Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2014, 17:32   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: TheStig on two wheels! 2014 Amber Whiskey Harley Iron 883 comes home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybiker46 View Post
Just bumped into this thread

Congrats on your bike Stiggy boy!! Looks nice in the orange shade

Go for an exhaust upgrade and also invest in good riding pants (mesh with knee pads would do)

Ride safe & enjoy!!

I see you have a problem with cats, what happened to bike cover purchase? Anyway the ones i suggested are not long lasting, The cover i purchased when i got my bike lasted only for 3 months Since its cheap i went and bought a new one for another 3 months.

O.T Regarding high pressure washer, was it purchased locally or online?
Cat won at last!

Went for a ride last Sunday with him and me on Vespa Met a black Iron on our way back. He had done only 700 kms in 7 months! He also had LED headlights (32k) , electronic engine oil indicator ( which is cool but costs 9k).

And battery costs 8k.

Some pic and video.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ml#post3483199

Pix on that link.
Old 21st July 2014, 18:08   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybiker46 View Post
Just bumped into this thread

Congrats on your bike Stiggy boy!! Looks nice in the orange shade

Go for an exhaust upgrade and also invest in good riding pants (mesh with knee pads would do)

Ride safe & enjoy!!

I see you have a problem with cats, what happened to bike cover purchase? Anyway the ones i suggested are not long lasting, The cover i purchased when i got my bike lasted only for 3 months Since its cheap i went and bought a new one for another 3 months.

O.T Regarding high pressure washer, was it purchased locally or online?
Thanks crazybiker! Yes as per your suggestion I purchased the cover from Carrefour. Its fine so far.

Exhaust upgrade is definately on the cards. Vance & Hines it is!

The washer was purchased from Bosch authorised dealer in Trivandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Cat won at last!

Went for a ride last Sunday with him and me on Vespa Met a black Iron on our way back. He had done only 700 kms in 7 months! He also had LED headlights (32k) , electronic engine oil indicator ( which is cool but costs 9k).

And battery costs 8k.

Some pic and video.
Yes unfortunately the score is Cat 1, Stig 0
I dint cover the bike the day I came back from Cochin after service. The bike was a mess. The damn cat utilised this day to hop on and sink its claws into the seat. Now there are few small holes on it.

Yes and had an impromptu ride with jkdas and another friend. Awesome ride and good fooood!

Nadan Kozhi curry and Appam
TheStig on two wheels! 2014 Amber Whiskey Harley Iron 883 comes home...-img_20140720_072926-large.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 22nd July 2014 at 13:31. Reason: please dont quote pictures and videos as it becomes difficult for readers
Old 10th August 2014, 01:03   #48
BHPian

So I'm finally getting Vance & Hines exhaust for my bike!

Ordered the chrome Twin Slash 3" slipons from Revzilla.com
Will be receiving delivery in a week or so.

TheStig on two wheels! 2014 Amber Whiskey Harley Iron 883 comes home...-16861_2.jpg

I'm told the dealer will not fix it for me as I did not purchase it from them. If that's the case then I'll need to make some other arrangement. I'm also considering fixing them myself. Suggestions?
TheStig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 23:11   #49
BHPian

So I finally fixed the Vance & Hines exhaust on the bike

Fixed them myself with the help of a fellow Harley owner who had all the necessary tools. The dealership was willing to fix it for me, but they were only able to give me an appointment after a month as they are "fully booked".

I'm sorry, I am a weak man and simply cannot stare at a box of V&H exhausts for that long.

Fixing it was a very straightforward affair. Just had to follow the step by step instructions that comes in the packaging.

Upon removal of the stock exhaust I noticed not only do they wieigh a ton, but you can't see through to the other end. It's loaded with sound deadening material. Whereas the V&H has almost nothing inside.

TheStig on two wheels! 2014 Amber Whiskey Harley Iron 883 comes home...-img_20140917_110438-large.jpg

TheStig on two wheels! 2014 Amber Whiskey Harley Iron 883 comes home...-img_20140917_120342.jpg

TheStig on two wheels! 2014 Amber Whiskey Harley Iron 883 comes home...-img_20140917_120355.jpg

TheStig on two wheels! 2014 Amber Whiskey Harley Iron 883 comes home...-img_20140917_120405.jpg

Here's a video of the sound they make

So far I've ridden a few hundred kilometers with the new pipes. Firstly they are LOUD. I did not expect such mayhem from a pair of slipons honestly. And they are as loud as the V&H Shortshots FFE another friend has on his Iron. The horn has become a useless appendage. I simply need to just twist the throttle slightly to tell people to move aside.

Performance has greatly improved. The bike feels much much smoother. On stock pipes the engine used to start knocking when in a high gear and low rpm, for example 5th gear and slowed down to 50km/hr. Now there is no such drama.

Overall I'm super satisfied with the results. Puts a smile on my face each and every time I ride and wake up babies in my neighborhood.
TheStig is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 14:39   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
Overall I'm super satisfied with the results. Puts a smile on my face each and every time I ride and wake up babies in my neighborhood.
Hi Stig,

So you are back inTVM now. Hope you have a set of forgiving neighbours

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

ps. I had sent you a PM a while ago, did not see any response though
Old 2nd October 2014, 00:54   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
So I finally fixed the Vance & Hines exhaust on the bike..
..I ride and wake up babies in my neighborhood.
Phinalee!

I'll add my two cents, if I may.

One word - WoW!

To begin with, there was not a lot to compare. I've only ridden very few Harleys so far, a SuperLow (OE), a NightRod (V&H) and one more which God knows what it's called and that was pretty much it. The Stiggy-Davidson was the first Harley I rode pre and post the upgrade and the transformation was well..epic.

I mean, I've had the bike for a day circa the time he bought it and I took it out once or maybe twice. As I'm not an avid biker, I could resist the urge of a spanking new Harley sitting in my garage. But that was not the case once the exhaust went it, the day he brought the bike to my place I stood Stiggy waiting and went for a "short spin" which turned out to be a quite a long one. Trust me, I tried, but just couldn't get enough of it. It was physically impossible for me to stop and turn around. So I took round trip via another route or else I'm certain I would've ended up somewhere very far with no fuel or money.

Then on another totally casual occasion, when I was at his place also I requested him if I could take it out, which he kindly obliged. It was strange, I don't usually do these kinda stuff, especially for a bike. I think I'm hooked. Maybe this is how it all starts

The simple addition of a slip-on has made a rather harmless and docile little motorcycle, a propah Harley!

I would vouch the sound has gone up by at least 60% and as Stiggy said, the horn is next to useless now. People prance out of your way once they hear the rumble. And as if the heaven-shattering noise wasn't enough you're treated with a burst of really loud crackles and pops on overrun once you come off the throttle.

Now it leaves me wondering, what will a full-system would be like? Start saving already, my bwoy!
Scorcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014, 21:36   #52
Senior - BHPian

Stig, will go for a ride next weekend. I hope the Street Bob gets ready by then

And Iron883 is costlier from Oct 1 by 40k! Price hiked for most models.
Old 3rd October 2014, 01:05   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Hi Stig,

So you are back inTVM now. Hope you have a set of forgiving neighbours

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

ps. I had sent you a PM a while ago, did not see any response though
Haha so far no complaints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
Now it leaves me wondering, what will a full-system would be like? Start saving already, my bwoy!
Not very different I feel. There is another Iron in town with V&H FFE. I took it for a spin too. The only thing I felt different was that it had a more smoother sound. Otherwise just as loud and similar performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Stig, will go for a ride next weekend. I hope the Street Bob gets ready by then

And Iron883 is costlier from Oct 1 by 40k! Price hiked for most models.
Definitely! There was a hike at the time of my purchase also, around 7k. My on road price was 7.5L. Now it would surely be over 8L.
Old 16th October 2014, 14:22   #54
BHPian

As @Scorcher said , TheStig's Vance and Hines'D Iron 883 is an awesome changeover from the stock. I must say it was kinda earth shattering and worth every penny spent
Adding some pics of the Stiggy Davidson
Attached Thumbnails
TheStig on two wheels! 2014 Amber Whiskey Harley Iron 883 comes home...-dsc_0015.jpg  

TheStig on two wheels! 2014 Amber Whiskey Harley Iron 883 comes home...-img_5011.jpg  

anupam9557 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2014, 17:01   #55
BHPian

Excellent exposure. looks a lovely golden yellow rather than amber whisky.

@TheStig - Congrats on a great ride. I just wanted to know what was the exact costing of the V&H? Like how much extra did you have you have to pay as customs, etc. Can you give us the details of the procedure also?.
Also should we order only the mufflers or a full system?
Old 18th October 2014, 23:13   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRam View Post
Excellent exposure. looks a lovely golden yellow rather than amber whisky.

@TheStig - Congrats on a great ride. I just wanted to know what was the exact costing of the V&H? Like how much extra did you have you have to pay as customs, etc. Can you give us the details of the procedure also?.
Also should we order only the mufflers or a full system?
Thank you SDRam!

I bought the slipons from Revzilla.com. The price was $293, which is Rs. 18,000 in todays exchange rate.

Now since Revzilla does not ship exhaust systems internationally I had them ship it to a friend of mine living in Texas. And they have free shipping within the US. My friend then sent it to me in Dubai via DHL.

So in total it cost me somewhere near Rs. 25,000, including shipping costs from US to UAE.

Brought the exhaust with me from Dubai. Simply walked past Customs. Did not have to pay any Duty or taxes etc.

Installing them is very easy. The exhausts come with very clear instructions on how to install. Just follow them exactly and you will be fine. However, I strongly suggest you get them fixed from the dealership itself if you're not confident.

And regarding mufflers only or Full system:

I had a similar discussion with Shubz. In fact he suggested to go for the slip ons rather than a full system. Mainly because the Full Flow exhausts (FFE) puts more pressure on moving parts/pistons/valves of the engine and reduces the overall life of the engine by half.
And of course they cost double of what you need to spend on Slip ons. The choice of exhaust should basically be made after deciding how much of a performance gain you want.
I was looking for a moderate increase in performance and more sound. And I was on a budget. So the Slip ons made sense to me.

Hope this was helpful
TheStig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 11:06   #57
BHPian

thank you stig

I have come across a website - motosport.com which ships to india.
They have 2 models - straight shots and twinslash - for 27K and 21K approx without shipping. If taxes are pre paid it is about 50% of these.
Have any of the members in the forum purchased from this store? Any inputs?

Many of the forum members suggest SE for superlow and V&H for Iron. But I am waiting to hear the sounds in person and make a decision.
Old 21st October 2014, 17:44   #58
BHPian

Quote:
thank you stig

They have 2 models - straight shots and twinslash - for 27K and 21K approx without shipping. If taxes are pre paid it is about 50% of these.

Many of the forum members suggest SE for superlow and V&H for Iron. But I am waiting to hear the sounds in person and make a decision.
If you hear the 2014 SE sound and compare that to the V&H, you will be thoroughly disappointed. Even the salesman at the Harley showroom in Cochin admitted the 2014 model is not as loud as previous years.

And I don't see why you should use only SE on a Superlow. Iron and Superlow are exactly the same mechanically. I would only suggest V&H.

I had also stumbled upon motosport.com, and some consumer review sites had some bad reviews in them. But it would be best if you could ask someone who has actually purchased from there, unfortunately I don't know anyone who has. Also I found that Revzilla had cheaper prices compared to others. Have you tried getting a quotation for V&H from the dealership itself?
Old 22nd October 2014, 00:53   #59
BHPian

Quote:
thank you stig

SDRam. Motosport adds additional shipping and customs duty when you are trying to check out. The best bet to get VNH is from Jpcycles who directly ship to India, or check with Tusker. They get it from Salcom Auto Components AFAIK
Old 22nd October 2014, 01:04   #60
BHPian

I will wait till I cover at least 1000kms before taking a call on the V&H/SE. Also I have not yet spoken to the dealers on the new SE 2014 or the V&H. Will talk to them tomorrow or day after and post updates.

Meanwhile any experience with jpcycles?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks