Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2014, 06:53   #241
BHPian

Re: Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review

Here are some links to Dyno comparison pics between street 750, Bonnie and Iron 883. Please note that one for the Bonnie is from a different website so some differences are likely in reality. Cant really comment on the accuracy of these tests/claims.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/04/02...-dynojet-dyno/

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/258/16...omparison.aspx

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/03/24...pecifications/

Last edited by argchoff : 28th July 2014 at 07:04. Reason: Images have copyright on them
Old 28th July 2014, 10:07   #242
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
The 650 costs around 6 lac and easily does 200 kph. Why spend more on anything else then?

Both mills propel the bikes to 100 kph around the 5 second mark. In fact, IIRC the street is actually quicker by around half a second

Totally agreed. Fit / finish and especially braking is supposed to be 100 times better on the Bonnie. Harley should be smacked on its fat bottom for this; and replacing Michelins with those MRFs

Or lets take a step back and understand why anyone would buy a Bonnie and not spend extra 1.5 ish lac and go for the triple? It easily breaches the 225 kmph barrier and therefore totally worth the money, no?

650 is a lot of bike for the Money they are asking! Its a worthy Tourer and an Automatic Robotic Choice for bang for buck biker.

As far as Night & Day difference goes b/w the two motors , I think half a second in 0-100 is a different planet , a different world in motorcycles.
Its going to be used more often by a rider than the top speed.

I saw street up close and only complain I could come up with was the feeling of being cramped and my Knees coming above gastank . By the way my bullet now feels like I am sitting on a wooden plank and holding a handpump handle, may be I have been spoiled by sportster. Fit and Finish of street- I could not comprehend whats that Fuss all about on online forums?

As far as MRF tyre goes, I have recently replaced rear tyre of my bike with MRF Rvez 150/60 (3100/- VS 15k bucks for MICH). First few days I thought It would throw my butt off on 40* lean , but slowly I have grown in confidence and has not found Much diffenece in Lean of my bike with Scortcher or MRF , May be that Scortcher 11 was an overkill for everyday rides and actually could support lot more lean in race bikes.

I actually never understood why would any one want a Bonniville at such a ridiculous price , It does not stand out in any department!
I am sure people who have gone for Bonnie would have seen something that I have not!

Last edited by dustom_99 : 28th July 2014 at 10:24.
Old 28th July 2014, 11:25   #243
Senior - BHPian

By a happy coincidence (vis a vis these latest round of posts) I was chugging along happily on my Bullet 500 aimlessly through the streets of Camp yesterday, enjoying the typical Pune Piddle on my face, the slow thump of Doppie reassuring under me, when I took the turn to Dorabjee's wanting to stop at Yazdan for an Irani chai. I saw a shiny familiar lookng bike up ahead, and a second later it clicked, it was not a Bajaj Avenger (the erstwhile Eliminator), but the Harley Street! Went after him and nodded and we both stopped by the side and got talking to him about the bike (brand new, hardly a month old).

He was a pretty small rider (maybe 5'6") and looked perfect on the bike. 19 year old kid, graduating from an R15. Perfect. The bike is a really small bike. No two ways about it. Its low and its about as long as the Eliminator. The MRF tyre prominanet up front further adds to the Eliminator look. The bike is pretty bang for buck though. Its 4.6 lacs on road her in Pune. Not bad at all for a 750 cc V-twin. Some of the after market parts though are expensive as for other Harleys. The crash guard was 21000 bucks. The rear integrated carrier cum mini backrest was some 15000 bucks. The front blue white LED headlight was some similar obscne amount.

He had added a different handle as well with a different sweep and reach for him, and said that different seat versions were also availabble for taller riders. Don't know what a seat is going to do for what is essentially a pretty small (and cramped) bike in terms of seat to handle to foot control geometry. I can well understand now what someone was saying about the knees above the hips riding position for taller riders.

I requested him to start the bike and the sound is exactly like any other "modern" bike. Fast, whirring, muted. He apologetically said he was planning aftermarket pipes but that they would take another 6 months to come per compan sources (?). The fit and finish looked perfectly ok to me. The central weld seam on the tank is prominent though - wonder why.

I asked him about the top end, though obviously it was a new bike and he would not have been wringing the throttle as yet. Per company claims, it is supposed to be 155 kmph. Overall I got the impression that its a nice Harley version of a Hyosung Aqila type cruiser. But definitely not a Harley.

Last edited by ebonho : 28th July 2014 at 11:34.
Old 28th July 2014, 12:35   #244
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Some serious discussions going on here.

Day before, i visited keerthi triumph and the HD showroom.

Bonneville STD is 6,85,625/- OTR in Bangalore
Bonneville T100 is 7,89,306/- OTR
Add arrow exhaust which costs about 63000/- ( they say it bumps the BHP by 6)

HD Street 750 is 5,00,000/- OTR
+ one will need basic accessories like crash guard, etc which are all very expensive.

SO in stock form, there price difference is 1.85L
add about 75-80k more to each for some must have accessories like exhaust, protection, etc.

I even took a longish test ride of the std bonnie, about 6-7 kms. Felt at home with the bike. Feels like a heavier version of bullet. The front end felt a bit heavy at crawling speeds, not sure it it was the tyre pressure. the bike had ARROW exhaust with the db killer removed, and it sounded very similar to a big sports bike esp when slightly revved. The engine is butter smooth. pickup felt very similar to the 390, with lots of torque. does pack a punch. During the test ride, i was to follow the triumph representative, who was on a daytona, and he was generous with the throttle whenever the traffic allowed. I could almost keep up with him on the bonnie. handling is top notch. couple of minutes into the ride, and i was weaving well between the traffic. tried leaning inside cubbon park stretch, and it felt as confident inspiring as the 390. straight line braking is as precise as a four wheeler. At a turning, there was fine gravel, and to test, i applied both the brakes, and almost dropped the bike. the rear skidded, but i somehow managed to gain balance and continue. ABS feature would have been desirable esp at that price point. The exhaust note is very addictive with the arrow. A bonnie came in for service with OEM exhaust, with a non-existent exhaust note. So i guess an arrow, or a freeflow would be almost must for anyone buying. Ergonomics are spot on. I really liked the suspension, esp after the stiff 390.

To sum it up, it felt like a COMPLETE motorcycle. Good power, good torque, good ergonomics, good handling, braking, tyres, good fit and finish, basically everything it good, rather very good about the bike. ( except the horn).

I wanted to ride the HD street 750, back to back, but the HD folks asked to come on a week day, as they dont entertain test rides on weekends. Their loss eventually. the showroom was crowded, and all the sales guys looked very busy moving around. i had to demand their attention. Managed to sit on a display bike, and it felt very low. knee protrudes above the tank, which felt a bit odd. fit and finish wise, the bonnie is obviously much better, but the display street 750 looked better then all the exposed wiring pic, etc which we have seen on the net. i have managed to convinced them to give me a ride on a saturday, as weekdays are not feasible with me. They have agreed provided i land there at sharp 10:30. Will try and test it as well.

The bonnie std at 6.86L is expensive for me, and it does not just stop there. I will have to have that arrow exhaust, which takes the cost to 7.5L
T100 is more appealing and sexy anyday, but not sure if that justifies a lakh extra. :(
I have a 2007 alto, and wife pressurizing to upgrade the car before i indulge anymore into bikes. And the issue of a loan sanction, as i work as and file taxes an independent consultant. Banks look for securities, or secure jobs. I had tried for a loan for the 390, but the bank guys were reluctant and were asking so many papers, that i decided against a loan. 390 amount was relatively manageable but WILL need a loan for this one. If everything falls in place, most probably the bonnie it will be.
Old 28th July 2014, 12:36   #245
BHPian

Doc, I think I passed by this very same bike last afternoon around 2-2:30 in camp. I had turned right after cafe Diamond Queen & had gone a few meters when the Blue-White Headlight caught my attention. It was visible from far due to the cloudy weather. The bike was Black in color & looks very small. The exhaust is a big disappointment.
coolrain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 12:40   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
....If everything falls in place, most probably the bonnie it will be.
Waah! I love the direction in which things are moving up here nasirkaka! Take the plunge..
Old 28th July 2014, 13:42   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post

About 750 - I am told that the initial acceleration will indeed blow you away, but I don't know about other aspects.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Yes, felt it better than Iron's. Wish it was more maneuverable and had given confidence that it can stop in time and hence can suggest to someone who had a budget and is upgrading from a Bullet.

@ nasirkaka; do check out Bonnie with HiFlow exhaust too. 25k extra . Also, do you know that stock silencers are 25kg on bonnie and Arrows are 12-13kg lighter?

Last edited by jkdas : 28th July 2014 at 13:44.
Old 28th July 2014, 13:44   #248
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

I asked him about the top end, though obviously it was a new bike and he would not have been wringing the throttle as yet. Per company claims, it is supposed to be 155 kmph.
The rate that Top speed is falling , Soon we would have a Time machine to peek into past! I am sure in a month or Two it would be (Minus)100KPH , very nice ride to travel time .
How can a Bike having 13.xx quater mile time @94MPH have 96mph as Top speed? It does 110kph at 4500rpm , with another 3500rpm still left in the tank! That gives it Theoritical top speed of 195kph , I am sure It could manage 180 with top bhp coming in @8k rpm , while sportsters are managing it with lesser bhp.
Old 28th July 2014, 14:32   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Nasir, Thanks for sharing a detailed feedback of your test ride of the Bonnie.

You sound smitten like most of us who rode the Bonnie for the first time

Quote:
I could almost keep up with him on the bonnie. handling is top notch. couple of minutes into the ride, and i was weaving well between the traffic. tried leaning inside cubbon park stretch, and it felt as confident inspiring as the 390. straight line braking is as precise as a four wheeler. At a turning, there was fine gravel, and to test, i applied both the brakes, and almost dropped the bike. the rear skidded, but i somehow managed to gain balance and continue. ABS feature would have been desirable esp at that price point. The exhaust note is very addictive with the arrow. A bonnie came in for service with OEM exhaust, with a non-existent exhaust note. So i guess an arrow, or a freeflow would be almost must for anyone buying. Ergonomics are spot on. I really liked the suspension, esp after the stiff 390
I have completed 5500kms and rode the bike through all terrain ( Highways, 2 Lane roads, some dirt roads) and iam yet to skid even once. Iam thoroughly impressed with the Metzelers and I think they provide phenomenal grip even at such crazy lean angles I tried while taking turns. Though I agree with all that at this price point, ABS should have been part of the package

Also, please use front brakes maximum and just a very gentle tap to rear brake.

I cannot repeat enough, For me personally, front brakes of Bonnie is primary confidence inspiring factor at highway speeds and I know it can save me from any untoward incident.

Quote:
To sum it up, it felt like a COMPLETE motorcycle. Good power, good torque, good ergonomics, good handling, braking, tyres, good fit and finish, basically everything it good, rather very good about the bike. ( except the horn)
Spot on. Some folks here are always scratching their heads as to why even Bonnie sells, I reckon they need to ride it to know it .

You have summed it up correctly. It's a "Complete" motorcycle and excels in all departments as you mentioned above.

Quote:
The bonnie std at 6.86L is expensive for me, and it does not just stop there. I will have to have that arrow exhaust, which takes the cost to 7.5L
Initially when I rode the Bonnie with Arrow Exhausts, i disliked it.

But, a second run for a longer period convinced me that Arrow Exhaust completely changes the character of Bonnie ( while retaining its butter smooth engine characteristic) and bumps up its power considerably and its quite noticeable when compared to a stock bonnie. It was doing wheelie in higher gears with negligible throttle input and that plastered a grin on my face like nothing

Iam all set to plonk my 60K on Arrows but, dealership is clueless on when they would get the stock

Quote:
T100 is more appealing and sexy anyday, but not sure if that justifies a lakh extra
Please ride the T100 too, its a completely different machine in terms of handling ( everything else remains same as Bonnie SE) which according to me is inferior than SE

Quote:
If everything falls in place, most probably the bonnie it will be.
Is it good to commit now? Who knows your saturday ride on HD 750 may make you fall head over heels in love with 750? Look forward to your TD experience of 750 as well and with a comparison report

Goodluck on selecting a bike that you like best !!!

Last edited by mobike008 : 28th July 2014 at 14:33.
Old 28th July 2014, 16:49   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrain View Post
Doc, I think I passed by this very same bike last afternoon around 2-2:30 in camp. I had turned right after cafe Diamond Queen & had gone a few meters when the Blue-White Headlight caught my attention. It was visible from far due to the cloudy weather. The bike was Black in color & looks very small. The exhaust is a big disappointment.
Were you on a big ass 4 projector Green and Black Kawasaki by any chance, accompanied by a red and black Hayabusa? Around that time I was ambling along in the same area with my youngest daughter sitting up front on the tank for a joy ride. The weather was so perfect! Puneri Piddle at its lightest and finest. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
The rate that Top speed is falling , Soon we would have a Time machine to peek into past! I am sure in a month or Two it would be (Minus)100KPH , very nice ride to travel time .
How can a Bike having 13.xx quater mile time @94MPH have 96mph as Top speed? It does 110kph at 4500rpm , with another 3500rpm still left in the tank! That gives it Theoritical top speed of 195kph , I am sure It could manage 180 with top bhp coming in @8k rpm , while sportsters are managing it with lesser bhp.
I am just reporting what the owner told me. You would need to take it up with him? Either way I am an unbiased observer, as I am interested in neither bike to really push one over the other. You do need to be less prickly on a forum full of bikers and friends. Would make your stay (and ours) much more pleasant.

Last edited by ebonho : 28th July 2014 at 17:04.
Old 28th July 2014, 17:06   #251
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

I am just reporting what the owner told me. You would need to take it up with him? Either way I am an unbiased observer, as I am interested in neither bike to really push one over the other. You do need to be less prickly on a forum full of bikers and friends. Would make your stay (and ours) much more pleasant.

Did you really need to report something you already knew was not right? on an Online place where people look & read before they take the Plunge?
If some owner told you it runs on Diesel , will you report it On team-bhp? and say "company claims It runs on Diesel"?

Well I will take you Advice this time , Just for a change. So that I could pass it on to someone needing it when the time comes!
cheers
Old 28th July 2014, 17:11   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
Did you really need to report something you already knew was not right? on an Online place where people look & read before they take the Plunge?
If some owner told you it runs on Diesel , will you report it On team-bhp? and say "company claims It runs on Diesel"?

Well I will take you Advice this time , Just for a change. So that I could pass it on to someone needing it when the time comes!
cheers
I do not see what you find patently unbelievable about a standard conservative claim on performance by a company not famous the world over for the reliability of its engines - especially when pushed.

155 kmph would probably be as far as HD India are willing to stick their neck out officially in backing what is as yet a completely field un-tested product.

Not surprising when their bigger siblings barely do a bit more.

Flat out .....

P.S. BHP? Interesting. Would you like to enlighten us about how much BHP the Sportster pumps out vis a vis the Street? Been hearing all sorts of urban legends surrounding these ......

Last edited by ebonho : 28th July 2014 at 17:18.
Old 28th July 2014, 18:04   #253
BANNED

Mod Note: Read our rules!

1. Keep sarcasm off the forum.

2. As you have been warned before, we do NOT permit discussions on top speeds.

3. PROOF-READ your posts for spelling & grammatical errors.

Last edited by GTO : 30th July 2014 at 17:31.
Old 28th July 2014, 18:07   #254
Senior - BHPian

Dustom, minus the sales pitch, can you please let us know the bhp figures of the Sportster and the Street.

Eagerly waiting ......

Bated breath and all.

How do you propose we measure top speed? Speed gun from a standing start at a pre-specfied distance?

Or a Go Pro video of the speedo ......

My Bullet oscillates between 160 and 120 kmph on a good day. More if I were to throw it off a cliff, given enough height, but haven't tried that yet ...... just saying.

Last edited by ebonho : 28th July 2014 at 18:12.
Old 28th July 2014, 19:00   #255
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Goodluck on selecting a bike that you like best !!!
Thankyou..

Bonnie and kawa W800 have been on my bucket list for a long time now.. of-course along with the likes of tiger, and the BMW GS 800.

Now that triumph is here, and tiger is beyond reach, i would have typically gone with the bonnie, provided loan etc worked out fine.

HD as a brand/lifestyle has always excited me, but i am not sure if i would fit the brand (i did buy an expensive HD leather jacket on impulse once, and a T-shirt there after, but thats about it). Then comes all the news and excitement about the street 750 with all new engine platform, LC smooth engine with good low end etc, Add to that the considerable price difference and it disturbs the mindset. So was my case.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 28th July 2014 at 19:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks