Team-BHP - Harley Street 750 Test Ride: Handling, Exhaust Note & more
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Harley Street 750 Test Ride: Handling, Exhaust Note & more (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/148995-harley-street-750-test-ride-handling-exhaust-note-more.html)

Today is an important day. Finally got to ride around on the Street 750. I say important as it happened a full 2 weeks in advance. I was promised the test ride in the first week of April. Guess Christmas came early. In any case, I'm glad this happened - helped me confirm my faith in my early booking.

So here is a short lil writeup on what I felt.

Pre-test formalities:
Seven Islands Harley Davidson, the Mumbai dealership is quite thorough with their documentation. I'm glad to have arrived first. Handed in my driving licence and in return I was handed a temporary registration of the bike. Necessary in case of any unintended run ins with the local law enforcement.

Collage on the facade of Seven Islands Harley Davidson, Turbhe, Navi Mumbai, India

The Bike
I was glad to see the bike when it was brought up. It was Red this time. This is the first time I got to see this colour. I feel that this makes the bike look a bit larger than it is. Maybe it is just that an all black lump feels more one with itself than the red. The front mud-guard, tank and rear fairing bring in patches of red that define the extremities of the bike a bit more than all black.

Guess I'll stick to my vivid black booking

I was given a bike that had just done 79km on the odo so it is safe to say that it was absolutely mint fresh out of its crate.

Controls and general stance:
I think the bike feels much better on the road than it did in the showroom where it had its front and rear wheels clamped down. Once loaded up, the bike settles down nicely. Seat height is perfect for my 5'8" frame. I don't think even taller riders would have an issue.

I liked the controls, levers and switches. Everything feels like there was focus on quality. Having said that, they do feel inadequate when compared to an Iron. Instrumentation may look identical but it may not be. For example, the Iron has a trip switch just above the horn and that toggles between odo-clock-trip1-trip2. Street only gets one button on the dial that toggles odo-tripA-tripB. No clock which I thought was a very handy feature. Specially coming from a Vespa.

Coming to the foot controls, I think these are set a bit too far back for a cruiser. They’re more in the aggressive sports bike area. Not that I’m complaining but I’m unsure about their usefulness in daily office runs. We’ll find out more as bikes hit the road. I’m sure this config will make for a great long distance mile cruncher. The handlebar maybe a couple of inches too wide for tight urban spaces and manic traffic of Indian cities. The wider bar does give more than enough leverage to move the otherwise front heavy bike easily.

Thought I’ll allay some concerns that this gang had:
Gear shifts are light. Way lighter than the clunky Iron. Precise. No false neutrals.
Bike starts in gear just fine. Without the side stand that is.
Everything feels taught and made well. No squeaks. No rattles.
No fuel gauge but the bike gets a 2-liter-to-empty light on the clock
Other lights include: Engine check, neutral, left, right, low fuel, oil low and something else that I’m forgetting.
The whole clock glows red (I know I should’ve got a pic) and it is quite nice.
The lights are all precise and what you should expect when you buy something in 2014
Iron has a better LCD odo.

The Ride:
I’m gonna make this quick as it was a short 7km run on mixed roads – Highway, couple of twists, some traffic, a red light and return.

Street 750 is meant for the urban crawl and this bike does that really well. It gets off the line clean and easy. Clutch is light, progressive and precise. Acceleration is really strong and with just a light touch lots of things. Bike picks up speed and before you know it you’re neatly doing a ton on the speedo and very quickly after you know the top speed is coming. Which brings me to an interesting question – How much is this bike capable of doing? Electronic limitation not withstanding. Braking is nice and easy but then this machine had done only 80kms. I can confidently say that there isn’t a wrong noise anywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy7xlE2ZwdM

Speaking of noise (ahem) exhaust note – this isn’t what is popularly known as a Harley. No potatoes here. This sounds like the V-Rod for sure. Idle is a hurried v-twin revving away. It does not mechanical in a very Harley sort of way and it isn’t a Jap or Euro machine by any stretch of imagination. I felt that the mufflers were trying to make this thing a tad too silent. Someone needs to put on some free flows and find out what it exactly can do in this department.

There areas where I personally have problems:

I need a heel-toe shifter. I love my shoes and I really need that to be an option which isn’t the case right now. Getting ready for some fabrication once I get this piece.

There is a ton of exposed wiring and connectors which need immediate attention.

Notice the connector behind the air filter.

Part of the wiring loom and the rear brake switch have exposed connectors and wiring

Single horn with exposed wiring

No care was taken while leaving this entire loom exposed and tied down with just cable ties

This whole belt cover is wrong and needs to go

No facility for dual tone horns. This one sounds like a moped

Cheap bulb filled bullet indicators that are out of place here

Overall, a fairly worthy investment considering that this bike is going on sale at a sub INR 500,000 in most places across India. My advice to you would be to go get this thing before any improvements are done.

Nice review adrena.

Will have a look on Tuesday. The foot pegs being back is a deal breaker for me. Will see & judge go/no go.

Same here. It felt right the first time around but when the bike's weight comes into play, it's a whole different space. Like I said, this is a canvas waiting for customisation. Shouldn't be too tough to change (correct). I'll attempt for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrena (Post 3391866)
It was Red this time. This is the first time I got to see this colour. I feel that this makes the bike look a bit larger than it is. Maybe it is just that an all black lump feels more one with itself than the red. The front mud-guard, tank and rear fairing bring in patches of red that define the extremities of the bike a bit more than all black.

+1, the bike looks much better in Red than the all-Black. Gets out the character of the bike and makes it stand-out in crowd.

Was surprised to this as I thought HD's are made in black only!stupid:

This color is going to be an attention grabber.

Anurag.

That's a very pretty red color. Definitely looks better than the all black one. Especially with everything else getting the matte black treatment, without any shiny chrome.

Re-opened this thread, closed the older unveiling thread.

Discussion can continue here :)

Thanks for sharing!

One thing I was told -- The initial bikes on display are "Pre-production" bikes.

Can the OP throw some light on the quality of wiring etc on the test ride bike?

Good views, I concur with all your points of observations from the test ride and bike looks different ( eye candy) in deep red, this could be since the rumour of Street started floating, the images were all black till unveiling, expect few custom views( that too in white and dual tone's).

The bike from my test ride too was all well in handling, ride , response and dynamics, but braking is something that I would be keen to see more views.

Yes, the quality and overall packaging is something that I too insisted is sore to eye after looking at its other classic siblings.

The showrooms folks were talking and telling that the final version would be much better ( this was during the display only phase), now with Test drive phase a new bike was also showing up same packaging, exposed sockets issues.

I would not be surprised that the final delivery ready too could be so.

Agree it's positioned as canvas to play your custom approach, but that does not warranty the core packaging quality is left the way we are getting to see.

I also came across a first review on street 500 in another website, the focus expressing concern in quality of finish, while the performance, handling & engine departments do make a mark pointing in 750 it would be way better.

I hope Mr. Anoop Prakash of HD India would take note.

The red color definitely is a looker!

Even though I love HD and would like to own one, the only thing that is keeping me away from Street is the overall bundling of wires and the sockets which are a bad fitment for a 5 lakhs bike. I do not expect HD not to do a thorough finishing job after having a good bike on its hands!:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by getsurya (Post 3392720)
The red color definitely is a looker!

Even though I love HD and would like to own one, the only thing that is keeping me away from Street is the overall bundling of wires and the sockets which are a bad fitment for a 5 lakhs bike. I do not expect HD not to do a thorough finishing job after having a good bike on its hands!

I don't think the production ready bikes will have these bundling of wires etc as they should be taken care off and not be passed off as they are selling a 'cheap' bike.

HD should be emailed or alerted by this thread.

Anurag.

Adrena, thats a pretty neat review of HD Street 750. Everything seems to be little better than what was initially expected which is good news but, overall quality of bike leaves a lot to be desired going by the pictures that you have shared

If they dont take care of hiding an important cosmetic aspect like exposed wiring during launch, i doubt if they will address that during the production ready bikes. Well, we'll know only after the 1st bike is delivered

I think a detailed test ride on different surfaces truly can highlight the overall performance of HD 750

Till then prospective buyers should keep their fingers crossed !!!

Quote:

I don't think the production ready bikes will have these bundling of wires etc as they should be taken care off and not be passed off as they are selling a 'cheap' bike.
I too hope the same, Anurag! Only time will tell and it would be a real bad product management from HD if the production series carries these trivial defects to the end Customer.

Quote:

If they dont take care of hiding an important cosmetic aspect like exposed wiring during launch, i doubt if they will address that during the production ready bikes. Well, we'll know only after the 1st bike is delivered
Avi, I hope HD uses its wisdom and experience and takes care of these minor things for a good product. It might the most economical model in their stable, but is by no means a 'cheap' product at 5 Lakhs :D

Quote:

This whole belt cover is wrong and needs to go
Good review, Adrena! Thanks for the same. Why do you say the belt cover is wrong and needs to go? I actually like the way it is solid and looks on the bike.

Nice crisp review Adrena! Thanks. I have been eagerly waiting for any news on the street 750.

The exhaust note does not have any potatoes in it. It will surely ruffle a lot of HOG feathers. :)

I am waiting for a chance to TD it!

Adrena, this is one interesting write-up. There is always a fine line when a top end manufacturer expands portfolio to get the next level in market share. I am glad to know Harley Davidson isn't cutting corners so fine that it impacts ownership experience. I am sure some of these shortcomings are easily fixed in production. The one thing I am not so sure of is the exhaust sound. This "potato" is the spirit of the rumble!

Cheers on your booking and enjoy your ride.

Neat crisp write up Adrena. What about the Ground Clearence and the suspension? Two major HD issues in our country?