Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2007, 17:15   #16
Team-BHP Support

So the Harleys are here!!

Just read about some ridiculous deal concerning Harleys and mangoes, but whatdaheck, atleast the Harleys are gonna be around sometime soon.

Source: Bombay Times dated 2/04/2007, page 1

manson.
Old 2nd April 2007, 17:21   #17
Team-BHP Support

Manson!! If you are going to start a new thread, please post something which other members from all over India can refer to! Basically, post some more details, or save it for the chat room!!

Damn. You in a hurry to ride home or something?
Old 2nd April 2007, 17:28   #18
Team-BHP Support

Dear Sir,

Apparently the Indian Govt. has agreed to charge lower duties on Harley Davidson imports in exchange of exports of alophonso mangoes, this is assumed to be a limited period/nos. deal by our Bombay Times journalist.

Apart from this the article mentions a couple of Page3 regulars' passion for harleys and which one they own, and how Harley is a religion o something for the culturally rich.

manson.

Last edited by manson : 2nd April 2007 at 17:30.
Old 2nd April 2007, 17:29   #19
BHPian

[quote=Rtech;404280]! Basically, post some more details, or save it for the chat room!!
quote]

Chat Rooms???? do they exist on Team-bhp??
Old 2nd April 2007, 17:35   #20
Team-BHP Support

Thank you manson

No sohail, chat rooms do not exist on Team-bhp (thank heavens!).
Old 2nd April 2007, 17:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

Yes read this piece of news in the morning . With the Mango equation had it been published yesterday 1st April i would have passed it as a Fools day joke like that Schumi - Mumbai Expressway GP gag
Old 2nd April 2007, 17:44   #22
BHPian

Does the article mention anything about expected prices? I would expect these bikes to be in the Rs. 10+ lacs range for sure. Limited numbers is the name of the game here. At those prices sales certainly won't set the charts on fire (and are not expected to). Will certainly be good to see some 'fat boys'/v-rods/night rods on our roads though.
Old 2nd April 2007, 18:17   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
1st April i would have passed it as a Fools day joke like that Schumi - Mumbai Expressway GP gag
The catch from the article was "Shivaji Nagar Airport" which does not exist. Sorry for going off topic.
Old 2nd April 2007, 21:02   #24
Team-BHP Support

kurmist, at 10L i see Harley clearing whatever stocks they plan to bring down, 10L for a brand new Harley in India, and that too a full duty paid clean one.
There are quite a few people till date who have the moolah to buy an import but do not know where to get one from, or dont trust the shoddy dealers we have here.

manson.
Old 2nd April 2007, 22:11   #25
Senior - BHPian

10L for a harley i would say around 15+ sound realistic

Its a harley after all
Old 3rd April 2007, 00:36   #26
Senior - BHPian

This news has been in the Delhi papers for more than a week now, seems they are allowing Mangoes & some more stuff in exchange for limited number of Harley motorcycles to be imported every year.

Basically it will work in the same way that vehicles sold in small numbers (speciality vehicles) in the US/EU. They are exempt from safety testing, fitting of mandatory safety devices etc. In India they are in all probability going to be exempt from ARAI certification & homologation.
Old 3rd April 2007, 01:05   #27
Senior - BHPian

I think its high time I we all started to take mango export seriously. Make money or not, at least we will get a Harley
Im seriously contemplating getting a Fat Boy for a godown full of mangoes
Old 3rd April 2007, 04:25   #28
Senior - BHPian

From Today's Bombay Times

Quote:
Harley Davidsons are in the news. The government of India, in a strange departure from its hidebound import and export policy, has cleared the entry of these iconic motorcycles from the US at low duties in exchange for Indian Alphonso mangoes. It sounds like a belated April Fool’s joke, yes, but various Indian agencies involved are nearly ready with notifications that will allow the use of tariff rate quotas — lower import duty — for a specified number of bikes which have to comply with Euro III norms.
Harley owners and enthusiasts in Mumbai, to whose gut and testosterone levels the bike appeals, describe riding them as a “spiritual experience.” Architect Jimmy Mistry elaborates, “One machine that a bike lover matures and grows up to is a Harley. I chose a V-rod (the fastest cruiser ever produced by Harley and designed by Porsche) as it went with my height. Mine is a 1200cc bike. If I rode a ‘fat boy’ it would be completely disproportionate to my structure. My bike is one of the rare ones that is completely in chrome. There’s a powerbooster, a modified exhaust system, a new air intake manifold and a chrome pulley. There’s also a wider rear tyre. It’s a very streetfriendly machine. The fastest I’ve done on this one is 190kmph.” Entrepreneur Pervez Damania like the distinctive sound of the Harley. “I have always loved the lure of the open road and no other motorcycle conquers the open road other than a Harley. I currently own a 1200 Sportster Custom 2006 model and have just placed the order for the Harley Night Rod. A Harley is not just a bike. It’s a species of transportation and I wanted one since I was a teenager. For me it's a religious experience,” says Damania.
Restaurateur Dr Suhas Awchat, a Harley man who dresses for the role right down to a trendy and sporty Harley Davidson watch, agrees, “I love the sound of a Harley. I purchased mine almost two years ago. It’s a 1,500cc bike and I ride it only at night after 1.30 am. My father was angry when I bought the bike. I told him its not a bike — it’s a Harley! It’s a cult symbol and for someone culturally rich.”
In terms of peppiness, Harleys are the most powerful beasts on the Indian roads. States Jimmy, “Yet, with speed comes the need for safety. Respect your Harley, and she will respect you, because if you don’t — it’ll take them a few seconds for them to get you a hard landing!”
Old 3rd April 2007, 13:13   #29
Senior - BHPian

Are Harleys LHD or RHD
Old 3rd April 2007, 13:50   #30
Senior - BHPian

my latest form of investment.. not midcap, not long term, not land, not houses. . .its MANGOES.

Most Viewed