.

Maybe you mean better "Suited" for Indian conditions.

Quote:

And, I agree my Classic 500 can go over any kind of terrain and i dont feel anything. It just flies over them and I make it a point not to slow down on speed breakers and just demolish them as they come in my way
Are you sure a "Moderator" of this forum should advocate "Flying" through speed breakers? Speed breakers are there for a reason, whether you agree with the reason or not, one should not glorify capability to fly through speed breakers.

No matter how much bashing or competition from Japanese and other manufacturers have come and gone, HD keeps happily chugging along with the "potato-potato". There must be a reason for that.

It's because HD is passionate about Motorcycles, and to some extent expect their owners to be as well. And as the balance sheets prove, there are a lot of them out there. (dkaile)

Biking is about Freedom. Freedom to Choose as well.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2014, 19:45   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice mature post Shubz. I must point out though that the rear sag and the inclination of the pipes is not something the rider would see. Its clearly visible to others though. As is the bobbing yo-yoing backend on even mild undulations (the grounds of Vagator at IBW for instance .... the small ditches which other bikes were simply hopping over, became serious cross country for the Harley boys).

I think as motorheads all here, the one thing we can ALL agree on is that it is a sickening horrible feeling when the bottom of your vehicle (car or bike) scrapes with that grating sound or the suspension bottoms out. It simply spoils the entire drive/ride because after that you always expect it and drive/ride in a way to compensate so that it does not repeat. Basically hold back and not push with that thing always at the back of your mind to watch out for.

No bike is perfect, and there is no bad bike. Just less than perfect manufacturers with an eye on profits to varying degrees.
Doc,

Here are a couple of pics. One with me on it, one just parked. The suspension seems just fine. Now you may say I am not heavy enough to make a difference. ;-)

Will try to get a pic of me riding it for more clarity.

2ndly - the bobbing/yo-yo'ing of the backend that you talk of - are you saying it is typical only of the Harleys? The other brand bikes don't bob/yo-yo? Because in the last couple of years, I have ridden just the Duke and the Iron. I sure could feel the bobbing/yo-yo'ing on the Duke too.

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Comparison Report: Harley Davidson Iron 883 vs Triumph Bonneville-img20140201wa0002.jpg  

Comparison Report: Harley Davidson Iron 883 vs Triumph Bonneville-imag05091.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 8th February 2014 at 05:13. Reason: Removed duplicate pictures, thanks
Shubz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 06:40   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Ever since I had one short test ride and a very long one of the Triumph Bonneville, My wife started noticing a strange behaviour from side.

According to her my diet went down, iam day-dreaming more than usual, referring to her by mistake as "Bonnie", spending sleepless nights etc.

For sake of everyone's good, she decided to put me out of my misery--- And, is gifting me the "Triumph Bonneville"

Gents, Iam going to be a super proud owner of a Triumph Bonneville soon
Attached Thumbnails
Comparison Report: Harley Davidson Iron 883 vs Triumph Bonneville-img_20140206_141102_edit.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 09:57   #133
BHPian

congrats Avi , which color have you opted for !
rm_arjuna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 09:58   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Ever since I had one short test ride and a very long one of the Triumph Bonneville, My wife started noticing a strange behaviour from side.

According to her my diet went down, iam day-dreaming more than usual, referring to her by mistake as "Bonnie", spending sleepless nights etc.

For sake of everyone's good, she decided to put me out of my misery--- And, is gifting me the "Triumph Bonneville"

Congrats Avi and your wife is really nice to give you such an expensive gift What color and when is the delivery.

I was thinking maybe you will give the street 750 a ride before closing the deal. I will do test rides of Street 750 , Superlow and Bonneville before taking the plunge. Some of the mods on 750 are beautiful. And the price also looks good.
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 10:21   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Congratulations Avinash !

Hope Mrs Avinash realizes she has done a bad turn to herself in gifting you the Bonnie - that from now on she has competition for getting your attention!!!

What is the waiting period ? and what colour - Black I presume.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed