Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2014, 08:17   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Triumph Bonneville : 1st Service ( 907kms)

Triumph Bonneville ( 1st Service) : 907kms

Me and Bonnie T100 owner left our bikes after our ride with dealership for the first service and their service head asked if we want it on Sunday ( if yes, we will come and work only for your bike). I told him, iam not in such a blazing hurry so Monday evening is fine. Same for the T100 owner

My simple instructions were :-

Check rear brakes as it makes a small sqeal sound when pressed hard. He promised to open brake pads, clean them and install it back

Recieved a text message on Monday afternoon that bike was ready along with its cost but, i couldnt go before 8pm to pick up the bike

Mine and T100 was kept outside showroom, ready to ride out when we reached at 8pm

T100 guy paid cash, I offered my card and they returned in a few minutes saying there machine is not working. Service Head told me, No problem Sir, pay the money whenever your passing by the showroom (its 7kms away from home).

Now that road is not my regular frequented one so I have to make a visit to make the payment which I will probably do over the weekend. Sweet guys !!

1st Service Total Cost : Rs. 6325

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img20140309wa013.jpg

Fully Synthetic Oil Used. There was still 200ml left and was returned by dealership

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img20140309wa006.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_20140312_073842.jpg

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_20140312_073748.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 12th March 2014 at 08:22.
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 08:30   #137
Senior - BHPian

Re: Triumph Bonneville : 1st Service ( 907kms)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
1st Service Total Cost : Rs. 6325
That is quite expensive, Avi. Seems like the major chunk has gone into labor costs itself and this is quite steep considering that changing the oil and oil filter is nothing major.

I wonder how much it would cost for a 20k or a 30k service when valves need adjustments or injectors need synchronization. Reason I'm wondering all this is that, if all goes well, I might pick up a bike (not decided yet between the bonny and the ST) sometime later this year or early next year.

I remember paying a little over 5k towards labor at the 30k service interval for my Ninja. I'm thinking how much it would translate to with the Triumph at this milestone

P.S. Are you considering filling a better brand/quality of engine oil than what is in the bike now?

Last edited by n_aditya : 12th March 2014 at 08:32.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 09:06   #138
Senior - BHPian

re: Triumph Bonneville: My "Black Bruiser" gets ARROW'ed !!!

1800 labour charges is way too high. It is not a bike to own for the faint hearted, who love low maintenance.

Looking at stauts check ' Locked status of ECM in the scan report ' , I must say the diagnostic tool is pretty hi-tech.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 12:22   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
That is quite expensive, Avi. Seems like the major chunk has gone into labor costs itself and this is quite steep considering that changing the oil and oil filter is nothing major.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
1800 labour charges is way too high. It is not a bike to own for the faint hearted, who love low maintenance.
When I bought the bike, i had already mentally prepared for these costs and I dont think the service cost is expensive considering the service internals

Let me give you an example :-

Classic 500
Service Intervals every 2000kms : Rs.1600. 10,000kms Cost : Rs.8000

Triumph Bonneville
Service Intervals every 10,000kms : Rs. 6000

Now which bike is cheaper to maintain?.....6000 bucks every year for maintenance is cheap guys...think in that way assuming you will not ride for more than 10,000kms in a year. Some folks ride for 2000kms for 6 months and some folks even for 3 years.

Coming to the labour cost, I agree its expensive but, Iam assuming they charge those high rates for use of those fancy diagonistic machines. Every business has to recover costs, dont you think?

Quote:
I remember paying a little over 5k towards labor at the 30k service interval for my Ninja. I'm thinking how much it would translate to with the Triumph at this milestone
Can you highlight your Ninja's service intervals and approximate cost of each service?

Quote:
P.S. Are you considering filling a better brand/quality of engine oil than what is in the bike now?
Dealership confirmed this is Triumph recommended and good for the bike. Maybe I will explore for better oil in my 2nd or 3rd service

Last edited by mobike008 : 12th March 2014 at 12:24.
Old 12th March 2014, 12:38   #140
BHPian

Hey avi,

The labor price they charged you is pretty similar to what Yamaha here in hyderabad charge for my fz1.

Infact the service bill is almost similar,except that filters are little more costlier than that of bonnie and i use motul 300v full-synth which is expensive than the castrol and my service interval is around 6k kms.

Regarding the ninja 250 service,it is cheaper because

1. It consumes 2L of engine less than bonnie

2. Labor charge is significantly cheaper(couldnt recall the exact amount)

I used to get the service done for every 5k kms on my ninja

Regards,
Harsha
harsha.muvva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 13:23   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you highlight your Ninja's service intervals and approximate cost of each service?
Detailed costs are mentioned in my ownership thread, Avi.

I service included only oil and oil filter change so it was under 2k.

II service cost me around 6.5k and III service including labor and parts cost me a bomb - 25k including changing the chain and sprocket kit, front tire, front fork oil change, all fluids changed, radiator flushed, etc. Labor as I mentioned was a bit over 5k. IIRC, labor is charged at 560 bucks an hour and might have increased again.

Service intervals are once every 12k kms but i change oil every 5k kms. Every 12k kms, a major service is carried out, including sync'ing the injectors and throttle bodies for uniform firing of both cylinders. Oil filter costs approx. 400 bucks and the same for air filter as well. The Ninja takes in 1.6 liters of oil and I fill in Motul fully synth 20W50 oil @ 750 bucks a liter.
n_aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 08:06   #142
BHPian

Hello Phoenix,

You mentioned. " A quick noobish question. Does Bonny have this one-touch hazard - lights button too ? ( all the indicators start blinking continuosly) not sure what its technically called though? Are all superbikes automatically installed with this mechanism right out of factory or else? I have seen almost all the HDs with this . AFAIK this is to indicate that this is a high speed vehicle ?"

I'll state the following;

1. No - the Bonnie, does not have a single touch hazard lights button.

2. No - all superbikes are not installed with a hazard button.

3. My BMW R1200GS has the left and right indicators that need to be operated simultaneously to operate the hazard lights. So a hazard light, need not be one single button.

4. No - a hazard light is not used to indicate a high speed vehicle.

5. A hazard light is used to indicate to fellow road users that there is a hazard on the road, you and the other road users are approaching an hazard onthe road. Hazard lights are not during rain, fog, passing through a tunnel or such occurrences.

6. A hazard light is not be be used when a group of idiots want to ride in formation, slower than the speed of other road users, for the sole intention of attracting attention, posing and being a general bane on civil society and taxing your intelligence - sometimes, both at the same time!

Hope this answers your query.

Regards,

BB
Britishbangers is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 09:11   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Triumph Bonneville
Service Intervals every 10,000kms : Rs. 6000
How can all services cost the same? So do you mean even at 10K and 20K kms there is nothing else to do in the bike except for oil change?

Based on your bill, the service cost for oil change alone and a scan is 6K.
Old 13th March 2014, 09:31   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishbangers View Post
I'll state the following;

1. No - the Bonnie, does not have a single touch hazard lights button.

2. No - all superbikes are not installed with a hazard button.

3. My BMW R1200GS has the left and right indicators that need to be operated simultaneously to operate the hazard lights. So a hazard light, need not be one single button.

4. No - a hazard light is not used to indicate a high speed vehicle.

5. A hazard light is used to indicate to fellow road users that there is a hazard on the road, you and the other road users are approaching an hazard onthe road. Hazard lights are not during rain, fog, passing through a tunnel or such occurrences.

6. A hazard light is not be be used when a group of idiots want to ride in formation, slower than the speed of other road users, for the sole intention of attracting attention, posing and being a general bane on civil society and taxing your intelligence - sometimes, both at the same time!
Joji,

Thanks for taking time out to answer this

But you forgot to mention one in correct usage of hazard light which is very common in India

Hazard Light mode is not to be used as indicator for going straight at a road junction

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 14:43   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
How can all services cost the same? So do you mean even at 10K and 20K kms there is nothing else to do in the bike except for oil change?
Here is the service schedule of the Bonnie

As you can see nothing major change to service schedule except an addition of replacing the spark plugs at 20,000kms interval. So as per my analogy of previous post, maintaining the Triumph is no different than any other normal bike and costs seem comparable or lesser than my bullet

Hence, my assumption the service cost should not vary so much

Besides the point, owners like Ram has been doing DIY maintainance ever since he got the Bonnie in Dubai and his bike has crossed 20K kms already.

Can I request Ram to highlight total cost he incurred till now?
Attached Thumbnails
My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-bonnieville-service-schedule.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 15:37   #146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Here is the service schedule of the Bonnie

As you can see nothing major change to service schedule except an addition of replacing the spark plugs at 20,000kms interval. So as per my analogy of previous post, maintaining the Triumph is no different than any other normal bike and costs seem comparable or lesser than my bullet

Hence, my assumption the service cost should not vary so much
Yes but no normal bike has a 1st service bill of 6K and labour of 2.3K.

Your 10K kms service should be similar but the 20K kms service that involves spark plugs change, fuel filter change, valve clearances and air cleaner replacement will be more for sure. Definitely not 6K.
Old 13th March 2014, 15:53   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Yes but no normal bike has a 1st service bill of 6K and labour of 2.3K
I normally go by the overall cost of maintenance of a vehicle either by year or by kms and not the cost of a specific component.

End of the day, whats the hit to pocket is what iam bothered about

Hence, 6K aint a bad deal considering I wont be spending another dime for 9000kms on maintenance

Btw, checked the pricing of accessories and that truly made me sad.

1. Center Stand : Rs.12,000

2. Bar-End Mirrors : Rs.5,333

3. Engine Mount Gaurd/Plate : Rs. 5,333

4. Arrow 2x2 Exhausts : Rs.54,000 ( you got to be kidding me )...because the entire pipes from bend pipe to end can has to be replaced

Only a bank heist can finance accessories that are priced so exorbitantly

Btw, I had a chat with a Bangalore Bonnie owner and he installed a "High Flow Silencer" from Triumph and he and everyone who heard it are recommending them over Arrows and apparently cost half its price too. Sweet sound it seems !!

Can someone share inputs on what exactly is an high flow silencer? Is it just an end-can?
Old 13th March 2014, 20:00   #148
Senior - BHPian

Hi mobike008,

Although yes,the first cost is a bit on the higher side,i would say money incurred in quality service work is worth it.Especially when one can spend twice as much buying a few accessories.

In the Ninja thread you talked about replacing your tyres.Why so? Not happy with the Metzelers?
Old 14th March 2014, 08:37   #149
DipantS

Re: Triumph Bonneville : 1st Service ( 907kms)

Do you feel any difference after changing the oil? Has it smoothen up??

Old 14th March 2014, 11:06   #150
Senior - BHPian

Avi it was great meeting you in Hyderabad bro. Pity you did not come on your bruiser though. Would have loved to see it (and maybe take one of the pretty delegates out for a spin on it as well ......). Thanks for taking the time out to meet up. Look forward to catching up soon at leisure, and on bikes and in gear, rather than naukri formals.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks