Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2015, 19:43   #361
BHPian

Re: Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by argchoff View Post
It would be interesting to see the brakes being upgraded as well as new colours.....And then.....it would be great to have a street750 vs Bonnie comparo thread to help potential buyers make the choice. The pune HD dealer gives a test ride only in the amanora shopping centre internal road which is by no means helpful to buyers as regards the ride quality and power of the bike etc.
Which cruiser for two-up riding?

I ride an ER6n for my solo rides and am looking for a bike that would be good for two-up riding, an entry-level cruiser in the 6 to 8 lakh bracket. These are my observations, and I hope someone can help me peg it correctly. Am sure many of you out there are asking the same questions, so here's an attempt to compare three bikes: The Triumph Bonneville SE, Harley Street 750, and the Kawasaki Vulcan S 650, which is rumored to be launched soon in India.

Harley Street 750

The Harley is the cheapest of the lot, and with better brakes and better mirrors, it can be a real value for money bike. It is customizable to the T, you can get the seat made at a local seatmaker's, drop the expensive Harley backrest for a top box, which costs only about 5-6 K. You can always change to better tyres, probably Michelin, because everybody has been complaining about the brakes and blaming the MRFs for the poor braking. In all fairness to MRF, this revzilla review of a 750 shod with Michelin also mentions that the braking is real bad.

Things that go in favor of the Harley are:
  • Ground clearance of 145 mm. (Ninja 650 has 130 mm, Bonneville has 110 mm, and Kawasaki Vulcan S has 130 mm) A huge plus, this.
  • Great suspension: check the revzilla review to see how good the suspension is
  • Price: about 2 lakhs cheaper than the Bonnie, and if the Vulcan is launched at 6 lakhs ex-showroom, that too is going to cost north of 7 lakhs OTR in Bangalore
  • Engine: peppy, quick...the one I rode had some problem with idling, but am sure that's not a common problem.
  • Comfort for pillion (customize the seat at Rao's, and you have a plush ride for the pillion)

Things that should have improved:
  • Mirrors (replace with Avenger ones, but probably those don't fit)
  • Brakes (err, t-bhp is testing the upgraded bikes now)
  • Reliability? Being made in India, with exposed wires and crude welds showing, also with a recent recall for a faulty fuel pump, and a one-off case of someone blowing the engine in six months...that's a niggle at the back of your mind. Do you want another Enfield in your hands when you were thinking it is an upgrade to relative peace of mind?

Now, the Bonnie. Everybody loves it. It is ergonomically better than the T-100 (This review will clear all your doubts about why you should not dump the base Bonnie for the shiny T 100: https://rideapart.com/articles/a-tal...wo-bonnevilles).
It is beautiful. You can't find faults with it. People who ride with a pillion find the ground clearance suspect. It is only about 110 mm (you can't find anything mentioned on their website), and you need to walk over the badly made bumps on most Indian roads. The Bonnie has been around for quite some time, is hugely customizable, and with the Paioli suspension borrowed from the Royal Enfield Continental GT, can handle better and also not scrape the bumps on the road. It is priced about 2 lakhs higher than the HD Street 750, but if you are spending 5.5L, you don't mind shelling out 7.5L for better fit and finish than the baby Harley. The braking, despite not having any ABS, is superb. Gosh, I think I am in love with the Bonnie. You should, however, wait for the new Bonnie models, christened Newchurch, with delectable paint schemes. Hoping they will be launched soon:

http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/imag...-gallery_5.jpg

Another question that makes you toss and turn at night is, how long is the 865 cc parallel twin engine of the Bonnie gonna be made? The new Bonnie that's planned is an 1100 cc parallel twin outputting around 90 bhp, and if that comes to India...okay, let's not go there.

Kawasaki Vulcan S

This is a beautiful bike, but not customizable. It already comes in three ergo fits, so that short people, middle-heighted people, and tall people can ride it without any issues by adjusting the footpegs and handlebar. It has a separate pillion seat and also a backrest, which is frightfully expensive, according to the Kawasaki website. The suspension is stiff, the braking is superb, the ground clearance is 130 mm, and the engine, according to the reviews, is the best of the lot. I ride a Kwacker, and can tell you how amazing the 650 cc twin engine is. The top end for the Vulcan will be sacrificed for some low-end grunt and better torque figures, but this engine can make you fall in love with it. This is an okay review from a Harley rider: , but if you see this midsize cruiser shootout, you will get a better idea about what the Vulcan S has to offer:

I am eagerly waiting team-bhp's review of the latest and upgraded Harley Street 750, because that is the most affordable and VFM option. It is also a lot of fun to ride. The new blue color on offer is, very fetching indeed: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...-street750.jpg.

So, which entry-level cruiser for two-up riding? The questions keep piling up, and the decision making becomes all that harder. Meanwhile, all we can do is keep reading team-bhp and toss and turn in our sleep.

Last edited by mobike008 : 23rd September 2015 at 08:20. Reason: corrected the spell mistake
Oreen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 21:51   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Team-BHP got an official invite to preview the bikes and we should come up with a short riding impression report of it sometime later this week
Sirji, where is the review? Depending on your review will decide what to buy.
And you guys are SO lucky! Rope us in during the test rides. We will test the bikes bhery well indeed
Old 7th November 2015, 17:28   #363
BHPian

Test drove the updated Street & the old Iron , each around 10 kms, mostly within Pune, but with quite a few open roads as part of the drive.

The Street was too subtle, without the screaming eagle. The exhaust note is a clear cut downgrade from my Bullet, although that has got to do with timing chain vs push rods. The engine was very eager, and seriously fast. Thought the suspension was slightly on the firmer side. Wiring etc did not seem to be an issue. The stock horns are an embarrassment and need to be replaced immediately. I am not too sure about the Harley Character, but this bike seemed custom made for guys like me, wanting a cruiser and not so happy with Enfield's highway behaviour, mostly in terms of top speed and acceleration. But would have definitely preferred a good note, guess the screaming eagle will take care of that.

Iron was what I wanted out of the street, sans the heavy handle bar, making city slicking difficult.
Gearshift required quite an effort, and made more noise than the stock horn. The highlight of the ride was the firmest suspension I've experienced in a 2 wheeler. I am sure it managed to transferred at least 80% of the road adulations to my spine. I have heard the suspension has been improved in the updated model, but I think Iron is not a city bike at all, at least for me. But this bike had loads of 'character', all the way from the awesome note , to the riding position.

Also require some advise. I am planning to let go of my beloved Classic 350, to help cushion the finances. I do not 'want' to do that though. Should I sell it off, and keep the Street as the only 2wheeler, or there are certain scenarios in which the Bullet will have an advantage over the Street(besides fuel efficiency). I do realise that I am somehow trying to convince myself not to sell the bullet.
Another complication is that it has a Punjab number, and the bike is in Pune. Can anyone guide me on what needs to be done if an outside state vehicle needs to he sold in Maharashtra.
Bhatt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 11:10   #364
BHPian

bro, I had my bullet for quite some time after I bought the Kawasaki ER6, but then eventually sold it off to a friend. It was a DL registered bike in Bangalore, but I had done some mods to make it a Scrambler, so this guy bought it without thinking. We are still to get the NOC from Delhi and get everything done, but in my opinion, unless you fancy yourself as a connoisseur, keeping multiple vehicles for the same purpose can be quite an overhead. Of course all automobile enthusiasts will ask you to "keep" the bullet, but imagine the maintenance, the insurance, the servicing, the starting/keeping it running bit, which can be quite a drain on your resources (time and money). Once you get a Street, you will not ride the Enfield. That's a given. And if you get the Street, you will always feel why you didn't stretch and get the Iron (although hugely impractical and a lump of iron) instead.

New Iron, better suspension, improved ground clearance, loads of oomph, a handsome fuel economy, and the right attitude. It isn't as fast as the Street, doesn't accelerate so fast either, but you will be noticed everywhere. The Harley bug will bite.

Last edited by Oreen : 8th November 2015 at 11:13.
Oreen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 23:32   #365
BHPian

After a lot of deliberation and a few re-scheduling of the test ride dates (due to some unforeseen circumstances), i finally test rode the dark custom street 750 today at seven islands, bandra (mumbai). Special instructions were given again and again to wear shoes and jeans for the test ride.

On arrival the license was asked for immediately, i felt that to be slightly odd. No introduction to the bike or any warm up towards the test ride, the route that can be taken, how the gear changes work (this was critical, since the street has a short gear ratio and it also helps in keeping the engine temperature low; i could have had a better test ride and not worry about the hot air blowing from the fan), how the engine behaves, etc. Slightly baffled i went ahead with the test ride. The sales guy gave me a form filled with my license and the bike details. The bike was unregistered and hence the form was a must to have on you while riding. And indeed it was necessary, because i was stopped by traffic cops who asked for the same.

Just when i mounted the bike i enquired with the sales guy as to which route to take and he told me that i can do a ride up to CCD at carters and back. It does give you a fair amount of street riding experience and a bit of open road on the sea front stretch though laced with a lot of speed breakers. In retrospect i should have taken SV road all the way to the sealink bridge heading towards reclamation and done the reclamation ride and rejoined SV road. Maybe i will do it on my next test ride.

The engine-exhaust on start-up sounds OK, though not as great as the iron (a friend of mine who owns an iron was accompanying me for the test ride). The sales guy said that once you put in the screaming eagles the sound will be at par with the iron. Slotting in 1st is so much better. It slots with a slight thud unlike the Iron's loud thud-aak. I personally liked the street's gear shift over the Iron (i have ridden the iron earlier on).

The moment you release the clutch the bike launches itself and pushes you back. The last time i had this feeling was on a yamaha rx100 way back in the late 90's. It does bring a huge smile on your face. For someone who has not ridden a harley or any powerful bike, this can be unsettling.

The ride however is very planted and centred. You can really ride it slow and the bike or the rider can maintain its balance quite comfortably. Getting used to the sprinting nature of the street will take a fair amount of time. Brakes seemed ok, but then i was doing very nominal speeds on city roads.

One big downer - the street gets REALLY REALLY HOT!!! The radiator fan throws even more hot air towards the thighs and that is an extremely uncomfortable feeling while halted at a signal.

The engine noise combined with the flat exhaust note was a huge let down and maybe a deal breaker for some.

Overall i really liked the ride and the feel of riding a harley is indeed a great experience; together with the envious glances from the passerby's and fellow travellers, it sure does make for desirable buy!

Though the new 2016 versions are already out and ready for delivery (Harley's year end is august and not december), i will want to wait till january and get the bike in the year 2016.

The updated Iron too is a huge draw and that is a dilemma i am fighting!!!
Old 22nd November 2015, 19:19   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreen View Post
bro, I had my bullet for quite some time after I bought the Kawasaki ER6, but then eventually sold it off to a friend. It was a DL registered bike in Bangalore, but I had done some mods to make it a Scrambler, so this guy bought it without thinking. We are still to get the NOC from Delhi and get everything done, but in my opinion, unless you fancy yourself as a connoisseur, keeping multiple vehicles for the same purpose can be quite an overhead. Of course all automobile enthusiasts will ask you to "keep" the bullet, but imagine the maintenance, the insurance, the servicing, the starting/keeping it running bit, which can be quite a drain on your resources (time and money). Once you get a Street, you will not ride the Enfield. That's a given.
Thanks Oreen for the inputs. Took another test drive this weekend. This one was of 2015 make, and had a SE exhaust. One hell of a ride, I was completely sold on the bike. I guess the exhaust did the trick, that was the only gripe I had during the last TD. This time though, I had to navigate the bike through some heavy evening rush. It got really hot during the stays at Red lights. Had to adjust my riding position to tackle the heat.
The stock handle on the 2015 model felt heavier than the 2016 one. I asked the Sales rep, and he confirmed that the 2016 ones have newer handle bars. Not too sure though, this change hasn't been reported in any forum.
I am going to take delivery in Jan 2016, but finding it difficult to sell the Enfield in Pune, with the outside Maharashtra registration. Will have to take it back to its roots I guess.
Old 20th December 2015, 08:32   #367

Hi folks,

Mid-life crisis manifests itself in the all too familiar biking bug biting me. Booked the Street 750 Denim Black (Matte) at Two Rivers HD, Pune. Will get delivery on 23rd December, Wednesday. It's a 2016 street, of course. Got the Screaming Eagle Exhaust, Air filter, backrest, heat shield for the tubes, air compressor, performance spark plug leads, Engine guard and I am forgetting one other thing. I won't pretend to be a rider of any sorts (counting out the early working life Shogun) of big machines such as this. I am planning to use this as my daily commute to work. How wise is that idea? Time will tell. At the moment, I am smitten, waiting to re-live the test ride moments on my own machine and maybe peep into the HOG door, if they would let me in.

After a long time, a new acquisition makes me so excited. Imagining of roads, I would ride on already, like a small kid day-dreaming. Quite embarrassing!

Anyway, any tips to not make the mistakes others may have done would really be appreciated, because when it comes to HD every single good tip, means a lot of saving of money and, of course, better safety.

-Saran
saranhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 16:19   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saranhere View Post
Hi folks,

Mid-life crisis manifests itself in the all too familiar biking bug biting me.

Anyway, any tips to not make the mistakes others may have done would really be appreciated, because when it comes to HD every single good tip, means a lot of saving of money and, of course, better safety.

-Saran
Congratulations Saran. You have made a very good choice in getting the Street. I am also planning to book one in Jan from Two Rivers Harley. Besides that fact that you are investing in the dream called Harley, at the given price point, there is simply no other alternative in the mid segment cruiser segment. The torque throughout the rev range brings a smile every time you ride the machine.
Apart from the exhaustive accessory list, I would suggest you invest in a good riding jacket, I use the Cramster 4S, it perfectly suits Pune Weather. Also buy good pair of gloves, and atleast knee gaurds, if not Riding pants, again Cramster is what I use.

Can you ping me the price for the bike and various accessories charged by Two Rivers Harley. Also, were you offered any discount?
Thanks
Old 27th December 2015, 05:02   #369
BHPian

[quote=saranhere;3873889]Hi folks,

Mid-life crisis manifests itself in the all too familiar biking bug biting me. Booked the Street 750 Denim Black (Matte) at Two Rivers HD, Pune. Will get delivery on 23rd December, Wednesday. It's a 2016 street, of course. Got the Screaming Eagle Exhaust, Air filter, backrest, heat shield for the tubes, air compressor, performance spark plug leads, Engine guard and I am forgetting one other thing. I won't pretend to be a rider of any sorts (counting out the early working life Shogun) of big machines such as this. I am planning to use this as my daily commute to work. How wise is that idea? Time will tell. At the moment, I am smitten, waiting to re-live the test ride moments on my own machine and maybe peep into the HOG door, if they would let me in.

I am 63 and have had big bikes all my life, my first bike was a 1952 650 cc BSA A10 at 16. I did have a Honda 50cc bike for a month when my 750 cc Triumph was stolen. Now the thing is in London traffic the 50cc Honda was faster then the 750, take that into mind if you want to ride a Harley in traffic they are not as nimble as a small bike. I have a street bob in Goa and another thing I find is park the bike and every one wants to sit on it and have the picture taken which is a real wind up. 2nd thing on the road bikers want to show off they are faster or crowd you to get a better look. So if you can put up with these things go for it.

When you get the bike find a quite area and get used to riding it as slow as you can and do slow turns figure of 8's etc so when you get into traffic you will feel more at ease on it. Take speed bumps straight if you are not straight and the bike bottoms out it can flick you side ways and you end up falling off.

Bottom line enjoy

Ken
KEN-RAND is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 17:27   #370
BHPian

Not sure if this update fits in here but seems like the HOG India facebook page is permanently closed? Harley Owners Group (HOG) page are known for keeping the riders together, connect riders across different regions and also organize rides and also keep posing flyers on various events and offers. Seems like they have taken a decision to operate through the dealers and their FB groups and closed the group permanently as they could not respond to few of the issues raised by the fellow riders.

Is this the beginning of the end of Harley here and are people looking at better alternatives now?

May be or may be not. The good news is within 24 hours from the time the group was closed, like minded folks created one other called Harley Riders India and there are more than 2K members added within 24 hrs. This helps us to connect and reach out to folks from other states and cities especially in case you are on a long distance ride and need any help or support. We have experienced this in the past and should thank those like minded who put up the other group in no time.
Old 1st January 2016, 01:13   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally View Post

One big downer - the street gets REALLY REALLY HOT!!! The radiator fan throws even more hot air towards the thighs and that is an extremely uncomfortable feeling while halted at a signal.

The engine noise combined with the flat exhaust note was a huge let down and maybe a deal breaker for some.

Though the new 2016 versions are already out and ready for delivery (Harley's year end is august and not december), i will want to wait till january and get the bike in the year 2016.

The updated Iron too is a huge draw and that is a dilemma i am fighting!!!

Harley blowing hot air at the thighs is the biggest factor when one decides to buy a bike for city driving...
Old 4th January 2016, 23:06   #372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatt View Post
Congratulations Saran. You have made a very good choice in getting the Street. I am also planning to book one in Jan from Two Rivers Harley. Besides that fact that you are investing in the dream called Harley, at the given price point, there is simply no other alternative in the mid segment cruiser segment. The torque throughout the rev range brings a smile every time you ride the machine.
Apart from the exhaustive accessory list, I would suggest you invest in a good riding jacket, I use the Cramster 4S, it perfectly suits Pune Weather. Also buy good pair of gloves, and atleast knee gaurds, if not Riding pants, again Cramster is what I use.

Can you ping me the price for the bike and various accessories charged by Two Rivers Harley. Also, were you offered any discount?
Thanks

Hi,
I got a final bill, including all the accessories I have listed earlier, to be 6.53 Lakhs OTR Pune( plus a lakh plus worth accessories, with 8% discount, since I bought accessories worth more than a lakh) Price Discount? Are you kidding me
saranhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 16:05   #373
BHPian

Test drove the Street 750 and was blown away by the sheer torque. Its a very nice engine. Couple of things which may be an issue :

1. Engine heats up a bit. Was not it bumper to bumper traffic but fan was still kicking in and throwing hot air on my thighs

2. The over all quality could have been better considering the price.

Over all a very good option if you have the budget. Liked the engine and transmission.
Old 11th January 2016, 20:21   #374

Hello All,

Pardon me if this is not the right place to post the query.

I have just booked a Street 750 in Bangalore Lavelle Road branch. My bank has not agreed to finance the accessories so i couldnt afford the original Harley accessories. I need to however get the basic accessories like that Crash guard and the back rest. I was looking for some aftermarket options and i found an excellent option in RT Nagar (Aeedea) and decided to proceed with them.

On my way back home, i decided to check with the showroom for any issues. I am pleasantly surprised when i was told that installing a aftermarket crash guard will void the warranty. On probing more, they said that it might cause damage to the front chassis as they need remove the exhaust etc to get it fit. This got me really worried. They say that the backrest aftermarket will void the warranty too.

I am dazed and confused now. I wrote to Harley India today to confirm the same via email. I wanted to get your opinion as well. I really need your advise here from the users. Please help.
Old 11th January 2016, 23:40   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidz2bt View Post
Hello All,

On my way back home, i decided to check with the showroom for any issues. I am pleasantly surprised when i was told that installing a aftermarket crash guard will void the warranty.

This is one of their strategy to push you to buy everything from them. Many have installed after market stuff and yes on new bikes and don't seem to have any issues. Reach out to fellow members in Street groups in Bangalore and they will help you with all the details. Rakesh Singh part of TBHP is also one amazing person with a doctrate on street 750 accessories and he could be of quiet help.

Happy riding and getting ready for harley tax. Nothing is free or cheap here. Everything comes with a premium.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks