Team-BHP - Harley Davidson Iron 883 - Beauty in the Beast
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Harley Davidson Iron 883 - Beauty in the Beast (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/148326-harley-davidson-iron-883-beauty-beast-3.html)

HOG ride : United India Ride and BF at Vivanta by Taj

There is nothing better to kick start your Sunday than a thundering HOG ride for a cause followed by a sumptuous breakfast. Happy to be part of the United India Ride - Corporate sponsored cycling event in Gurgaon. The Capital chapter was giving a special appearance :)

Getting out of bed at 5:30 am was bit of a pain but the day made up for it. Awesome double ride of 29KM on the Gurgaon - Faridabad road. The weather gods were kind and the group made up of over 50 bikers graced the scene. Harley had also put up a stall with the 750 on display.

Harley Davidson Iron 883 - Beauty in the Beast-c360_20140323082517641.jpg

Harley Davidson Iron 883 - Beauty in the Beast-c360_20140323070608112.jpg
The red looked hot in person...but personally didn't find it as appealing visually. It did feel a bit petite.

Harley Davidson Iron 883 - Beauty in the Beast-c360_20140323070615274.jpg

Harley Davidson Iron 883 - Beauty in the Beast-c360_20140323091743605.jpg

Harley Davidson Iron 883 - Beauty in the Beast-c360_20140323091751465.jpg

Also had a chat with the chapter director who confirmed of my last update on limited membership. Incidentally Capital is the first mover here and as I hear other chapters will follow this model soon as well.

Shubz, Ebonho - Happy gyming gentlemen! I see the muscle bikes are spawning some muscle men :uncontrol Enjoy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC_genius (Post 3396996)

Also had a chat with the chapter director who confirmed of my last update on limited membership. Incidentally Capital is the first mover here and as I hear other chapters will follow this model soon as well.

Shubz, Ebonho - Happy gyming gentlemen! I see the muscle bikes are spawning some muscle men :uncontrol Enjoy.

AC sir,

I had a chat with my local chapter director too. Something like that is in the making and should be out soon. I would wholeheartedly be a part of it. I believe the membership would include discount on merchandise, P&A and LABOR too!! This besides some discounts on affiliated hotel chains etc. :)

Hey AC genius, thanks for the post with the HOG membership charges.

Can you please upload a video of your Screamin Eagles exhaust? It would be really helpful :)

Another Sunday, Another Taj!

Been a while since I got some time for myself...so picking up a quick weekend Sunday brunch ride. I have to say these rides are better than any alarm clock. My body clock automatically makes me get up at 5am and after the necessities off to the ride.

The start is from the Delhi showroom at Vasant Kunj so bit of a solo ride to get there from Gurgaon. Have to say NH8 (The airport road for the delhi uninitiated) is a bliss at that time of the day. A thought provoking ride with the beast with exchanges of V-twin humm and my contributory "oh-yeah!!

Reached the showroom in about 30 min. A big friendly welcome from the staff and the slow trickle of people that reaches some 50+ in the next 15 min.

Harley Davidson Iron 883 - Beauty in the Beast-c360_20140406065302424.jpg

The destination was the new Taj Vivanta at Surajkund. The property was erstwhile Claridges before being rechristened. The route was from Vasant Kunj via NH8 on to the Faridabad road with destination at Surajkund. Brilliant weather and brilliant ride...need I say more.

Harley Davidson Iron 883 - Beauty in the Beast-c360_20140406084852722.jpg
Harley Davidson Iron 883 - Beauty in the Beast-c360_20140406084857550.jpg
Harley Davidson Iron 883 - Beauty in the Beast-c360_20140406084904249.jpg

Amber whisky as a color is really picking up. Had 4 other 2014 amber whisky IRONs in the group. Made friends with some rather fine people and started our iron HOG whatsapp group. Fun times ahead clap: Sumptuous meal and interesting chats closed the breakfast.

Ride back was uneventful except just when I was about to reach home, out of the blues happens the silliest and the most unexpected thing. I was probably doing about 80 kmph and in comes a near invisible pothole on the road and despite my best effort I had to go through it. Impressed myself with the IRON's ability to handle and brake hard but was surprised with a thud on the ground. A quick stop and inspection revealed that my encounter with the bad road patch had loosened the battery cover which was now lying on the road battered and bruised :Frustrati

Now I love my ride and when stuff like this happens you can't help but exchange a truck load of cuss words at your luck and the road. Such care and now I was holding the side cover which had some serious road rash. Called up Harley guys who said this could happen with Sportster models as the cover doesn't have screws. Suggested I should Tie-wrap or something so such accidents don't happen. Anyone who has done this?

Nonetheless, it was a pain to see those scratches so with a bit of research and references found a guy called Raja Paints in Gurgaon. These guys do some real good stuff and with a bit of filling, painting and polish restored it to its former glory in just 800 bucks, Their ability to match paint was stupendous. Highly recommended.

Good experience and learning in the bargain. Happy riding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC_genius (Post 3416138)

I was about to reach home, out of the blues happens the silliest and the most unexpected thing. I was probably doing about 80 kmph and in comes a near invisible pothole on the road and despite my best effort I had to go through it. Impressed myself with the IRON's ability to handle and brake hard but was surprised with a thud on the ground. A quick stop and inspection revealed that my encounter with the bad road patch had loosened the battery cover which was now lying on the road battered and bruised :Frustrati

The Side covers have Two locking inserts attached to its upper edge, most of the time Just one of the inserts is actually locked in with its counterpart of frame, the other one not fully inserted/locked. Hitting the side cover with your palm with both inserts lined up at their respective counters makes the side cover nice and tight to come off.
However to prevent naughty people from getting away with the side cover of your ride while in unattended parking or prevent such accidents on road, I would recommend you make some positive locking arrangement for it. Simplest would be Zip ties ( Side cover already has a Slot at TOP Engine side edge)

The similarities between the Harley and the Bullet truly boggle the mind.

Falling battery covers is very common to Bullets as well.

So are falling silencer pipes.

Wonder when we will start hearing of those ......

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 3417736)
The similarities between the Harley and the Bullet truly boggle the mind.

Falling battery covers is very common to Bullets as well.

So are falling silencer pipes.

Wonder when we will start hearing of those ......

Gave me a shock for sure my friend. While I won't start a witchhunt for the Harley-Davidson brand :) but this is surely one more to the list of the HD quirks. Under the circumstances not sure if I am special or other HOGs have had similar experiences. Comments welcome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC_genius (Post 3417800)
Gave me a shock for sure my friend. While I won't start a witchhunt for the Harley-Davidson brand :) but this is surely one more to the list of the HD quirks. Under the circumstances not sure if I am special or other HOGs have had similar experiences. Comments welcome.

There is nothing to be shocked about bro. Like Bullets, Harleys vibrate.

And things eventually get loose and fall off or shear off due to metal fatigue.

No witch hunt at all. But does put things into perspective for those who pooh poh Bullet quality and eulogise that of the Harleys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC_genius (Post 3417800)

it happened to me once, the battery cover coming off, off the top two notches. But it did not fall off/shatter.

I can bet, unlike the BULLETS, nothing else from this machine would fall off. I haven't heard anything falling off off a Harley as far as I can remember/recall besides another buddy having had this "issue" of battery cover coming off the notch.

A simple realignment and tapping with the palm firmly has fixed it. I went on a 240+ kms ride on Sunday, nothing fell off.

I should try dustom's suggestion of fastening them with zip ties.

Even one thing falling off, is one thing too many for a bike that demands a price purely on quality and attention to detail.

If things are falling off, then that is something that should not be happening.

Any bets are only worth the paper they are written on till the next time something else falls off a Harley.

I think short of the pillion falling off, its got to do with the bike and the bike only. Lets call a spade a spade please Shubz.

And AC thanks and kudos for being honest. That's what communities are for. :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 3417862)
Even one thing falling off, is one thing too many for a bike that demands a price purely on quality and attention to detail.

If things are falling off, then that is something that should not be happening.

Any bets are only worth the paper they are written on till the next time something else falls off a Harley.

I think short of the pillion falling off, its got to do with the bike and the bike only. Lets call a spade a spade please Shubz.

Sure doc, I'd love to call spade a spade, particularly with your incessant bashing of HD and comparing it to a Bullet.

A side cover falling off and you want to go gaga over "bad quality" of Harley and compare it to a bullet where many more things other than the battery cover fall off.

So please come with facts if you know of any other Harleys where suspension has fallen off, exhausts have fallen off, headlights have fallen off, tank has fallen off.. Anything else I have failed to include in the list of "fallen off's" :)

If you ride rash over overtly bad roads, chances are even you and I could fall off the bike. (this is in a lighter vein) <smile>

I am sure the odds of the above mentioned thing/s falling off is not limited to Harley alone. Do you agree? or do you want to go about another round of bashing with your impeccable use of English language? (this is not being sarcastic, I mean it, I love the way you write)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shubz (Post 3417871)
Sure doc, I'd love to call spade a spade, particularly with your incessant bashing of HD and comparing it to a Bullet.

A side cover falling off and you want to go gaga over "bad quality" of Harley and compare it to a bullet where many more things other than the battery cover fall off.

So please come with facts if you know of any other Harleys where suspension has fallen off, exhausts have fallen off, headlights have fallen off, tank has fallen off.. Anything else I have failed to include in the list of "fallen off's" :)

If you ride rash over overtly bad roads, chances are even you and I could fall off the bike. (this is in a lighter vein) <smile>

I am sure the odds of the above mentioned thing/s falling off is not limited to Harley alone. Do you agree? or do you want to go about another round of bashing with your impeccable use of English language? (this is not being sarcastic, I mean it, I love the way you write)

I think we both know who my post is targeted at. Its one thing to appreciate something about your bike. Quite another to pump it up at the expense of another. In this case (quality), the victime being the Bullets - which are sold at a fraction of the cost. Remember my statement somewhere earlier that give Bullet the same budget, and they could also build the same quality? Well, what's Harley's excuse when it has the budget, but parts are still faling off?

Parts do not fall off a bike unless they are not properly anchored and/or break away due to stress or vibrations.

On a Bullet, the things I have heard off (and seen) falling of:

1) Battery box
2) Horn brackets
3) Rear number plate/tail light assembly (full thing -lock stock and smoking barrel)
4) Silencer

Thamks for the kind words on my writing. Appreciate the appreciation. :D

Doc,

I once again reiterate, its just the cover jumping off the hook. Simple as that. Honestly without deriding any brand and upmanship of Harley alone, I cannot recall anyone else reporting anything else falling off.

Yes, One guy have had the horn clips jumping off.
Another had a horn malfunction and rectifier blown - Reason - he went to some local store and got a desi jugaad "security system" and the ECU went crazy/Rectifier didn't know what to do etc and he had an ECU failure :)

Some have had "Clutch burn" on almost new Harley's - Reason - they are new riders, used to "Half clutch" - when at the time of delivery, they emphasize on "Do not ride on half clutch" and yet they disregard the same.

Digital speedo malfunction - because of some incompetence at the service center in not fixing it properly, not callibrating it etc.

I'd really be curious to know if any one else have had "manufacturing" issues in general. One off cases I guess we can do away with (may be a lemon)

In the Bullet also the batery box falls off because the plastic tuddi of the lock either breaks off or gets dislodge from the slot and the battery box comes off the two smal prongs on top. The next you know it, you reach your destination and find no battery box.

Kudos to the NVH and muted sound of the Harleys that you could hear the battery box falling off. Rarely have I heard of any Bulleteer even realising when his has fallen off. The senses are so numbed (literally) by the sensory overload ..... LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 3417890)
In the Bullet also the batery box falls off because the plastic tuddi of the lock either breaks off or gets dislodge from the slot and the battery box comes off the two smal prongs on top. The next you know it, you reach your destination and find no battery box.

Kudos to the NVH and muted sound of the Harleys that you could hear the battery box falling off. Rarely have I heard of any Bulleteer even realising when his has fallen off. The senses are so numbed (literally) by the sensory overload ..... LOL

lol:

The two or three cases that I know of - battery cover coming off the notch, the cover has hung on to the bottom hinge as its a U hook and it takes some prying to get it off.

If it has fallen off, it means the bike has gone through real rough road and the cover has sheared even off the lower hook.