Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2014, 09:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review

The Harley-Davidson Street 750 has been launched in India at a price of Rs. 4.10 lakhs (ex-showroom Delhi).

What you'll like:

• A good looking 749cc Harley at an attainable price point
• Fast & smooth engine. Oodles of torque throughout the revv range
• Competent handling & road behaviour
• Comfortable riding position with sound ergonomics
• Lots of options to customize the bike (paint schemes, bigger seat, exhaust muffler & more)
• Robust build & adequate ground clearance for Indian road conditions

What you won't:

• Brakes lacking in bite & feedback. ABS is sorely missed
• Harley-Davidson's classic Potato-Potato engine sound is absent
• Rough edges (exposed wiring, cheap switchgear etc.) have no place on a 4+ lakh motorcycle
• Smooth gearbox, but it can protest against upshifts
• Wide handlebar, big turning radius & 222 kilo weight in crowded urban conditions
• Niceties missing (fuel gauge, DTE, tachometer, headlight pass switch, adjustable levers, kickstand warning)

Last edited by GTO : 22nd April 2014 at 17:33.
n_aditya is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 09:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review

When Senior BHPian Kpzen spotted this bike being tested in June 2013, very few people guessed that Harley would be manufacturing and assembling a 'segment first' motorcycle for the Indian market, and also for exports to USA and Europe.

In February this year, Harley formally launched the Street 750 at the Auto Expo (related link). Nice colour schemes, touring options, add-on parts and an attainable price-tag created a buzz around the Street 750. It was something to look forward to for Indian motorcycling enthusiasts.

The Street 750 is the first Harley-Davidson motorcycle to be manufactured in India. This is also the first all-new platform from the Harley stable in 14 years. The 750 is built using completely new components including the chassis, engine and switchgear. Interestingly, there is no part sharing with any of the other Harley bikes.

For the test-ride, the route we'd be traveling on comprised of highways, twisties and city roads. This would give us a real world impression of the bike's capabilities for the tourer & commuter alike. The weather was perfect with a nice chill in the air and some mild fog thrown in.

The plan was to ride 100 kms one way, starting from The Westin through the Gurgaon-Faridabad road, all the way to Jaypee Greens. Post breakfast, we turn back on the same route and head to the Harley office at Sunset Boulevard. Finally, a meet with the Harley-Davidson staff and taking a peek at their service center and office area.

Note that one of these bikes has the matt black paintjob, whilst the other has the glossy black:

On the matt black bike, the glossy finish of the headlight cowl looks out of place:

The 3rd color offered on the Street 750 is red, which gets a glossy black headlight cowl as well. This was my bike for the day:

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd April 2014 at 11:53. Reason: Re-phrasing
n_aditya is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 09:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

The Street's build quality is good. The bike feels solid and whatever is easily visible is first class. Look closely and there are some disappointments though. A lot of the wiring is exposed, while some parts (trip meter reset button, switchgear) feel sub-standard. The handlebar is great and the levers feel topnotch. After hitting a sharp section of the road at speed, I was sure that I broke something. The bike had nothing to show for it, it remained tight with zero damage. The paint job is average, nothing great & nothing to complain about either. You can see the spine of the tank.

The Street 750 looks smaller than others from the Harley-Davidson stable. But don't let that worry you; I found the seat height perfect for my 5'7'' frame and was able to place my feet flat on the ground with no issues. Taller riders will face some discomfort in the knee area. To compensate for this, one can add a touring seat which is a tad higher than the regular OE piece. This will make the ride more comfortable for taller riders. The OE seat is wide, soft, comfortable and well-contoured for the rider. Foot pegs are mid-mounted. Although these round pegs aren't flattened out at the top (to place your feet on) they are still comfortable to use. On our ride spanning 200 kms, I didn't feel any ergonomic discomfort and was enjoying the ride. Rider comfort is excellent, the seating position is spot-on and ergonomics favour the tourer's spirit to a great deal.

Despite the pillion seat being soft, I seriously doubt the comfort level it would offer over longer rides, due to its small size. It is equipped with a strap for the pillion rider to hold on to. The strap felt flimsy and I doubt its longevity. Unlike some other bikes, the Street 750 doesn't have an undercut on the tail, leaving the pillion with a limited choice of what else they can hold on to. If you regularly take a pillion onboard, adding a touring seat with sissy bars is strongly suggested (that's a passenger backrest, in non-Harley speak).

The handle bars are wide and offer a relaxed feel, giving the rider an impression of riding a big bike. As with any motorcycle, it does take a while getting used to the handlebar. My arms were aching a little after the 200 km ride. The handle bar grips could have been softer too, since my palms were aching at the end.

The instrument cluster is easy to read in daylight. At night, it has a nice deep-red backlight, bringing a sinister yet racy feel to the motorcycle. By modern standards, the information that the instrument cluster provides is limited. The cluster has a check engine light, low oil pressure warning, turn indicators, high beam indicator, neutral position indicator and low fuel warning. The odometer has dual trip meters. What's sorely missed is a fuel gauge, especially with that 13.1 liter tank. Sure, the low-fuel indicator warns you when there are 2 liters remaining, but it's not confidence inspiring on long rides. A 'distance to empty' readout would have been extremely valuable too. Like most other Harleys, a tachometer and temperature gauge aren't provided.

Also like other Harleys, this bike is belt driven. When compared to chain-drives, belts are often quieter, cleaner (no oil) and less likely to stretch over time. On the Street 750, the drive belt cover is massive, covering most of the rear-left of the bike.

Well-contoured stock seat will suit most riders' behinds. I'm 5'7" and it was adequate for me:

The optional touring seat shown here makes the Street 750 more comfortable for taller riders, due to the seat's increased height:

Generous amount of ground-clearance on the Street 750 means you can take the road less traveled without worrying about scrapes:

I thought the bike looked deliciously hot in red:

Wide handlebars give you that big-bike feel and are comfortable over long rides:

Mirrors aren't very far apart. You'll have to move your head & shoulders to look at objects right behind you. Coverage area is very low:

Mirrors should have been bigger:

Instrument cluster is equipped with an odometer, two trip meters and basic warning lights. No fuel gauge or tachometer:

Ignition key switch, also comprising of the handle bar lock, is conveniently located in the center:

Switchgear has a cheap plasticky look, yet feels soft to operate. Note that the turn indicators are the 'push to cancel' type, unlike the higher HD variants which have self-canceling blinkers. No push-button for high beam flash:

Adjustable levers are absent. Badly positioned LHS controls make using the high/low beam switch uncomfortable. Notice the uneven gap around the switch:

Nice HD logo on the tank:

Notice the ugly spine visible on the fuel tank:

The air filter housing, with the '750' nomenclature printed on it:

Matt black cladding on the 2-into-1 exhaust pipes looks stellar:

A short front fender means muck getting thrown onto the large radiator:

All the foot-pegs are the folding type. Notice the pillion foot-pegs? These are factory fitted, unlike the higher Harley models where they are optional accessories:

Reflectors on the front forks:

100/80-17 size tyres at the front:

Factory fitted MRF Nylogrip Zapper FS for the Street 750 (not the Michelins, as usually found on the other Harleys):

Wide 150/70 size tyre at the rear fitted on a 15" alloy wheel:

A closer look at the standard OE seat:

Pillion space isn't generous enough and could be uncomfortable over long trips. Grab strap feels flimsy:

Saree guard with reflector is fitted on both sides of the 750:

LED tail-lamp:

Huge drive belt cover dominates a large part of the rear-left of the bike:

Last edited by GTO : 22nd April 2014 at 17:19.
Old 22nd April 2014, 09:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

The Street 750 is equipped with what Harley-Davidson calls the 'Revolution X' engine. What's the revolution? Well, in a step away from the traditional Harley air-cooled engine formula, this is a liquid-cooled motor. It might not sound like a big deal, but in the eyes of die-hard Harley purists, this is a large step away from what a Harley is 'supposed to be'. The only other bikes in the Harley stable with a liquid-cooled engine are from the VRSC family (V-Rod, Nightrod etc).

The 60-degree V-Twin engine sports 4-valves on each head, and delivers 60 Nm of torque @ 4000 rpm. Harley takes an Apple-like approach to their product specifications, not disclosing the exact horsepower figures, so we'll keep guessing on that one (should be in the ballpark of 55 BHP).

Thumb the starter button and the bike comes to life. I was expecting the typical
po-ta-to po-ta-to sound that Harley-Davidson has tried to trademark, but I was disappointed. The 750 sounds angry when revved, although not too different from a loud Pulsar with an aftermarket air filter.

Tap it into 1st gear and a loud clunk affirmed that the bike was ready to roll. Ease off the clutch and the Harley pulls forward smoothly. The clutch is well-balanced, neither too heavy nor too light. A twist of the right wrist will propel the bike forward menacingly; it hungrily munches lane markers on the road. The linear power delivery and availability of ample torque throughout the revv range ensure that you breach the one tonne mark quickly & effortlessly. On the move, the exhaust note is rather loud (similar to a loud single cylinder engine even in stock form). Vibrations from the engine are well damped and one can barely feel vibes on the handlebars or seat. I was pleasantly surprised to see that there were no visible 'shivers' at idle. Most other Harleys have a characteristic of shaking & vibrating like a massage chair at traffic signals.

The Street 750 does get hot in bumper to bumper conditions and at traffic signals, but I didn't feel terrible discomfort with my cordura pants. This is different from the other air-cooled Harleys which tend to get excessively hot in traffic. The heat dissipated from the Street 750's engine with that big radiator fan is bearable.

Must be mentioned that timing chain sound is a constant (a fast, metallic krrrrr). You can hear it rotating & it's very prominent.

The Street 750 is equipped with single rotor disc brakes at the front and rear. Despite having dual pistons, the brakes are just barely okay. The front brakes contribute significantly to stopping power, yet they could do with better bite and feedback. What also took me by surprise was the presence of some sponginess in the braking feel. Even with two fingers on the front brake, I could hear the front squealing & protesting under hard braking conditions. The MRF tyres could be a likely suspect too. Rear brakes are almost dead. The rider has to really stomp on the rear brakes to get the motorcycle to stop. Under panic moments, urgent application of the front brakes could possibly throw the bike and rider out of control since, in addition to the lack of feedback, ABS isn't provided either. A 4-lakh bike and no ABS!!

Gear ratios are well-defined and you can potter around in the city without the need for constant downshifting. I was able to totter along in 3rd gear at 40 km/h, and still pull away strongly & cleanly when an open stretch made itself available. On open highways, the Street 750 is calm and composed, and can cruise all day long at triple digit speeds. Overtaking is a breeze. With a gentle twist of the throttle and shifting later in the revv range, high speeds are easily attainable. Wind blast is horrible at speeds around 120 km/h though. A larger windshield would help in taking care of this problem.

The Street 750 is equipped with a 6-speed gearbox. It follows the standard 1-down / 5-up pattern. I did find upshifts to be a consistent problem. I just couldn't upshift seamlessly from one gear to another as much as I tried. Initially, I thought the bike was designed to shift up only at particular engine speeds, but this isn't true. I approached the rev-limiter multiple times and, with the clutch lever fully pulled in, the bike would still not shift up seamlessly. Do note that the 750 has no tacho (sorely missed), therefore you have to listen to the engine & upshift before hitting the revv limiter. If you do hit the revv limiter, the engine cuts off smoothly without any jerks. Then, I thought the culprit were my track boots, yet again I was wrong. I realized that, after shifting, if I moved my foot completely away from the lever (not even the slightest pressure), the gears would shift up without a hiccup. Finding neutral is a task as you have to be very soft when disengaging from 2nd or 1st.

When I spoke to the service manager of Harley Davidson India, he mentioned that it could be an issue with the clutch springs not being loaded properly. There was no problem with the clutch adjustment though. I did hear other riders also complain of upshifts.

The sheer weight of the Street 750 (222 kilos) is only felt at low speeds and while crawling in urban traffic. On the move, the 750 is a breeze to ride and will keep most riders happy (with minimal fatigue).

The suspension is well-tuned and is best suited for the highway & twisty roads. The front shocks are stiff while the rear units are soft. Both are perfectly balanced to give the rider enough confidence to carve corners on winding roads and on the open highway. The Street 750 can be fun on winding roads.

However, on bad patches, the stiff front shocks do transfer undulations to the rider's upper body. I had one such moment when I hit a sharp bump which threw me off my seat. The bike and I were unsettled. I was dreading some damage to my lower back but thankfully, there was nothing. Even the bike took the abuse well.

In a nutshell, this is a motorcycle built for the highway...for those tourers who love to munch miles all day long at any given opportunity. The smooth & linear power delivery with ample torque all across the revv range is a big contributor.

After riding almost 200 kms in the hot Delhi weather, I was as fresh as I could ever be. I honestly didn't feel that we had ridden so far. The bike was smooth as butter, had more than enough power on tap, handling was brilliant and I could scrape the pegs without much effort. Ground clearance too wasn't an issue and I could glide over bad patches without having to worry about scraping the chassis.

The turning radius isn't city friendly. Plan those U-turns and accommodate for a longer turn-in. It is a heavy bike at 222 kilos, thus moving it forward and reverse (while parking or negotiating a tight U-turn) is cumbersome.

The 60-degree 749cc 'Revolution X' V-Twin engine sports 4-valves on each head, and delivers 60 Nm of torque @ 4000 rpm:

The Street 750 feels great to ride on long, winding open roads:

Rider footpegs are mid-mounted and comfortable:

Toe-shifter with 1-down and 5-up sequence on the 6-speed gearbox. 'Heel-toe' shifter will be missed by many:

Plain looking handle bar grips. Could do with softer material for comfort. Also, the mirror stalks are naked...should have had some rubber covering on the nut at the base:

Twin-piston floating calipers for the front disc brakes. Lack of ABS is a serious downer:

Front brake fluid reservoir:

Twin-piston floating calipers for the rear disc brakes too. Rear brakes have absolutely no bite and are very poor:

Rear disc brake fluid reservoir:

Superb amount of GC. Stock 2-into-1 exhaust. Not with the typical Harley potato potato sound though:

The drive belt, as found on all Harleys:

The twin rear shocks are adjustable:

Single horn on the Street 750, loud enough though. Notice the exposed wiring from the inadequate protective sleeve:

The 750's key:

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd April 2014 at 11:50. Reason: Adding pic
n_aditya is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 09:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Other Points:

• Big shoutout to Rehaan for helping me with compiling this review. Highly appreciate the effort & guidance! Thanks also to Stratos for post-processing the images.

• Outside of the USA, India is the only country where Harley-Davidson has set up a manufacturing facility.

• The headlight low <-> high beam toggle switch was way too high for my liking. I understand from the service manager this cannot be adjusted, as it has a bolt going through the handlebar (to reduce vibes).

• The Street 750 comes with DRL's so there is no way you can turn off the headlight.

• With the engine kill switch in off position, the bike will still crank but the engine will not turn over.

• Generous 13.1 liter petrol tank makes fuel stops a lot less frequent when touring. Anything above 20 kpl and you can expect 250+ kms of range.

• Horn is loud, but only a single unit. A dual-tone horn would be more in line with this bike's character.

• The Harley-Davidson parts & accessories catalog contains over 5,000 items. Not just stickers and keychains, but stuff like tanks, backrests & wheels too. Over 40 brand new accessories have been launched for the Street 750.

• Customization is a big deal with Harleys. When you buy one, a designated “Chrome Consultant” walks you through all the possible customisations for your bike. End result, you leave the showroom with something unique and tailored to your specific needs.

• Harley-Davidson once tried to secure trademark protection for their engine sound. However, after much opposition from other bike manufacturers and hefty legal proceedings, they gave up.

• Harley currently has 13 dealerships in India. Expect another 3-4 outlets in 2014.

• Tie-ups with Yes Bank & HDFC. Both banks finance the Street 750 for up to 80% of the on-road price. Maximum tenure of 4 years. HDFC charges an interest rate of 12.5% while Yes Bank charges 13.5%.

• The Street 750's smaller sibling - the Street 500 - will make its way to India by 2015. Expect the 500 to be about 50,000 rupees cheaper. Identical in all ways, except for the smaller motor.

• The Street 500 & 750 will be exported from India to other Asian & European countries.

Disclaimer : Harley-Davidson invited Team-BHP for the Street 750 ride. They covered all the travel expenses for this riding event.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd April 2014 at 17:26.
Old 22nd April 2014, 09:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

The Smaller yet Significant Things:

Notice the gap between the headlight and front cowl (with light seeping through):

Lockable fuel-lid is standard. Usually an optional accessory on higher HD variants:

Comes off completely when opened:

The taller touring seat doesn't have a grab strap. It does however get a Harley Davidson emblem on the rear, which is missing on the stock seat:

A closer look at the welds:

Rear fender is equipped with a reflector. It offers some amount of flexibility too:

Plastic cover feels flimsy and comes off in a click:

Inadequate sleeve lengths to protect those electrical wires:

Insulation for the headlight looks cheap and inadequate for the long term:

Some more examples of poorly shielded wiring (there were several others too):

The rear numberplate light:

Indicators are regular filament bulbs:

What's visible is actually the heat shield on the exhaust:

Design-wise, the rear cowl and tail-lamp don't have the smoothest integration:

Last edited by GTO : 22nd April 2014 at 17:21.
n_aditya is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 09:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Harley-Davidson office & service center @ Sunset Boulevard, Gurgaon:

The entrance welcomes you with a big black motorcycle on display:
Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review-samu-san-133.jpg

Anoop Prakash (Managing Director of Harley India) gave us a walk-through of the office:
Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review-samu-san-048.jpg

Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review-samu-san-143.jpg

Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review-samu-san-069.jpg

Huge Harley logo lights up the ceiling:
Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review-samu-san-082.jpg

The colorful bike that was showcased at an earlier Auto Expo:
Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review-samu-san-072.jpg

Yep, it's the Indian tri-colour:
Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review-samu-san-076.jpg

Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review-samu-san-079.jpg

Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review-samu-san-121.jpg

Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review-samu-san-066.jpg

Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review-samu-san-128.jpg

The conference room:
Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review-samu-san-063.jpg

Office area:
Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review-samu-san-126.jpg

Various engine parts on the office wall:
Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review-samu-san-087.jpg

Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review-samu-san-091.jpg

This is what makes Harley engines unique. It's the single-pin crank. Most other V-twins have them staggered:
Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review-samu-san-093.jpg

Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review-samu-san-096.jpg

Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review-samu-san-097.jpg

Various insignia on display:
Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review-samu-san-103.jpg

Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review-samu-san-136.jpg

Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review-samu-san-115.jpg

John McEnaney - India Service Manager - pointed out stuff in the service area:
Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review-samu-san-057.jpg

Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review-samu-san-047.jpg

Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review-samu-san-051.jpg

Neatly organized tools for various parts of your bike (Buell Motorcycles was owned by Harley, but they shut shop in '09):
Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review-samu-san-055.jpg

Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review-samu-san-061.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 22nd April 2014 at 17:22.
n_aditya is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 17:35   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Harley-Davidson Street 750 : Official Review

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to Motorbikes. Thanks for sharing, rating review a well-deserved 5 stars!
Old 22nd April 2014, 17:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

The first official two wheeler review by Tbhp?
Awesome stuff.

Good news for bikers in the forum and hoping for many more official reviews.
Old 22nd April 2014, 18:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Great Review Aditya. Rated 5 star. Your findings are in sync with what most of us felt about this 'baby' Harley. It should sell for people wanting to enter the Harley fold. How many of them will be accepted by the purists is a different story all together. The absent 'potato-potato' signature of the Harley has been correctly highlighted by you and is important unlike what many non-Harley owners may frown about. Harleys are meant to be bikes for the soul and not for racing. This may be a good as well as bad thing for the Street as it may open up new avenues for Harley which it has never tasted before.

Thanks once again for sharing a brilliant review.

Last edited by dkaile : 22nd April 2014 at 18:35.
dkaile is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 19:32   #11
BHPian

Great review , being in the market for this bike , I don't feel it justifies the price tag.

My gripe with the motorcycle is the bumper to bumper cost cutting that was apparent at first glance . The footpegs , indicators , switch-gear , quality of upholstery , tires , paint job (requires some audacity to mention "miles deep " in the brochure to be honest ) , the obvious spine of the fuel tank have no place on this motorcycle . The engine performance and handling which have got top reviews so far are the only selling point though the cost cutting raises question about how much they sacrificed (in terms of quality) with the internals of the motor -for example whether it will start emitting unhealthy noises 10k km into ownership or not only time will tell (the bike I tested in kolkata was making a loud clanking sound excused as pre-production issue).

The only reason this bike will sell is because no other options exist in the 3 - 5/6 lakh bracket , ninja series is a sports-bike with different ride characteristics and ergonomics and as far as a cruiser is concerned - street is running a one man race.

@dkaile
Those things only become important if one is buying into a brand first(and the associated luxuries and limitations) and then a motorcycle . For many of us , this is merely a product that suits best our needs(in a price category almost devoid of any options so far) with utter disregard for acceptance by certain owners. There are also purists who only believe bikes from a certain age are the real deal while there are those who are of the opinion a bike below certain displacement or girth is a beginners or ladies bike. Can't let those influence decisions though. BTW harley made their name initially by dominating AMA racing and setting land speed records .
basuroy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 19:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

Great review! The first official review of the HD brand on Team-BHP?

Can't say the same of the bike though. Sorry but it really looks like a HD Cost-Cutter. Trust me, if Honda had released a bike with exposed wiring et al, everyone would have gone hammer and tongs and shredded the bike even before it hit the road! Just because of some "die-hard" fans, this bike will also sell - and sell in pretty good numbers. We only have to look at the Royal Enfield for that - it still sells in large numbers though the quality of the product is questionable.

I was a big Harley and RE fan once - until I burnt my hands on an RE. Nope, I don't own a Harley and don't intend to.

But surely a HD within reach for a larger section of bikers now - have fun guys!
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 20:40   #13
BHPian

Fantastic review, very detailed. Huge thanks, because I was waiting for a comprehensive t-bhp review, and here it is.

The fact that it can munch miles itself is a huge plus for me. I will wait for a few ownership reviews about how it handles after a few thousand km, and then make a choice between the Bonnie and this. The Bonnie gets too hot in city riding conditions and is also pretty uncomfortable on bad roads according to someone who bought it in Hyderabad. But everybody seems to be talking about how the Street 750 is very comfortable. The < 5 lakhs on-road price also can't be ignored.

In my opinion, despite the cost-cutting compromises, this will be a huge hit with people who are looking for a touring motorcycle. It would be nice to get an idea about the number of bookings so far. The more there are, the easier it will be to source parts.

Thanks, again. Really good review.
Oreen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 21:06   #14
BHPian

@oreen

If H-D folks are to be believed , the number of booking exceeds at least 1k within india ( assuming an average of 100 per dealer in almost 2 months now , pune reported 100 in first week , kolkata 50 , delhi bombay etc reported dozens in first day itself).

A select few have already received their bike , and more are on the way with around 5-10 being delivered every week now .

Regarding engine heat , some have reported feeling uncomfortable because the rear cylinder is close to the left thigh. Also during standstill , the radiator fan kicks in and it blows air behind towards the rider and that can add to to the discomfort. While on paper it should make a good touring motorcycle , I think the low range(approx. 200 km before you enter danger zone) will result in a somewhat irritating experience . The superlow is same length as the street yet has 4 liter extra capacity , they should have used a similar capacity tank .
basuroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 21:22   #15
BHPian

Wonderful & straight from the heart review of the 750 Aditya. Also thanks for the bonus guided tour of the Harley office.

I may not be a Harley fan, but the company has my respect & admiration for making the Harley dream possible for many Indian bikers and now has gone a step ahead and offered the 750 as a 'more reliable RE' (with the extra cost charged for the bar & shield logo and bigger displacement- IMHO). This bike may target many enthusiasts who may not necessarily be interested in the HD bells & whistles nor the group & camaraderie stuff, but want a bigger/reliable bike to do more than just the weekend ride or CCD hopping. However, the Street-500, with a mere relative difference of INR 50k in price...I am not sure what Harley's plans are! Maybe they have bigger plans?

As an example, in the early 90s when BMW- the 'big' shaft drive bike maker decided to sell the chain driven F650 with an Austrian made Rotax engine, there was similar talk from the great 'purist' crowd. However, BMW merrily sold thousands of these bikes, and the riders formed their own sub group unofficially also known as the Chain Gang. BMW subsequently bumped up the displacement to 800 and now have an excellent light weight Adv tourer in their basket. They also followed it with the G650.

So lets wait and see how the new Street 750 bike & rider groups mature.....

Last edited by Haroon : 22nd April 2014 at 21:31.
Haroon is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed