Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2018, 22:56   #1066
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Would you mind sharing some details on this on how the fork caps make a difference? Does it reduce the clank sound from the front suspension at times on the A3. Would be really interested in knowing
I would be sharing my review on A3 in coming months in detail but for the time being I will answer your query.

Main issue with the A3 front suspension is bottoming out and the clunk which we hear more often. More kms on ODO, more your front suspension gets softens and clunk increases. Thats due to the springs decreased preload. With the adjustable caps, you retain and increase the preload on the springs. Which helps you in eradicating the bottoming out completely and reducing the clunk to a great extent. Try hitting the front tyre with your toe when the bike is on side stand and observe where the clunk comes from. There is something I want to try to get rid of the clunk but until then I'll not comment.
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2018, 13:36   #1067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
I would be sharing my review on A3 in coming months in detail but for the time being I will answer your query.

Main issue with the A3 front suspension is bottoming out and the clunk which we hear more often. More kms on ODO, more your front suspension gets softens and clunk increases. Thats due to the springs decreased preload. With the adjustable caps, you retain and increase the preload on the springs. Which helps you in eradicating the bottoming out completely and reducing the clunk to a great extent. Try hitting the front tyre with your toe when the bike is on side stand and observe where the clunk comes from. There is something I want to try to get rid of the clunk but until then I'll not comment.
Are these straight plug and play or do they need any modifications? I mean, can the standard caps be just unscrewed and the adjustable caps just screwed on. Do you also mind sharing the cost and availability of these caps
Old 10th February 2018, 15:49   #1068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are these straight plug and play or do they need any modifications? I mean, can the standard caps be just unscrewed and the adjustable caps just screwed on. Do you also mind sharing the cost and availability of these caps
It is quite straight forward apart from spacers have to be cut around 17mm if I remember correctly. Cost is around 6k for all the parts and availability is only on pre order basis unless the spares are around in India. Triumph takes maximum 45 days for parts.
Old 10th February 2018, 23:40   #1069
BHPian

Quote:
Would you mind sharing some details on this on how the fork caps make a difference? Does it reduce the clank sound from the front suspension at times on the A3. Would be really interested in knowing
Was away from the forum for a while and just saw your post. So chipping in my own recent experience if it helps you in any way.

Few months back I picked up a sparingly used 2015 Bonneville A3 and took the bike out for a longish ride with my wife riding pillion to get to know the bike's shortcomings and also any handling related issues for 2-up riding although this bike will be mostly used for solo riding as I have another bike for my 2-up riding duties.

While I was impressed with the handling of the Bonnie for 2-up, the two major short comings that struck me instantly was - Soft suspension & limited ground clearance (well on my first 2-up ride itself I managed to hit a pothole and puncture my oil filter and came home with a oil leak. Anyways, poured thru past rider experiences, fellow member inputs, expert comments etc and finally decided to do the following upgrades:
1) Better rear shocks. I searched thru Progressive, Hagon and a host of others and while most user reviews reported better performance, the steep prices & shipping just did not justify my purchase at least for the intended use of my bike. Anyway I wasnt going on a RTW trip! Couple of brands from UK also told me they have stopped shipping to India due to high rate of failures and their inability to process warranty claims. So decided to first try out the RE Continental shocks from Paoli that worked out to about Rs 11,500 for a pair. I didnt like the yellow springs, so I had them dismantled (its an easy job) and had them powder coated black. There is a big difference in the ride now when compared to the stock rear shocks and it suits me fine.

2) Tightening up the Front forks: Remembering an old positive review for the Ricor Intiminators from our fellow T-bhp member gthang for his Harley Sportster, I did some more searching and most reviews for the Bonnie were also very positive.

Here is the review:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...iminators.html

This is the product link:
http://store.ricorshocks.com/product...41-20-1001.htm

This really tightened up things on the front taking the bike to a different level and the thud is almost fully gone unless I ride it hard like an off road bike over broken pavement.

3) Ground Clearance: Since the RE Shock is longer than stock you get an increased ground clearance since your seat and the rest of the bike (except the rear swing arm) raises up a little. Yes, there is a small adjustment to be done to the shock eyelet. However, once its fixed the chain will need adjustment for the revised geometry and if your bike has a center stand then the not so good news is that the rear tire will no longer stay a few cms above the ground with the center stand deployed. The rear tire will also touch the floor. For future chain lubing/adjustment etc, you will have to put some small wood blocks and deploy the center stand onto that. If anybody here has been able to find a way around it, please do share your experience.

4) Safeguarding the under belly: Although the RE Paoli rear suspension does remedy the ground clearance issue, the oil filter is still vulnerable as the stock bash plate surprisingly ends just before the oil filter and if you hit some really deep pothole, the filter can easily get punctured and leak oil! So you can use some billet aluminum plate as an extension of the bash plate using the stock bolts of the bash plate. Notice in the pic below

If you are in Bangalore, you can head to the mechanic Mr Bali (Motokraft) near the Vijayanagar metro and he will do a brilliant job and charges very nominally. I did my work from him. A very humble person and a perfectionist. Just make sure you fix a day with him and sit with him and finish your work and leave.
Attached Thumbnails
My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-bonniehr.jpg  

Last edited by Haroon : 10th February 2018 at 23:43.
Haroon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th February 2018, 04:23   #1070
Senior - BHPian

@Haron I have seen two A3 so far with Paoli, booth with a leaking shock. They don't seem to last very long on our bikes.

For your other two issues;

1. Weld a small piece of one inch rod or a thick plate underneath booth the centre stand legs.

2. For the safety of oil filter, Triumph sells an oil filter cover. Part no T1210245 - COVER, OIL FILTER, BLK. It's for Tiger 800 and same oil filter as A3. Cost around 1K. It's a straight fit and it will take care of your worries of puncturing the filter in future. Quit good quality too.
My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-t1210245oilfiltercover_white.jpg
Randhawa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2018, 09:45   #1071
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
I didnt like the yellow springs, so I had them dismantled (its an easy job) and had them powder coated black.
Haroon,

There is a paint called the "plasti dip". Spray can. Get one on the matt black and you can paint the Paoli's reservoir as well, the looks will be much better.

As we had discussed my weight (<70 kg) and the front 19" wheels gives me all the GC I need, and fortunately haven't faced none of these issues including the "infamous clank".

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2018, 12:13   #1072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) Better rear shocks. I searched thru Progressive, Hagon and a host of others and while most user reviews reported better performance, the steep prices & shipping just did not justify my purchase at least for the intended use of my bike. Anyway I wasnt going on a RTW trip! Couple of brands from UK also told me they have stopped shipping to India due to high rate of failures and their inability to process warranty claims. So decided to first try out the RE Continental shocks from Paoli that worked out to about Rs 11,500 for a pair. I didnt like the yellow springs, so I had them dismantled (its an easy job) and had them powder coated black. There is a big difference in the ride now when compared to the stock rear shocks and it suits me fine.

2) Tightening up the Front forks: Remembering an old positive review for the Ricor Intiminators from our fellow T-bhp member gthang for his Harley Sportster, I did some more searching and most reviews for the Bonnie were also very positive.
Thanks for the feedback Haroon. I upgraded to Paoli around 2 years back and am immensely happy so far. Not encountered any oil leaks so far, touchwood. Just to know, what is the pre-load you are using? I mean number of threads visible.
I know its a personal preference, but I sort of liked the yellow on a black bike so did not bother painting it and left it as-is.
Attached Thumbnails
My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0137.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_4365.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_4368.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_4369.jpg  

dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2018, 12:21   #1073
BHPian

Quote:
It is quite straight forward apart from spacers have to be cut around 17mm if I remember correctly. Cost is around 6k for all the parts and availability is only on pre order basis unless the spares are around in India. Triumph takes maximum 45 days for parts.
These are available and are a straight fit and does not need to the spacers to cut also. I am thinking of giving it a shot. Will update.

http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/cnc...er-39682-p.asp

Thanks.
madhukar_n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2018, 13:09   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
@Haron I have seen two A3 so far with Paoli, booth with a leaking shock. They don't seem to last very long on our bikes.

For your other two issues;

1. Weld a small piece of one inch rod or a thick plate underneath booth the centre stand legs.

2. For the safety of oil filter, Triumph sells an oil filter cover. Part no T1210245 - COVER, OIL FILTER, BLK. It's for Tiger 800 and same oil filter as A3. Cost around 1K. It's a straight fit and it will take care of your worries of puncturing the filter in future. Quit good quality too.
Attachment 1729239
Thanks Randhawa for the suggestions. Will do the center stand mods on my next visit to India. For now the extended bashplate is doing its job well, but if need be in future I will go in for the filter cover. Grateful for the heads up on that.

So the RE shocks also leak! Anyway, if it happens, then will consider a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Haroon,

There is a paint called the "plasti dip". Spray can. Get one on the matt black and you can paint the Paoli's reservoir as well, the looks will be much better.

As we had discussed my weight (<70 kg) and the front 19" wheels gives me all the GC I need, and fortunately haven't faced none of these issues including the "infamous clank".

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Yes Ram. I did look at that option, but spraying the spring would also splash black into the inside of the shocks which I wanted the stock color. Btw, a well known Plasti-dip place in Bangalore is barely 500 mtrs from my mech Bali's workshop in Vijayanagar but they wanted the shocks dismantled and were very busy for a whole week, so I went ahead with my mech's suggestion for powder coat for which he charged me next to nothing.

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback Haroon. I upgraded to Paoli around 2 years back and am immensely happy so far. Not encountered any oil leaks so far, touchwood. Just to know, what is the pre-load you are using? I mean number of threads visible.
I know its a personal preference, but I sort of liked the yellow on a black bike so did not bother painting it and left it as-is.
Its reassuring to know the Paoli is performing well Dinu. I dont remember the exact clicks but I think the mech had set it to 3 turns. Not sure though, have to check with him. After that I rode the bike for about 250 kms with a pillion including potholes, bad roads, smooth roads etc and the suspension was firm. So probably if I am riding solo with luggage, it should suffice my needs.
Haroon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2018, 14:17   #1075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
These are available and are a straight fit and does not need to the spacers to cut also. I am thinking of giving it a shot. Will update.

http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/cnc...er-39682-p.asp

Thanks.
Nope, you will have to trim the spacers no matter what they say otherwise you will have to set them up with min setting and still the preload will me more then stock. One good thing about them is that they come with adjusters. For triumph ones, you have to use a spanner to adjust them but doable with hands also.

This is the reason you have to trim the spacers.

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-fork21.jpg

Last edited by Randhawa : 11th February 2018 at 14:21. Reason: Pic upload
Old 11th February 2018, 18:40   #1076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yes Ram. I did look at that option, but spraying the spring would also splash black into the inside of the shocks which I wanted the stock color. Btw, a well known Plasti-dip place in Bangalore is barely 500 mtrs from my mech Bali's workshop in Vijayanagar but they wanted the shocks dismantled and were very busy for a whole week, so I went ahead with my mech's suggestion for powder coat for which he charged me next to nothing.
Haroon, I was not referring to the springs. What you did for the spring is exactly the right thing to do and PC is definitely more long lasting. I was referring the yellow colour still on the reservoir - which cant be subjected to the PC process as far as I understand. So was suggesting to just paint the with Plasti Dip Mat Black thats all.

If youre happy with the yellow, no issues at all

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 11:36   #1077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope, you will have to trim the spacers no matter what they say otherwise you will have to set them up with min setting and still the preload will me more then stock. One good thing about them is that they come with adjusters. For triumph ones, you have to use a spanner to adjust them but doable with hands also.

This is the reason you have to trim the spacers.

Attachment 1729584
But is there a need to make it softer than the stock pre-load? If not, is there a need to trim the spacers?
Old 12th February 2018, 12:35   #1078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But is there a need to make it softer than the stock pre-load? If not, is there a need to trim the spacers?
Softer then the stock setting will lead you to bottoming out at every pothole. But if you start with tighter setting then you end up with hardly any settings left. It will be too hard setup for you to ride and you won't have much room to soften it then.

It's really not a big job, just take out the spacers and take to any descent lathe shop and get them cut on lathe and not with the blade.
Old 18th March 2018, 22:55   #1079
Senior - BHPian

Just finished reading the complete thread today. I was thinking of picking up a used Harley Davidson Superlow or Iron. Looks like the Bonnie will be better suited to my usage though. One disadvantage for me is there is no Triumph dealer in Goa.
Old 23rd March 2018, 10:26   #1080
Senior - BHPian

I was browsing through OLX for a Bonnieville and found a couple of ads for the Bonnieville A3. What is the difference between the SE and A3?
From what I understand, the original Bonnieville was sold in the SE and T100 variants. The SE was replaced by the Street Twin and the T120 was added to the line up. Am I missing something here?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks