Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2018, 10:45   #1081
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Just finished reading the complete thread today. I was thinking of picking up a used Harley Davidson Superlow or Iron. Looks like the Bonnie will be better suited to my usage though. One disadvantage for me is there is no Triumph dealer in Goa.
I just read that they are setting one up this year in Goa. In addition to I think Nagpur and Coimbatore.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2018, 16:34   #1082
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice to know you read my thread entirely in one shot

Quote:
I was browsing through OLX for a Bonnieville and found a couple of ads for the Bonnieville A3. What is the difference between the SE and A3?From what I understand, the original Bonnieville was sold in the SE and T100 variants. The SE was replaced by the Street Twin and the T120 was added to the line up. Am I missing something here?
Bonneville SE and A3 are one and the same. SE and A3 nomenclature is used interchangeably

P.S : Coincidentally, another team-bhp'ian also read this thread couple of weeks ago back to back and was desperately looking at buying a used A3 and almost finalized one till he came across this thread which he once again read back to back

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...ml#post3931942

Test drove it and now he is picking up a Versys 650 next week
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 00:14   #1083
BHPian

Quote:
I was browsing through OLX for a Bonnieville and found a couple of ads for the Bonnieville A3. What is the difference between the SE and A3?
From what I understand, the original Bonnieville was sold in the SE and T100 variants. The SE was replaced by the Street Twin and the T120 was added to the line up. Am I missing something here?
A3 is the absolute base model of the Bonneville 865cc sold till a year or so back. What the SE (Special edition) has over the A3:

1. Standard tachometer
2. Brushed alloy engine cases.

The SE variant has never been sold in India so if someone states that their variant here is the SE, it’s not true. India got the A3 right from the start- Triumph never advertised it as an A3 for the simple reason that we got the Triumph Bonneville T100 and the Triumph Bonneville(often called the mag wheeled Bonnie). Not even sure what A3 stands for!

Hope this helps.

Regards
Sting
Sting is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 15:26   #1084
Senior - BHPian

Finally took the time out to install the preload fork caps myself on my Bonnie today. I had bought the fork caps from Squaredeals and it came in couple of weeks back. It was apparent that the spacers need to be trimmed by minimum 15 mm so as to ensure that the softest setting is same as stock. I trimmed by 19 mm so that I have an option to go 4mm softer than stock and 14 mm tighter than stock. Decided to go the PVC way as I wanted to retain the stock spacers as is without trimming (in case I needed to go back to stock setup). The correct size CPVC pipe is 1-1/4 inch pipe. It has an OD of 34.9mm which is a smooth fit into the fork tube. Stock spacer is 34mm. Spent a lot of time to cut the PVC pipe square and sand down the edges and deburred so that it is smooth. Also gave it a soap wash to ensure there is no debris. The final length was 216mm, 19mm down on the stock spacer length of 235mm.

Installation was a breeze which got completed in an hours time. Since I did not have a center stand, I jacked up the bike with my hydraulic jack while on the side stand so that the load was removed from the front forks. There was a need to remove the handlebar so that there is access to pull out the spacer and drop in the PVC one. Ensure that the tank and meters are covered with thick rag so that no damage happens due to slipping tools or similar. Also, it might be a good idea to use a thin cloth on the fork nuts so that spanner marks don't damage the finish. Also, some vaseline on the fork cap threads would be a good idea. Finish one side at a time.

The pictures below show the process. Had a short ride and tried softening and tightening which is really easy if you have the thumb-wheel with you. Too early for a full feedback, but initial impressions are good with the possibility of pre-loading on the fly. One thing I noticed is that the clank sound that used to come ever so occasionally seems to have gone. The pre-load I'm using now is 3.5mm tighter than stock.
Attached Thumbnails
My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-d2b27e5656494a0193412cb84edc258b.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-4d8256e80dab47069f5de19c0f7f324f.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-9a463b35ee7147af97810925f3e71f83.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-1e4cfb4dbd9b4d589584c0785c70d8cf.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-61993d1faf51496e938e44cf19a80329.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-ad25a73b01f142a183452615c9871475.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-641edb65ddbe4297952c9209f2254e6d.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-ad0fd829365a4957a73cbf41f6de3d31.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-3c659911095646dd9acd256803c2afa9.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-c3012ff94ce144a8a3fd84213e2656dc.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th March 2018 at 21:30. Reason: Split to paragraph for easy readability. Thanks.
dinu2506 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 15:31   #1085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Finally took the time out to install the preload fork caps myself on my Bonnie today.
What exactly are the pre-load fork caps for?

What clock have you installed? Is it an original Triumph accessory?
Old 24th March 2018, 15:37   #1086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What exactly are the pre-load fork caps for?

What clock have you installed? Is it an original Triumph accessory?
These fork caps allow you to alter the pre-load on the front fork springs to make it softer or tighter as per your need. The Bonnie does not come with this as standard.
Clock is not a Triumph accessory but a motorbike specific one that mounts on 32mm stem nuts. Its a really cool one and is tamper-proof by design unlike lot of clocks that can be pried out with a flat metal plate or screw-driver. This needs allen keys for disassembly.
Old 30th December 2018, 13:22   #1087
Senior - BHPian

Did another DIY last week on the Bonnie. You must have heard of the Secondary Air Injection system and the benefits of disabling it. You even get kits to remove the entire system and plug the holes on the head. I did not want to go to that extent. I tried some jugaad methods for a while like temporarily blocking the hose with a plastic piece. The results were very good. My main requirement was to eliminate the popping noise from the TOR exhausts on releasing the throttle. This jugaad really helped. But I wanted something which was reversible as needed. Block it when you feel like and open when you feel like hearing the pops. This meant there had to be a stop cock in the passage. I did not want to cut the hose or anything so came up with something as in the pictures below, leaving the existing completely stock. Used a good quality stop cock that comes with RO systems along with some flexible hoses and cable ties along with Fevibond. Hope the pictures are self-explanatory. The bike is running beautifully.
Attached Thumbnails
My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_1512.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_1517.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_1619.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_1623.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_1624.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_1625.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_1626.jpg  

dinu2506 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 07:49   #1088
Senior - BHPian

Last week I got a brand new Center Stand Kit for the Bonneville SE from UK. Unfortunately, while installing, I realised that, since my bike is running the Paoili suspension, it is a bit raised than stock. It still supports the bike, but I was not very confident as the full weight was not coming on the stand and both wheels were touching the ground. Since I have no plans of going back to stock suspension, the only option was to probably weld a metal piece to the bottom of the legs to increase the height of the stand but I may not do it.

The stand is brand new, unused, without a scratch and a direct fit to the stock Bonneville SE. If anyone is interested, I could give it off, please PM me.
Old 2nd March 2019, 12:18   #1089
Senior - BHPian

Wanted to check out the Moto Jack for raising the rear wheel of the Bonnie for ease of chain cleaning and lubing. Used to use a hydraulic bottle jack earlier on the underside but thought will check this out. Bought the Moto Jack "Smart" which is meant for bikes weighing 180 kg and more from Amazon. It got delivered last week and today I tried it out. I must say its quite a handy tool and well suited for chain cleaning and lubing. The rear wheel lifts a bit off the ground making it easy to rotate the rear wheel. The Jack lifts the swing arm near the axle nut. Happy and not missing the absence of center stand. Please see some pictures
Attached Thumbnails
My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_2128.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_2129.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_2130.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_2131.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_2132.jpg  

dinu2506 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 11:17   #1090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I must say its quite a handy tool and well suited for chain cleaning and lubing. The rear wheel lifts a bit off the ground making it easy to rotate the rear wheel. The Jack lifts the swing arm near the axle nut. Happy and not missing the absence of center stand. Please see some pictures
While lifting the swinging arm its also lifting the entire bike and the weight of entire bike is coming on the side stand and the Moto jack, I would say more weight is on the Side stand, asits leaning more to left.

I hope you are aware of a reccuring complaint from Bonnie owners in India that the Side Stands are breaking off.

I belive that this sort of stands put a lot of stress on the side stand for which its not designed, and I would never do it.

If at all I would get one more of Motojack and use that from left side in conjunction with one on right. Front wheel to be locked either by tying down the front brake lever or by using a lever to jam the front wheel accross the spokes brake disc.

Best Regards & Thanks

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 3rd March 2019 at 11:21.
Old 3rd March 2019, 11:23   #1091
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
While lifting the swinging arm its also lifting the entire bike and the weight of entire bike is coming on the side stand and the Moto jack, I would say more weight is on the Side stand

I hope you are aware of a reccuring complaint from Bonnie owners in India that the Side Stands are breaking off.

I belive that this sort of stands put a lot of stress on the side stand for which its not designed, and I would never do it.

If at all I would get one more of Motojack and use that from left side in conjunction with one on right. Front wheel to be locked either by tying down the front brake lever or by using a lever to jam the front wheel accross the spokes brake disc.

Best Regards & Thanks

Ram
Good point, Ram. Will take note.
However, I guess the Side Stand breaking issue is reported more with the Street Twins where I heard its an aluminium unit. Not sure of the Air Cooled Bonnies. I have been using the Bottle Jack along with the side stand for around 3 years now for Chain Cleaning and did not notice anything yet.

But yes, will keep watch. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Front wheel to be locked either by tying down the front brake lever or by using a lever to jam the front wheel accross the spokes brake disc.
They provide a Velcro band to enable the front brakes. You can see it when you zoom in to one of the photos

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd March 2019 at 11:29. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post if re-posting within 30 minutes. Thanks.
Old 24th May 2019, 15:44   #1092
Senior - BHPian

Finally, took the plunge and bought a Tec Bike parts center stand for the Bonnie. Installed it yesterday at home. The rear wheel is lifted off the ground which was the primary need for chain maintenance. However, its not easy to pull the bike on to the stand like, say, a Bullet. Also, with a firm push from behind its easy for the bike to be pushed off the stand, so not very safe if you leave it unattended. I would not be at ease. I guess the side stand will continue to be my primary stand with the center being used for maintenance work or places where people do not meddle with it. Useful addition, all the same.

Also, ordered the Triumph Booster Plug that got delivered today. Will install it over the weekend and give a feedback.

https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/tri...-air-41c1.html
Attached Thumbnails
My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-bonnie.jpg  

dinu2506 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 17:12   #1093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also, ordered the Triumph Booster Plug that got delivered today. Will install it over the weekend and give a feedback.

https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/tri...-air-41c1.html
That am really waiting on! I read a lot about the booster plug fix for my Monster821 and was tempted to order it but held back after mixed feedback. Let me know if it improves the bikes response at low rpm.
Old 27th May 2019, 17:46   #1094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
That am really waiting on! I read a lot about the booster plug fix for my Monster821 and was tempted to order it but held back after mixed feedback. Let me know if it improves the bikes response at low rpm.
Ok, here is the initial feedback on the Booster Plug. Installation was a breeze and pretty straight-forward. Positioning and tying it down using zip ties is left to you. True Plug and Play.
In terms of performance I think it delivers what it promises - ie smooth out the low speed snatchiness typical of modern fuel injected machines. You get an old school carburated feel to the bike in a good way. Basically it tricks the ECU giving a cooler than normal Air Intake reading thus ensuring a richer fuel air mix. Those who love the relaxed low speed rides in the city, this really helps. Me being that type, perfectly met what I wanted of it. Those looking for high rpm rides, you may not feel much difference. Most of my riding is inside the city and this has really transformed the bike. Whether its worth the close to 13K I spent for it, for me, I guess it is yes. But it may not be the same for all.
Attached Thumbnails
My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_2838.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_2839.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_2841.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_2842.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_2844.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_2845.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_2846.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_2849.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_2850.jpg  

My Triumph Bonneville. EDIT: Sold!-img_2851.jpg  

dinu2506 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 08:56   #1095
Senior - BHPian

I should say I'm starting to love my relaxed city rides even more. This has really improved the low speed responses. I also brought back to stock the Secondary Air Injection, that I had removed to improve the throttle snatchiness.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks