Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2017, 00:16   #241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
I took a short-ish test ride of the Street Triple 765 S here, and I do like it. The bike feels very light and nimble for a quarter liter size, the throttle response, sound and refinement are all great, that coolant tank is relocated to a less vulnerable place - it does address what I perceived as the weaknesses in the outgoing 675 Street Triple.

Not smitten by the bug eye looks but easily can live with those. What I'm really looking forward to, is how the RS is tuned and priced. It has top spec Brembo M50s and fully adjustable suspension, things I tend to place significant importance in. It's not launched here yet, but I think that might just be the bike I really needed. Maybe another 15-20 hp would have nice.
I think you mean 3/4 of a litre and not a quarter litre

Here's the latest news on the Street Triple RS, maybe it's something that interests you

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/triumph-s...-india-1759501

Last edited by hifisharu : 7th October 2017 at 00:17.
hifisharu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 15:18   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisharu View Post
Not per se related to my ownership but just thought I'd update the status here:

So, after a hiatus of nearly 1.5 years, I completed my European Motorcycle license and went in for a test ride of the new 765 Street Triple. Triumph Stuttgart had the RS version for a test ride and the experience was just fantastic. Was handed over the keys after small formalities such as taking copies of the license, identity proof etc. Instructions were to ride anywhere I pleased, come back in 30-45 min and top up the fuel. As I had not really planned where I would go, I just went for a spin around 20 kms near by and from the moment I set=off, was grinning from ear to ear. Here are my observation from the test ride:

1) Clutch is now super light, with the slipper clutch addition, very easy to operate
2) With the ride by wire, the throttle response is just immediate and fantastic
3) Didn't test out the riding modes much and the weather conditions were just too good to evaluate TC and other mode specific details
4) New TFT dash looks great and performed without any hiccups
5) Bike was fitted with a Bodis exhaust and that new motor just sounds amazing. Just open the throttle and hear her sing.

Winter time is soon approaching and I will be deferring my bike purchase plans till spring of 2018, till then, more test rides and evaluation
Ive read your thread completely and twice over looks like I’ve had a blast with the old Striple. Ever since I had the Big Bike itch, the 675 was on top of my list and now is the 765 against the CBR650F. Did test ride the S version here and awaiting the RS. I bet the RS will be priced a good 1 to 1.5l higher than the S. Most of the top quality bits on the RS are more track oriented than Street. Maintenance costs of the brembos and ohlins might tip the scales a bit here in India. Did you get a chance to ride the S version against the RS? What were your impressions?

Quote:
I took a short-ish test ride of the Street Triple 765 S here, and I do like it. The bike feels very light and nimble for a quarter liter size, the throttle response, sound and refinement are all great, that coolant tank is relocated to a less vulnerable place - it does address what I perceived as the weaknesses in the outgoing 675 Street Triple.

Not smitten by the bug eye looks but easily can live with those. What I'm really looking forward to, is how the RS is tuned and priced. It has top spec Brembo M50s and fully adjustable suspension, things I tend to place significant importance in. It's not launched here yet, but I think that might just be the bike I really needed. Maybe another 15-20 hp would have nice.
From my findings, the RS wil be in a state of tune to 124 ish bhp. The S at 111. If I’m not wrong. They’ve not detuned the engines as like before on the S and albeit the RS will follow the same. I did also find out from the dealership that it’s not jus an ECU remap tat brings out the additional horses but revised headers and cams specific to the RS. Are u more inclined to the RS?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th October 2017 at 18:37. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts together. Thanks!
Old 8th October 2017, 17:21   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevwguy View Post
Ive read your thread completely and twice over looks like I’ve had a blast with the old Striple. Ever since I had the Big Bike itch, the 675 was on top of my list and now is the 765 against the CBR650F. Did test ride the S version here and awaiting the RS. I bet the RS will be priced a good 1 to 1.5l higher than the S. Most of the top quality bits on the RS are more track oriented than Street. Maintenance costs of the brembos and ohlins might tip the scales a bit here in India. Did you get a chance to ride the S version against the RS? What were your impressions?
Unfortunately, I haven't ridden the S model, but I would expect it to be better than the outgoing model. As we were discussing on the Striple India WhatsApp group, the RS makes sense if one is using it on the track. Or as mentioned above, an alternative to the Daytona, better road usable torque, more street oriented riding position and probably lesser price too
hifisharu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 18:24   #244
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ever since I had the Big Bike itch, the 675 was on top of my list and now is the 765 against the CBR650F.?

Either street triple will be a no brained pick against the CBR 650. It's a no contest. I've heard the RS is a bit more track oriented and if you only road ride the S may be good enough. But ride both and take a call.

You may also want to check out the Z900 and N1000 if you're in the market for the striple twins. Very competent products at very similar price. Personally my pick would be the striple but it's totally to each one of course.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 21:23   #245
BHPian

Re: Triumph Street Triple: Ownership Review

Quote:
I think you mean 3/4 of a litre and not a quarter litre
Ah yes, I absolutely did!

Quote:
From my findings, the RS wil be in a state of tune to 124 ish bhp. The S at 111. If I’m not wrong. They’ve not detuned the engines as like before on the S and albeit the RS will follow the same. I did also find out from the dealership that it’s not jus an ECU remap tat brings out the additional horses but revised headers and cams specific to the RS. Are u more inclined to the RS?
The S makes 111bhp, the R makes 116 and the RS makes 121bhp and 77Nm torque. The powerband is reportedly similar to the Daytona (which for me is a plus) , so I won't lose any significant performance, and I get fully adjustable suspension and top spec brakes - just what I seek. That and the biggest question mark is wind protection. Although the Daytona windscreen is low, I never felt the windblast to be an issue. I don't know how sustained 3 digit runs on the naked 765 RS will be.

I don't like the TFT screen though, I prefer a proper analogue tachometer, rest can be digital. The full digital TFT makes like someone stuck a smartphone or PSP instead of an instrumentation console. Not a fan of bar end mirrors ( the RS gets factory fittect bar end mirrors) but I think I can live with that, and if I can't, I'm sure an S/R owner will gladly swap mirrors with me.
Old 17th October 2017, 20:41   #246
BHPian

Mod note: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Either street triple will be a no brained pick against the CBR 650. It's a no contest. I've heard the RS is a bit more track oriented and if you only road ride the S may be good enough. But ride both and take a call.

You may also want to check out the Z900 and N1000 if you're in the market for the striple twins. Very competent products at very similar price. Personally my pick would be the striple but it's totally to each one of course.
Thanks Axe77. I've seen a lot of your posts in multiple threads (As I said earlier, silent follower) Indeed the Striple is a no brainer. But i'm factoring a whole lot of things and my main intention is to buy and ride the bolts out of it for a really long time. My last bike is no where close to this category, a humble P220 FI that i held, maintained and rode for about 65k kms / 9 years before selling it a few months ago should tell you my story. I've trouble letting go The Striples animalistic nature eats thru tires cmpared to the tamed 650f, the pillion seat "usability" and the relatively cheaper service is making the CBR650f a good option in this price point. The heart says Striple while the mind says CBR650F.... awaiting a long-ish test ride of them both. The RS on the other hand is not on my list given its track orientation. Stellar naked though. Servicing is THE main reason I'm steering clear of the Kawis. The reviews and costs of servicing for them are not favorable to be honest - no offence to Kawi owners in the group.

Quote:
Ah yes, I absolutely did!

The S makes 111bhp, the R makes 116 and the RS makes 121bhp and 77Nm torque. The powerband is reportedly similar to the Daytona (which for me is a plus) , so I won't lose any significant performance, and I get fully adjustable suspension and top spec brakes - just what I seek. That and the biggest question mark is wind protection. Although the Daytona windscreen is low, I never felt the windblast to be an issue. I don't know how sustained 3 digit runs on the naked 765 RS will be.

I don't like the TFT screen though, I prefer a proper analogue tachometer, rest can be digital. The full digital TFT makes like someone stuck a smartphone or PSP instead of an instrumentation console. Not a fan of bar end mirrors ( the RS gets factory fittect bar end mirrors) but I think I can live with that, and if I can't, I'm sure an S/R owner will gladly swap mirrors with me.
All too familiar with the numbers game
I agree on the TFT. It seems to be the trend in motorcycling now i suppose. Its a long way to go before we start seeing maps and have intuitive displays. The RS is the naked alternative to the Daytona for sure. Would suit someone who tracks regularly if that is you?

Quote:
Unfortunately, I haven't ridden the S model, but I would expect it to be better than the outgoing model. As we were discussing on the Striple India WhatsApp group, the RS makes sense if one is using it on the track. Or as mentioned above, an alternative to the Daytona, better road usable torque, more street oriented riding position and probably lesser price too
True on all accounts there. How were your servicing scenes with the 675? Did you have any scares or was everything smooth costing only 10K each service?
Sorry if i'm going off topic or if I've missed your cover on this. Just trying to get ur first hand experience owning a Striple

Last edited by GTO : 18th October 2017 at 09:35. Reason: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 12:34   #247
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Mod note: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.

Thanks Axe77. I've seen a lot of your posts in multiple threads (As I said earlier, silent follower) Indeed the Striple is a no brainer. But i'm factoring a whole lot of things and my main intention is to buy and ride the bolts out of it for a really long time. My last bike is no where close to this category, a humble P220 FI that i held, maintained and rode for about 65k kms / 9 years before selling it a few months ago should tell you my story. I've trouble letting go The Striples animalistic nature eats thru tires cmpared to the tamed 650f, the pillion seat "usability" and the relatively cheaper service is making the CBR650f a good option in this price point. The heart says Striple while the mind says CBR650F.... awaiting a long-ish test ride of them both. The RS on the other hand is not on my list given its track orientation. Stellar naked though. Servicing is THE main reason I'm steering clear of the Kawis. The reviews and costs of servicing for them are not favorable to be honest - no offence to Kawi owners in the group.
Basis my understanding of your posts some key considerations are:
- Pillion comfort.
- Nice engine like an inline 4 or even striple (no parallel twins basically).
- Reliable and VFM maintenance.

I am going to give my thoughts in the context of the Z900; Triple S and CBR 650.

I am not sure how the costs play out in Chennai but my sense would be they are CBR 650 --> Z900 --> Triple S.

1. Pillion comfort

I can tell you the Striple is not exactly pillion comfort oriented. I have no idea of the pillion comfort on the other two bikes but if this is big factor, please make sure you get a long enough ride with your pillion on the Triple.

2. Maintenance and upkeep

Again, I have no idea on this. I can tell you my first service (30 days / 800 kms) cost me about 7 k or so. No idea on tyre life. Service intervals are about 12 months / 10000 km, which is pretty good.

Having said that, while the Kawis might be more frequent, really do balance this out with the upfront cost delta. In Bbay we have a peculiar situation where the Triple S and Z900 are only about 7k apart in on road cost (CKD vs CBU). I believe the cost delta may be much more significant in your state perhaps so your considerations on the two bikes may change.

3. The machine itself

Here's the thing - none of these machines will disappoint and you need to ride each one to see which one appeals to you the most at a cost that makes sense to you. The 650 is a stunning bike standalone and admittedly overpriced. But its nowhere comparable to the Z 900 in performance. I have come from 6 years of no riding (and an Enfield briefly before that) directly to a Striple. No reason why you can't graduate from a P220 to any of these machines. I liked the Triple because its very forgiving and easy while you find your feet and yet has the muscle to be very high performance as your confidence grows. Its low kerb weight was another appealing factor in this style of bike.

It does heat up a bit but not to an extent that's unusual for this segment. It doesn't have a slipper clutch and the card is not super soft so that's again something to bear in mind - both factors more so if you're going to be doing a lot of riding in heavy traffic.

If you can afford it, there's no way you would regret it (pillion aspect aside).

On the 650 vs 900

In terms of decision making between these two in particular, I would not be so fussed about ease of service and ownership unless your city is particularly bad. Kawasaki is finding its feet in India without Bajaj - are as invested in this market as any other leading player like HD, Triumph etc and I'm sure the ownership experience would not be too bad. Please bear in mind there are (I'm guessing) a lot more Kawis and Triumphs on the roads than H. 650 so that has to have some bearing on parts availability. Also, rupee for rupee, the market seems to prefer the bigger Kawis to the 650 so you may face a bigger resale hit on selling the 650 (I'm just guessing logically here)

Given you intend to use heavily and for a long period, I'd say pick the bike that you feel most comfortable with. Each of these bikes has enough grunt to keep you satisfied within safe parameters on Indian roads. What matters is how they deliver their power in the zone in which you intend to use. For instance if you're going to ride a lot in the city, which one is easier to ride, heats up less, has easier ergonomics, easier for the pillion etc.
Axe77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 16:48   #248
BHPian

Quote:
How were your servicing scenes with the 675? Did you have any scares or was everything smooth costing only 10K each service?
Sorry if i'm going off topic or if I've missed your cover on this. Just trying to get ur first hand experience owning a Striple
Truth be told, I had a satisfying service experience with Triumph and the service centre in Bengaluru. But two factors to be considered while evaluating the entire service
a) The number of customers were on the lower side and the service staff were enough to handle those many customers
b) I thankfully never had an accident and therefore never had to deal with the painstaking issue of having to wait for parts and the associated woes.

For the regular service related issues, everything was done as per the instructions mentioned in the manual.

The infamous issue of stalling plagued my bike and many others and other than cleaning the throttle bodies more frequently to combat the issue, the only other solution to the stalling issue is to install a manual idler. The issue was not dealt with the appropriate amount of importance and urgency and all the owners did fel they should have come up with a more robust solution.

Service related costs are explained in detail here :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...ml#post3645860
hifisharu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks