Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2014, 15:51   #31
BHPian

Re: Harley Street 750 Test Ride: Handling, Exhaust Note & more

Good thing I didn't book this POS . Wanted a bike really in this segment and was even ready to put up with the exposed wiring for the sake of performance which is very good but reading about how it uses forks and brakes from a vendor that bajaj themselves don't feel good enough was the deal breaker for me . If this is the quality outside , I simply don't expect any better inside the motor . When I looked at it and sat on it , it felt acceptable after I slacked my standards(because of no other option) but forks and brakes are critical parts , I didn't know or bother about checking their brands but flabbergasted to read they even stooped to unacceptable standards in that dept.

Size I dont know why it looks so small in pics , I'm 6'1 and it felt adequate when I was astride the bike . My dad told me the bike looked fine though the small front tyre lends to a visually diminished size . It is almost like a scooter from the front , I mean the tyres.

PS: the review has a healthy portion dedicated to performance and handling , infact the review is well composed in chronological order , the visual appeal always comes before the ride and the review simply follows how he felt about the bike.

Last edited by basuroy : 19th March 2014 at 15:59.
basuroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 02:39   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
Thanks for the review link.

Off late, my wife has been pestering me to buy a bike that can seat her too; I guess I did one too many road trips all alone (and happily so ). This launch piped my interest very much as the package seemed perfect - I can't rip with her as pillion, so needed something that cruises comfortably and still gives some joy if I take it out alone. The review nearly kills it for me. I say 'nearly' as final judgement should be after a personal test ride.
And the reason are the brakes. No good brakes, me no buy! I can live with exposed wiring, no spring on foot pegs, 80s indicator bulbs and the obviously diminutive size (for a Harley). Heck, I'll change the tyres right at the showroom to Michelins or Pirellis. But to redo the whole braking system is too much to ask after paying ~5L.
And on the review not talking about how it moves - I never trust them reviewers till I ride it myself anyway.
I highly doubt this is a 2 person bike, at least for long distance rides . The 883 is closest option in HD @8.xxLac ex-showroom. Dkaile has recently posted photos with a pillion and will give you an idea of same. Next would be Triumph T100.

If you want the cruiser look, i would think the Suzuki M800 would be next best option at 10.5 lac ex. I've personally got the Triumph Bonnevile , and find this bike isnt suitable with a pillion for more than 200kms/day.
Old 20th March 2014, 10:52   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
I highly doubt this is a 2 person bike, at least for long distance rides .
Please elaborate. I was thinking getting a bigger rear seat with a backrest would make it a good option. The bike is reviewed to have good ride quality so far.

Quote:
The 883 is closest option in HD @8.xxLac ex-showroom. Dkaile has recently posted photos with a pillion and will give you an idea of same. Next would be Triumph T100.
The roadsters (883, 48) are known to have very stiff rides, especially at the rear. A friend bought along a 48 on a ride and I liked the looks - but the ride and GC was unpalatable.

Quote:
If you want the cruiser look, i would think the Suzuki M800 would be next best option at 10.5 lac ex. I've personally got the Triumph Bonnevile , and find this bike isnt suitable with a pillion for more than 200kms/day.
The M800 is a truck, a slow one at that
Please elaborate on why the Bonnie is not a good choice for long pillion rides! I am surprised at this - I saw a bigger seat with backrest as optional accessories by Triumph for the Bonnie and everything else (ride, power, handling, GC) fits in so perfectly.
Old 20th March 2014, 11:16   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was thinking getting a bigger rear seat with a backrest would make it a good option. The bike is reviewed to have good ride quality so far.

The roadsters (883, 48) are known to have very stiff rides, especially at the rear. A friend bought along a 48 on a ride and I liked the looks - but the ride and GC was unpalatable.
Yeah, adding a sissy bar like the one in the attached picture should solve your pillion seating issue. This one also has a luggage rack.
Harley Street 750 Test Ride: Handling, Exhaust Note & more-ibw_10_street-custom.jpg

Yeah, 48's are bad. But 883XL is very comfortable. On a recent drive 100km over some pretty bad roads my two mates with 48's and one with the old Low, complained of jarring ride. But I was quite comfortable on the suspension of the Superlow adjusted to its stiffest settings.

Last edited by dkaile : 20th March 2014 at 11:25.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 11:20   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've personally got the Triumph Bonnevile , and find this bike isnt suitable with a pillion for more than 200kms/day.
Quote:
Please elaborate. I was thinking getting a bigger rear seat with a backrest would make it a good option. The bike is reviewed to have good ride quality so far.
Absynthguzzler is just guessing I reckon as I dont think he has done 200kms with a pillion yet as we both are together for almost every ride

My personal take viz a viz my Classic 500 with one example

During one the rides on my Classic 500 went to Bidar Gurdwara ( 140kms one way) and rode back non-stop and my backside was literally on fire ( solo ride) so i can imagine the pillion would be in even worse state

Compartively, repeated the same Bidar Ride (Absynthguzzler was part of the group) and 140kms on the Bonnie was a breeze. No butt pain and was fresh as a lily at the end of the ride

Bonnie seats are extremely comfortable and I think iam confident of doing 250-300kms non-stop on good roads without resorting to tricks that we normally do when riding a bull

If you compare the Bonneville SE vs. Bonneville T100 seats, T100 seats are more comfortable as they are overall softer

Quote:
Please elaborate on why the Bonnie is not a good choice for long pillion rides! I am surprised at this - I saw a bigger seat with backrest as optional accessories by Triumph for the Bonnie and everything else (ride, power, handling, GC) fits in so perfectly.
My wife accompanied for 150kms ride and she loved the comfort ( again comparing to my Classic 500)

Btw, I saw the optional seat for Bonnie. One word-Hideous !!
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 11:46   #36
BHPian

Not all motorcycles are intended for touring , the street is supposed to primarily cater to the crowd with size zero girlfriends clinging onto the boyfriend for their dear life
Old 20th March 2014, 11:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
Not all motorcycles are intended for touring , the street is supposed to primarily cater to the crowd with size zero girlfriends clinging onto the boyfriend for their dear life
Having met Avi in the flesh recently, I can safely say that there are at least 2 riders in this discussion who riding solo would equal such riders + size zero girlfriends + size zero girlfriend's vanity bag .....

And in the Indian context, its not only the weight that counts, but the real estate of the bum-seat interface.

Which is why I believe the Bullet survived in India long after its planet Krypton died. It was a British bike designed for Indian bums.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 12:03   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Having met Avi in the flesh recently, I can safely say that there are at least 2 riders in this discussion who riding solo would equal such riders + size zero girlfriends + size zero girlfriend's vanity bag .....

And in the Indian context, its not only the weight that counts, but the real estate of the bum-seat interface.

Which is why I believe the Bullet survived in India long after its planet Krypton died. It was a British bike designed for Indian bums.
Hahaha make that three . I ride a bullet('86) , one of the reasons I went for it was that it complimented my size

Street 750 the length or width seemed acceptable to me(for lack of a better option or should I say any other option in that bracket) but the 17" tyre is puny when one compares it to the 19" of the bullet. Not sure if I should bother now with a 6 hour one way trip to delhi simply for the test ride , the negative words about substandard fork and brakes put me off :/
Old 20th March 2014, 12:16   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hahaha make that three . I ride a bullet('86) , one of the reasons I went for it was that it complimented my size

Street 750 the length or width seemed acceptable to me(for lack of a better option or should I say any other option in that bracket) but the 17" tyre is puny when one compares it to the 19" of the bullet. Not sure if I should bother now with a 6 hour one way trip to delhi simply for the test ride , the negative words about substandard fork and brakes put me off :/
To be honest, I would not go by what any online (or hardcopy) magazine or forum writes, but would make up my own mind.

1) Depending on your age and riding experience, very few of them anymore have riders/testers with near or close to equal riding experience of most seasoned riders.

2) Not pointing fingers in any one direction, there are always commercial angles involved and to put it mildly, not everybody can be a Dilip Bam and cock a snook at the establishment and industry and get away with it.

Its a quid pro quo world. Best to discuss amongst bikers and ride it your ownself before deciding.

Now coming to Endurnace forks and brakes. Who said they are inferior? On what basis? That Bajaj shifted to a different vendor? There could be a hundred reasons for a manufacturer shifting vendors. Quality is just one of them. Cost could be another. Conflict of interest and exclusivity and non-compete clauses and logistics and delivery schedules and spreading the net to prevent monopolies and cartelization others.

Let's not jump to conclusions here. I for one would make the trip and do the ride just to feel the motor. In fact I might actually in spite of my Harley bashing actually do the same one of these days and head out from office to the Harley showroom very close by in Hadapsar and ask for a test ride.

Go for it.

Last edited by ebonho : 20th March 2014 at 12:42.
ebonho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 12:27   #40
BHPian

Quote:
To be honest, I would not go by what any online (or hardcopy) magazine or forum writes, but would make up my own mind.

1) Depending on your age and riding experience, very few of them anymore have riders/testers with near or close to equal riding experience of most seasoned riders.

2) Not pointing fingers in any one direction, there are always commercial angles involved and to put it mildly, not everybody can be a Dilip Bam and cock a snook at the establishment and industry and get away with it.

Its a quid pro quo world. Best to discuss amongst bikers and ride it your ownself before deciding.

Now coming to Endurnace forks and brakes. Who said they are inferior? On what basis? That Bajaj shifted to a different vendor? There could be a hundred reasons for a manufacturer shifting vendors. Quality is just one of them. Cost could be another. Conflict of interest and exclusivity and non-compete clauses and logistics and delivery schedules and spreading the net to prevent monoloies and cartelization others.

Let's not jump to conclusions here. I for one would make the trip and do the ride just to feel the motor. In fact I might actually in spite of my Harley bashing actually do the same one of these days and head out from office to the Harley showroom very close by in Hadapsar and ask for a test ride.

Go for it.
Thanks for the reassuring words , I'm 24 and a complete newbie(especially to bikes in this category) so totally reliant on reviews and words of experienced riders to form an opinion .
Since it will be the first vehicle I will purchase on my own , I simply can't afford or want to make a bad choice. When I saw the bike in flesh , I was not very excited either by the finish( in parts due to the softails parked around) and was of the opinion engine performance and ride quality will be the deciding factor. I guess I should make the trip this weekend and judge it for myself after all . However engine reliability is another primary concern for me , even more than aesthetic finish or performance. Enfield type reliability won't cut it for me and that is one dept. where the outside finish doesn't gives any confidence.

Last edited by basuroy : 20th March 2014 at 12:29.
Old 20th March 2014, 12:52   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reassuring words , I'm 24 and a complete newbie(especially to bikes in this category) so totally reliant on reviews and words of experienced riders to form an opinion .
Since it will be the first vehicle I will purchase on my own , I simply can't afford or want to make a bad choice. When I saw the bike in flesh , I was not very excited either by the finish( in parts due to the softails parked around) and was of the opinion engine performance and ride quality will be the deciding factor. I guess I should make the trip this weekend and judge it for myself after all . However engine reliability is another primary concern for me , even more than aesthetic finish or performance. Enfield type reliability won't cut it for me and that is one dept. where the outside finish doesn't gives any confidence.
I think the red and black one looks super. So would a bright canary yellow and black combo.

The only thing fit and finish wise I was disappointed with was the rider foot pegs. Not because they are not spring mounted, but because the mounts do not look strong enough to take the weight of a rider standing on them over rough patches.

The other things like tyres, horn, wires, indicators, etc. Seriously man - these are not things I look for in a bike. Remember at the end of it you are getting a 750 cc Porsche designed V Twin for 4.5 lacs. Somethings would need to be compromised on to make that happen. Especially from a manufacturer like Harley not known for selling anything cheap (including a balaclava).

For me a bike should move. It should handle. It should brake. It should inspire a oneness. I've stopped being anal about chrome and paint and scratches and myriad other small things a long time ago.

Just clean the bike regularly. Polish her once in a while. And ride her. Its the ride that matters most. And all my bikes to date have been bought without a test ride.

Let me put it this way.

If this bike can hit 180 or thereabouts (something tells me it can and will) then as a serious low priced alternative/competitor these are the bikes it would threaten (across classes):

1) the 883

2) the Bonnie

3) the Ninja 650

4) the Hyosung 650

5) the Ducati Monster 795

Funnily, I am rooting for this India built baby Harley to succeed and take the fight to the high priced imports.

Last edited by mobike008 : 20th March 2014 at 13:38. Reason: Merging back to back posts
ebonho is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 13:37   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For me a bike should move. It should handle. It should brake. It should inspire a oneness. I've stopped being anal about chrome and paint and scratches and myriad other small things a long time ago.
+1. I agree to these points. It's not just for 2 wheelers but, for me apply to 4 wheelers as well but, iam not completely oblivious to how the bike looks too but, can sacrifice the cosmetic stuff for the real deal

Basu, you seem to be a young guy with a matured head on your shoulders from whatever I read and understood from your posts and some of them are quite well written too. Therefore, my advice is similar to what doc gave you

Never write off anything till you personally ride it ...Reviews are just to give you an impression, actual test ride is the deal maker/beaker!!

Goodluck for your T/R. Heck!! Who knows you may ride back to Bareilly on the HD 750 .....
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 13:40   #43
Senior - BHPian

Yes Avi I agree. A bike's looks should tug at your heart strings every time you see her. Ditto for a 4 wheeler as well. But I love my Baleno's looks. Most people don't like the look of a Baleno. So its highly personal.
Old 20th March 2014, 14:54   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Absynthguzzler is just guessing I reckon as I dont think he has done 200kms with a pillion yet as we both are together for almost every ride

My personal take viz a viz my Classic 500 with one example

My wife accompanied for 150kms ride and she loved the comfort ( again comparing to my Classic 500)

Btw, I saw the optional seat for Bonnie. One word-Hideous !!
Thanks Mobike - everything does point to a comfortable pillion on the Bonnie, except inertia under hard acceleration I guess. I know the optional seats look hideous but one of the main criteria for my wife is a backrest. I don't know if that's just psychological for her but I don't want to question it and break the existing ceasefire on bikes.

I guess the pace with which you covered the 140 Kms on the Bonnie would have made a difference too But yes I agree on soft seats on the REs - I find my Duke390's seat much more comfortable over longer rides (300+kms at a go)

Quote:
I think the red and black one looks super. So would a bright canary yellow and black combo.

If this bike can hit 180 or thereabouts (something tells me it can and will)
Doc, the speedo tops out at 180 on the baby Harley I think. So I doubt the bike will go close to that number. I'll be extremely happy to be proven wrong!
The Red/black one does look like it can look decent with some customization doesn't it. Now, if only your performance predictions turn out to be true; just like it did for the 390
niranjanrvce is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 15:08   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doc, the speedo tops out at 180 on the baby Harley I think. So I doubt the bike will go close to that number. I'll be extremely happy to be proven wrong!
The Red/black one does look like it can look decent with some customization doesn't it. Now, if only your performance predictions turn out to be true; just like it did for the 390
Well, KTM managed to do a lot to the bike after we finished testing them and trying our best to break them (which none of us could ....). So what we saw in terms of performance was a lot less than what you guys are seeing today.

Hope the 750 was tested as hard and Harley manages to push it faster than the pre production bikes. Maybe Harley wants owners to have the pleasure of bouncing the needle off the stop!

The 883 tops out at 160, and this bike is more powerful and weighs 40 odd kilos less. Also it revs much higher. So if not 180, maybe 170+ should be doable. And hopefully it will get there much quicker as well.

The fact that Harley is racing these bikes competitively in the US should point to something.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed