Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2014, 17:42   #16
BHPian

Re: Harley Street 750 Test Ride: Handling, Exhaust Note & more

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrena View Post

Acceleration is really strong and with just a light touch lots of things. Bike picks up speed and before you know it you’re neatly doing a ton on the speedo and very quickly after you know the top speed is coming.
Good to hear that it reaches the ton very quickly, will make a lot of people who doubted this bike.

Quote:

I need a heel-toe shifter. I love my shoes and I really need that to be an option which isn’t the case right now. Getting ready for some fabrication once I get this piece.
Fabrication of the same may prove quite a job since there seems to be many linkages involved.

Last edited by slicvic : 18th March 2014 at 17:45.
Old 18th March 2014, 18:29   #17
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing, Adrena. Although I am disappointed that the post is 70% about wiring loom and the performance aspect barely managed to get a line in.

Quote:
Coming to the foot controls, I think these are set a bit too far back for a cruiser. They’re more in the aggressive sports bike area. Not that I’m complaining but I’m unsure about their usefulness in daily office runs
Are you saying this configuration (footpegs set back a bit as opposed to barcalounger type forward controls) will be a problem whilst commuting? Care to elaborate?

A friend of mine had forward controls on his T-bird done (Tashan; you see. Makes you look more of a man). I swear to god; the damn bike was so unstable. You cant grip the tank with your thighs and do not feel connected to the bike. Its quite an un-natural feeling.

Quote:
I’m gonna make this quick as it was a short 7km run on mixed roads – Highway, couple of twists, some traffic, a red light and return.

Street 750 is meant for the urban crawl and this bike does that really well. It gets off the line clean and easy. Clutch is light, progressive and precise. Acceleration is really strong and with just a light touch lots of things. Bike picks up speed and before you know it you’re neatly doing a ton on the speedo and very quickly after you know the top speed is coming
Boy; you weren't kidding when you said this would be quick

Any seat of the pants guesstimates on 0-100? What was the top speed you were able to hit? Tried Braking hard? General brake feel?

Quote:
I need a heel-toe shifter. I love my shoes and I really need that to be an option which isn’t the case right now. Getting ready for some fabrication once I get this piece.
Do you plan to ride with your dressy formal shoes? If yes; I am also going to assume the rest of the "riding attire" would be a shirt and dress pants. Bad idea mate. Please wear proper riding gear for your own safety.

And once you start using the toe shifter; you would not want to go back to shifting with the heel. I find that the shifts are a lot more precise using the toe as opposed to heel. Even on my bullet; I do not use my heel shifter. Bullets have a nasty habit (or at least mine does) of finding neutrals that dont exist. With toe shifts; this problem has (almost) disappeared.

Regarding your work clothes - Invest in a good tail bag and keep you formals tucked into it. Once you get to work; change into crisp, non smelly and clean formal wear.

OT:

No offesnse meant to you; but I find people wearing formals on these (relatively) high performance bikes just plain silly. Wear the right attire for the right occassion. You will be safe, comfortable and look cool too.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 18:44   #18
BHPian

Quote:
this is a canvas waiting for customisation. Shouldn't be too tough to change (correct). I'll attempt for sure.
True. Saw a few HD's with added foot pegs. Though one looked funny. Too high placed onto the crash guard installed on the 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
makes it stand-out in crowd.

Was surprised to this as I thought HD's are made in black only!
Agreed, but this itself becomes a problem, ask any HD owner. People get attracted, some will climb on to get pics clicked & invariably it gets toppled over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
I also came across a first review on street 500 in another website, the focus expressing concern in quality of finish, while the performance, handling & engine departments do make a mark pointing in 750 it would be way better.
think this is the same case as faced while buying RE Thunderbird. That extra oomph for a little extra

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_genius View Post
I am sure some of these shortcomings are easily fixed in production.
The one thing I am not so sure of is the exhaust sound. This "potato" is the spirit of the rumble!
Exposed wiring issues were pointed out by people & in reviews of the auto expo, but still hasn't been incorporated. Think they'll just let this be.

The exhaust note may come in with the necessary accessories (read exhaust various stages) i think.
Old 18th March 2014, 20:45   #19
BHPian

One can't seriously expect an engine to redline at 8000 rpm and still emit the potato-potato sound . This is a mini v-rod with healthy attention being spent on performance ,so far good to hear they have not sacrificed any in the name of exhaust note.

Exposed/untidy wiring and the cheap footpegs are simply unacceptable.
Old 18th March 2014, 22:27   #20
vcx
BHPian

I have reached to HD India folks through Facebook , pointing them on some absurd quality, packaging aspects, braking and so was also a concern similarly voiced by my other friend who had booked this vehicle in Hyderabad.

While HD are yet to revert to my note, but in reference to the booking details, they came back as

"Hi Thank you for your feedback. We assure you that all our products are world class and are built according to global standards. The Harley-Davidson Street 750 is an authentic Harley-Davidson that's premium to the last detail. We look forward to riding with you soon. Cheers!"

I would certainly say this is answered by Marketing folks typing some generic replies. Harley Davidson India wake up, Just doing an over screaming badging, and good engine doesn't fly. India needs world class products with quality in overall offering.

They seriously need to check its suppliers for quality, the FZ's Duke's are offering much better fit and finish and every the recently launched Hyosung Aquila 250 too is better in overall fit for nearly or less than half price.

People who are looking to own this, suggest hold on. In the current form with these issues observed, brought, and raised- NO-GO, unless HD wakes up and aligns to live up to its image.
vcx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 11:18   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the recently launched Hyosung Aquila 250 too is better in overall fit for nearly or less than half price.

People who are looking to own this, suggest hold on. In the current form with these issues observed, brought, and raised- NO-GO, unless HD wakes up and aligns to live up to its image.
Agree with you. Here are a couple of pics from the internet comparing the Aquila 250 and Street 750

Quality difference is obvious and no prizes for guessing which manafacturer scores better in that department
Attached Thumbnails
Harley Street 750 Test Ride: Handling, Exhaust Note & more-kinetichyosungaquilagv250.jpg  

Harley Street 750 Test Ride: Handling, Exhaust Note & more-2014harleydavidsonstreet750picimagephoto24022014m2_560x420.jpg  

Old 19th March 2014, 12:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

Harley-Davidson Street 750 First Ride Review

Disappointing...
dkaile is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 12:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Totally agree! Pathetic show by HD! I am still curious to see the production model in flesh. I have seen a few at IBW and the one on display at the showroom and I was told that these are pre-prod bikes when I pointed out the same flaws that we all have noticed out here.

I'd be curious to look at the bikes that are actually going to be handed over to customers.
Old 19th March 2014, 12:41   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Thanks for sharing, Adrena. Although I am disappointed that the post is 70% about wiring loom and the performance aspect barely managed to get a line in. .
Thanks. The ride was barely 7km or about 10 mins if you will. I don’t think I would do justice to write too much about the performance other than the fact that this bike does feel like a proper brute with a lot of get up and go.

Quote:
Are you saying this configuration (footpegs set back a bit as opposed to barcalounger type forward controls) will be a problem whilst commuting? Care to elaborate?
The handlebar-seat-footpeg config is more like a racer than something easy like an Avenger (something I ride daily). Footpegs moved ahead a couple of inches will make this a properly nice bike to ride. Forward controls won’t work on this as it is already a fairly front heavy machine. That’ll just spoil the ride like you mentioned.

Quote:
Boy; you weren't kidding when you said this would be quick

Any seat of the pants guesstimates on 0-100? What was the top speed you were able to hit? Tried Braking hard? General brake feel?
I was given a bike that had done just 79kms on the clock so of course it was crisp and new. Didn’t want to push the bike too hard. I was essentially nursing the brand new bike trying to get a good feel before any hard pushing happened. I can say that I had to be very careful with the throttle and there was at least one moment where I felt I squeezed it too far. It did a hundred before I could see what happened. One thing I can add is that I slotted this thing into 6th gear, dropped it down to about 40kmph and cleanly throttled up beyond 140 without any knocking or delay. That part was really really sweet.

Quote:
Do you plan to ride with your dressy formal shoes? If yes; I am also going to assume the rest of the "riding attire" would be a shirt and dress pants. Bad idea mate. Please wear proper riding gear for your own safety.
I plan to use this daily. However, working for an ad agency does have its liberties. So no not dressy formals but yes, casual leathers. Jacket, gloves etc. are always on.

Quote:
And once you start using the toe shifter; you would not want to go back to shifting with the heel. I find that the shifts are a lot more precise using the toe as opposed to heel. Even on my bullet; I do not use my heel shifter. Bullets have a nasty habit (or at least mine does) of finding neutrals that dont exist. With toe shifts; this problem has (almost) disappeared.
Toe shifter is not happening mate. I’ve ridden my RD350 for years but I’ve grown out of it. Toe-heel just takes the guess work out of what is already a very slick shifting box. No offence, but Bullets and all of their nasty habits are no compare here. All my bikes have been easy shifting and that was one of the first things I checked on this bike.

Quote:
I have reached to HD India folks through Facebook , pointing them on some absurd quality, packaging aspects, braking and so was also a concern similarly voiced by my other friend who had booked this vehicle in Hyderabad.
Thanks a ton for this. I’ll try to reach them too. Keeping fingers crossed that this is a temporary thing else I’ll have to bust out the toolkit and get things done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Good to hear that it reaches the ton very quickly, will make a lot of people who doubted this bike.

Fabrication of the same may prove quite a job since there seems to be many linkages involved.
Yup… Excellent acceleration with amazing torque but top end speeds need to be tested.
adrena is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 12:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The photos prove it. The bike is seriously small.

But what is really disappointing about the writeup is that he goes on and on about wires and speedo and paint and brakes and tyres other stuff, and hardly anything on how it moves.

This is a Harley built on a budget. Nothing new there. So Indian components and vendor sourcing is expected. Don't know what the fuss about the wires and sockets is frankly. As long as its not getting crimped anywhere, or grounding anywhere, its just cosmetic. Jeez!

This bike will sell on its engine. But will lose sales on its size. The sound thing people will quickly find a Indian jugaad workaround to. If Harley Tax does not get there first.

Last edited by ebonho : 19th March 2014 at 12:57.
Old 19th March 2014, 13:35   #26
BHPian

Hate the two parts:

1. Cheap Horn
2. Cheap bulb indicators

I am not a guy who would do any modifications on a new purchase, i was planning to opt for one but the two factors are a real turn off for me.
Old 19th March 2014, 13:55   #27
BHPian

If you look at the clutch lever and its finishing, it is the worst victim of cost cutting. The fit and finish of the clutch is from the TVS-50 era.

The harley style trademark levers which are present on all models from superlow to fatboy are missing here.

Even the clutch action is not firm, progressive and heavy. It is more like an on/off switch.
Old 19th March 2014, 14:21   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

But what is really disappointing about the writeup is that he goes on and on about wires and speedo and paint and brakes and tyres other stuff, and hardly anything on how it moves.

This is a Harley built on a budget. Nothing new there. So Indian components and vendor sourcing is expected. Don't know what the fuss about the wires and sockets is frankly. As long as its not getting crimped anywhere, or grounding anywhere, its just cosmetic. Jeez!

This bike will sell on its engine. But will lose sales on its size. The sound thing people will quickly find a Indian jugaad workaround to. If Harley Tax does not get there first.
Doc, for once I liked the Motorbeam review as it was quite impartial and they have covered the performance, Ride and Handling characteristics reasonably well ( Ofcourse, only after spending quite a few paragraphs on wiring and poor quality). Infact, they closed the review with a NO-GO verdict which is rather refreshing in these times

To summarize, its a decent bike with good performance and decent ride and handling characteristics but, with glaring quality issues

But, what remains to be seen is if Indian buyers are desperate enough to plonk their hard earned money into this motorcycle despite knowing it's poor quality product with such small dimensions (shocked to see its size due to which it looks quite awkward) just to be part of Harley Davidson culture

I reckon only sales figures can tell us the real story !!!
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 14:24   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the review link.

Quote:

Off late, my wife has been pestering me to buy a bike that can seat her too; I guess I did one too many road trips all alone (and happily so ). This launch piped my interest very much as the package seemed perfect - I can't rip with her as pillion, so needed something that cruises comfortably and still gives some joy if I take it out alone. The review nearly kills it for me. I say 'nearly' as final judgement should be after a personal test ride.
And the reason are the brakes. No good brakes, me no buy! I can live with exposed wiring, no spring on foot pegs, 80s indicator bulbs and the obviously diminutive size (for a Harley). Heck, I'll change the tyres right at the showroom to Michelins or Pirellis. But to redo the whole braking system is too much to ask after paying ~5L.
And on the review not talking about how it moves - I never trust them reviewers till I ride it myself anyway.
niranjanrvce is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 14:38   #30
BHPian

Quote:

I would say, you are missing a big point. Being the brakes, which he refers to as being sub-standard. For me, safety is a priority when buying a vehicle and inefficient brakes are a disaster waiting to happen.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks