Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2014, 15:30   #46
vcx
BHPian

Re: Harley Street 750 Test Ride: Handling, Exhaust Note & more

Valid points ebonho, Harley could be positioning Street to be more of alternate racing ( snow race videos on youtube) and similar off the circuit races.

While that indicated, the focus then from Harley's point is Engine and soley Engine. Revolution X( a scaled down Porsche designed knight rod engine or what ever) is single focus on the ability to pull and perfrom and that speaks for the little attention they paid for teh overall packaging.

They need to get it that at Rs. 5 lacs OTR, even a hardcore HD fan would think twice with Engine -Enjoy , but Body- Bad way.

It would be intresting to see more reviews and comparisons starts to surface.
vcx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 15:54   #47
BHPian

Pending more long term ownership experiences on this HD 750 bike, I would say there may be people who take this bike to Leh and come back saying I absolutely loved the ride, while there will be others that say it was a nightmare on the Leh ride.

The way I see the pics of the bike (handle bar, pegs position, seat, a relatively more sportier compact look etc) this bike looks more closer at the target audience of the Bonnie than what the Sporty 883 does. Also this seems to be an effort from Harley to target the Urban crowd/born again rider, who wants a 'more reliable' RE bullet at an extra cost, with the Bar & Shield logo as a added bonus.

Coming to the comments on seat comfort, this a very huge topic. There is a senior intrepid riding couple in bangalore (some of you may know them) who do some commendable 2-up rides all over south india on a Suzuki zeus 125. The rider is a tall person as well. So it all depends on how one feels with his bike. You dont always need a goldwing to tour in comfort, but small adjustments on many bikes can make them a reasonable 2-up touring bike. Again a soft seat does not necessarily guarantee a comfortable seat. The density of each of our arses are different and thats what makes a seat of any bike comfortable or not comfortable esp when your bottom sweats over a long ride. For example I had one of the lousiest stock seats on my 1200GS which is considered the industry standard for long distance touring. After lots of research I went with a custom made seat from Russell Day Long Saddle (where you have to give them your inseam measurements etc and side pics of you & pillion on the bike and send them your stock saddle) and they redo your seat and send it back to you. Yes it costs $$$ and when the seat came back I was shocked to see the seat is very firm and on the hard side. I thought my hard earned money is gone up in smoke. But after the first ride of 100kms non stop, I realized why they praise this seat. And my best testimony came in early January, when I rode about 370kms non stop from Chennai to Bangalore where I started the bike in chennai & rode non stop and switched off and got off the bike in bangalore. I didnt have to stand on the pegs or do any other adjustments on the seat to give any rest to my butt. Therefore a hard seat also can be comfortable, but a lot of other factors such a seat slant, shape etc also must be considered before you write off any hard seat as 'may not be comfortable'.
Haroon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 15:56   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I think the red and black one looks super. So would a bright canary yellow and black combo.

The other things like tyres, horn, wires, indicators, etc. Seriously man - these are not things I look for in a bike. Remember at the end of it you are getting a 750 cc Porsche designed V Twin for 4.5 lacs. Somethings would need to be compromised on to make that happen. Especially from a manufacturer like Harley not known for selling anything cheap (including a balaclava).

For me a bike should move. It should handle. It should brake. It should inspire a oneness. I've stopped being anal about chrome and paint and scratches and myriad other small things a long time ago.

If this bike can hit 180 or thereabouts (something tells me it can and will) then as a serious low priced alternative/competitor these are the bikes it would threaten (across classes):
The dual paint schemes are marketed as accessories which as per one file going around on the net will cost almost 1.5 lakh (tank and 2 fenders).

I agree with the way you approach motorcycles btw , if it feels correct between the legs then it is a good fit for the person. I did enjoy being astride on the harley so that is a point in its favor . Whether the engine is reliable/durable or not , I guess only time will tell.

BTW as per adrena(creator of this thread) , he said on the street forum that speed is electronically limited at 160 kph. The v-rod as per owners cuts off fuel supply once it hits 153 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Basu, you seem to be a young guy with a matured head on your shoulders from whatever I read and understood from your posts and some of them are quite well written too. Therefore, my advice is similar to what doc gave you

Never write off anything till you personally ride it ...Reviews are just to give you an impression, actual test ride is the deal maker/beaker!!

Goodluck for your T/R. Heck!! Who knows you may ride back to Bareilly on the HD 750 .....
Appreciate the encouraging words , will definitely take the ride this weekend .
Old 20th March 2014, 16:14   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
BTW as per adrena(creator of this thread) , he said on the street forum that speed is electronically limited at 160 kph.
That could be because the 883 also tops out at 160 kmph. Otherwise there is no reason why this engine won't do more.

The days ahead will likely see exhaust mods and electronic de-restriction.
Old 20th March 2014, 17:08   #50
BHPian

Quote:

Now coming to Endurnace forks and brakes. Who said they are inferior? On what basis? That Bajaj shifted to a different vendor?
+1 to that! Since most of my work has to do with automobiles, I sometimes get a peek into supplier - OEM dynamics. The manufacturer will go through so many proposals from so many suppliers and will select "only" the one with the highest quality! Just beacuse Bajaj chucked endurance shocks doesnt make it inferior. And Brembo isnt the only brake manufacturer. If Harley has made a decision to buy those parts, I am sure they have a "VERY" good reason. So, as mature buyers, we should only be worried about how we feel while we re astride them!

I was very irked at the tone of the review. Very unprofessional. It is the first time I am reading a review where the reviewer starts off by questioning the manufacturers supplier choices! Like ebonho pointed out, there is very little in terms of how the bike handles.

PS- I dont work for Harley or Endurance
Old 20th March 2014, 19:57   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
Not sure if I should bother now with a 6 hour one way trip to delhi simply for the test ride, the negative words about substandard fork and brakes put me off :/

One word short-&-sweet suggestion, "Don't"

Last edited by aah78 : 21st March 2014 at 23:25. Reason: Post edited. Blank space deleted.
Old 20th March 2014, 20:02   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
Please elaborate. I was thinking getting a bigger rear seat with a backrest would make it a good option. The bike is reviewed to have good ride quality so far.

The roadsters (883, 48) are known to have very stiff rides, especially at the rear. A friend bought along a 48 on a ride and I liked the looks - but the ride and GC was unpalatable.

Please elaborate on why the Bonnie is not a good choice for long pillion rides! I am surprised at this - I saw a bigger seat with backrest as optional accessories by Triumph for the Bonnie and everything else (ride, power, handling, GC) fits in so perfectly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Absynthguzzler is just guessing I reckon as I dont think he has done 200kms with a pillion yet as we both are together for almost every ride

My personal take viz a viz my Classic 500 with one example

During one the rides on my Classic 500 went to Bidar Gurdwara ( 140kms one way) and rode back non-stop and my backside was literally on fire ( solo ride) so i can imagine the pillion would be in even worse state

Compartively, repeated the same Bidar Ride (Absynthguzzler was part of the group) and 140kms on the Bonnie was a breeze. No butt pain and was fresh as a lily at the end of the ride

Bonnie seats are extremely comfortable and I think iam confident of doing 250-300kms non-stop on good roads without resorting to tricks that we normally do when riding a bull

If you compare the Bonneville SE vs. Bonneville T100 seats, T100 seats are more comfortable as they are overall softer

My wife accompanied for 150kms ride and she loved the comfort ( again comparing to my Classic 500)

Btw, I saw the optional seat for Bonnie. One word-Hideous !!
Quote:
Having met Avi in the flesh recently, I can safely say that there are at least 2 riders in this discussion who riding solo would equal such riders + size zero girlfriends + size zero girlfriend's vanity bag .....

And in the Indian context, its not only the weight that counts, but the real estate of the bum-seat interface.

Which is why I believe the Bullet survived in India long after its planet Krypton died. It was a British bike designed for Indian bums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
Thanks Mobike - everything does point to a comfortable pillion on the Bonnie, except inertia under hard acceleration I guess. I know the optional seats look hideous but one of the main criteria for my wife is a backrest. I don't know if that's just psychological for her but I don't want to question it and break the existing ceasefire on bikes.

I guess the pace with which you covered the 140 Kms on the Bonnie would have made a difference too But yes I agree on soft seats on the REs - I find my Duke390's seat much more comfortable over longer rides (300+kms at a go)

Doc, the speedo tops out at 180 on the baby Harley I think. So I doubt the bike will go close to that number. I'll be extremely happy to be proven wrong!
The Red/black one does look like it can look decent with some customization doesn't it. Now, if only your performance predictions turn out to be true; just like it did for the 390
I wasnt guessing Avi, there is a reason why ive got 800kms more on my odo compared to yours. Youve never been a long distance rider and i dont think you plan to even . However, even in the shortest of rides, my mind is always churning out thoughts on how I will feel with this bike as a tourer .

There are 2 scenarios for long distance :
Without pillion, the only hindrance is probably the thinn'ish seat . Compared to the T100 and other bikes , the SE has a very thin seat. Most of the cushioning effect is done by the shock absorbers . The stats for all bikes prove this point

SE, T100 and Thruxton have struts starting from 320mm and increasing by 20mm respectively. However, the spring travel rate in all 3 are 3.2" max. This clearly quantifies why the T100 is more comfortable than the SE, i.e Seat has 1 inch more cushioning compared to SE.

With Pillion , it is not solely the seat in question when comfort over long distance is spoken about. This may be solely attributable to me, but I'm 100% sure most would agree. The most comfortable position for touring is obviously the front peg setup on HD and other dedicated cruisers. The next best would be akin to the Bullet and Bonnie. However, on the SE , i find that with a pillion, I'm having to bend my knees more ( as a result of making space at back), which indirectly forces me to use the heel or arch of my feet on the pegs. this natural tendency is purely as a result of the cramped feeling if I continue to use the balls of my feet on the pegs. I don't know about others, but i don't feel that my legs resting when i use the foot arch or heel all through the ride. Not having a pillion on the bonnie gives you this flexibility. Now, one can say , surely there's enough room to manage this aspect . I just feel , if that's the case, then I'm being selfish and making the ride miserable to my companion. You're sure to take up more than a fair share of real estate.

The next point is common to both my Street 750 and SE comments and its already been detailed out. Real Estate available for our bums. I passed judgement purely on the existing setup of both bikes, not on the "options available" . Bigger, softer , wider front and back seats added with a sissybar/backrest would surely be the way to go. Without these, i still feel that the pillion is constantly stressed due to lack of room to manoeuvre and/or fear of falling backwards. What's the point of a long distance ride if your pillion is not enjoying it ? Niranjan's point on his wife insisting for a backrest also confirms this probably? You've taken a companion for a reason. Now why just think "adjust kar lete" or " its better than what we're used to" when the solution is out there.

I wouldn't want to compare this bike to the Bullet though . Its just not fair to do so on both bikes. Even the "backside on fire" feeling is not solely attributable to the Bullet's seat , everyone knows there are multiple other dynamics on that bike which play a role. By comparing these two bikes, you're pulling down the credibility of both!

In stock form, the Bonnie( SE model in particular) surely has lacunae of comfort for long distance touring with 2 on-board. The minor corrections required would be

1. Seat Upgrade or modification - in cushioning and real estate for both rider and pillion.
2. Lowering the pegs or having a highway peg set-up.

Both the above are very common mods done on the Bonnie and there are numerous long term user-based comments on same from across the world. We in India are only now experiencing the pleasures of this wonderful bike. So even if I'm guessing my assessment after 1800kms on the odo, I'll surely go by the advise that the whole world's Bonnie users have provided me.

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 20th March 2014 at 20:08.
absynthguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 20:58   #53
BHPian

Love what I'm discovering through this thread.

Talking 'bout the seat - I'd like to find out the reason of that strap going round the top and it's placement which I find rather oddly too far back into the pillion zone. What is that for? Did we not stop seeing those ages ago? My RX100 had that. Guess I removed it from my RD350 back in the late 90's.

Last edited by mobike008 : 21st March 2014 at 17:22. Reason: That video has been posted plenty of times on other threads in this section
Old 21st March 2014, 10:44   #54
Senior - BHPian

Haroon is spot on about seats. The longer you are in the saddle the more you appreciate the finer points of a seat. Amount of padding is not the important criterion here. Rather it is the firmness and "memory" of that padding between the two bony prominences of your bum and the hard seat pan. By memory I mean how little it deforms and how quickly it regains its original shape once pressure is released. Slope of the seat is also critical - both front to back as well as to each sides. Shape is the other important criterion. One does not need to sit on a sofa. But one also does not need to yo-yo to the other extreme of sitting on a knife edge which literally makes you feel as if you are straddling a wall. The golden rule being real estate available where its needed, and absent where its not or should not be.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 11:09   #55
Senior - BHPian

I was all ready for this bike, however have decided to wait and watch considering the noises that are coming about its quality and packaging parts!

For 5 lakhs, HD can provide us a more 'finished' product that what is currently seen.
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 11:36   #56
BHPian

Maybe a little off topic, but the much loved WP Front forks for KTM is manufactured by Endurance. They also have a tie up with WP for technology on suspension and forks.

I don't think endurance as a brand should be vilified as the reviewer did just because he does not like the fact that Bajaj moved away in past history. (KTM Bajaj combine does use WP which means they still are tied up with Endurance)

( the news about WP suspension being manufactured by Endurance is from a piece of news i read on overdrive, and probably corroborated by the fact that WP and Endurance are collaborators.)

Last edited by sreedotk : 21st March 2014 at 11:37.
Old 21st March 2014, 11:41   #57
Senior - BHPian

What's the deal with the Harleys and (the lack of) pillion seat?
Sportster doesn't come with it.
Now Street also doesn't!
Old 21st March 2014, 12:58   #58
BHPian

Re: A Guide to Owning a Harley-Davidson in India

Cant wait to test ride the street 750 before i book it, but it seems it'll be April when the Hyd Showroom people get the test ride model...
Old 21st March 2014, 13:03   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
I was all ready for this bike, however have decided to wait and watch considering the noises that are coming about its quality and packaging parts!
Good Decision. Did you take a test ride? Would like to know your initial thoughts on same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
What's the deal with the Harleys and (the lack of) pillion seat? Sportster doesn't come with it.Now Street also doesn't!
Most of their bikes have longish wheelbase and dedicate so much space for chrome, pipes mudguards etc but, it never crosses their mind to think about a pillion seat

Perhaps, the result of american culture of mostly cruising single than with a pillion

Btw, I too personally like to ride a motorcycle alone. It's good to have a pillion seat for those occassional rides with better half but, that's not really a deal breaker for me
Old 21st March 2014, 13:26   #60
BHPian

Re: A Guide to Owning a Harley-Davidson in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhimanyu_singh View Post
Cant wait to test ride the street 750 before i book it, but it seems it'll be April when the Hyd Showroom people get the test ride model...
Hyderabad has received their test ride bike for about a week now , confirm with them over phone .
basuroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks