Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2014, 12:11   #856
BHPian

re: Triumph Bonneville Discussion Thread: My "Black Bruiser" is SOLD :( !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
I think it's time for another biggie before you leave. I suggest a multi-state BHP meet. What do you say Avi? I doubt if you have time for this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
This is unfair. I will miss the mother of all bike meets if this really happens

Btw, I have single handedly organized the largest multi-state Team-BHP meet way back in 2009 in Goa and BHPians from AP, KA, KL, TN and MH were present including GTO. You can search in meet threads for details and lots of pics
I know I'm a newbie, but I would really like to meet up with fellow Team Bhp memebers, and put some faces to usernames
Goa in January is sublime, with great roads and destinations short rides away, like Amboli ghats etc.
If you do decide on a meet up, could we have a poll to choose the destination?
Also, we could coordinate it around the Indian bike Week if we hold it in February instead.
Old 26th November 2014, 13:27   #857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalDrogo View Post
I know I'm a newbie, but I would really like to meet up with fellow Team Bhp memebers, and put some faces to usernames
Goa in January is sublime, with great roads and destinations short rides away, like Amboli ghats etc.
If you do decide on a meet up, could we have a poll to choose the destination?
Also, we could coordinate it around the Indian bike Week if we hold it in February instead.
India Bike Week is a mess man. Too many people, too much fuss, and when you have too many riders on the road, things tend to go out of hand. And not to mention, also makes things expensive. Apologies if I offended anyone with the that but that's what I've noticed on my rides.

January goa is excellent. I'm all in for my first long bike road trip.
djpeesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 13:56   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys for your curiosity. My decision to sell the Bonnie has absolutely nothing to do with detune issue.

Actually, Iam relocating out of the country shortly and hence, all my beloved vehicles are going on the block

Oh, its sad to see the Bonnie go Avi. Also, this was among the most lively threads for a while. Anyway its good to know (I am guessing) you are heading somewhere with much more opportunities for many rides. So I am hoping it would be an Adventure-Touring bike this time

Good wishes
Haroon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 15:13   #859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
I fully second this, though I may have to make 3,000 KM trip. Hope the convenient date would be in Jan 2015 (fresly out of holidays for 2014 :( and hence, this thought)

But will try my best

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
You are one of the guys I most want to ride with. So regardless of what happens to the germ of this idea, the next time youre down here with some time in hand lets do plan something!

OT P.S. Haven't forgotten. Will speak to the biker girls today.
Old 26th November 2014, 16:05   #860
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
If I were in Hyderabad, I'd put my dibs in for BB. I'm sure there is a long line of willing suitors who will cherish the ride as much as you did.
You can still buy it and take it to Bangalore (or, i would be happy to personally ride and deliver it to you).

I havent started advertising it as I have plenty of time. So its just word of mouth as of now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Oh, its sad to see the Bonnie go Avi. Also, this was among the most lively threads for a while. Anyway its good to know (I am guessing) you are heading somewhere with much more opportunities for many rides. So I am hoping it would be an Adventure-Touring bike this timeGood wishes
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
I guessed as much from the news trickle, but did not want to voice it until we heard from you. Let me be the first to officially wish you the best in your new adventure. I'm sure there are many interesting rides ahead.
Thank you for your kind words. Unfortunately, the place iam relocating to rains a lot and is cold so riding would be a seasonal activity

But, I plan to keep my eyes peeled out for a Tiger 800 XC/GS 1200 OR Harley Davidson Fatboy
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 13:40   #861
BHPian

Quote:
You can still buy it and take it to Bangalore (or, i would be happy to personally ride and deliver it to you).

I havent started advertising it as I have plenty of time. So its just word of mouth as of now

Thank you for your kind words. Unfortunately, the place iam relocating to rains a lot and is cold so riding would be a seasonal activity

But, I plan to keep my eyes peeled out for a Tiger 800 XC/GS 1200 OR Harley Davidson Fatboy
Hi Avi, sad stuff in discussion.
Have been following this thread for some time now. Even did two test rides of the Bonneville here at Shaman Triumph, Mumbai.

Here's what I came across:- http://www.vivekthakur.com/blogs/viv...-powered-bikes

Anyways, I am not sure how much of a dent would that make in performance; this detuning by 10ps on most bikes.
But is this for real and final? That way what final figure should we take it as?

BTW, I really enjoyed the Bonneville test rides and while the Shaman guys tried pushing me the T100, citing my height and size (6 feet, 97 kgs); I liked the confidence inspired by the Bonneville SE.
Not exactly comfortable with the idea of riding a bike with a bigger front wheel.
Only bit I didn't like was the bike felt like needing another gear. It 'felt' rather strained on 5th and while it was a plus to have that amount of torque even in 5th, it did feel strained.

Found the pricing a bit steep at 6.92 lacs in Mumbai. The only offer they had was on the Thruxton, which is available on the older price of 7 odd lacs; current is about 8.15 on road.

The test bike here had a throaty exhaust and very deep notes, the one on display (with stock pipes) sounded very timid in comparison, but maybe coz it was indoors and wasn't revved for effect. The Shaman guys told me this was an aftermarket exhaust.

More later, but basically I only had two options in mind:- the Continental GT and the Bonneville SE.
Could try doing my ride impressions, but going by what I've read:- it's all mostly covered on this thread.
mandheers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 14:12   #862
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
Anyways, I am not sure how much of a dent would that make in performance; this detuning by 10ps on most bikes.
But is this for real and final? That way what final figure should we take it as?
Yes its final. But, it should not make too much effect on the Bonnie as the output difference even after this fiasco is small (around 7bhp)

This in no way can discount what a great bike the Bonnie is

Quote:
BTW, I really enjoyed the Bonneville test rides and while the Shaman guys tried pushing me the T100, citing my height and size (6 feet, 97 kgs); I liked the confidence inspired by the Bonneville SE.Not exactly comfortable with the idea of riding a bike with a bigger front wheel.
Absolutely right. T100 cannot hold a candle in front of Bonnie SE in terms of pure handling

If you want to buy the Bonnie. I would highly recommend ONLY the Bonnie SE

Quote:
Only bit I didn't like was the bike felt like needing another gear. It 'felt' rather strained on 5th and while it was a plus to have that amount of torque even in 5th, it did feel strained.
I have mentioned this several time and every Bonnie owner feels the same that it should have had a 6th gear. But, at no times the engine feel strained and I have taken the bike to its maximum potential

Beauty of the Bonnie is you revv its away to glory, its as butter smooth in 1st gear as its in 5th gear. No vibrations across its entire rpm range (except maybe a wee bit at a very high speed)

Quote:
Found the pricing a bit steep at 6.92 lacs in Mumbai. The only offer they had was on the Thruxton, which is available on the older price of 7 odd lacs; current is about 8.15 on road.
Bonnie pricing is VFM (atleast I felt it that way) for the overall product

Quote:
The test bike here had a throaty exhaust and very deep notes, the one on display (with stock pipes) sounded very timid in comparison, but maybe coz it was indoors and wasn't revved for effect. The Shaman guys told me this was an aftermarket exhaust.
Could be the HFS pipes. They sound really sweet

Quote:
More later, but basically I only had two options in mind:- the Continental GT and the Bonneville SE.
Could try doing my ride impressions, but going by what I've read:- it's all mostly covered on this thread.
Continental GT? Come on bro, how can you even compare an RE with a Bonnie? As different as chalk vs. cheese

I would love to hear your riding impressions. Do pen a detailed one here so it can benefit more prospective Bonnie buyers !!
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2014, 15:37   #863
BHPian

Ok, so Avi asked me to pen down; pen down I did.

I have been smitten by the Bonneville since my junior college days.
Later after college, saw the inimitable Matthew Mcconaughey ride one in ‘How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days’ and that stayed with me.
Even the colour grey.

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-4311977_std.jpg

I have been following another thread of the r_nairtvm’s Grey Bonneville, all the way from Dubai; and it looks stunning even over the years.
I realized only recently that the spoked wheels were on the T100, and that was the first striking thing to set it apart.

I had been eyeing the Continental GT for a long time, the stunner it is.
But everything stops there, on its looks for me.
There is nothing beyond it really. It is to small an engine for too capable a chassis, not to mention the faux cafe racer seating.
But it ticked everything in my books, till I saw the Triumph showroom open up in Mumbai.
Mine was one of the first calls for enquiry in January, so I was told.

Well, a bit about my riding history.
Started out with a Hero Puch (yeah) back in school, graduated to a Kawasaki Bajaj 100, ’84 Bullet 350 (second hand) in college, ‘03 Bullet 500 bought brand new.
Sold the 500 in ’05 as I wasn’t riding at all, and it was turning to be really unreliable and problematic.
Upgraded to 4 wheels, and not ridden since.

Now it took me from Jan to September to get in the Triumph showroom.
Went down for a look with a colleague, was late evening so didn’t get any ride.

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_20140920_185022.jpg

The bike looked good, chunky, planted and I had a few images all mashed together in my head from yesteryears:- Yezdi, RD350, Bullet.
Why?
Well, the tires looked small on the SE, reminded me of the Yezdi.
The look the bike ‘gives’ you and the handlebars were very RD’ish. (specially the T100)
Overall the body resembled very much the Bullet.
That’s my take, so don’t go take any offence all you Bonnie lovers.

The Shaman guys insisted I should go for the ‘bigger’ T100, since I have a bigger frame etc. and ‘cruiser’ characteristics of the T100.

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_20140920_190723.jpg

But honestly, I didn't know about the size difference in tires until then; and once I realized it was a big NO.
I cannot expect the T100 with a bigger wheel upfront to be as well a handler as the SE.

So on the test ride day, I took my wife and my cheque book along.
The staff is very polite, very matter-of-fact.
They asked me to sign papers and take the bike on a long ride.
They even made point to mention that I could come back for any number of test rides.
Wife doesn't appreciate bikes, but obliged to accompany.

First impressions of the Bonneville SE:-

I liked the stance of the bike (will explain later) and the rider’s seating position.
It’s neither too committed nor too relaxed.
The foot pegs are just that slightly rear-ward set for a slight accentuated seating position.
Not too sporty, nor too casual – it’s very ‘involved’ is the word.
Like I said, I love the stance of the bike; and how the bike ‘looks’ at you, especially with the side-stand-only setup.

It’s not intimidating, not overpowering, not screaming for attention, it’s just there- assuredly; that’s what is attractive.
Something about it which says, I've got tricks up my sleeve but I’m not going to town about it; something could be arranged if you see what you like.

The fuel cap is to one side and that’s also a hint of style.
The bike is chunky, and gives mixed signals of looking heavy yet nimble.
But, it’s not big or tall or broad, but able bodied.

The engine is what gives it added character, there is just about no space, everything crammed up there.
I liked the SE without chrome on the engine area.
Also, I have been a sucker for dual exhausts, something about them that really completes a bike for me.

Ride impressions of the Bonneville SE:-

Started it up; the test bike; and it roared sweet. Very deep notes and loud at the same time.
This was not the stock exhaust I was told.
My first time in 1st gear I miscalculated the throttle and opened a bit wide.
That my friends was when I realized this steed’s got wings too.
Had to immediately control and brake hard, it stopped.
Well, we had said ‘Hello’ and at this moment suddenly there was new found respect for the bike and the realization set in that it’s a near-litre engine between my legs.

Wife on pillion; yes she obliged; I gingerly started out from Shaman.
I know the guys said assertively to take a long ride, but I was thinking maybe a short one would be enough.
Off we went into the Western Express Highway, evening traffic.

First thing I noticed was gears are smooth, accelerator was smooth, clutch was smooth, brakes were smooth:- hell everything was smooth.
And this was just distance between the showroom and getting to the WEH patch.
Second thing I realized the rear view mirrors were inadequate for rear view, but maybe I have not ridden in years and gotten used to car’s RVMs.
The handlebar seemed a tad small throughout but delivered throughout too, no issues there.
Found the disc brake apparatus and the number plate mounted up top a bit ‘off’ to my liking.
Went ahead on WEH, again gingerly, and there was a lot of rev in each gear; including 5th.
Took a U turn from Bisleri signal and came back.
Simply put, it was a breeze riding the Bonneville.
The riding experience was uneventful, involved and confidence inspiring.
There were no hiccups, no missed gears, nothing the bike returns as feedback, it just goes with the flow and with you.

I tried opening the throttle a bit after the U turn, and the Mrs went “Whoah”.
I didn't know how to take that ‘feedback’; as a reprimand or a discovery, but she clarified in a bit with “Go Easy”.
But overtaking was really blissful; and mind you the last bike I rode was a Bullet 500, so I had some muscle-memory of longer duration over-takings on 2 wheels.

Did a bit of zig-zagging in the Highway traffic to get to the Andheri flyover.
Followed suit behind a Yamaha FZ rider actually, so wouldn't boast of finding my way on 2 wheels.
But once I got to the flyover I realized- I had made it through the traffic, without a snarl or hiccup, or even stopping or setting my foot down.
That was a huge accomplishment if you ask me, and I realized I had momentarily forgot this was a Triumph Bonneville 865cc I was riding.

It’s easy yet involved, it’s fun yet simple.
The bike stayed planted, stayed the line and biggest realization it did what was expected.

The single horn had no bite so I revved a few Autorickshaws and Bikes aside, took cue from the notorious BEST drivers here.
On the 2nd U-turn from the JVLR flyover, I tried going in one smooth turn, and wished for the signal to go green just as I entered.
Well, it didn't happen, but the return from JVLR was almost negligible traffic so I opened her up gradually, so as to not get any correction from the Mrs.
And it felt like the bike got a bit more planted, yet a bit lighter with the engine’s pulling power and prowess kicking in.
It detached from every passerby and went ahead, but it was gradual and not sudden.

Again the words- not intimidating, not overpowering, not screaming for attention.

And mind you, all through traffic another realization was that this was not a head-turner; not until you revv it.
It’s like a ‘sleeper’ which; maybe I don’t have the authority to say/comment, but maybe; would give the big boys a tough time.

Came back and parked and realized my hands were a bit tired, well traffic does that and I have not ridden at all since 2005 apart from a casual ride etc on Goa trips.
That and maybe a slightly forward riding position I feel.

Will cut to the 2nd test ride.
Yes, I have done 2 so far and 4 trips in total to the Triumph showroom.

This time it was with my Dad; so you see I’ve been working on the decision makers.
I let him ride a bit, till the Airport, and he rode easy pleasy.
This time we went up to the Kalina flyover, ahead of the Airport; for a longer ride and it was afternoon, so lesser traffic.
I rode on from the Airport all the way back from under the Kalina flyover.
Similar inputs as on the first ride, no difference at all.
Just that I got a lot more speed corrections from my Father as compared to the Mrs. (also coz of lesser traffic)
Was a bit tired even after this ride; specially hands and arms, but that’s Ok I guess.
Well his verdict was:- Invest in a Bicycle, Mumbai is not for Motorcycles.

So that’s my impressions, I’m no biker so cannot talk about lean-ins, cornering abilities etc.

BTW, I loved the SE seat compared to the T100.
There was a T100 with a cafe-racer like custom seat too.

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_20140920_185141.jpg

Final words:-

The quality of everything on the bike is top notch, nothing looks or even sounds clanky, off or amiss.
For e.g. my usual grouse with the Bullet 500 was the foot pegs were always misaligned, for height; on either side.

The Bonneville SE even at 6.92 lacs is definitely steeply priced, here are my concerns, much of them have surely been addressed:-
1. no fuel cap lock (available at extra price)
2. no dual speedometer setup as in T100 (available at extra price)
3. sore looking disc brake unit on handlebar
4. registration plate mounted up-top (read there is a solution to that, replacing the rectifier and adding a bracket)
5. no main-stand as standard (but the stand itself is pretty chunky and might reduce GC)
6. better and wider handlebar on T100 (not sure if it will change riding dynamics on SE but seems more comfy)
7. the key keeps hanging precariously off the side
8. T100 has better looking exhaust pipes IMO (dunno if they sound different too, peashooters they’re called?)
9. T100 pipes also are better looking from the rear, they don’t flare outwards as much as those on SE (or at least so I felt)

This is the only bike I have ridden so far which makes you feel connected with the bike and also makes you feel you’re pretty much in control of the outcomes.
I didn’t get to ride solo, maybe that would be a good idea to try a 3rd ride.
Guess ride dynamics would also change, in solo.
Until then, the cheque book waits.

Going to the mention of Continental GT; I can never compare this and that, it’s just the two I had in my sights.
Also had eyes on the Ninja 650 but these guys have no test bikes, so no way.
mandheers is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2014, 20:36   #864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It’s not intimidating, not overpowering, not screaming for attention, it’s just there- assuredly; that’s what is attractive.
Something about it which says, I've got tricks up my sleeve but I’m not going to town about it; something could be arranged if you see what you like.
Very well said and this is why ive been eyeing the Bonnie too. Understated elegance
And your dad is right. Bombay is not for motorcycles. Its just disgusting to ride a powerful bike puttering around in 1st and 2nd gear. This one is for the hiway and ... into the great wide open.. under them skies of blue.. .. a rebel without a clue.

Im planning to book in Jan.
Did they tell you how many days they take from booking to delivery?
The price uve mentioned.. is that the OTR price ?

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 29th November 2014 at 20:40.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2014, 21:29   #865
Distinguished - BHPian

Mandheer, thanks for the detailed feedback. It matches what I feel too almost to the point

Ever since I bought the Bonnie, I have been beating the drum that its an awesome bike. But, it makes me sad to know that my Bonnie is actually just 49.9KW which is 59.9BHP/61PS

I love the Bonnie but, hate Triumph India for their callous and insenstive attitude towards its customers even thought its almost 2 weeks now that his issue has come out in the open

It's like another Satyam Scam !!!
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2014, 20:26   #866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ever since I bought the Bonnie, I have been beating the drum that its an awesome bike. But, it makes me sad to know that my Bonnie is actually just 49.9KW which is 59.9BHP/61PS
On that note, i never looked at the Bonnie from the BHP perspective. To me the 7bhp doesnt really make a difference and wouldnt make a difference even if i was a Bonnie owner and found out about the scam later. I wont be setting any roads on fire anyways though i do indulge in fairly spirited riding.(ofcourse, to each his own)

My only concern now, after knowing about this scam is that im concerned about Triumph honoring the warranty for its customers.
Because, if you can lie about specs, you cannot be trusted about the warranty. This can be a concern for existing and potential owners.
Old 2nd December 2014, 00:36   #867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Very well said and this is why ive been eyeing the Bonnie too. Understated elegance
And your dad is right. Bombay is not for motorcycles. Its just disgusting to ride a powerful bike puttering around in 1st and 2nd gear. This one is for the hiway and ... into the great wide open.. under them skies of blue.. .. a rebel without a clue.

Im planning to book in Jan.
Did they tell you how many days they take from booking to delivery?
The price uve mentioned.. is that the OTR price ?
Jay: try riding a bonnie in evening rush hour traffic and both she and you'll be ready to call it a day and part ways. Especially in rush hour traffic, she gets unbelievably temperamental and hot, and shows her weight.

So I now Uber/drive/train/taxi/bicycle/walk to work and ride on weekends. Fun for all. Some days I do ride on weekdays but late at night. Riding anything with wheels in traffic is a pain, but on two wheels even more so.

Madheer, take it slow and decide where and when you're going to ride before taking the plunge. I love my bonnie dearly and I'm perfectly content to use it solely on weekends. But will you be?
Old 2nd December 2014, 16:03   #868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Jay: try riding a bonnie in evening rush hour traffic and both she and you'll be ready to call it a day and part ways. Especially in rush hour traffic, she gets unbelievably temperamental and hot, and shows her weight.

So I now Uber/drive/train/taxi/bicycle/walk to work and ride on weekends. Fun for all. Some days I do ride on weekdays but late at night. Riding anything with wheels in traffic is a pain, but on two wheels even more so.

Madheer, take it slow and decide where and when you're going to ride before taking the plunge. I love my bonnie dearly and I'm perfectly content to use it solely on weekends. But will you be?
Thanks, I am as slow as can be; will give a brief backdrop.
Had enough of the 4 hour daily travel by road, to and from work; for years now.
Even tried a driver, but eventually got fed up and said bye-bye to the driver and opted for the Metro.
Cut my daily commute to 2 hours, an hour each side; and that was a blessing.
Eventually sold my car and now only take the Metro past few months.
Borrow the wife's car for weekend drives or jaunts.
On a rare occasion, the trusted Ola Cabs app gets me by; when I feel too lazy for the Metro.

Dont intend to ride the bike on weekdays or in traffic, have a few friends who ride out weekends.
Sunday breakfasts specially, and will try that for starters is what I have in mind.
Just that the 6.9 lacs is a huge investment.
A few friends advised to keep an eye out for a used bike to start with, but not finding anything interesting.
Old 2nd December 2014, 19:27   #869
BHPian

De-tune fiasco coupled with price rise (close to 20k in BLR) is such a bad and uncalculated move from the Triumph team.

Time to introspect and localize at least the SE model for volumes or else god save them!
Old 2nd December 2014, 19:41   #870
BHPian

Quote:
A few friends advised to keep an eye out for a used bike to start with, but not finding anything interesting.
Saw an ad in Mumbai olx last week for t100 ,abt 1000kms and 40k worth ACC's for around 7lacs .quite a deal for new bike mh02 reg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks