Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2016, 17:30   #376
BHPian

Re: Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review

Pune Harley gave me a test drive today on the Street 750. Used to the Kawasaki Eliminator, it was a while before one got used to the strong surge of power coming from the engine. The brake was weak (supposedly becoz it is a 2015 model) and I was told it is much better in the 2016 models. The cowl had been removed and the crash guard as well as the rear seat rest had been fitted along with the screaming eagles... the test bike also came without the rear view mirrors.

The bike is a mix of the beautiful and the ordinary with the grill on the right side of the rear wheel straight from the local Tulsibag market. The exposed wires were a plenty (again told that that is not the case for 2016) and was also told the crash guard and the rear seat rest cost 18k and 30 k respectively are mandatory if a pillion rides and if not taken from the company, the warranty is void. Of course there are ways to get around this and a hint of a discount on the expensive accessories. The screaming eagle quote was 35k. The bike without the screaming eagles was coming to 5.8-5.9L.

I have not decided what to do about buying it. It seems some banks have a tie up and are giving a loan at 11.5%.

In general I have doubts about whether the power is excessive in the streets of Pune where one can barely cross 40 km. On the highway the bike will be a pleasure to drive.

The hot air from the engine hits the back of ur thighs till u get into the 3rd and 4th gear... and goes away once u cross that gear or speed.

I may just hop across over the weekend to the show room to get another look....
Old 10th February 2016, 07:00   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer View Post
I may just hop across over the weekend to the show room to get another look....
Hello Bud- did you finalize on the Street 750 ? I have been planning on getting a Harley too. Have had multiple visits to the showroom. Shortlisted Street 750, Iron and Custom 1200. I am sure many are in the same dilema as me. I liked the looks of Steet with low slung design, wider rear tires etc but was taken a back by the exhaust note. Not sure if it's a mindset but Harley is always associated with the potato potato sound and the refined exhaust note of Steet was hard to digest. Do you know if upgrading the exhaust will sound like a true Harley? I did see couple of bikes with upgraded exhausts. I felt it was loud but not the true Harley sound that one would expect from a Iron or fourty eight.

Liked the Iron for the mean aggressive macho look. It looks more rugged. Has a Harley potato potato sound.

Liked the custom for the chrome. Dual chrome pipes looks classy. This has the potato potato sound too
Old 14th February 2016, 12:37   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk28 View Post
Hello Bud- did you finalize on the Street 750 ? I have been planning on getting a Harley too. Have had multiple visits to the showroom. Shortlisted Street 750, Iron and Custom 1200.

Liked the Iron for the mean aggressive macho look. It looks more rugged. Has a Harley potato potato sound.

Liked the custom for the chrome. Dual chrome pipes looks classy. This has the potato potato sound too
kk28 : I'd strongly urge you to go either for Iron or Custom 1200 depending on your usage. If you are mainly going to ride within the city, the 883 with its mid mounted controls is a better bike, and it holds quite well on the highways as well.
Street is a great bike, it is genuinly quick and feels much more refined than any other Harley(except the Night Rod), but I personally couldn't come around the looks(read size) and the note. Agreed the SE exhausts do a great job, but they will nowhere give you satisfaction of a rumbling 45 deg Vtwin.

The Iron on the other hand will get you a kind of Harley, for which Harleys are famous for. It is heavy, sounds awesome, loads of low end grunt and the looks are made in heaven stuff. The achilles heels of the package, which was the suspension, has been sorted out to a great extent in the 2016 model.

Regarding the financials, If you believe you can go for a 883 or a 1200, and you end with up with the Street, trust me you are going to get that itch for an upgrade in the first 6 months. Street will then not turn out to be the value for money preposition it seems right now.
Bhatt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2016, 22:41   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatt View Post
kk28 : Street will then not turn out to be the value for money preposition it seems right now.
Thank you Bhatt. You are bang on right. BTW did you get your bike? Which one did you go for?
I happened to visit Triumph Showroom last week (in US). Street Twin was on display. Liked the ergonomics lot better. Seating, comfort, stance all elegant and beautiful. Exhaust note has also improved a lot compared to the older Bonneviile's. It has a 270 Deg crank. There is bit of thump like RE's and roar like the HD's.

Called up Triumph dealer in Bangalore. Looks like the OTR price is not finalized yet. Neither they have the TD bike yet. They are expecting it in the first week of March-2016. As per the SA price is expected to be under Rs8.2L OTR. From the price stand point, it would be worth considering since it has all the modern bells and whistles like the ABS, ride by wire, traction control, liquid cooled, parallel twin.
Old 15th February 2016, 10:54   #380
BHPian

I did not go for the Street 750 finally. I made an advance payment for the DSK Hyosung GV250 and would have got it by now. However I chanced upon the news that it is soon to be upgraded to the GV300 cruiser and I cancelled the GV250 booking. The GV250 looked perfect for my mostly within city needs - for which I was using the Kawasaki Eliminator - and the Street 750 did not meet the requirements. I am still keen on a cruiser in that power/torque range, but wonder when the GV300 will hit the Indian market. Of late I notice a certain cooling off towards Hyosung by DSK and they might prefer Bennelli to the Hyosung models. Plan to wait till mid March. Hope to get some news from DSK by then.
Old 16th February 2016, 00:14   #381
BHPian

[quote=kk28;3912992 Street Twin was on display. Liked the ergonomics lot better. Seating, comfort, stance all elegant and beautiful. Exhaust note has also improved a lot compared to the older Bonneviile's. It has a 270 Deg crank. There is bit of thump like RE's and roar like the HD's.

Called up Triumph dealer in Bangalore. Looks like the OTR price is not finalized yet. Neither they have the TD bike yet. They are expecting it in the first week of March-2016. As per the SA price is expected to be under Rs8.2L OTR. From the price stand point, it would be worth considering since it has all the modern bells and whistles like the ABS, ride by wire, traction control, liquid cooled, parallel twin.[/QUOTE]

kk28 : I am myself in the final stages of deciding which one to go for. But will stick to the Harley fold.
Regarding the Street Twin, the ex showroom price Delhi is 6.90 Lacs. Which is 47k lesser than the 883's. Feature wise it is leagues ahead of the Iron, even ahead of the 48.
Its a great machine, refined and loads of midrange torque in the newer engines. The only area where I think it lacks, and that completely subjective, are the looks. It has too much of a resemblance to the RE Classic models, and I just cannot have another 'Classicish' shape after spending a good 8lacs. I am also not a fan of the stock sound of the parallel twin, the rumble of the Vtwin is what I prefer.
Also the power band of both Iron and the Street Twin should be similar, in the ballpark of 55 bhp. It is the peak torque where the newer Bonneville has a massive 10Nm advantage over the heavier Iron at similar rpms.
Anyway,I'd still urge you to go for the Iron. If practicality is all you seek, the Bonneville should be the one for you.
Bhatt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 22:04   #382
BHPian

Thank you Bhatt and Frequentflyer. I will be traveling back to India in the last week of March-2016. Will make a decision by then which one to go far. As of now the shortlist includes Street Twin and Iron.

As Bhatt mentioned, Street Twin resemles a bit like RE and Heron Honda Splendor
Iron has a cult macho look but lacks modern tech.
Old 17th February 2016, 22:40   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As Bhatt mentioned, Street Twin resemles a bit like RE and Heron Honda Splendor
Truth told. I think what RE lacks is what the Triumph makes it up. To me RE with a proper 800cc engine priced right would be the best selling model in India simply because of the cost factor and spares factor and the service industry in general. The Triumph and RE provide the classic look, the war era looks and the more english look.

Harleys scream USA and its a completely different look. I prefer Indians over Harley.

Between Iron, Street and 750 i would probably say pick the 750 and customize it as you save a lot between 750 and Iron or street twin and that customization will make the 750 far better screamer than the other two.

Dont get me wrong, the Iron is fantastic looking bike. But the 750 is stealing its thunder in multiple ways. I see in Harley you start with a 750 move to 1200 or the cheapest big engine.

Consider the cost of ownership as well. A friend who owns one in chennai loves every second of riding that 750 but always laments the cost of even a simple puncture fix or brake pad changes. Harleys make more money in service than sales

Last edited by VW2010 : 17th February 2016 at 22:41.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 00:22   #384
BHPian

Hi Ken, great tip on learning lesson. I pcked up my street 750 three days back and just cant take my deriere and hands off it. Its an awesome bike.

I am 50 and loving it, no midlife crisis just decided to start living again My last bike was Yamaha 350 way back in 1991, after that it was only cars until now.
What a feeling
mhr.manish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 14:41   #385

I got the Street 750 on the 1st of January this year and the first few weeks have been absolutely amazing.

It handles amazingly well and is fun to drive but it hates traffic and will slow roast your thighs if you are stuck in one for more than 15 minutes!
Old 25th February 2016, 01:20   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijayt View Post
I got the Street 750 on the 1st of January this year and the first few weeks have been absolutely amazing.

It handles amazingly well and is fun to drive but it hates traffic and will slow roast your thighs if you are stuck in one for more than 15 minutes!
That's right it does roast your thighs when you are stuck in traffic, however to get round it, I have started shutting down the bike if stuck longer than 1 minute. It works ok for me. I am only wondering what will happen during the summer of Delhi 😀
Old 25th February 2016, 19:38   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Truth told. I think what RE lacks is what the Triumph makes it up. To me RE with a proper 800cc engine priced right would be the best selling model in India simply because of the cost factor and spares factor and the service industry in general. The Triumph and RE provide the classic look, the war era looks and the more english look.
+1 to that. Have been waiting umpteen years for RE to improve their quality and also release a higher capacity bike. A well priced 750-800cc RE with about 45-50 hp on tap and 50-60 Nm of torque will be more than sufficent to keep me happy. Triumph has done just that with the bonnie and now the street twin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Consider the cost of ownership as well. A friend who owns one in chennai loves every second of riding that 750 but always laments the cost of even a simple puncture fix or brake pad changes. Harleys make more money in service than sales
Most high end bikes including triumphs are going to cost a lot more to maintain as compared to Indian bikes. High priced spare parts, lack of availability of spares and expensive accessories are the norm for high capacity bikes.
Old 29th February 2016, 10:45   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhr.manish View Post
I pcked up my street 750 three days back and just cant take my deriere and hands off it. Its an awesome bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijayt View Post
Congrats guys!! Happy biking! Please post pics
kk28 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 12:17   #389
BHPian

Harley Davidson to hike prices of Street 750, Sportsters and Dyna models by INR 30K. Price hike to be applicable from 1st April.
http://m.economictimes.com/industry/...w/51392163.cms
Old 5th April 2016, 14:01   #390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatt View Post
Harley Davidson to hike prices of Street 750, Sportsters and Dyna models by INR 30K. Price hike to be applicable from 1st April.
http://m.economictimes.com/industry/...w/51392163.cms
The Price of the street 750 has been increased by ₹ 17,000/-

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_IN...treet-750.html
Vijayt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed