Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2014, 11:44   #76
BANNED

Carefully raise the bike on jack if you have to. Place bricks or wooden blocks beneath frame rails for added safety.

Every thing comes off very smoothly and would not ask for undue force.
Although you might need a small hammer to get the Axle out .

I would recommend to get a local puncher guy and watch and learn.
Old 28th May 2014, 14:06   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bullet? Ninja 650? Finally, Harley Davidson Street Bob

Hi Ankit,

It's been awhile since you have updated your thread, hope all well.

I took a test ride of the Street Bob yesterday and was extremely happy with the bike. Loved the handling, power and presence!

Since the bike comes with spoked wheels, have you faced any issues with the spokes? Breakage or spokes becoming loose? A set of alloys with all the fittings costs INR 1.24 lacs approximately

Please revert when possible.

Thanks.
Cyborg
Old 28th May 2014, 14:58   #78
BHPian

Hi Cyborg,

Good to know that you liked the Street Bob when you test rode it yesterday, it sure is one fine bike!

All's well and thanks for asking, have been riding the bike pretty regularly and have been semi active on the forum as well although been a bit lazy when it came to updating this thread.

Even in the sweltering heat of Delhi, have been coming to the office on the bike unless there is a planned client meeting. Have already clocked 4,500kms on the ODO in just a week over three months.

The one thing that I do not like about the Street Bob is the spoked wheels, while it does add to it's retro look, I feel had they come with alloys, life would have been a bit less complicated. I've already had two punctures on the rear wheel and on both occasions have had the RSA tow the bike to the workshop. But what I've done now is bought a battery (12V) operated air pump and would be carrying it on rides out of town so that at least one can keep filling in the air and ride some distance till one reaches a mechanic/ puncture shop.

So far haven't had any issues like the spoke breaking or coming loose and am definitely not considering changing to alloys. Damn expensive they are.

My advice would be to go ahead and book the bike, I am sure you wouldn't regret it.

Cheers,
Ankit
Old 28th May 2014, 18:27   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitwanchoo View Post
So far haven't had any issues like the spoke breaking or coming loose and am definitely not considering changing to alloys. Damn expensive they are.
My advice would be to go ahead and book the bike, I am sure you wouldn't regret it. Cheers,Ankit
Thanks for the quick revert Ankit and happy to hear all is well!

The spoked wheels are the one thing I do not like in the Street Bob as well. The alloys look absolutely smashing (saw one bike fitted with them at the service centre) and come in two finishes - gunmetal gray and chrome. If one were to get beyond the insane price and get them fitted, the tube could be removed which would benefit the ride in a small way. The alloys would also lift the look of the bike several notches.

Besides the obvious question of raising the money rains in Bombay are just around the corner, so any buying decision will be around end September.

Happy and safe riding.
Cheers
Old 28th May 2014, 19:38   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Thanks for the quick revert Ankit and happy to hear all is well!

The spoked wheels are the one thing I do not like in the Street Bob as well. The alloys look absolutely smashing (saw one bike fitted with them at the service centre) and come in two finishes - gunmetal gray and chrome. If one were to get beyond the insane price and get them fitted, the tube could be removed which would benefit the ride in a small way. The alloys would also lift the look of the bike several notches.

Besides the obvious question of raising the money rains in Bombay are just around the corner, so any buying decision will be around end September.

Happy and safe riding.
Cheers
Classic looks comes at a price
If its alloys, its easy to repair the punture.
Like Ankit said, you need to take the bike with spokes to the dealer if you have a puncture.

Last edited by jkdas : 28th May 2014 at 19:39.
Old 28th May 2014, 20:08   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
If its alloys, its easy to repair the punture.
Like Ankit said, you need to take the bike with spokes to the dealer if you have a puncture.
It does not make any difference when there is a puncture if its an alloy or spoked wheel, as long as you know how to open the wheel. Ankit was not confident of opening the wheel, hence he took it to the authorized workshop. The puncture may be repaired at any tubeless/tube-type repairer at a fraction of cost Harley will charge.

Even though the Street Bob comes with tubeless tyres the company still puts a tube due to the spoked wheels. The alloys will rid you of the tube, provide slightly better ride quality and of course improve the looks.

Ankit - The above is as per my understanding of the situation, please clarify if the facts differ.

Cheers
Old 28th May 2014, 23:09   #82
BHPian

Quote:
The spoked wheels are the one thing I do not like in the Street Bob as well. The alloys look absolutely smashing
I haven't seen a SB with alloy wheels so far here in Delhi hence wouldn't be able to comment on the looks but can assume that it would look good

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
+1 to that

Quote:
Ankit was not confident of opening the wheel, hence he took it to the authorized workshop. The puncture may be repaired at any tubeless/tube-type repairer at a fraction of cost Harley will charge.

Ankit - The above is as per my understanding of the situation, please clarify if the facts differ.
You are absolutely right on this, on my bullets, have done this earlier but the lack of a center stand on H-D did push me away from experimenting by trying to lift the bike on my car's jack and using wooden logs for additional support. I might pick up a flat bed jack sometime or have a friend fabricate one which I can keep at home and in the event of a future puncture could try opening up the wheel so that on rides I could try and manage something and wouldn't need to rely on RSA support.
ankitwanchoo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 09:09   #83
Senior - BHPian

Harley Davidson Street Bob

A ride last day cleared the doubts or rather the misconception I had over Harley's.
1) Its smooth
2) Its comfortable
3) Its heavy on paper (ya, feels the weight when you wanna reverse it)

The above observation is based on my ride of my close friend and tbhpian's Street Bob. We took delivery of it last day and rode it down. I have ridden the Iron883 prior to this which in my opinion isnt polished as the Street Bob and hence this post.

I will post rest of pix and comments once my friend starts the ownership thread.

Ankit's thread was helpful. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Bullet? Ninja 650? Finally, Harley Davidson Street Bob-wp_20141016_13_08_54_pro-large.jpg  

Bullet? Ninja 650? Finally, Harley Davidson Street Bob-adobephotoshopexpress_a274c5c2ff6a40de990f8e9f7143766f-large-2.jpg  

jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 23:59   #84

Hello Everyone,
I am from Hyderabad and had booked a 2015 street bob few days back. Had a 2008 bullet machismo 500 and 2010 classic 500 earlier. Have been going through all the literature and feedback on here. I plan to use it frequently for my work rides which is quite away from traffic, 60km round trip on highway bypass road. I was told by the dealership in Hyderabad that RSA do flat tires free of cost for the first year about 100km radius which fall well within my driving range..and just 1600/year from the next year onwards. I am only concerned about getting stuck with a flat tire in an isolated area which is my daily route.

I plan to put the waterproof double saddle bags asap. Was looking for options all over. Has anyone purchased anything from J & P Cycles Shop online. They do ship to India. Was looking at these:
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/830-821

Comes to $970 (800+170(shipping)). If someone has used this site, will I have to deal with customs or its already included in shipping?
Intention is to fit the emergency puncture kit and my work related stuff which is a default everyday activity.

Some references for accessory purchase options will be highly appreciated.
Old 23rd October 2014, 22:31   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuparjun View Post
Hello Everyone,

Comes to $970 (800+170(shipping)). If someone has used this site, will I have to deal with customs or its already included in shipping?
Intention is to fit the emergency puncture kit and my work related stuff which is a default everyday activity.

Some references for accessory purchase options will be highly appreciated.
Congrats on he booking.

You would have to pay the customs of about 30% on it and UPS will collect it from you. You would not need to deal with customs directly though.
Old 25th October 2014, 21:16   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejith.j View Post
Congrats on he booking.

You would have to pay the customs of about 30% on it and UPS will collect it from you. You would not need to deal with customs directly though.
Thanks for the info Sreejith. Are there any alternative sources to procure more economically for somethin like these..
Old 26th October 2014, 01:53   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuparjun View Post
Thanks for the info Sreejith. Are there any alternative sources to procure more economically for somethin like these..
not really for hard saddle bags. Most of the hard ones available in India are not good enough to go on a Harley. The most economical way would be fabricate one locally and match the shade and get it painted. But it needs the right mix though.
sreejith.j is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 12:29   #88
BHPian

Congrats on your choice Arjun. Wouldn't you be better off with a "Dirt Sack" kind of saddlebags. I saw a Studds hard case on a Bullet, similar to the one you are contemplating. See if that fits with some jugaad instead of spending big bucks. Once you het your Bob, you may like it clean without the hard luggage. See you at the rides soon in Hyderabad

Cheers from a fellow Street Bob'er
Jayant06 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2014, 11:01   #89
BHPian

It's been quite a while that I updated the thread, a bit over 10 months that I've been riding the Street Bob clocking a little over 10,000 kms on the ODO. The experience has been a mixed on; fun most of the times but small niggling issues have been a dampener to quite an extent.

The final nail in the coffin, so to say, was when the bolt that screws the seat to the rear fender went flying while riding!

I'm okay tackling such issues on my Bullet and even the Safari but when it comes to H-D, it just doesn't cut it for me and am seriously considering jumping ship and moving to a Triumph or Kawasaki. Will also give me the opportunity of trying a different form of riding, (finances permitting) I might end up with a Tiger 800/ Speed Triple/ Ninja 1000 or more within budget I could even settle for a Street Triple!

Cheers,
Ankit
Old 28th December 2014, 12:56   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitwanchoo View Post
or more within budget I could even settle for a Street Triple!
I had been following your thread earlier this year regularly when contemplating between a Harley and Triumph. Triumphs are great bikes (including the triple), however i hope you are aware of the fact that Triumph failed to disclose that street triples sold in India are the 79PS underpowered versions and not the british spec 106PS. Infact all bikes (except TB storm, tiger and Rocket) sold in India are detuned to meet ARAI requirements.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks