Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2016, 14:14   #946
BHPian

re: Triumph Bonneville Discussion Thread: My "Black Bruiser" is SOLD !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan View Post
How does your setup improve "ground clearance"?
Conti GT suspension are longer in length, so increase in ground clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Peeps a small question, how can we get the 68 bhp from our 61 bonnveille? If already answered and discussed then just the link will do. Search comes up blank.
Install Arrow pipe, it needs remapping and this remap will increase BHP.
Old 23rd February 2016, 14:47   #947
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Install Arrow pipe, it needs remapping and this remap will increase BHP.
In my personal opinion, investing in an Arrow 2X2 pipes is a wasteful expenditure.

Problems I experienced :

1. Firstly, it gives a perception that bike acceleration has improved due to increased power ( Power increment can only be confirmed if bike is dyno'ed)

2. It makes too much of a racket (without baffles, ofcourse). Great to show-off to the crowd gathered around the Nukkad Wala Paanshop ( Nieghbourhood Paan Maker) but, for long distance touring, it is an absolute horror as that sound will give you the biggest headache of your life

3. With Baffles, it sounds almost like a stock unit

Therefore, my recommendation for anyone buying the Arrow Pipes, think twice
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 15:10   #948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
In my personal opinion, investing in an Arrow 2X2 pipes is a wasteful expenditure.

Problems I experienced :

1. Firstly, it gives a perception that bike acceleration has improved due to increased power ( Power increment can only be confirmed if bike is dyno'ed)

2. It makes too much of a racket (without baffles, ofcourse). Great to show-off to the crowd gathered around the Nukkad Wala Paanshop ( Nieghbourhood Paan Maker) but, for long distance touring, it is an absolute horror as that sound will give you the biggest headache of your life

Very correct information mate, indeed the experience speaks. The same is the case with RE motorcycles wherein people change their stock units to what not modifications which makes it sound like a torn out loud speaker. We had once gone for a small ride of 250 kms round trip. There was a guy who had fitted a "so called performance" aftermarket free flow exhaust on his CL350. Before the ride began I told him, "that exhaust mate is going to kill your ears and peace of mind while touring." He said, Nah! I just love the sound and the thump. Next thing I saw was him asking us to halt after every 50 kms as his head was turning round. I offered him to ride my Tbird and he never stopped after that. But I asked him to stop (and took back my Tbird) as I couldn't take that deafening and irritating noise after about 30 odd kms. I believe same is the case with Arrows (All Show No Go) on Triumph as a couple of members in TeamBHP itself had swapped their stock exhaust with Arrows on their Tigers but ended up going back to stock.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 23rd February 2016 at 15:15.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 15:26   #949
BHPian

Mobike008: I never knew these cons before acquiring my pair of Arrows :O

When I "Arrowed" my T-100, my first reaction was, Gosh, Sound travels faster than bike

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd February 2016 at 15:44. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your post within the 30 minute edit window to add more contents.
Old 23rd February 2016, 16:14   #950
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayant06 View Post
Mobike008: I never knew these cons before acquiring my pair of Arrows :O

When I "Arrowed" my T-100, my first reaction was, Gosh, Sound travels faster than bike
Jayant : I thought you know the story before buying one....I have shared it on my thread plenty of times in the past if I remember correctly...Arrows give the perception of travelling faster than you really are and like you rightly said it's due the sound

Well, your an auto collector so it should not really matter, you can enjoy the T-100 for shorter runs and use your other bikes for longer ones OR swap the pipes when going for long distance running OR even simpler, just pop in the baffles for a noiseless ride

Bottom-line, those pipes are noisy and I lost lot of money on them

Last edited by mobike008 : 23rd February 2016 at 16:19.
Old 23rd February 2016, 17:08   #951
BHPian

Just kidding, mobike008. I did one better though - had a new set of baffles fabricated to my desiGN. The result is a non restrictive exhaust that sounds throaty under acceleration and refined at other times. You should view/ listen to it some day 😊
Jayant06 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 19:07   #952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Conti GT suspension are longer in length, so increase in ground clearance.
Hello, Pawan, , longer suspension or a "suspension lift " does not increase the Ground Clearance at all...unless you upgrade to taller tires.
mohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 09:26   #953
Senior - BHPian

Thank you all for the info but how was the loss of 7bhp achieved on bonnveille. If previously stock bike was 68 without arrow exhaust so why we can't up the bhp with just the remap.

Is there some kind of restriction in the air box or some mechanical part is different.

I really love the look of these 2x2 arrows but I agree with you all , it's way too loud. It's good enough for only couple of WOT for few seconds. Angels from hell would sound like that.

Best I find are the high flow ones, value for money too. But do they require remap and if so which one.
Old 24th February 2016, 10:15   #954
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all for the info but how was the loss of 7bhp achieved on bonnveille. If previously stock bike was 68 without arrow exhaust so why we can't up the bhp with just the remap.

Is there some kind of restriction in the air box or some mechanical part is different.

I really love the look of these 2x2 arrows but I agree with you all , it's way too loud. It's good enough for only couple of WOT for few seconds. Angels from hell would sound like that.

Best I find are the high flow ones, value for money too. But do they require remap and if so which one.
It seems to be a well guarded secret by triumph as to how they achieved the reduction in bhp. I would guess a combination of airbox reduction ( apparently kn filters for bonnies were not fitting correctly in indian bonnies) and possibly different ecu maps for the indian bonnies.
High flow silencers on the base bonnie are really good although with time they get slightly subdued but still have enough growl. Yes they require a remap.
Old 24th February 2016, 10:30   #955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by argchoff View Post
It seems to be a well guarded secret by triumph as to how they achieved the reduction in bhp. I would guess a combination of airbox reduction ( apparently kn filters for bonnies were not fitting correctly in indian bonnies) and possibly different ecu maps for the indian bonnies.
High flow silencers on the base bonnie are really good although with time they get slightly subdued but still have enough growl. Yes they require a remap.
What I heard was the 68 bhp was at the crank. For Indian certification, power calculated at the wheel which is 61 bhp. Don't worry about it and enjoy the bike mate!
Old 24th February 2016, 12:03   #956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Problems I experienced :

I fully agree with you.

To me "the electric sewing machine sound" (as my daughter describes my Bonnie's sound, on "Pea-shooters") is pure music to my ears and any missing note is immediately noticeable.

It gives you great company miles after miles. Last weekend was out on a log ride on the NH7 didn't realize I was at Penukonda already in about 75 minutes of leaving from Jakkur Shell station

Then again each man unto his own in this respect.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 24th February 2016 at 12:06.
r_nairtvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 18:52   #957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello, Pawan, , longer suspension or a "suspension lift " does not increase the Ground Clearance at all...unless you upgrade to taller tires.
Really curious as to why not. A raise in suspension, on which a bike is (please excuse) suspended should mean the lowest part of the chasis will also rise, no? I am assuming here that the rake / trail will not be altered, like in case of those sled like, disgusting (personal opinion) choppers

And an increase in tyre side wall alone has a rather noticable effect on ride height. I am copy pasting my comments below from the "motorcycle tyres" thread:

"Got the Enfield some new shoes

A Ceat Secura front tyre - Size 3.25/19
Had been using a Nylogrip Zapper FY - 90/90/19
Tyre pressure - 22 psi
Kms done - 200 only

Negatives:
--------

Positives:
- The bike has definitely gained some height and now, the footpegs dont scrape as eassily as they did. I mean I still am able to scrape footpegs but I definitely have to crank her over considerably more before hard parts start grinding. Very good!!!"
Old 25th February 2016, 22:51   #958
Senior - BHPian

Anyone knows how long does it takes to get a duplicate key from company. I lost my fuel cap and handle lock key, I have duplicate for booth but I am not sure if I can get a duplicate for fuel lock although I have the key no for fuel cap as well as handle lock.
Old 26th February 2016, 10:47   #959
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone knows how long does it takes to get a duplicate key from company. I lost my fuel cap and handle lock key, I have duplicate for booth but I am not sure if I can get a duplicate for fuel lock although I have the key no for fuel cap as well as handle lock.
The lockable fuel cap which I got came with two keys - one spare. So, unless you have lost both of them this might be an issue. You may wanna check the box which the lockable fuel cap came in for the other key.

I guess aren't you better off getting a key maker for getting a spare key instead of asking the showroom? They'll overcharge anyway
Old 26th February 2016, 10:57   #960
BHPian

Quote:

I believe (and I could be wrong) the 68 vs 61 bhp was an issue with where you measure it. In India, ARAI measures it at the wheel. Triumph published the hp / torque numbers at the crankshaft.
So 7-8 hp reduction would be okay I think. I haven't heard of two tunes for the Bonnie from the factory. I know the street triple has two stock tunes.

I have the free flows on my bonnie - they are called TORs (triumph off roads ) and they do come with a remap which the showroom does for you. I disconnected the Secondary Air Injection on it and the bike is so much sweeter! I wish I had done it earlier and it would have prevented the pipes from bluing up.

You can do the remaps yourself by getting an OBD cable and downloading some software (for eg. TuneECU) and purchase different maps. I haven't gone this far, but cant say I wont.

Quote:
Both these mods will change the ground clearance. I reckon the Paioli ones from the Conti GT are a couple of inches longer. So in free state, thats how much the rear wheel will be pushed away.
When you sit on the bike, it will depend on the spring stiffness - a softer spring will reduce the ground clearance and vice versa.

It'll change the rake also (reduce in this case) and make the bike a little more sportier.
nitrogary is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks