Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2014, 11:03   #1
Team-BHP Support

Terra Motors enters India; launches Kiwami electric superbike

Japanese electric two and three-wheeler manufacturer, Terra Motors has made an entry into the Indian 2-wheeler market with the launch of the Kiwami electric superbike.
The Kiwami, which means Ultimate in Japanese, is the first electric superbike in India. It houses a 10 kW (approximately 13.41 bhp) electric motor, which helps the bike reach a top speed of 160 kph. The Kiwami is entirely hand-built in Japan and costs Rs. 18 lakh (approximately).

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Terra Motors enters India; launches Kiwami electric superbike-a1.jpg
Terra Motors enters India; launches Kiwami electric superbike-terra1.png

Last edited by Aditya : 29th January 2014 at 11:14.
Aditya is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 11:19   #2
BHPian

Re: Terra Motors enters India; launches Kiwami electric superbike

Looks exciting and i am sure with it being electric, the torque is always there when you want it. The second thing i feel happy about is manufacturers have finally begun taking us seriously( from what i feel).

On the other hand, our road conditions and infrastructure has to match up to this influx of good performance vehicles so that people know how to use the vehicle and not end up being driven like first timers on a death wish.
Old 29th January 2014, 11:20   #3
BHPian

From the original article, since when does 13.4 BHP correspond to 1000 cc acceleration? Until the torque figures are provided this seems completely bogus.
GreaseMonk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 11:44   #4
BHPian

Firstly what is a 1000cc electric engine?

It has an impressive 200km range and a top speed in the range of 160 kmph but at 18 lakh exshowroom price, isn’t it too expensive.

Terra Motors’ plan to capture 25% share of the electric bike is too ambitious/ridiculous. At this price point consumer could get a sports bike (300cc, 390cc or 600cc) and fuel it for life and still save money.

Japanese are known for their technology, they should have invested in a low cost manufacturing plant in India and export it to other countries or even a CKD to keep the cost low.

Current market for EVs look bleak (Even Reva is facing a tough time) and the National Electric Mobility Mission Plan would bring about some relief but I believe that despite the subsidy, Kiwami would be costing around Rs 10 Lakh (considering CBU) which would still be too high.

I, for one, do not see a market for such high end electric superbikes in the near future.

Hope their other models are priced competitively and their replacement batteries do not cost a bomb.
katchkamalesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 19:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Look Ma! An electric Pulsar!!!!!

And only 18 lac. Can I have one please

NOT!

Edit - How is a 13 + something BHP a "Superbike"?

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 29th January 2014 at 19:42.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 20:05   #6
BHPian

The looks are sporty and has a good range. Still, I don't see this bike anymore than novelty for super rich. The price is too high for mass market.

I could buy a KTM or a fat cruiser for that money with a lot more bragging rights

Frankly, its only the cost factor. Batteries are the most expensive component in all, taking away almost 60% of the overall costs. If that comes down we have a winner in electric mobility.

Noise and vibration free acceleration has hits kicks.
HillMan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 20:26   #7
BHPian

If they expect me to spend 18 lakhs on THIS then forget it. I need to be Captain Planet or Medha Patkar to spend this much money on an electric bike which does a blitzing 160 kmph !

Ok enough sarcasm. On a serious note do they actually expect the current Indian market to fall for this product with these specs at this price? There is almost no infra to support EVs in India on the road. It doesnt look too pleasing either.

Would love to meet and salute their product and strategy managers. Ok here I go with the sarcasm again.
narula123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 23:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

I am posting again but this "launch" gets my goat!!!!!!

Its like a big step back in the developments the motorcycle scene has been seeing since the last couple or so years. KTM comes in (with Bajaj) & gives us the superb 390; priced at a mouthwatering 2 lacs. Kawasaki just announced the pricing of Z800; a proper monstrous inline 4 @ a wonderful 8 Lacs. Harleys are potato-ing in with their (relatively) cost effective propositions (750, 500) as well. Even RE did a fair pricing on the recenty launched cafe racer.

And then this comes in @ 18 lac? Of course they know it wont sell in India. Some corporate fella came up with this brilliant idea to showcase a statistic in their annual report - i.e. "No. of countries Terra has a presence in". Where is this statistic matter; you ask? In brouchures distributed in countries where they are (deadly) serious of selling their bikes & to the rotting old board members of the company.

Terra Motors - Now in India too. WOOP DEE FREAKIN DOOOOO
Urban_Nomad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 15:16   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just wondering what kind of a company launches a bike without a dealership....or a phone number

Don't miss the spelling of "Accererlation" and "antorepurenar" (entrepreneur) on their website.

As things stand, wouldn't advise any BHPian to go anywhere near this bike. Good thing it's priced at 18 lakhs. No one ever will.

Terra Motors enters India; launches Kiwami electric superbike-terra.jpg
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 15:27   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Just wondering what kind of a company launches a bike without a dealership....or a phone number
I think this is a unique case. Perhaps first in the worldwide history of automotive. This is a clear reflection of the troubles that will come with this bike. Forget company support and escalations.

I think very rarely we will find a person who would spend 18 lakhs and take a chance.

Quote:
wouldn't advise any BHPian to go anywhere near this bike.
Interesting, The company stands by and endorses your statement GTO, even if I want to go and have a look, the company has no dealers.
mints21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 22:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just wondering what kind of a company launches a bike without a dealership....or a phone number.

Don't miss the spelling of "Accererlation" and "antorepurenar" (entrepreneur) on their website.
Hi GTO sir, I believe the price tag on this bike will not get them any dealers because there are many more reliable 2-wheeler brands existing in India which enjoy the trust of the Indian customers. Hence they are probably not very keen on developing a good infrastructure i.e a proper website and communication network in order to establish their brand in India. However as they have managed to enter the Indian market it will be interesting to see how far will they survive against the tough competition with other brands present here.

Thanks

AD
ad3952n is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 00:49   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

As things stand, wouldn't advise any BHPian to go anywhere near this bike. Good thing it's priced at 18 lakhs. No one ever will.
Still there are few fools in our country who would rather buy this so called SBK.
Old 31st January 2014, 07:21   #13
BHPian

Quote:
the price tag on this bike will not get them any dealers
I think here the dealers will score over the manufacturers. Seeing this kind of a price with absolutely zero market potential no one will enter this risky business. Who would set up this kind of infrastructure to support the sales and service on a newly launched electric bike. Moreover, India is not a mature market for such vehicles. We still believe in the running of vehicles using already available conventional fuel.

Quote:
how far will they survive against the tough competition with other brands present here.
When we talk of competition, we should take into account all the similar kind of bikes available in the market. In this case there is no competition to this bike as it is only one of its kind in this segment.

Quote:
few fools in our country
Let's not use such words. Every individual has likings and disliking. After all, it is their money and their choice. We must respect their choice, in a forum we can advise them but can't judge them this way.

Last edited by mints21 : 31st January 2014 at 07:50.
mints21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 11:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogisays0909 View Post
Still there are few fools in our country who would rather buy this so called SBK.
Mate, As an individual you are free to put forward your point of view but being a dignified member of this respectable forum we should refrain from classifying the customers with derogatory language because every person has a different definition of taste. Having said this; I firmly believe that any particular car or bike may not be pleasing to everyone. GTO sir, myself and all other members have given their individual views on the subject thread but we all know that final call shall be taken by the customer only. We may have criticized this bike under many heads but we also know that there are some people for whom their passion means much more to them than the resources required to fulfill it. Hence, classifying them as "FOOLS" is like insulting their passion because being unbiased and offending someone are 2 different things.

Eg: There are customers who buy high-end cars by spending crores in India inspite of the fact that those cars are not fuel efficient and have high depreciation but my friend passion probably knows no boundaries.

Thanks

AD

Last edited by ad3952n : 31st January 2014 at 11:33. Reason: spell check
ad3952n is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2015, 12:32   #15
Team-BHP Support

Terra Motors to invest Rs. 31 crore in new Haryana plant

Japanese electric two and three-wheeler manufacturer, Terra Motors is building a new factory in the state of Haryana with an investment of $ 5 million (Rs. 31 crore). The factory is expected to roll out e-rickshaws.

Terra Motors plans to launch the R6 r-rickshaw in India next month. The vehicle has received certification to ply the vehicle on the roads from the Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI). The company is targeting a market share of 30% in the e-rickshaw segment in the first year.

Name:  Terra1.png
Views: 1957
Size:  456.8 KB

The R6 comes with a 48V 100Ah lead acid battery. It has a range of 100 km on a full charge and a maximum speed of 30 kph. Its battery can be fully recharged in 7 hours.

Name:  Terra2.png
Views: 1822
Size:  491.4 KB

The vehicle can carry 1 driver and 6 passengers and measures 2,950 mm in length, 1,090 mm in width, and 1,800 mm in height. Its chassis weighs 278 kg. The R6 has a turning circle of 3.2 metres and a reverse running function. It also has a rain cover which can be pulled down. Terra Motors is yet to finalise the price of the vehicle. It is likelyto be in the region of Rs. 1 lakh.

The new factory will have the capacity to produce 30,000 vehicles in the first year.

Source: ET Auto

Most Viewed