Old 28th August 2009, 18:39   #226
BHPian

Got this link on google
Motorcycle Fuel Consumption & Real World Performance Guide
Old 28th August 2009, 19:00   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Because you said the liter class give the same on highways! And if you think about it in comparison to a car, an 1800 cc giving 19km is pretty good. Also comparing it to a 40 ( highways ) that my 500 bullet gives.
No No, what I mentioned was for Indian Highways & riding conditions

Other than that I do agree that 19 kmpl is a good mileage for 1600cc(the FXDC is 1600c & not 1800) Bike
Old 28th August 2009, 21:28   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
I'm yet unsure about the following:
1. Premium fuel requirements (91 enough or 95 and above needed?)
2. Is the air cooling sufficient for 30-45 degrees ambient temperature on the Indian plains?
3. Dusty, humid (near-sea and otherwise) operating conditions impact.
4. Frequent start-stop, low gear riding issues in the city (The R1 and the MT both overheat in traffic.)
5. Specific to the roadster and dyna street bob's, the comfort offered by the mid controls as against the forward controls in the softail's and VRSC's.
6. Suspension is already low, will it be found wanting on our "perfect" roads. Bottoming out a 13k $ bike will send me into a devastating depression. Pun unintended of course.

Am looking all over the internet for answers to these q's. Just read this somewhere... "God rides a Harley"

Cheers,
Answer to your questions...

Premium fuel...I pump 91+ rating octane here in USA

For cooling HD makes cooling filter which costs around 299$ so you can run your fluids through that which make the bike run good even at higher temp and doesnt get hot(I was planning to get this one when I was in TX where usually the temp goes to 100+ in summer alas I moved to Seattle where the temp doesnt go more than 80s in summer)

Not sure about dust and humidity, I've seen ppl riding everywhere in FL and CA where it is all oceanside and humidity (FL)

Frequent start stop...I heard that usually in earlier models the engine used to get heated up very bad so HD dealers here can cut out the engine so when you are in traffic signal or something one engine shuts down so it doesnt heated up that much...but personally I havent seen one as I ride a EFI 2009 model and the dealers said these bikes dont require one

Between forward and mid controls...it depends or your height...I'm 6'2" and I need a forward controls even harley forwards were small for me, so I went with a aftermarket "Kurakyn" which is very famous and I got my extended forward control..

Suspension...I dont know about anything but on dyna the stock rear suspension is anywhere between 12"-12.6"...I ride dyna so I know pretty much about dyna dimensions but cant really say about suspensions on sporty or softail or FB...

Hope this helps
Old 28th August 2009, 22:31   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Now that all my biker buddies know of my passion for Harleys they keep teasing me that they will follow me picking up parts that will fall off as I ride and a mechanic in tow in a car to attend to the bike when it breaks down

I know that the day I get mine they will have a field day for a long long time making fun of me. BUT - will that stop me from getting one? No way. I am already down to figuring out which colour to order
Quote:
When this is the one thing this side of a Ferrari that I always wanted you think I'd miss the chance to buy one right here in India? Signed up Sir and waiting to complete the formalities
Which model and color?

First at TBHP
Old 28th August 2009, 22:39   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
No No, what I mentioned was for Indian Highways & riding conditions

Other than that I do agree that 19 kmpl is a good mileage for 1600cc(the FXDC is 1600c & not 1800) Bike
Since I've been owning HD and riding it for many years...let me tell you something about their engine...

They make (I'm talking only recent models 2006 and later) where they made big twins as a mandatory 96 Cu.In

883cc sporty
1200cc sporty
Dyna,Softail and FB (stock motor which is 96 Cu.In)
CVO bikes (which are usually refered to screaming eagle and they are 110 Cu.In)

Now every HD dealer here in USA do something called performace modification and this as follows...

Feel the need for SPEED?

Enhance your ride with one of our performance packages:

Fast...Stage I
Faster...Stage II
Fastest...Stage III

and let me explain you a bit about this

All big twins have 96 Cu.In motor...

Fast...Stage I
In this mod you basically change your stock air filter to a K&N big sucker,screaming eagle stage I or screaming eagle heavy breather...You also need to change the exhaust...They do a remap of your fuel system and big goes pretty fast...(Many ppl prefer this in USA for cost effectivnes and you get the bang for the buck)

Faster...Stage II
There are 2 variations to this which is called "Big Bore kit stage I" and "Big Bore kit stage II"...In a Big Bore Stage I basically you increase your motor from 96 Cu.In to 103 Cu.In...and you have to do everything from "Fast...Stage I"...
In Big Bore Kit stage II you again increase the motor from 96 cu.in to 103 cu.in but here you add SE-255 cam shafts for even more torque than big bore stage I kit and more HP...again you'll do this coupled with "Fast...Stage I"

Fastest...Stage III
Finally this is the mother of all...Where you just amp your motor from 96 cu.In to a 110 cu.In...You are bringing your stock motor to a screaming eagle...This is most expensive to do as the parts alone cost you around 3000$ apart from labor...

Some good aftermarket exhaust for HD
V&H pipes
samson
python
thunderheader
screaming eagle
rienhart racing.....

It just depends on your...how much lound you want and how much fast you wanna go

I hope honestly this was informative and I didnt bore any of you guys
Enhance your ride with one of our performance packages: Fast...SFaster...Stage II
Fastest...Stage III

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th August 2009 at 22:56. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please preview post before submitting, Thanks
Old 29th August 2009, 06:47   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the Dyna Street Bob gives 14 kmpl (sources: HD US site and forums) and the tank can hold 17 ltrs, the effective range(ideal) works out to 238 kms/full tank. Thats slightly better than our MT-01 which has a 15 ltr tank and gives only 13-15 kmpl, effective safe range 210 kms/full tank. Range is so important on these bikes, especially in India where good fueling opportunities aren't as easily forthcoming.

I'm yet unsure about the following:
1. Premium fuel requirements (91 enough or 95 and above needed?)
2. Is the air cooling sufficient for 30-45 degrees ambient temperature on the Indian plains?
3. Dusty, humid (near-sea and otherwise) operating conditions impact.
4. Frequent start-stop, low gear riding issues in the city (The R1 and the MT both overheat in traffic.)
5. Specific to the roadster and dyna street bob's, the comfort offered by the mid controls as against the forward controls in the softail's and VRSC's.
6. Suspension is already low, will it be found wanting on our "perfect" roads. Bottoming out a 13k $ bike will send me into a devastating depression. Pun unintended of course.

Am looking all over the internet for answers to these q's. Just read this somewhere... "God rides a Harley"

Cheers,
Go back to my post, # 174. Don't know how to link to it, but I have posted based on my HD rides in Blr. It will overheat in traffic, it is air cooled and those big pots throw off a lot of heat, in Indian traffic for sure your legs will be cooked. I did not ride it long enough to see what happens to the engine, I got uncomfortable much before that. On the open roads, I am pretty sure it will be fine with the airflow carrying the heat away, but I got very warm in 15 mins of low speed riding, so if getting to the open roads will take a lot more than that, I would not want to be on it. I have set out some other issues in my post, I do not know the answers to your other questions above.
Also, the FE will be lower in India. Won't really matter for anyone that is paying that kind of money for a bike, but the small range will cramp your style. I expect the range to less than 200 kms in India. And this is a bike, that you do not want to push even 100 metres to the gas station.
The other thing that I have not mentioned in my other post is that it is not going to respond to your body inputs, like Indian bikes do, or even the SBKs will, given their frame geometry and weight distribution. This one needs countersteering to turn at low speeds, else it will need 3 point turns on Indian city roads and in traffic, an Alto or a Spark will be more maneouverable. And it will be hot work, what with the ambients, the low CG, and heat being thrown off those big cylinders directly upwards to you.
Personally, I think one has to be rabid to buy one in India. No disrespect, but the bike is not as well engineered in terms of refinement either. It is just big. As are many other things from where it comes from
I think that before you put down the money for this, you should check out the MT01. I am pretty sure it will be for the same money, and it has a lot of crazy stuff in it to give it lots of character, in addition to an exhaust note that will mark you out. So before plonking down the same money on the HD, ride it too. Also, the CB 1000 RR from Honda - their unfaired bike, not sure about the model designation.
God on a Harley is about the only person that can ride it in India, is my belief Or people like Baba Kalyani, who owns one in Pune. I have no clue about where and even if, he rides it in any significant way.

Last edited by Technocrat : 31st August 2009 at 12:53. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post please, thanks
Old 29th August 2009, 08:01   #232
Senior - BHPian

have teh dealers been finalised yet? I see they are looking for dealership enquiries. to know the dealerships are not setup yet.
Old 29th August 2009, 10:07   #233
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Which model and color?
I want the softail deluxe. Ideally in a colour combination that came on the 98 Heritage softail nostalgia but if not then the white ice pearl black ice pearl combo or perhaps red hot sunglo
Old 29th August 2009, 12:18   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Go back to my post, # 174.
Personally, I think one has to be rabid to buy one in India. No disrespect, but the bike is not as well engineered in terms of refinement either. It is just big. As are many other things from where it comes from
I think that before you put down the money for this, you should check out the MT01. I am pretty sure it will be for the same money, and it has a lot of crazy stuff in it to give it lots of character, in addition to an exhaust note that will mark you out. So before plonking down the same money on the HD, ride it too.
Sawyer Sir, we already have the MT-01. Its big, muscular and quick. Its also beautiful. Its technical brilliance coupled with design that will make your jaw drop. I still want A HARLEY STREET BOB!! Ape hanger handlebars, minimalistic bobber styling, V Twin plant and the Harley tag are just too much for me to resist. I know how clumsy it would be as compared to my other bikes, but I still want one. You know how some obsessions border on insanity, and are devoid of logic or sense....this here is one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrini78 View Post
Answer to your questions...

Premium fuel...I pump 91+ rating octane here in USA
We can use speed which is 91, or average out speed 97 and regular for 93-95 octane

For cooling HD makes cooling filter which costs around 299$ so you can run your fluids through that which make the bike run good even at higher temp and doesnt get hot(I was planning to get this one when I was in TX where usually the temp goes to 100+ in summer alas I moved to Seattle where the temp doesnt go more than 80s in summer)
Cooling remains my biggest worry.
Not sure about dust and humidity, I've seen ppl riding everywhere in FL and CA where it is all oceanside and humidity (FL)
I am just being paranoid about the humidity and dust, I think these bikes can handle the elements better than our own.
Frequent start stop...I heard that usually in earlier models the engine used to get heated up very bad so HD dealers here can cut out the engine so when you are in traffic signal or something one engine shuts down so it doesnt heated up that much...but personally I havent seen one as I ride a EFI 2009 model and the dealers said these bikes dont require one
Good to know they think its not required.
Between forward and mid controls...it depends or your height...I'm 6'2" and I need a forward controls even harley forwards were small for me, so I went with a aftermarket "Kurakyn" which is very famous and I got my extended forward control..
Well, if I cant get forward controls on the Street Bob, I may have to switch to the Softail or something. Not that I'm complaining or anything, but I really want a Street Bob!
Suspension...I dont know about anything but on dyna the stock rear suspension is anywhere between 12"-12.6"...I ride dyna so I know pretty much about dyna dimensions but cant really say about suspensions on sporty or softail or FB...
I think I will need to adjust the preload just like I did for the MT-01. The MT was setup for an 80kg rider. With someone as big as on it, it was bottoming out everywhere in Bangalore.
Hope this helps
Thanks for these tips Sir, they have been concise and very informative. The Kurakyn controls are easier to bolt onto the bike than the HD OEM ones with no shaft cutting involved, as per my conversation with friends in the US. Have you seen the 2010 Dyna Street Bob on the roads there? If you get to see one and click some pics, I will be forever in your debt. And yeah, pics of your Hog too!

Cheers,
Old 31st August 2009, 12:22   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now that all my biker buddies know of my passion for Harleys they keep teasing me that they will follow me picking up parts that will fall off as I ride and a mechanic in tow in a car to attend to the bike when it breaks down

I know that the day I get mine they will have a field day for a long long time making fun of me. BUT - will that stop me from getting one? No way. I am already down to figuring out which colour to order

Congratulations DKG in advance to getting the Bike and a fine choice indeed.

You know its just peoples conception that a Harley is a very troublesome bike. I have used the Sportster, Heritage softail and the electra glide in the 90's and never had issues with them. The only thing that would occationally happen was oil stains on your calfs. They are like any other bike you come across, trouble only if you do not take care of them.

When you get it your friends opinioun of the bike will change, and no longer will they make fun of you. I hope to get one too in the near future.

Last edited by speedy : 31st August 2009 at 12:34.
Old 5th September 2009, 00:45   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for these tips Sir, they have been concise and very informative. The Kurakyn controls are easier to bolt onto the bike than the HD OEM ones with no shaft cutting involved, as per my conversation with friends in the US. Have you seen the 2010 Dyna Street Bob on the roads there? If you get to see one and click some pics, I will be forever in your debt. And yeah, pics of your Hog too!

Cheers,
Pls see, I've posted my bike pics in "India Harley founders ride" once mod approves it'll be there.
2010 street Bob I couldnt get pics of one on road but everything was in showroom. The distinctive difference from 09-10 is that they have a chopped rear fender
Old 7th December 2009, 08:55   #237
Senior - BHPian

There is some news about Harleys show in Bangalore. Any Bangy boys visiting ? Its is/was near Banaglore palace, as the news person was heard saying.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks