Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2014, 11:39   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Harley Street 750 Test Ride: Handling, Exhaust Note & more

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
no plans for india is the rumour .

Reason - street 500 is intentionally tuned to deliver only 33 bhp so that it qualifies as a Beginners bike abroad. Europe has a policy dictating a bike has to be rated below 34bhp to qualify as a beginner bike. The motorcycle can generate in excess of 40 bhp otherwise. There exists versions for training courses with the speed in the first and 2nd gear electronically limited as well.

In india , a beginner bike is a 100/150cc bike so the street 500 has no place in our market.
Let them launch even the restricted 500 for under (max) 3 lacs.

Bye bye Bullet 500s.
Old 14th April 2014, 13:20   #197
BHPian

I hope they dont, I dont want it to be pulsar 150/180 all over again, coz I think there would be no body/design changes as such...
Old 14th April 2014, 13:41   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhimanyu_singh View Post
I hope they dont, I dont want it to be pulsar 150/180 all over again, coz I think there would be no body/design changes as such...
The advantage though coulld be that you could potentially claim those are not the "real" Harleys, and indirectly then slide into the "real" Harley fraternity by default since you now no longer would be the cheapest and smallest Harley.

In industry terms this could be the opposite of what we also call backward integration - backward segregation.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 14:02   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The advantage though coulld be that you could potentially claim those are not the "real" Harleys, and indirectly then slide into the "real" Harley fraternity by default since you now no longer would be the cheapest and smallest Harley.

In industry terms this could be the opposite of what we also call backward integration - backward segregation.
Hmm, I doubt that'll work, it could work with the sportster series, rather is working
Old 14th April 2014, 14:24   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm, I doubt that'll work, it could work with the sportster series, rather is working
It'll work. Everyone has aspirational motivations to their purchases. So just like you do not want to loose exclusivity by having smaller and cheaper bikes looking like yours, similarly no one wants to be at the bottom of the cost heap for a brand. Be it Maruti 800 or Harleys. And everyone wants to "belong" and be "accepted" as the "real" deal .....
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 14:40   #201
BHPian

^^ I think you are right, maybe then people will fabricate their own rules and specifications to satisfy their ego, something like <750cc aint a real "harley" or something...just saying
abhimanyu_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 14:46   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^ I think you are right, maybe then people will fabricate their own rules and specifications to satisfy their ego, something like <750cc aint a real "harley" or something...just saying
Exactly right. Moving goalposts. But one of the prime requirements to segregate and have a cut off line is to have something on the other side of the line. Bottom dwellers want to belong. Those just above want to show a differentiation. And exclude.

Ever wondered how every generation says "oh in our times things were better" or "we saw the last of xyz, and things were never the same afterwards"?

Seeing as to I have seen quite a number of generations mouthing exactly the same lines, makes me wonder and believe in the theory I have postulated above .....

Doc's Theory of Backward Segregation.
Old 15th April 2014, 10:51   #203
BHPian

Every single person who has reviewed this motorcycle has bad things to say about brakes and rear view mirror . Another user review of the 500 this time , similar tone as every 750 review -

http://www.cyclefish.com/Lucky/blog/3170/

The person mentions he got the feeling harley did not carry out proper testing and that got me thinking he might be right , how else does one explains useless RVM for example ? utter disregard or they were not aware of it until told by others ? Don't know about others but I find it hard to take it for granted the internals of the engine are high standard and reliable . You look at the tank and you can clearly see the joint between the two halves of the petrol tank(first time I have seen in a motorcycle that I can recall ) , what is to say that they adopted similar execution within the engine as well . Or offering 3 different colors but not having the time or courtesy to finish the headlight cowl same as rest of the body - not sure how a gloss black cowl will fit in with a gloss red bike or especially the matte black finish .

Last edited by basuroy : 15th April 2014 at 10:54.
Old 15th April 2014, 12:16   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Every single person who has reviewed this motorcycle has bad things to say about brakes and rear view mirror . Another user review of the 500 this time , similar tone as every 750 review -

http://www.cyclefish.com/Lucky/blog/3170/

The person mentions he got the feeling harley did not carry out proper testing and that got me thinking he might be right , how else does one explains useless RVM for example ? utter disregard or they were not aware of it until told by others ? Don't know about others but I find it hard to take it for granted the internals of the engine are high standard and reliable . You look at the tank and you can clearly see the joint between the two halves of the petrol tank(first time I have seen in a motorcycle that I can recall ) , what is to say that they adopted similar execution within the engine as well . Or offering 3 different colors but not having the time or courtesy to finish the headlight cowl same as rest of the body - not sure how a gloss black cowl will fit in with a gloss red bike or especially the matte black finish .

Some valid comments there Basu, however I would still urge you to try it out once. Somehow I didnt notice the petrol tank think, dont know why. Nonetheless I hope for their own sake that they devoted ample amount of time on engine and performance and maybe not so much in some other areas, which could be improved IMO. I am willing to pay extra $$ if they come with an optional ABS option. Lets wait and watch if we get an improved version (production piece).

I think you should get the test ride and wait for the ownership reports here before booking it or not booking it.
abhimanyu_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 12:17   #205
Senior - BHPian

Rishad Cooper drives the 750 to 175 kph!! http://m.autocarindia.com/?redirect=381197

Quite a achievement and eye opener I would say!!
Old 15th April 2014, 12:38   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Some valid comments there Basu, however I would still urge you to try it out once. Somehow I didnt notice the petrol tank think, dont know why. Nonetheless I hope for their own sake that they devoted ample amount of time on engine and performance and maybe not so much in some other areas, which could be improved IMO. I am willing to pay extra $$ if they come with an optional ABS option. Lets wait and watch if we get an improved version (production piece).

I think you should get the test ride and wait for the ownership reports here before booking it or not booking it.
Don't get me wrong , this bike still remains a priority target . Since this is a 100% luxury purchase for me ( honestly speaking , I don't need that kind of power or for that matter a new motorcycle right now ) so trying to be sure in my head before I go ahead. Only a test ride can make me not go for it but I was under the impression that the final delivery bike will resolve some of the issues with brake being one, reason being harley calling their bike pre-production so far. One person from jaipur is getting his bike this week , lets see if he notices any difference . It is because this is the only product I'm in for so the extra critical approach , I can (all things considered) accept a less than perfect product but prefer not to find more flaws later into ownership

And I agree with you on that ABS should have been an option , I'm not used to this kind of power and my experience with the only ABS bike I have tried so far ( CBR 250 ) was very good . It might become an option soon as I read europe mandates every motorcycle to have ABS as stock in immediate future .

Last edited by basuroy : 15th April 2014 at 12:39.
Old 15th April 2014, 13:06   #207
BHPian

This week, that's too soon, how did he manage that, I was told that nothing will come out before June.
Old 15th April 2014, 14:07   #208
vcx
BHPian

Yes, Hyderabad dealer confirms that the bikes would be delivered as soon as end of April or May for sure.

They are calling up all those you have paid initial booking amount and have expressed interests.

Quote:
You look at the tank and you can clearly see the joint between the two halves of the petrol tank(first time I have seen in a motorcycle that I can recall ).
basuroy, this is the first time I am witnessing anything like this and I am sure to have not come across this during my TD of Street 750 and also visiting to see the bike on display.

Could be exclusive to US market for 500 CC end of the day, quality niggles would keep popping up as the initial exciting of performance views settles to looking at the overall picture.

Last edited by mobike008 : 16th April 2014 at 08:35. Reason: Back to back posts. Please read rules of forum and comply...thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 14:48   #209
BHPian

Quote:
This week, that's too soon, how did he manage that, I was told that nothing will come out before June.
Arpil 17th to be exact , he even posted the mail(he was first person to book at jaipur) . My guess is they delivering some limited number of bikes for better coverage through social media etc etc . He also said delhi has already started delivery today while another person from mumbai says the dealer there is about to receive and deliver 10 bikes by end of this week . Source - street 750 forum .

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
basuroy, this is the first time I am witnessing anything like this and I am sure to have not come across this during my TD of Street 750 and also visiting to see the bike on display.

Could be exclusive to US market for 500 CC end of the day, quality niggles would keep popping up as the initial exciting of performance views settles to looking at the overall picture.
Even I don't recall observing it myself( I was very excited though when I looked at it , you know the initial euphoria ) when I visited the showroom though it has since been pointed out(with pictures) in certain reviews both home and abroad , it is the type of thing that you won't notice outright but once you do , you can't shake it out of your head. The link above you can see the joint clearly in 2 different bikes .
basuroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 15:03   #210
BHPian

Man, it seems I'm always ill informed about the dates and all. Even I never noticed the tank issue, rather I loved the matt black tank and its finish. Anyways I look forward to the actual production bike and some really good ownership reports here soon.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks