Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2014, 14:41   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Comparison Report: Harley Davidson Iron 883 vs Triumph Bonneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Congratulations absythguzzler (have you ever really tasted the stuff? ) on you new Bonneville. Please do start an ownership thread with a lot of nice photos of the details of the bike. Would love to se the close up fit and finish of this legendary marque that came back to life. Personaly, always been a Brit bike man at heart. That's where my loyalties and heart lies.
He has spent considerable time in UK himself so thats another angle to his Bonnie story so you can imagine what all he could have tasted there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Guys, any idea when Triumph is opening a dealership in Bombay?
I think next dealership openings are in this order-Pune, Mumbai and Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Mobike008 did you get the pricing of spares comparison?
It's too early for spares and accessories as the showroom had just a few like Gloves, Tees etc. They are expecting a whole bunch of accessories maybe by end of Feb-2014

I compared only one thing that I plan to upgrade if i buy the Bonny. Arrow Performance Exhaust is quoted at 28K which seems almost same price as their competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Truly, as long as you are riding, you never get old.
I used to ride a lot in my college days. Have done many trips on a Shogun/Rx100 from Hyderabad to Pune and back in some severe conditions .

Many trips from Pune to Mahby, Lonavla, Mumbai etc but, moved on to cars primarly due to comfort and explored all cars and now since past 3-4 years rediscovered the joys of biking

Yup, riding truly makes you feel alive !!
Old 2nd February 2014, 00:50   #77
Senior - BHPian

Avi well written. Been tracking your comments in the launch thread of triumph and i knew you would love this ride. I knew you would end up with the bonni and your guilty for me spending my friday drooling on this bike!

One query: Who is triumphs target market in other countries? Guy who comes with cash down or guy who goes for financing? As a bit of search and thats what i felt. How is servicing costs in general with triumph? Asking all this to see if this can make sense for my Dad. He would love this as he had a Yezdi before.

For members on the forum. This battle between this bike and that bike will always go on. In the end it is what the person on the ride feels which matters. Heart vs head is a difficult one to make.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 09:03   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Triumph Bonneville 100kms Test Ride Report

Iam super glad to share a detailed ride report of Triumph Bonneville and simply elated to reiterate that my initial feel report in 1st post of this thread was not a “flash in pan” feeling. I urge you to ride this bike then decide whichever bike you’re contemplating if you’re in the market for a bike in this price range. Iam smitten and that too real hard, you’ll know why as you read further.

Firstly, Hats off to Absysnthguzzler for buying the Bonny without even test riding it and simply relying on its history, merit and what he read on internet. You’ll agree only a fraction of customer base would be so focused in what they want in the first place, so double kudos to him for such a brave decision.

This short conversation took place between us morning after his Bonny’s delivery

Arun : Hey Avi, Would you like to keep the bike for a day or two so you can be doubly sure before you plonk your “SEVEN”

I was like for a moment, did I hear that correctly ? What an amazing gesture!!!

Avi: I would love too. But, I prefer a long ride than keeping the bike with me.

Arun: Done, tomorrow (Saturday) at 7:00AM? Let’s ride wherever you’d like too. I’ll ride your RE and you take over the Bonny

Avi: Done. See you at Minerva Coffee Shop at 7:00AM

It was as simple as that.

Yesterday, we met up at 7:30AM and I got astride his Bonny and he on my RE, we took off towards the city outskirts weaving through early morning thin traffic. First few kilometers just reinstated my earlier feeling. It’s the most versatile bike that you can own and most importantly it can be used as a daily bike as well.

Here is a detailed report of Triumph Bonneville after riding it for 100kms that involved heavy traffic, open highway, sweeping turns of Outer Ring Road (ORR), speed breaker stretches etc

Ride: It’s slightly on the harder side. If you’re going over smooth roads you will not even feel that it’s hard but, when you go over even patches you will realize it’s stiffly tuned but, it’s not uncomfortably hard. I like this slight stiffer suspension, great aid for handling.

Handling: This is where the Bonny excels. I was simply throwing the bike in every direction. Dipping into sweeping lefts and rights at over 100kmph and the bike feels as if going straight. Handling is so beautiful I don’t want to sound prejudiced by continuously speaking about it, it is for you to ride and experience this feeling. I fell in love simply for this one reason. Being a brand new bike, I was not exceeding a certain speed limit

Performance: Bonny is extremely quick and power comes in relentlessly and smoothly. It’s a high revving machine and you will love to revv the nuts of this bike and as already mentioned the clutch is superb. Light, Butter smooth and engages without any issues.

Gearshifts are lightening quick and here is where I found the biggest downside (or is it an upside?). It has the typical universal 1-DOWN, 4-UP gears. However, I noticed that when I upshift to 5th gear, Iam continuing to try to shift another gear as I felt as if bike’s in 2nd or 3rd gear. There is still so much power left in the bike. I think they should have done a 1-DOWN and 5 UP gears (one additional gear). Perhaps, Ram can comment as he has more experience with this bike. Btw, another thing I noticed during this ride is 1st gear goes with a clunk sound though the action required is not deliberate and rest of the gears are noiseless and smooth.

Tyres : Iam riding on Metzelers for the first time and liked how they perform, they grip the road like leech, I felt no fear in throwing the bike into corners when a few of them were bit gravely and still the same feeling. But, Iam given to understand they last about 15,000kms-18000kms

Riding Position: Speaking for myself, it’s the perfect riding position. Handle bar not too high, nor low. Arms stretched out in a comfortable position. I can keep on riding for hours together and yet may not feel discomfort. Will know it for sure only after riding long distances. Love the foot peg position, it's sporty yet doesn’t feel tiring.

Brakes: Just to reiterate what I already said before, It’s exceptionally good. Feels very confidence inspiring

Bling/Attention Factor: As you all know, this bike doesn’t have any of it. But, that doesn’t mean people were not gaping during our ride yesterday. We got our fair attention (though I don’t care much even though it’s a feel good factor). People were staring at traffic signals. Some were pointing from buses, peering from inside the car to get a closer look and one even asked me price of bike and did a thumbs-up. It may not get attention as an Harley would but, that’s something I can personally live with.

After riding it for 100kms, I also identified a few downsides which for me personally are not a deal breaker as there is work around for them.

Here they are for the record:-

1.Horn is pretty weak, sounds like an old M800. This is weapon that you cannot do without on Indian roads
2.Footpegs don’t seem of good quality
3.Seats are slightly hard
4.Bonneville SE doesn’t come with a tachometer. This is sorely missed, I love watching the counter when shifting gears (as in car) as you would want to see the revv counter when you’re shifting. Arun was mentioning it’s at 80kmph at 1500rpm. Not sure if that’s a guess or even if it’s correct. It redlines at 7000rpm
5.Some basics they didn’t give much attention. Like the Triumph Logo on back seat which is almost invisible, stitching on seats could have been double piping instead

Summary: This bike is for you if you want to own a heritage yet be inconspicuous, flamboyant yet merge into invisibility, performance, and ride and handling are top parameters, potter around town as well as love blazing fast runs on the highway. Basically, its a lot of fun to ride this bike and will ensure a permanent grin is pasted on your face !!

I will hopefully should be booking the Triumph Bonneville in next few days and looking forward to enjoying this bike . Thanks to Ram and Arun for their contributions to help me decide on the Bonny.

Yours Truly

Comparison Report: Harley Davidson Iron 883 vs Triumph Bonneville-avi_01.jpg

Absythguzzler (Arun)

Comparison Report: Harley Davidson Iron 883 vs Triumph Bonneville-arun.jpg
mobike008 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 09:38   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
The Bonnie has arrived and now the journey and experience begins . You'll shall hear more as i learn and potter along into a whole new world
Congrats absynthguzzler ! The grin says it All !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

I will hopefully should be booking the Triumph Bonneville in next few days and looking forward to enjoying this bike
One more in Hyderabad !
Congrats on the decision mobike008 !

Quick question : Did the speed humps pose any problem ? Any bottom scrapping ?

Cheers
DieselDon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 09:49   #80
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Absythguzzler on the new Bonne. May I suggest that you remove the hideous saree guard at the earliest and also reposition/remove the front licence plate for a better harmonious view of the bike.

Wishing you many years of happy riding on it.
Old 2nd February 2014, 12:37   #81
Senior - BHPian

Arun and Avi,

This is waht friends are for and I am making few observations with in Avi's post. (In bold Italics)

Quote:

Arun : Hey Avi, Would you like to keep the bike for a day or two so you can be doubly sure before you plonk your “SEVEN”

I was like for a moment, did I hear that correctly ? What an amazing gesture!!!

Avi: I would love too. But, I prefer a long ride than keeping the bike with me.

Excellent offer and what I feel is a correct response - and an opportunity to revisit before "plonking your seven"

Ride: It’s slightly on the harder side. If you’re going over smooth roads you will not even feel that it’s hard but, when you go over even patches you will realize it’s stiffly tuned but, it’s not uncomfortably hard. I like this slight stiffer suspension, great aid for handling.

Yes its almost exactly same as it was with RD 350s - those of you had a chance to ride the new ones will certainly remember - I think the Kayaba pedigree front tubes are primary reason for this similarity

Handling: This is where the Bonny excels. I was simply throwing the bike in every direction. Dipping into sweeping lefts and rights at over 100kmph and the bike feels as if going straight. Handling is so beautiful

Fully second this feeling and it grows on you so much that I am sure when you got back on to your MM you could hve been slightly ill at ease for a few moments atleast

It has the typical universal 1-DOWN, 4-UP gears. However, I noticed that when I upshift to 5th gear, Iam continuing to try to shift another gear as I felt as if bike’s in 2nd or 3rd gear. There is still so much power left in the bike. I think they should have done a 1-DOWN and 5 UP gears (one additional gear).

This was one of my first observations and have commented on it even in my thresd - believe me those of us who ride listening to the engine, will always keep lifting the lever to ensure, that its in 5th. This becomes almost an habit and not likely to go away - again I have to confess that I had developed this habit not on Bonney but on RD350 searching for the 7th

Perhaps, Ram can comment as he has more experience with this bike. Btw, another thing I noticed during this ride is 1st gear goes with a clunk sound though the action required is not deliberate and rest of the gears are noiseless and smooth.

The "clunk" is there and for some reason, is more pronounced specially when the bike is hot. On cold start with couple of puls on the clutch often the clunck doesn't happen

Bling/Attention Factor: Some were pointing from buses, peering from inside the car to get a closer look and one even asked me price of bike and did a thumbs-up. It may not get attention as an Harley would but, that’s something I can personally live with.

Didn't any one ask you the most favourite question of all - KDH ?

1.Horn is pretty weak, sounds like an old M800. This is weapon that you cannot do without on Indian roads

I don't know what horn is there on the bike there - but what is on mine is pretty loud for a bike and in my short trip to Blore city I was getting peoples attention with that as and when required - may what I have is a different brand

3.Seats are slightly hard

A "gel" insert is the answer to make it more pliable and comfortable

4.Bonneville SE doesn’t come with a tachometer.

Bangalore dealer I believe, was quoting INR 15 K to convert the console to the double one as there is in T100. Its a good VFM its correct.

Summary: This bike is for you if you want to own a heritage yet be inconspicuous, flamboyant yet merge into invisibility, performance, and ride and handling are top parameters, potter around town as well as love blazing fast runs on the highway. Basically, its a lot of fun to ride this bike and will ensure a permanent grin is pasted on your face !!

Spot on Avinash

I will hopefully should be booking the Triumph Bonneville in next few days and looking forward to enjoying this bike . Thanks to Ram and Arun for their contributions to help me decide on the Bonny.
Keep the chain lubed at about 500 KM range for longer life. Try and get a centre stand as soon as possible as its big help with this chore.

Other than that, ride responsibly and who knows you guys may pass the bike on to your next generation - Arun I think is a case point here

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 13:18   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a closer look at the Triumph Bonneville from our ride yesterday !!
Attached Thumbnails
Comparison Report: Harley Davidson Iron 883 vs Triumph Bonneville-20140201_091827_01.jpg  

Comparison Report: Harley Davidson Iron 883 vs Triumph Bonneville-20140201_091800_02.jpg  

Comparison Report: Harley Davidson Iron 883 vs Triumph Bonneville-20140201_085958_02.jpg  

Comparison Report: Harley Davidson Iron 883 vs Triumph Bonneville-20140201_085831_03.jpg  

Comparison Report: Harley Davidson Iron 883 vs Triumph Bonneville-20140201_085728_03.jpg  

Comparison Report: Harley Davidson Iron 883 vs Triumph Bonneville-20140201_091739_01.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 19:31   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon View Post
Quick question : Did the speed humps pose any problem ? Any bottom scrapping ?
Not really. I must have crossed atleast 12-15 speed breakers during this ride and obviously i was going slow as it was Arun's bike and wanted to be really careful. At the outset, it didnt present any problems with the speedbreakers.

Will be able to judge better in long ownership period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
May I suggest that you remove the hideous saree guard at the earliest and also reposition/remove the front licence plate for a better harmonious view of the bike
He is planning to remove the saree guard shortly but, keeping it for time being as its mandatory for RTO related approvals etc. Front licence plate is a provision for all Bonnies, not sure it can be removed and kept in a better place. But, knowing Arun, he will find a solution for that as well if required considering he is a DIY expert and has many plans for subtle mods/improvements for the Bonny already planned

Btw, if your not aware. Arun is quickest indian as he came 1st in recent drag event (Indian Open) at Amby Valley clocking 12.07 sec in the 1/4th mile beating the likes of Porsche 911, M5's etc and 2nd in entire drag event only to a Nissan GTR in a self made car ( Peuguot 309)which is kind of a record.

You can find more details about it on the valley run thread on forum. He is the same guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Keep the chain lubed at about 500 KM range for longer life. Try and get a centre stand as soon as possible as its big help with this chore
Sure Ram, will make a note of it. Service details are as follows

1st Service at 800kms, 2nd service is at 10,000kms. The expected costs is around 6 grand not sure if its from 10,000kms onwards or even this cost will apply at 800kms service point.

Lovely engraving on the handle bar lock cover

Comparison Report: Harley Davidson Iron 883 vs Triumph Bonneville-20140201_085625_01.jpg

Worthy Caption. Got BHP?

Comparison Report: Harley Davidson Iron 883 vs Triumph Bonneville-20140201_090630_01.jpg

Compared to the Bull, Bonny felt heavy and i couldnt even push the bike in standstill. Though its easier sitting on it

Comparison Report: Harley Davidson Iron 883 vs Triumph Bonneville-20140201_091253_01.jpg

Comparison Report: Harley Davidson Iron 883 vs Triumph Bonneville-20140201_091306_02.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 2nd February 2014 at 19:32.
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 20:54   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Keep the chain lubed at about 500 KM range for longer life. Try and get a centre stand as soon as possible as its big help with this chore.

Ram
Hi Ram,

Do you have any issue with the footpegs. I am 5'9" and they were hitting my calf. I read online that some others faced this issues as well. But Avi and others did not have such issue. Are they any alternative footpegs that can rectfy this issue.

Will the center stand affect the ground clearance? When I en-quired the dealer did inform me that chain needs lubrication every 500km for long life. I love the harleys for this. No issues of lubrication
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 22:46   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Hi Ram,

Do you have any issue with the footpegs. I am 5'9" and they were hitting my calf. I read online that some others faced this issues as well. But Avi and others did not have such issue. Are they any alternative footpegs that can rectfy this issue.

Will the center stand affect the ground clearance? When I en-quired the dealer did inform me that chain needs lubrication every 500km for long life. I love the harleys for this. No issues of lubrication
i21r,

I am 5'5" and till date have not had any issues. From what I understand, I think you are planting your feet too close to the bike, other wise, the foot peg, which is essentially as vide as your foot will not hit your calf - that is my assumption

With my inseam length of 30.5" I am able to plant both my feet on either side of the peg - essentially when you are ridding you normally tend to lean only on one of the legs isn't it.

Another thing, may be the unfamiliarity of your muscles with the weight and reference points of the bike. Your muscles are used to your regular ride and hence some involuntary muscle activity is causing this problem.

Human muscles I believe have a tendency the memorize its positions (like an advanced car seat) for each repeat activity and act accordingly - the reason some of us bump our heads on the door frame, when using an unfamiliar car or a new car

The above is the reason why MB008 is feeling Bonnie to be much heavier than his Bullet - in a few days the Bullet will feel even lighter, if he is keeping it.

Both Chain and Belt drives have their own plus and minus points - let us leave it at that

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 23:58   #86
BHPian

Very nice 'Review' of the BonneVille Avinash. You simply put your feelings directly into language and did that honestly. We could 'see' your feelings. So, when are going to bring one home?

Congratulations Arun for the buy. Hope to see it in the next T-BHP meets.

-Sai
Vihari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 00:03   #87
Senior - BHPian

A HOGs Final Ride

A Harley Davidson Owners Final Ride (literally)

In this thread, there has been a good comparison between both Triumph and Harley Davidson and some healthy debates following that.

People less familiar with the "brand" that Harley Davidson is, may have been wondering why some HD owners were so bothered to defend and root for HD and trying to establish that HD is as good or even better than Triumph. As a person who owned both - I thought the defence of both were going little too far at times - but I have tremendous amounts of respect for the "engineering marvel" that HD is and the aura around its sound. But that is it, and due to various reasons never felt inclined to be part of HOG due to some of the images associated with some of the HOGs

But then that is HD, which in itself is a lifestyle and the is one of the best examples of how a brand can develop a culture and folklore associated with a machine.

As I said before I respect the HD as a bike and the reasons that the men who ride them, have for ridding them.

I have had the pleasure to work with some full blooded Americans, who are HOGs and spends all of their spare time pampering their rides often to the utter despire of their Spouses/GFs and often had a good laugh with them, when the spouse/GF says that, they will bury the bike with their husbands. Little did I realize that one day, I will see this literally

The article and the picture appeared in one of the English dailies here - Gulf News.

Comparison Report: Harley Davidson Iron 883 vs Triumph Bonneville-hd-fans-final-ride.jpg

Mr. Billy Standley died at the age of 82 (of lung cancer) being buried whilst seated on his 1967 Electra Glide (one of my favourite HDs ever).

Billy we all pray the you glide in through the pearly gates and give a ride to St Peter on you way in. RIP Man.

This is the kind of attachment that a HD owner has to his machine and this is the reason why sometime over enthusiastic responses we get when defending the brand.

Of course there are such fanatics in the Triumph camp as well. Give couple of years, you will see that as well in some threads.

I am sure you will all like the sentiment of the news article and what a way for "petrol-head" to go for his final ride

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

(Mods please excuse my back to back post)
r_nairtvm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 10:38   #88
BHPian

Re: Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review

For prospective buyers, this debate is not just healthy but very helpful. So keep up the good work, both sides !

Just to add some fuel to the roaring fire, I found this Bonnie versus Harley comparo, on youtube, which I think has been shared on some other thread too. Makes sense for it to be posted here.:

Last edited by Insearch : 3rd February 2014 at 10:51.
Insearch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 11:38   #89
BHPian

Quote:

Iam super glad to share a detailed ride report of Triumph Bonneville ...
Firstly, Hats off to Absysnthguzzler for buying the Bonny without even test riding it and simply relying on its history, merit and what he read on internet.
Hearty Congrats to Arun on his B-E-A-UTIFUL purchase and wish him many more smiley miles ahead ! .

Some humble cents from myside IMO

1.Replace the long mirrors with bit shorter ones ,personally i would get some good bar end mirrors ending up on the topside of the handle bar. The stocks get shaky after some speeds.
2.Move down the front number plate to area below the headlight and get a good short windsheild fitted which will make it look very good.
3.Horn needs to changed for sure.

Avi hope you get BONNIED soon and waiting to see an ownership review ASAP

Cheers
Pheonix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 12:07   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Do you have any issue with the footpegs. I am 5'9" and they were hitting my calf. I read online that some others faced this issues as well. But Avi and others did not have such issue. Are they any alternative footpegs that can rectfy this issue
I think footpegs are positioned in a perfect position irrespective of what is your height. I think you should take a test ride ( which you havent yet) to come to a conclusion if its still uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vihari View Post
Very nice 'Review' of the BonneVille Avinash. You simply put your feelings directly into language and did that honestly. We could 'see' your feelings. So, when are going to bring one home?
Thanks Sai. Yeah, it really tore through my heart. Hence, the feelings came straight from there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insearch View Post
For prospective buyers, this debate is not just healthy but very helpful. So keep up the good work, both sides !

Just to add some fuel to the roaring fire, I found this Bonnie versus Harley comparo, on Youtube, which I think has been shared on some other thread too. Makes sense for it to be posted here.
Thats a wonderful and crisp comparison Insearch. I think I have read a text report of this comparison but, dont think have seen this video before

Thanks for sharing. It really brings out each bikes strengths and weakness clearly for an informed decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
Some humble cents from myside IMO

1.Replace the long mirrors with bit shorter ones ,personally i would get some good bar end mirrors ending up on the topside of the handle bar. The stocks get shaky after some speeds.
2.Move down the front number plate to area below the headlight and get a good short windsheild fitted which will make it look very good.
3.Horn needs to changed for sure.

Avi hope you get BONNIED soon and waiting to see an ownership review ASAP
My response to your suggestions :-

1. Thanks for bringing this up. Mirrors in particularly impressed me. I touched a max speed of 120kmph on the highway and I could still see Absynthguzzler clearly in RVM unlike the RE where objects in the mirror is a complete blur post 80kmph

2. This is a good suggestion and will eventually happen. That is a pretty odd position for the number plate. Totally agree on this point

3. Horn will also needs to be changed. Will the hugely popular Skoda Roots Horn fit it? LOL

Well, Iam in the process of acquiring the Bonny. It will happen soon. God Willing !!
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks