Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2009, 13:32   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
They appeal to a different sort of crowd - for whom speed and control dont matter at all. Its the image that matters - and HD have successfully created the image over the years, supported by hundreds of suppliers of 'custom' chrome and leather parts (that you can buy off the shelf!!!!), a lifestyle created with tonnes of cool merchandize and accessories, etc.

I am sure that crowd will be glad that 'cool' comes cheap. Again in India we will have a lot of people who care two hoots about the image or the lifestyle, but are taken up by the fact that they can buy an 800cc bike for about 4 lakhs. There will be loads of them.

I think people here will be comfortable with spending on leisure upto that price point. IMHO 12 - 15 lakhs for a motorcycle is out of range for the vast majority, and this is where the Japs are.

I despise Harley Davidson motorcycles (not the brand - I love the marketing job!) and 'lifestyle riders' with a vengence, but will be glad if HD brings their bikes at these prices - it will force the others to become more realistic with their prices, which is good for all of us!
Yes, hopefully the Japanese brands will be made to think.
Old 9th April 2009, 14:24   #92
Senior - BHPian

hmm....this is interesting

I have been contemplating a weekend bike for some time now, and my inclination is more towards cruisers thatn sport bikes. call me a sucker for the whole marketing and image spiel, but then thats me. also, i feel that a cruiser would perfectly complement my daily ride- the Safari Dicor!

i almost picked up an avenger 200 a couple of months back for want of anything else, though that was a strict compromise. but then, the R thingy kicked in and all unneeded expenses have been put on hold.

BUT, if Harley gets a decent looking criser for under 4L by the end o fthis year, early 2010, then finances permitting, i surely will be queing up. Bike purchasing decision deferred till then
Old 9th April 2009, 15:01   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Even if they bring it at 2L, I wouldn't buy it. I gave them very very poor ratings while surveying the 13 bikes before they revealed to us that its HD.
With your bike tastes, you certainly would not buy a Harley but there are those who want to move out of the RE age to something which makes a much bigger statement.

Like Steer says..

Quote:
They appeal to a different sort of crowd - for whom speed and control dont matter at all. Its the image that matters -

I think people here will be comfortable with spending on leisure upto that price point. IMHO 12 - 15 lakhs for a motorcycle is out of range for the vast majority, and this is where the Japs are.
Highly Highly overpriced. Thanks Harley for the under 3L option. (I will really believe it when I see it in a showroom near me)

Quote:
if HD brings their bikes at these prices - it will force the others to become more realistic with their prices, which is good for all of us!
I Agree strongly to this. I am hoping for the Reliance Mobile ka effect here. For a decent legal sports bike in this country we have to shell out more than 12Ls ? Seriously ?

Quote:
Though at 3 lakhs we really should expect a Coimbatore pumpset.
Come on Steer, Give the yankees some credit. Would they ever use anything on their bikes which did not go ..

Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato!

Last edited by IronWolf : 9th April 2009 at 15:03.
Old 9th April 2009, 22:26   #94
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Before buying my VFR I rode a Springer Softail and was totally disappointed. Like someone said it really did feel like riding a krishi engine !

BUTTTTT 10 years down the line with the VFR still in my garage I want to get a Harley. Why? Just for that sound. The sound of a Harley pulling away or blipping as you slow down changing gears. And for the looks, the million dollar looks. No cruiser appeals to me like the Harley. Only other bike that makes me drool is the yet to be launched Indian.

So if I buy it its not because of the comfort or refinement or the reliability. Its just for the divine sound, the looks and the joy of cruising on hard metal. And its retro styling. Love it.

In all the years I lived abroad encountering Harleys, let me be honest, they simply drew me to them like magnets, gaze locked. They ooze style, such raw beauty. My favourite is the Softail. The one I really fell in love with was the Heritage Softail Nostalgia. I could park that bike in my living room.

For those of you thinking I am off my rocker to say this about Harleys, do please know that the other bike I ride has been rated one of the world's finest allrounder machines, the 98 VFR 800 from Honda. And I still feel there's something awesome about Harleys. The looks and that sound. That sound comes from an eccentric firing cycle. I suppose a lot about Harleys is eccentric

Actually this is just it. The ethos of Harleys and riding them is about charting your own road. Like the bike is like no other bike on the planet its about riding your own path. riding different. Making your own road. The endless customising the bike allows you is only to personalise your transport. Do you guys know that most of the models were inspired by the special customs owners prepared?

The association of Harleys with their owners is mindboggling. Its more than just a cult. Its a whole life, for so many people who are into Harleys.
My friends tease me that they'll follow in a car picking up parts as they fall off when I ride a Harley or hire a full time mechanic to help me maintain it !

There's a magic to the machine like there is to Ferraris. The ethos, flavour, history call it what you will, the pedigree, the people, the rides

If you love riding a bike enojying the countryside listening to the sounds as you go along, you'll fall in love with the world of Harleys.

Often when I would ride in my superbiking groups of 13-14 guys we'd encounter some 30 odd Harleys. What a sound. What a mindblowing sound. The best I heard was a group of some 70 odd Harleys riding by. It felt like some army was invading town. Those thumping V-twins have some connection to the thump of your heart. Something primal. Something very human
Old 9th April 2009, 23:36   #95
Team-BHP Support

Fantastic post Deepak, you could not have described a Harley any better.
Now, lets see how Harley works things out.
Prabhu was supposed to be headed to the Bangalore workshop this evening, any inputs there?

manson.
Old 10th April 2009, 10:42   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
If you love riding a bike enojying the countryside listening to the sounds as you go along, you'll fall in love with the world of Harleys.

Often when I would ride in my superbiking groups of 13-14 guys we'd encounter some 30 odd Harleys. What a sound. What a mindblowing sound. The best I heard was a group of some 70 odd Harleys riding by. It felt like some army was invading town. Those thumping V-twins have some connection to the thump of your heart. Something primal. Something very human
+1 to that, I was waiting for you to look up the thread and post a comment. You just put down in words why the Harley sounds touch the soul.

Last edited by downsouth : 10th April 2009 at 10:44.
Old 10th April 2009, 11:45   #97
BHPian

I melted when i read all the post by DKG. I somehow liked my MT01 for the thumping sound only, since i dont have India based HD retails so i am happy with HD sound-like MT01 !
Old 10th April 2009, 12:45   #98
Senior - BHPian

Beautifully put DKG. I agree with you completely. HD is a different bike altogether. You can love it, You can hate it but you can't ignore it
Old 10th April 2009, 12:52   #99
BHPian

Get Respect Video

A funny video
Old 10th April 2009, 13:23   #100
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Ahh I get the good feeling we have quite a few prospective HOG's around here

PS Before anyone takes personal affront it stands for Harley Owners Group

So what's it going to be?

HYD HOG's for the Hyderabad group
BANG HOG's for the Bangalore group
MAD HOG's for the Madras group
BOMB HOG's for the Bombay group

sounds like fun to me !

CKD is the route. I hope they set up a small assembly plant, the bikes would be so much more affordable and can compete more effectively.

Last edited by DKG : 10th April 2009 at 13:30.
Old 10th April 2009, 15:49   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
CKD is the route. I hope they set up a small assembly plant, the bikes would be so much more affordable and can compete more effectively.
Nice thumping post there, i have reservations that harley's will go the CKD route. It will lead to the dilution of the 'Made an America' factor that has been one of the primary propellants of their success.
Will be quite a u-turn if they actually do.... keeping my fingers crossed
Old 24th August 2009, 17:57   #102
BHPian

Harley Davidson in India 3 days & counting

Look what I found.

"The official launch will be on the 27th of August by Matt Levatich, president and chief operating officer of the company"

Harley rides into Hindustan

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th August 2009 at 18:42. Reason: Font tags removed and post moved to existing thread.
Old 24th August 2009, 19:53   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter.e.go View Post
Look what I found.

"The official launch will be on the 27th of August by Matt Levatich, president and chief operating officer of the company"

Harley rides into Hindustan

Thats a wonderful find my friend. Some months back, some of us were invited to check out some of the Harley Davidsons in Bangalore. We were sure that they were going to be released but were offered no information. We were not even allowed to ride the bikes but were allowed to sit, touch and even rev the engines but that was all. I had written about my blog about it too but some people were skeptical that the Harley Davidson would be brought to India. So there!
But I would still wait for the Triumph?
Old 24th August 2009, 20:30   #104
Senior - BHPian

Wow their website looks promising Harley Davidson

The Ticker on the website is cool too, I wonder what all models they will launch in India

Harley Davidson is Here - Website Launched-hd.jpg
Old 25th August 2009, 00:27   #105
BHPian

I'm not sure I might be late to reply in this thread but pls do know that I'm from USA and I do own a Harley Dyna.
Harley never makes anything lesser than 883cc which is a sportster.
There sportster are classified as 883XL and 1200XL and XL stands for "Experimental Lightweight" said that they also sell BUELL sports bike...

IMO all the japs sports bike has crushed and killed the BUELL bike in USA and honestly they look and perform downright ugly compared to the JAPS sports bike like busa's/gixxer/s/R1...

BTW coming back to Harley they are "often imitated but never duplicated"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks