Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2014, 21:51   #631
BANNED

re: Triumph Bonneville: My "Black Bruiser" gets ARROW'ed !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashreddy View Post
.. Repenting selling the FZ1 nd repenting buying the IRON.. Dont want to repent again.. Though my mind is more or less made up on the Bonnie
All the best
Hey . Whats the real problem with the IRON that has made you repent. I thought it was a nice buy but din't get around to execution.

Are you planning to sell ?

Let me know.
Old 29th August 2014, 09:47   #632
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
Hey . Whats the real problem with the IRON that has made you repent. I thought it was a nice buy but din't get around to execution.
While as a owner, I will let Rash throw more light as to what he felt was the issue with an IRON. Here is a thread where a lot has been already discussed with Rash giving his inputs as well.

If you havent read it already, you might want to...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...eville-23.html
Old 29th August 2014, 12:57   #633
Distinguished - BHPian

Wish you all a Happy Ganesh Chaturthi !!!

What better day than this auspicious day to share the newest addition to the Black Bruiser which happened early this week. BB has now become a real nasty thing on 2-wheels and decided it doesnt like to remain silent anymore. It likes to rasp, growl, pop, crackle and make all kind of sounds at people

Black Bruiser gets ARROW'ed

What I like
-- Same buttery smoothness, iam thankful that it's not lost
--Power and torque improvement for about 5-6BHP
--44% weight savings from stock pipes
--Amazing tonal improvement with a raspy note
--Superb fit and finished pipes made from stainless steel and not titanium
unlike stock pipes
--Laser etched "Triumph" logo

What I don't
--Bike feels faster than actual speed
--Unwanted attention (can't really say that i don't like it)
--Finally, price is simply abnoxious

When I installed the Arrows; took a couple of rides with Baffles on and they sounded little louder than stock engine note but, with a distinct deep rumble to it which sounded really delicious.

Then switched to a test ride after removing the baffles out which was astonishingly a simple 2-mins job and thankfully the Arrow map loaded in the ECU has no impact whatsoever with baffles in or out.

Test ride with baffles out was simply a manic experience. So loud it can rouse the entire neighbourhood.Decided to keep it this way for sometime and decide in due course of time what I would finally prefer

Rode the bike roughly for about 100kms with baffles removed and here is a preliminary feedback and hopefully, will learn more about these pipes as I ride more with them

Thumb the starter button; god save anyone who is standing right behind the pipes. They will squeal in surprise (exact same reaction from my little nieces) and stepped back alarmingly as not just the sound even the air-push back is quite a bit. When bike starts its really loud, tried a few times to start the bike with tone at lower decibal level with throttle almost down. It just doesn't happen. Maybe thats how its designed. I loved it !!

After it starts up, engine settles down to an idle and keeps gurgling like a coyote ready to leap on its prey. It's raspy engine note also reminds me of a dog that is perenially angry and in growling mode. Once you slot the gear and take the bike out at a neutral throttle level, sound is relatively low but, makes you acutely aware of a deep grumble somewhere deep down inside.

First and immediate feel ; bike is much much lighter than when on stock pipes, weight reduction is glaringly evident and with lightest hint of throttle, it just lunges forward and even does wheelies in lower gears with some decent throttle input.

Iam given to understand the stock pipes weight as much as 25kgs and Arrow pipes reduces this weight by 44% of almost 11kgs to about 14kgs and brings the weight down from 225kgs to ~ 214kgs. These pipe weight figures are all read/discussed somewhere that I dont recall now but, 44% weight reduction of pipes from stock ones is quoted by Arrow so that's a fact

There is a huge improvement in power, torque and bike pulls much cleaner in all gears and overall now the Bonnie feels even more nimble. However, the downside is that I felt as If iam going at supersonic speeds when the speedo shows only 120kmph. I think could be because was used to riding at way higher speeds with almost zero sound and now suddenly with so much sound its a stark realization of the actual speeds we are doing. Not really sure how to describe this feeling but, will add more when I take the bike on a highway to test it's real potential

And, the most rewarding part of Arrows experience is a symphony of popping, crackling sounds coupled with some gutural rasps in between upon engine brakingthat you hear the moment you get the throttle down and that wonderful mechanical resonance astonishes people on the road and many even got taken aback as i approach a signal and hard brake and slow down with bunch of pops and crackles.

Heck, Bonny really does sound wonderful with those pipes on. I reckon loud pipes are something that takes some getting used to and also its my feeling (could be wrong) that they will be perfect for shorter rides (200-300kms types) but, iam not really sure if i can ride with them for longer rides (who knows I may change this opinion after clocking more miles in a "Baffles Off" mode) anyways, I have the baffles to fall back on if I wish to change my avatar from a rebel to a peace-lover

Cheers and Ride Safe !!!
Attached Thumbnails
My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc0934.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc0901001.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc0898001.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc0904.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc0907001.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc0913001.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc0916.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc0952002.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc0892002.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-_dsc0929002.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 15:37   #634
Senior - BHPian

re: Triumph Bonneville Discussion Thread: My "Black Bruiser" is SOLD :( !!!

hahaha well said Mobike, its like the Tom and Jerry cartoons after Jerry takes a swig of the invincible potion . The sound without baffles is mad. I now never call my neighbor in his cell, whenever i need to meet him i just hear the sound of him coming out of the basement and casually stroll outside to catch him outside the house . But it does get LOUD on longer rides and can be even more painful if you are stuck behind one for a while.
Enjoy the power man.
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 16:32   #635
BHPian

Is it my imagination or the bend pipes are of some yellowish tinge?
Some more photos will be appreciated, if you please.
Let it be known that I am also cogitating on the same issue!
Old 29th August 2014, 18:14   #636
Team-BHP Support

How about some audio clips ?
Old 29th August 2014, 22:23   #637
BHPian

Congrats on the upgrade. I am myself contemplating the hi flow silencers. There has been a unanimous feedback from owners on the sound being excellent - not too loud nor too low as the stock ones. however there seems to be a mixed opinion from them when it comes to performance increase, some claiming no performance increase while some claiming substantial increase in low end torque. Arrows however undoubtedly have the reputation of raising the power upto 7BHP.
What Triumph dealers should be doing is announcing demos of bikes fitted with these exhaust types to let the customers get a feel of what to expect.
argchoff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 09:21   #638
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
Is it my imagination or the bend pipes are of some yellowish tinge?
Bend pipes are slightly yellower than the light golden hue of the entire silencer from Arrows. Will post more pictures whenever I get a chance next

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
How about some audio clips ?
Sure. Will share a few audio and video clips soon. Finally we got the monsoons here in Hyderabad and its been pouring continously from couple of days and we were so much starved for rains that I dont mind missing riding for sometime and enjoy the rains which is what iam currently doing

Infact, Rebel Dealership has captured an entire video of pipes transplant and they were shocked to realize later that 1 hour video is 3GB and will be given to me via. CD.

So you can also expect a video of how the pipes were replaced as well ( maybe in next 1-2 weeks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by argchoff View Post
I am myself contemplating the hi flow silencers. There has been a unanimous feedback from owners on the sound being excellent - not too loud nor too low as the stock ones. however there seems to be a mixed opinion from them when it comes to performance increase, some claiming no performance increase while some claiming substantial increase in low end torque. Arrows however undoubtedly have the reputation of raising the power upto 7BHP.
Please be careful before upgrading to HFS as the T100 owner (in pics) is unhappy with his HFS as sound has reduced considerbly from how they sounded when installed. Those pipes are now heardly audible

Dealership has suggested some jugaad method (costing 3K) to get the audio up. I didnt pay attention to what he was saying but, point remains he's not too pleased

Quote:
Originally Posted by argchoff View Post
What Triumph dealers should be doing is announcing demos of bikes fitted with these exhaust types to let the customers get a feel of what to expect.
I think Hyderabad dealership has distinction being only dealership in country who

1. Offer rides of each and every Triumph bike
2. Have a demo bike of Arrow Bonnie and HFS Bonnie ( apart from stock one)

Btw, I rode the Hi Flow Silencers of T100 and Bonnie SE. Bonnie SE HFS sound way more bassy and louder too ( but, not sure if it's sound will also reduce in future like the T100 issue that I outlined above)
Old 30th August 2014, 11:03   #639
DipantS

Good Job Avi with the arrows and awesome write up as usual. Are these not slip on's?? And, how much did they cost?

Old 30th August 2014, 11:54   #640
Senior - BHPian

Very unfair of you
Hope you had a ride today and had taken a video. Do try to get a pillion take the video as I had for T100.

I have seen brand new Bonnies ( in pix) with Arrows. I presume this wont hamper warranty since the dealer fits it and that remap comes as a default to do mod?
Old 30th August 2014, 12:23   #641
Distinguished - BHPian

Dipant, its a full 2:2 Exhaust system and not a slip-on.

Hi-Flow Silencers are the slip on version

JK, monsoons have just started here and as you can make out from pics in Arrow report, rode yesterday morning with Mani even though it was drizzling

Didn't get an opportunity to record a good video of the exhaust note.

It will happen whenever I get a dry day and some leisure time
Old 31st August 2014, 10:55   #642
BHPian

wow, the arrows look simply beautiful, congrats Avi on the first modification to your BB. Eagerly waiting for the video and exhaust note audio.

On an unrelated note, went to Shaman Triumph here in Mumbai yesterday, called them up before going and asked for test ride of the bonnie. I was told to bring my helmet along, I said dont worry, I would bring my riding gear too.
When I reached there all decked up, excited.. I was told the bike is not available and somehow the guy on the phone didnt know about it.
Shocked and utterly disappointed by the way they work, I mean I rode almost 40kms to get to the showroom just to be told off.
I told them they should learn something from Bangalore and Hyderabad.
Sorry Avi, for going off-topic here but didnt know where to vent it out.
Cheers!
schitre05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2014, 11:35   #643
Senior - BHPian

It will happen whenever I get a dry day and some leisure time

Hi Avi, super news of the Arrows on the BB! Eager to see and hear them in person soon!

Happy riding!
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2014, 11:44   #644
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Dipant, its a full 2:2 Exhaust system and not a slip-on.

Didn't get an opportunity to record a good video of the exhaust note.
Congrats Avi on the Arrows for the Black Bruiser!

Looks cool and can you post a picture of the bike from side (full view)?

Happy riding buddy.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2014, 21:27   #645
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I have seen brand new Bonnies ( in pix) with Arrows. I presume this wont hamper warranty since the dealer fits it and that remap comes as a default to do mod?
I too have seen many guys opting for Arrows 2:2 or 2:1 and even HFS right at time of delivery. My personal feeling is that's not the right way to enjoy the bike.

Bonnie in stock mode is simply so exhilirating that it's beyond description.

You would not beileve it that I have so reluctantly opted for Arrows that Iam still not able to digest the fact of now being Arrow'ed

Not that Iam complaining but, Bonnie is truly fun even on stock pipes and I have atleast enjoyed it for 6000kms before taking the plunge unlike folks who go for Arrows straight off the block

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi Avi, super news of the Arrows on the BB! Eager to see and hear them in person soon!Happy riding!
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Congrats Avi on the Arrows for the Black Bruiser!Looks cool and can you post a picture of the bike from side (full view)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
wow, the arrows look simply beautiful, congrats Avi on the first modification to your BB. Eagerly waiting for the video and exhaust note audio
Thanks guys. I will surely post a video of the soundtrack whenever I get a chance. As mentioned before, its raining cats & dogs out here and for a change iam enjoying my white annihilator which was neglected ever since black bruiser came into my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
When I reached there all decked up, excited.. I was told the bike is not available and somehow the guy on the phone didnt know about it.Shocked and utterly disappointed by the way they work, I mean I rode almost 40kms to get to the showroom just to be told off.
I told them they should learn something from Bangalore and Hyderabad.
Sorry Avi, for going off-topic here but didnt know where to vent it out.
Cheers!
Glad you shared the incident Schitre05, it's very much related.

That's an unfortunate state of events. Triumph and their dealers should clean up their act and start treating customers as kings if they really want to remain competetive. I have been reading such stores from Bangalore, Cochin and now Mumbai and Iam thankful that Hyderabad is simply different from rest of the dealership in India.

I had a simply wonderful experience and even if i visit the dealership for something minor or just stop when iam passing by, i end up riding a few Triumph models as sales folks are so insistent and love making us enjoy the experience

One of the sales guy (wont quote his name) mentioned this " Sir, there is no point showing any brochure/litrerature to our customers or tell them how good our bikes are. We use our best weapon in our armoury, which is just give them a test ride of which ever bike they want without too many restrictions and that is our best USP"...That's what I would call customer service

They give test rides of all bikes (as far as I know) except the Tiger Explorer 1200 and Rocket III ( I think they wont cringe giving test rides of these bikes too if they are available) and they have readily available test ride bikes of Bonnie SE, Bonnie T100, Street Tripple, Speed Tripple, Daytona, Storm. Most of which are arrowed and Stock Bonnie's also available for a TR. Besides this the Service head owns a Bonnie SE and keeps experimenting with his bike (latest being installing Thruxton pipes on his Bonnie SE) and offers his bike as test ride for whichever customer walks in. Can you beat that?

Totally unrelated input : Dealership owners were casually commenting the difference between a Street Tripple and Speed Tripple is exactly like Bonnie SE and Bonnie T100. Speed isn't as nimble as the Street and doesnt like changing directions too fast but, is very fast in straight line which is not surprising as it's a litre bike.

Would love to see an actual ownership report of Speed here to confirm this input.

Last edited by mobike008 : 31st August 2014 at 21:53. Reason: typos corrected

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks