Team-BHP - My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/148232-my-triumph-bonneville-edit-sold-8.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_aditya (Post 3385612)
Do ride down to blore sometime. Would love to meet up with you and the bike.

Thanks Adi. I have already decided to ride down to Bangalore and it will happen before June for sure.

Just waiting for Bonnie to clock 2000kms before embarking on a long journey

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 3385567)
Tomorrow my small group of friends ( almost all of them except one are Team-BHPians) are riding to Bidar ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bidar) which is rougly 275kms both ways.

There is a huge traction happening in my group of friends. Infact, I would rather terms it as a "Biking Revolution" with people on a bike buying spree:D

My friend and BHPian RD350 owner (Shyamal) sold his RD350 to another BHPian Ravveendra and bought himself a Harley Davidson Super Glide (1600cc Cruiser) and will be joining this ride tomorrow clap:

Following folks are riding tomorrow :-

1. Mobike008 (Triumph Bonneville)
2. Abysnthguzzler (Triumph Bonneville)
3. Mani (Triumph Bonnevile)
4. Xydon (Classic 500-Chrome & Black)
5. AshishYadav (Classic 500-Desert Storm)
6. Insearch (RE TB 500)
7. Rider60 ( Ninja 250)
8. Shyamal (Harley Davidson Super Glide)
9. Ecosportrules (Safety and video taking unit-Ford Ecosport)

Bidar is 275 km from where, mobike008? Mapquest shows close to 700 km one way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sridhu (Post 3385674)
Bidar is 275 km from where, mobike008? Mapquest shows close to 700 km one way.

Sridhu, I thought my avatar picture clearly shows where iam located-Hyderabad:)

Bidar is roughly 275kms up and down from Hyderabad !!

My bad ... comes of speed reading posts! Apologies

Have a nice & safe ride.

I was getting very nice helmets in black color from various brands but, somehow i was stuck on a white one for two primary reasons :-

1. White is much better visible during nights ( especially with reflectors)

2. White color will be a nice contrast to a black bike

Was searching for solid white in all popular brands but, all of them were with graphics which i am not too fond of

Finally, found one helmet which was close to what I wanted ( not 100% match but, reasonably good for time being before I source a better one from abroad in the next 3-4 months)

Bought this helmet " THH" its a Taiwanese company and has decent specs

DOT Certified
Double Visor
Plenty of air vents
3 reflectors at back (Emitting white color at night)
Good Padding and Cushioning
Key Ring Fastener

I think iam good for time being :thumbs up

Hi avinash, nice to see your ownership thread finally up on the forum. Enjoy the bidar trip, I had recently (3 months ago) been on that road and it wasn't really a smooth road with a lot of bumps, hope those are fixed now.

Did your friend buy a brand new super glide?

I plan to go to HD and triumph showroom tomorrow for some additional info on Bonnie and street 750. Personally I am going as I want my wife to see what I am thinking of buying so let's c.

Hello Mr Ram & Mobike 008,

I am extremely sorry that I did not reply earlier.

In my spare time, I am restoring a 1978 CB750K & a 1998 Laverda 750S, anyway, here is a crude attempt to explain the situation of ABS braking.

Imagine you are on a motorcycle and you are braking gradually, if the surface, the brakes and tyre are all right, you will eventually come to a stop due to the friction between the brakes/drum/ disc that is eventually transmitted to the wheel/tyre and thereon to the road.

Now imagine a possibility wherein the motorcycle is brought to an absolute standstill, because of any emergency and you have stepped on the brakes/ slammed the brakes. There are two possibilities;

1. A sudden braking wherein there in no/barely tyre squeal and the vehicle stops (called Threshold/Cadence braking), or,

2. There is a lot of squeal, skidding and the vehicle come to a stop.

In #2, you will realize that in certain conditions, such as loose gravel, sand etc. on the road, on applying the brakes, the wheel/tyres were locked up, but you were skidding on the road surface. i.e the wheels were locked, but, you were not stopped. I hope that I have explained the situation.

What happens in situation #2, is that though the wheels are locked, you have lost steering and braking, due to the myriad reasons that may be present/mentioned above and that you are sliding but not stopping.

Now for a moment, think of a possibility where you could have applied the brakes very hard in an emergency and in a perfect world, you could have removed brake pressure, just prior to the wheel stopping (and you sliding), then, re-applied the brakes again to point of locking up the wheel and then re-released.....etc...etc...till the bike came to a standstill, without you loosing traction/grip/sliding etc.

In a racing environment, the skilled racer does this magic of threshold braking, since, most corners are predictable and they have practiced hard to get there.

However, in a day to day situation, with normal folks like you and me, things are different.

Now imagine, you had an mechanism in the bike that sensed, the possibility of the wheels locking up under heavy braking, and then, released the break and re-applied it again a few hundred/thousand times in a second, then we are speaking of ABS braking.

Remember, with the application of ABS brakes the length / braking distance is a trite higher/longer in standard conditions, and shorter in sliding/slippery conditions.

The safety quotient far outweighs the complexity and weight factors.

Also remember in Off Road mode, for goodness sake switch off the ABS, since on every braking the ABS will kick in and the bike will not stop.

On most cars and bikes with ABS, the working of the ABS is sensed by juddering/ rapid throbbing of the brake pedal/lever when brakes are slammed.

Before I forget - ABS is Anti-lock Braking System!

In case you should need a detailed/ technical write up, please PM me, else this thread will be bored to death and readers may find themselves asleep on the key boards.

Take care and stay well.

Regards,

BB

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 3386142)

Excellent helmet Avinash. I had also bought a THH helmet recently but its an open face. I was planning to buy a Full Face one also somewhat like this one. What is the model no. of this helmet and the damages, so I can order directly to the THH office in Thane/Pune.

Britishbangers has nicely explained ABS in laymans terms and thats what it precisely does.

Now coming to explain a practical scenario ABS from my real life riding. I have been riding ABS equipped bikes for almost 14 years now. My own 1100RT & 1200GS as well as a whole lot of other BMW bikes on my global trips. However, the only time I got to put the ABS to its full test (rather forced to do it!), was on my GS during our south india ride. Me, wife, 3 fully loaded luggage cases and tankbag meant I had to handle a total combined weight of more than 450kgs. We had a long day of close to 600kms from Kanyakumari to Pondicherry with a stop in Madurai. So I was fairly lenient on my right wrist esp with the silky smooth highways of TN. After Madurai, it started to rain heavily and that brought down our cruising speeds. The rain stopped but the roads were fully wet, and traffic was almost non existent. So I was again comfortably cruising between 110-120kmph when suddenly from the road divider (which is covered with tall grass), out of nowhere a stray dog pops out and jumps directly onto my path. All the target fixation stuff they teach you in riding school can be thrown out of the window as the dog is probably 10-15 ft from me and there is no escape route to look for at the speed I am approaching the dog. In that split second I just slammed the brakes hard and the bike came to an abrupt & controlled stop with no sliding or weaving on a fully wet road. The picture of the terrified dog is still fresh in my mind....it just closed its eyes and jumped back onto the divider just in time to avoid contact with us.....thankfully the dog did not suffer target fixation:D

As a kid, riding pillion behind my dad we had an unexpected encounter with one such stray dog that ran into our path and wriggled under the front wheel. While the dog ran away unscathed, me, dad & his trusty Lambretta scooter needed some serious tinkering!! So Yes, on my GS had we gone over the dog thats for a different discussion and I dont know the outcome, but the ABS did the braking part brilliantly.

Almost on all our global rides, we have had to ride in rain in may parts, but knowing the ABS is there, it definitely inspires more confidence. I think its high time ABS becomes a standard feature on all bikes.

I remember long back some company out of Delhi was selling a so-called valve called 'ABS for bikes for Rs 750'!!!! Dont know if they still sell! An ABS system has sensors, electronic module etc etc and cant be sold as simply a pulsating valve. What a con-job!!

Guys, try to ride a TVS Apache 180R ABS to get to know how it works.
The confidence it gives have to be felt.

OT, showrooms might not give TD of Apache RTR ABS cos all would be trying to test it :D

One more main point about ABS.. if the wheels lock during braking, you lose steering. You just keep going in the direction you were going when the wheel locked up. So, if you are driving in an abs equipped vehicle, you can not only brake as hard as you can but also do evasive manoevers.
So rolling wheel- good steering, sliding wheel- no steering!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 3386142)

DOT Certified
Double Visor
Plenty of air vents
3 reflectors at back (Emitting white color at night)
Good Padding and Cushioning
Key Ring Fastener

I think iam good for time being :thumbs up

Avinash,

Hope the specs in reality are more confidence inspiring than their packaging.

You say the Brand is THH and so does the graphics on the helmet. But the soft cover says TIH (or am I reading it wrong). Likely a china production (know for such goof ups) than a Taiwan one, who pays more attention to details). Hope they have paid better attention to ensure quality and specs of the helmet.

Please switch to a known/proven brand as soon as possible.

May be THH is a great brand and if so my apologies on these comments in advance.

Best Regards & Thanks

Ram

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanketdesai82 (Post 3386208)
I had recently (3 months ago) been on that road and it wasn't really a smooth road with a lot of bumps, hope those are fixed now.

Roads were absolutely terrible for about 60-70kms, patchy and bumpy. Besides that it was drizziling and good amount of traffic. But, that pain was forgotten by these two stretches

Zaheerabad-Bidar ( 30kms): Smooth tarmac with sweeping turns and practically zero traffic

BHEL- Sangareddy ( 30kms) : 4 Lane highway

So it was a pretty much mix road condition but, we enjoyed a lot. A short report and pics will come up soon of this ride

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanketdesai82 (Post 3386208)
Did your friend buy a brand new super glide?

Nope. Its a 2011 Superglide with 10K kms under its belt and only scarlet color in India and is a CBU

Quote:

Originally Posted by Britishbangers (Post 3386381)
Hello Mr Ram & Mobike 008,

That was a fantastic explanation and thank you for that. I always beileved ABS should be made mandatory for all vehicles on road. God knows apart from cost what else is stopping manafacturers

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkaile (Post 3386391)
Excellent helmet Avinash. I had also bought a THH helmet recently but its an open face. I was planning to buy a Full Face one also somewhat like this one. What is the model no. of this helmet and the damages, so I can order directly to the THH office in Thane/Pune.

Thanks Dheeraj. Iam not sure about the helmet model. Will post it soon

It costed me 4.5K and bought from a store called " AdventureonRocks" in Hyderabad which is a very popular biking store and these guys have their own manafacturring under the name of Zeus

http://www.zeusgear.in/

Its difficult to find jackets for my large frame in India, Cramster XXL didnt fit my 44" size but, Zeus has a lovely jacket for 6.5K blue and white/red and white color combo. It was worn by the Storm owner in my previous ride photos in this thread

I may buy that if i dont get anything better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haroon (Post 3386460)
Now coming to explain a practical scenario ABS from my real life riding.

Thanks your extensive experience tales are always exciting to read

Quote:

I remember long back some company out of Delhi was selling a so-called valve called 'ABS for bikes for Rs 750'!!!! Dont know if they still sell! An ABS system has sensors, electronic module etc etc and cant be sold as simply a pulsating valve. What a con-job!!

Its still available on ebay and i think they reduced the price to 650 bucks nowrl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by r_nairtvm (Post 3386749)
You say the Brand is THH and so does the graphics on the helmet. But the soft cover says TIH (or am I reading it wrong).

Ram, THH/TIH is one single brand and if you google it will lead you to same website http://www.thh-helmet.com/

Dealer from whom I bought is reputed and he kept saying we sell only TIH/THH helmets.

I used the helmet for yesterday's ride of 280kms, it was tight inititally which made me wonder if i bought a size small as it felt too tight. but, during the return ride the helmet felt comfortable and iam reasonably pleased with its quality and that double visor comes quite handy

Quote:

As a kid, riding pillion behind my dad we had an unexpected encounter with one such stray dog that ran into our path and wriggled under the front wheel. While the dog ran away unscathed, me, dad & his trusty Lambretta scooter needed some serious tinkering!! So Yes, on my GS had we gone over the dog thats for a different discussion and I dont know the outcome, but the ABS did the braking part brilliantly.

In college I had a Bengali batchmate who had been with me since kindergarten. Huge guy. Babaji we used to call him. He had a trademark old hand me down lamby which we had all christened Battlecat (it had that same name sticker on both side cowls). Well babaji and battlecat together were easily a combined moving weight of 350 odd kilos. So one night on the way back from a movie when he hit a dog, battlecat simply for want of a better description cut the poor animal in two. That's approximately what would have happened had your two up GS with full luggage hit the dog. Golden rule in dog hits, keeping aside the compassion side and bringing forth the self preservation instincts, is to not try to avoid the dog. But hold on tight, try and brake as hard as you can without locking up, and eventually hit it straight front on. Its in trying to avoid that you hit a glancing blow, lose your front end, and go down hard. Best tactic with street dogs is to keep your legs loose and free (dirtbike/supermoto style) and ready to land a solid push off/impact kick with - using your riding booted foot as a fend off weapon. The worst thing about dogs is not the attempt to bite your heels, but their tendency to get caught between the front wheel and the engine. You will be down before you know it.

Dog rant over. Animal lovers, my apologies in advance. I love dogs too, but not as a biker. Pigs too. Very deadly. Very stupid. Very high density mass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 3377960)
Thanks Deepak. I have owned 12 vehicles in little over 12 years so iam notoriously famous in RTO so I acted smart this time and bought the bike in wifey name so i paid lower tax % than regular tax component. Without going into math and break-ups.

@mobike008. I have read your posts and they are really helpful in deciding about the bike.

Could you elaborate on this tax saving stuff by way of a PM to me? My current user profile prevents me from wriring a PM to you on this matter hence the open post.

If the bike is on your wife's name, that is, if she is the registered owner, wouldn't she be held accountable for any insurance-related issues? Id honestly don't know about this; all of my vehicles are registered in my name.