Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2014, 15:58   #706
Senior - BHPian

re: Triumph Bonneville Discussion Thread: My "Black Bruiser" is SOLD :( !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
Is there a reasonable probability that you will get into trouble with all that power? Very much so.
That is quite a bold statement ranjit. There is also reasonable probability that you can get into trouble with just 50cc under your legs as well. I also think life gets a bit complicated if one puts "probability" before every step one takes. "Will I fall every time I ride this bike?" Not much gets done with that mentality.

What would you call an intermediate step between a Royal Enfield 500cc bike and a litre class bike like say a Fat Bob or Indian Scout?
Fullrevs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 18:24   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post

This article is a fascinating read
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neglect_of_probability

Especially this bit at the end:
"Probability is more likely to be neglected when the outcomes are emotion arousing"

And emotions are what buying a motorcycle is all about.
Wow they have a term for that , sums up my recent duke 390 booking - I know I am purchasing something that is a probable maintenance and maybe safety nightmare , I know I am purchasing a bike capable of power and more importantly the manner(low rpm powerband more practical than high rpm bands ) in which it delivers it which I have no need for - still I disregard all those and go ahead with my purchase

As for the newbie argument - I am the very definition of a newbie , 24 years old , purchased my first motorcycle and that too an enfield(86 cast iron model ) only last year . KTM 390 is the highest I find safe right now , the ABS being a very important factor as I am a complete newb with disc brakes .

In my opinion as a newbie , the critical factors that I might analyse when purchasing a bike are - comfort ( you can't concentrate if you are not comfortable which is the complete sum of rider triangle and seat height - sportsbike are not , standards like enfield or bonnie are ) , braking and weight . As a rider I also feel a certain level of physical fitness is required , I started thinking about a powerful upgrade back in march and started preparing myself for the same by getting fitter . Also cultivating safe habits right from the start go a long way , our roads have enough hooligans without the need for another one (which brings me back to the question I ask myself - why did I book the 390 !!! )
basuroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 15:23   #708
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday, after a late night city ride of about 49kms, I was finally able to calculate FE of first proper full tankful-to-tankful re-fill

I was able to go 209kms which included about 160kms of Vikarabad ride and about 45kms of city ride and tank took in 12Litres exactly

209kms/12 Litres = 17.41 KMPL

Iam very pleased with this result as this included a hearty amount of revving to enjoy the music of Arrows

Iam guessing Arrows has reduced the FE very marginally. Maybe by 1-2kmpl at the most

P.S: Iam slowly getting used to Arrows and I just cannot describe the joy of that sound. Bonnie is now simply too much fun and a total riot of the best kind
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 15:43   #709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post

As for the newbie argument - I am the very definition of a newbie , 24 years old , purchased my first motorcycle and that too an enfield(86 cast iron model ) only last year . KTM 390 is the highest I find safe right now , the ABS being a very important factor as I am a complete newb with disc brakes .

why did I book the 390 !!! )
Basu - So you gave up on the Harley idea is it? Sorry I may have missed out on your updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

209kms/12 Litres = 17.41 KMPL
Avi sir,

17+/- seems pretty decent after the mods. Was it in the range of 20+ before the mod?

I was getting around 23-25 on stock. and it dropped to 19-22 after Stage 1.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 15:58   #710
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Basu - So you gave up on the Harley idea is it? Sorry I may have missed out on your updates.
Oh! Basu's story has been most interesting on forum. I never saw someone spend so much time on selecting a motorcycle, spend so much time in debates/discussion and then do something completely opposite after the amount of time spent on research and study. Impromptu act seems to have been a winner in his case

Hence, I always advise people to just go with impromptu manner (heart attached to it though) right in the beginning and save lot of grief of research and such

Quote:
Avi sir,17+/- seems pretty decent after the mods. Was it in the range of 20+ before the mod?I was getting around 23-25 on stock. and it dropped to 19-22 after Stage 1
Please call me Avi or Avinash, And, i have never taught anyone anything in life so i dont serve that title

Prior to installing Arrows, City FE was 18kmpl and Highway FE was 22-23kmpl
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 16:03   #711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh! Basu's story has been most interesting on forum. I never saw someone spend so much time on selecting a motorcycle, spend so much time in debates/discussion and then do something completely opposite after the amount of time spent on research and study. Impromptu act seems to have been a winner in his case

Hence, I always advise people to just go with impromptu manner (heart attached to it though) right in the beginning and save lot of grief of research and such

Please call me Avi or Avinash, And, i have never taught anyone anything in life so i dont serve that title

Gosh! I am completely opposite of Mr. Basu (no offense intended) - I was waiting for Triumph. One fateful (fortunate) day - I walk into the Harley showroom - test ride the Iron - plonk 50 k - walk out zapped!

Avi - You deserve the "sir" title - You enlighten us with your experience on your Bonnie. I love reading your updates. - Plus you sure would've taught something or the other to anyone like, kid/wife/gf/brother/sister/friends etc (Again - No offense meant, Avi)
Shubz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 16:20   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Yes dropped it and my decision making so far has been weird in a way because I never had multiple targets - It was 750's price that initially attracted me but after seeing it in person way back in march , it was a kind of underwhelming experience due to both the fit and finish and the classics standing next to it , nearest showroom being in delhi was a hindrance too . By june , my mind was off the bike and I was content with my enfield .
Mid july , I find out a new KTM showroom has opened here in bareilly and pay a cursory visit one day . While I am averse to sportsbike due to both nature of power delivery and the agrressive riding stance , I was pleasantly surprised by the upright posture of duke . Took a couple of test rides since then and finally booked it this monday - the presence of ABS influenced my decision heavily because I am a disc brake newb in panic situations .

Quote:

l
People who know me here are also surprised I booked a sportsbike and a flashy one at that (those orange alloys are a tad over the top ) , everyone is of the opinion I should have purchased an enfield and I may have done if I didn't already own one ( though it is a cast iron engine ).

Quote:
Gosh! I am completely opposite of Mr. Basu (no offense intended) - I was waiting for Triumph. One fateful (fortunate) day - I walk into the Harley showroom - test ride the Iron - plonk 50 k - walk out zapped!
Hey I am younger than all you guys , call me Basu

Even I was waiting for triumph , somehow I had got the idea bonnie will be around 4 lakh but turned out 2.5L costlier .
Old 12th September 2014, 14:34   #713
BHPian

Quote:
I was getting around 23-25 on stock. and it dropped to 19-22 after Stage 1.
Thats still very good Shubz.. My Iron never gave more than 12 -13 in Bangalore traffic and 17-18 on the highway and mine was totally stock condition.

But mine was a 2013 model. Makes me wonder if they have they changed anything in the 14 models or I was one of those unfortunate ones?

Quote:

Please call me Avi or Avinash, And, I have never taught anyone anything in life so i dont serve that title

I am also in that bracket now Avi. Doing so much research but don't know what impromptu decision my heart will make finally

And 18kmpl is a super figure for the power on offer.. What else needed in life? Even my Thunderbird 500 doesnt return more than 22-25kmpl
Old 12th September 2014, 17:20   #714
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashreddy View Post
Thats still very good Shubz.. My Iron never gave more than 12 -13 in Bangalore traffic and 17-18 on the highway and mine was totally stock condition.But mine was a 2013 model. Makes me wonder if they have they changed anything in the 14 models or I was one of those unfortunate ones?
Thats interesting information. What could have changed so drastically from 2013 to 2014 model to improve the mileage to that extent?

Waiting to hear back views from Shubz

But, 12-13kmpl is really pathetic. But, Iam assuming you have a itchy right wrist

Quote:
I am also in that bracket now Avi. Doing so much research but don't know what impromptu decision my heart will make finally
Did you test ride the Bonnie yet? If yes, would be curious to know your feedback. If no, whats stopping you?

Quote:
And 18kmpl is a super figure for the power on offer.. What else needed in life? Even my Thunderbird 500 doesnt return more than 22-25kmpl
Oh yeah, as mentioned iam quite happy with 18kmpl and thats been consistent in the city too

Agree with you on the bullet FE as I own a Classic 500 as well and it never gives me more than 22kmpl and here my right wrist is to be blamed...LOL

Btw, not sure if you ready my bullet ownership thread :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...umps-home.html

Last edited by mobike008 : 12th September 2014 at 17:21.
Old 15th September 2014, 11:35   #715
BHPian

Quote:
But, 12-13kmpl is really pathetic. But, Iam assuming you have a itchy right wrist

Did you test ride the Bonnie yet? If yes, would be curious to know your feedback. If no, whats stopping you?

Btw, not sure if you ready my bullet ownership thread :-

Whats the use of having these bikes without an itchy right wrist Avi?
But still 12-13 is too less i felt even in the pathetic Bangalore traffic.. I remember The FZ1 even with all the mindblowing power never returned less than 15-16

When i visisted the Triumph showroom in Jan, they were still not offering test rides.. But had a good feel of the Bonnie... Will take a proper test ride one of these days and post my thoughts here for sure

Yeah did go through your Maroon Marauder thread Avi.. Pretty neat..I think Special menton needed for the innovative chrome stickering,etc on your helmet to match your bike
rashreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 14:21   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
thanks , do you have any video for stock exhausts as well
Here you go. Just uploaded this onto YouTube after having it sit on my phone for a few weeks

djpeesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 15:04   #717
Distinguished - BHPian

Like I Shubz, I too have a number craze...I try to click whatever is a fancy looking odo event ( Day before it was my Cruze touching 60,000kms...which is posted in my Cruze thread)

This morning after filling petrol ( I always set the trip meter to 0kms after each tankful) went for a short spin.

When I got home, I leaned forward to switch off the ignition, this number appeared in front of me
Attached Thumbnails
My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_20140918_082150.jpg  

Old 19th September 2014, 20:13   #718
Senior - BHPian

Avi,

Need a help.

There was a mention about a Bonneville being installed with RE Continental Café Racer's shockabsorbers.

Do you recall which thread it is, I need some clarification on the Shocks for a possible non - Bonneville application. Basically I need to know the eye to eye length of the shock.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Old 19th September 2014, 21:46   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Avi,

Need a help.

There was a mention about a Bonneville being installed with RE Continental Café Racer's shockabsorbers.

Do you recall which thread it is, I need some clarification on the Shocks for a possible non - Bonneville application. Basically I need to know the eye to eye length of the shock.

Ram

This thread itself. Post No : 678 .

Link : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...ml#post3525051
Vasuki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 07:55   #720
Distinguished - BHPian

I havent been riding much except for little bit of city riding due to work related travel.

We did a nice short ride of 150kms both ways to our favorite HillPark Drive in restuarant on Bangalore highway and this time joined by a new Triumph Explorer 1200 which looked simply gorgeous

Also met a Ninja 650 rider who was riding alone on highway and we asked him to join us and he joined us for breakfast as well and will be riding with us in future (hopefully)

This ride was the first that I did with the baffles back in and this felt much more sane and able to do some real high speeds than loud racket that Arrows normally make with baffles out making you feel as if your travelling at speed of Mangalgyan
Attached Thumbnails
My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_20140928_080201_hdr.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_20140928_080241.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_20140928_080256.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_20140928_080349.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img20140928wa031.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks