Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2014, 11:59   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejith.j View Post
Its mentioned in the booking form that you would need to pay the price applicable on the delivery date. So most likely it would cost you more . Check with the dealership once and they would be able to confirm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjun04 View Post
So how does this work for bookings already made? I booked in June and and due to receive my street in 2 weeks. Would I pay the earlier price or the new price?
Prices applicable at the time of delivery! They highlight that when you plonk down the booking amount.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2014, 01:19   #302
BHPian

Seems like a good ploy... take a booking > make the customer wait 5 months > increase the price in the mean time...
rjun04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2014, 22:24   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhimanyu_singh View Post
Now i'm confused to whether take delivery in nov/dec or to wait till Jan to get the 2015 model. 2015 model would be useful in my opinion when i decide to upgrade and sell this one off in the future, this may be far fetched though.
Abhimanyu, get it as soon as they offer one. Henceforth, everyone's bound to get 2015 model. If you want to be sure, you can ask for the VIN no when they tell you that your bike has arrive and check it yourself.
Old 15th October 2014, 22:42   #304
BHPian

This is a 750 at the Kolkata HD Service center.

Old 16th October 2014, 13:33   #305
BHPian

As a regular rider of the Street 750, here's my two cents worth:

1. This is not a cruiser - this is a quick shifting, punchy streetfighter that looks like a Harley. It can ALSO be used as a cruiser, but not by everybody. More on that in a bit. But its core competence is as a street bike with huge torque across the rev range.

2. The engine is the highlight here. Bags of fun in traffic or on the open road - you have so much torque, and coupled with the bike's surprising agility for its size, you can carve through traffic and exploit gaps pretty nicely. On the highway, the engine gives you power on tap even at 130+ kmph. Anybody complaining that it doesn't sound like a traditional HD is missing the point a little bit - this ISN'T a traditional HD, so why the heck should it sound like one? The 750's heart is its own, distinct experience, and is better for it.

3. The gearbox is interesting. There's no rev meter on the console, so you're shifting pretty much on rev feel. Now on feel alone, 1st to 4th feel like pretty short gears, urging you to shift through them quickly. They can be pushed surprisingly high on revs, but the sweet spot feels like you get to it pretty quick. 5th and 6th feel taller, with 6th feeling REALLY tall and comfortable anywhere from 70 to 150+kmph. End result - Quick shifting when accelerating, but also capable of sitting in 5th and 6th for long stretches on open roads. However...

4. The riding position works well for shorter men, or those with short legs. If you're taller, or have long legs, the foot peg position will start making itself felt on your hamstrings and knees over long distances - they need to be set further forward for tall riders to be able to use this as a long distance cruiser. As things stand, I found myself naturally crouching forward more than sitting back (it felt more natural with my feet where they were and to counteract the wind blast), which works great when riding it as a street bike, but not so much as an all day mile-muncher.

5. The build quality is average. The tank's spine is visible, some wires are visible and not shielded too well, switchgear is average. You could say that expecting premium HD quality at 4.5 lakh is a pipe dream, but still.

5. The brakes have very little feel to them. Front feels pretty wooden with little feedback unless I use two fingers and squeeze. The rear is iffy. Overall, probably the weakest link on this bike.

6. On a bike that accelerates like a steroid fed monster at any gear, and has oodles of power on tap even at 130+, and has an unintuitively located high/low beam switch, THERE IS NO PASS SWITCH! What were HD thinking??? There can be no excuse - this omission is criminal. For shame, HD.

7. Entry level HD it might be, but Harley Tax is alive and kicking. We just finished 1600 km and got the first service done a few days back, and fitted a Screamin' Eagle exhaust on the bike. Around 20k. Christ on a bike.

8. The HD ownership experience is quite nice - premium parking at some hotels with attendants to take your gear, HoG rides with mechanics along... nice to be pampered a little. But be careful when riding solo, especially in remote places. This is still a new brand, and most local mechanics don't know what to do with the bike in an emergency repair situation. Carry essential spares on remote rides - I guarantee you won't find them in most places. Not yet, at least.

All told, I'm enjoying the bike a great deal. Ideal for my 40 km one way commute to my factory, which has a little city riding and a lot of highway riding (through moving traffic and on some occasions, open roads). Carves through the traffic like a knife through butter. I will not use it for long rides - not comfortable and relaxed enough for my height and leg length, so I'm getting a TBTS500 for that.

In spite of the 750's flaws and imperfections, when you cut a gear, open that throttle wide and blitz past those two cars trying to overtake each other at 100 kmph, you'll find yourself grinning like a little kid until you reach the next cluster of vehicles.

And then you'll do it again.
Silverflash is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 13:07   #306
BHPian

Er-6N is here. Although I totally love the 750, am not finding any ownership reviews about how reliable it will be on long rides. This thread is not moving, no noise anywhere. Dunno where people went and where the enthu died down.

My money will probably go to the Kwacker for being a proven bike, reliable, and good for 1000-km runs.
Old 7th November 2014, 13:33   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflash View Post
As a regular rider of the Street 750, here's my two cents worth:
Just read this report, from an actual ownership perspective. Nice to read about the handling and the power on tap with the serious push in the roll-ons. My only gripe about the bike, as before, is that its a size (at least) too small. I met a small rider on a brand new Street once in Pune (wrote about it too) and he looked good on the bike, and the bike looked good under him.

Last edited by ebonho : 7th November 2014 at 13:34.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 14:02   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Just read this report, from an actual ownership perspective. Nice to read about the handling and the power on tap with the serious push in the roll-ons. My only gripe about the bike, as before, is that its a size (at least) too small. I met a small rider on a brand new Street once in Pune (wrote about it too) and he looked good on the bike, and the bike looked good under him.
A pleasure to contribute! I haven't started an ownership thread for the bike because it isn't really mine, it's my uncle's. But we live in a joint family in the same house, and so I end up riding it in the city when he's traveling, which is pretty often.

Completely agree about it feeling a size too small. My uncle is short (5'6") and the bike seats him perfectly. I'm 6', and find it cramped. But lordy, it is fun in the right conditions. Get it onto a fast road with light to medium traffic, and it is endlessly engaging to ride.

I'm spending more time on my TBTS500 to run it in now, but I'll post updates here whenever I take the 750 for a spin.
Silverflash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 14:33   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm 6', and find it cramped. But lordy, it is fun in the right conditions. Get it onto a fast road with light to medium traffic, and it is endlessly engaging to ride.
I'm 6' too, and a big 6', so yes, it does look too Feel-like-God-ish to me. I always suspected it was going to have a gem of a motor though, so glad to be proven right on that one.

Do PM me the top speed you have been able to push her to. Those are some mindboggingly good roads you guys have around Chennai ...
Old 7th November 2014, 15:41   #310
BHPian

Quote:
I'm 6' too, and a big 6', so yes, it does look too Feel-like-God-ish to me. I always suspected it was going to have a gem of a motor though, so glad to be proven right on that one.

Do PM me the top speed you have been able to push her to. Those are some mindboggingly good roads you guys have around Chennai ...
PM sent.

The motor is a true blue beauty for sure. Not only does it have torque across the band, it doesn't feel coarse or shrill at all. Meaty, juicy pull throughout.

Yeah, we're lucky with the roads around Chennai. Some of it at the outskirts has been messed up by the rains, but once you get past them, some pretty good tarmac to burn. We're also lucky to have the racetrack available if you really want to push your ride. Have you thought about bringing your ride over to go a few rounds with the mighty Irungattukottai circuit, or have you already?

Erm, off topic - I've noticed people here address you as Doc. Is that because you are a doctor, or is it a Bugs Bunny reference?
Old 7th November 2014, 15:45   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you thought about bringing your ride over to go a few rounds with the mighty Irungattukottai circuit, or have you already?
Long long back, in 2006, 2007. Its too tough man. The logistics of the whole thing just kills you and takes away from the fun.

Quote:
Erm, off topic - I've noticed people here address you as Doc. Is that because you are a doctor, or is it a Bugs Bunny reference?
LOL yeah am a doctor buddy. A medical one. Of human beings.
Old 7th November 2014, 15:50   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Long long back, in 2006, 2007. Its too tough man. The logistics of the whole thing just kills you and takes away from the fun.

LOL yeah am a doctor buddy. A medical one. Of human beings.
Ah, OK, mystery solved. Doc it is.

Y'know, you should think about just coming over and riding a round of the amateur category bike races if the logistics of bringing the bike over are too much of a headache.

I haven't been to the circuit in a while, but there were always races where enthusiasts could sign up to buy a ride for one race weekend. Just bring your gear and your skills (having paid up, of course), and the bike, rubber and mech support is part of the package. Should be there still - you might enjoy it as a raceday holiday.

Think about it, Doc - the fastest bike in the world is always a rented one.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 8th November 2014 at 02:40. Reason: Please restrict smiley usage to two-per-post as per the rules.
Silverflash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 16:20   #313
BHPian

Street 750 seems to be fulfilling many a young IT guys dream of owning a Harley. Been in a single IT company for 13+ years and never seen a Harley in 2 wheeler parking lot until just 2 months bike. Suddenly there are 2 Street 750's in the parking. Lots and lots of Classic 350's TB 350's occasional TB 500 (Actually getting bored seeing more and more bulls on the road and in parking lots). I met one of the owners and tried to understand his biking history. There was nothing to talk of. He just felt that at 5-6 lakhs I can afford Harley lets get it.
Old 7th November 2014, 16:44   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Street 750 seems to be fulfilling many a young IT guys dream of owning a Harley. Been in a single IT company for 13+ years and never seen a Harley in 2 wheeler parking lot until just 2 months bike. Suddenly there are 2 Street 750's in the parking. Lots and lots of Classic 350's TB 350's occasional TB 500 (Actually getting bored seeing more and more bulls on the road and in parking lots). I met one of the owners and tried to understand his biking history. There was nothing to talk of. He just felt that at 5-6 lakhs I can afford Harley lets get it.
I'm more than a little worried by the growing trend of first-time bikers getting on machines like the 750. Even a RE bike is fine for a learner, but the 750 has potential for serious trouble built into it.

It is heavy, it can pull clean and clear all the way through its rev range, and the brakes aren't up to very much. Add one inexperienced biker to that mix and you've got yourself a recipe for (potentially) a very bad day.

The broader picture is excellent though. If someone would have told me 10 years ago that we would be seeing bikes like the 750 and the 390 made and sold in India at these kinds of prices, I'd have laughed it off.

The only way forward is for proper sport category licensing. It is required to weed out the posers from the bikers and to keep the roads safe for everybody on them.
Silverflash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2014, 00:12   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Street 750 seems to be fulfilling many a young IT guys dream of owning a Harley. I met one of the owners and tried to understand his biking history. There was nothing to talk of. He just felt that at 5-6 lakhs I can afford Harley lets get it.
An SBK is pretty expensive , a little more than a car of the same price range so I can understand some people might sell off their bike after finding they bit off more than they could chew (financially or in terms their ability to handle the power). But buying a toy that's a a few months to a year's salary worth without any love of riding, that's just nuts. Is it just to show off that they have a "Harley" ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks