What I like

1. Looks of the bike. Though low Harley has designed the beast tastefully
2. Initial Torque of the bike. The first two gears are mind blowing
3. Comfortable Ride. Rides well on bad patches of road
4. Ease of handling.
5. The HOG community

What I don’t.

1. Spongy brakes. The braking power seems inadequate
2. Ground clearance. Even though this had the highest GC, it seems low for the Himalayan humps in Bangalore
3. Cost Cutting. The controls look cheap and feel very fragile. I wonder when that indicator switch is gone break. There is no hazard indicator like other HD’s
4. Pathetic Sounding horn – Already changed to Roots Windtone.
5. Comparison of the bike with Avenger. Got even questions if it’s a modified avenger
6. Rear View Mirror. I can only see my shoulders in it

I am more of a car guy and the only time I rode my bike on regular basis was about 4 years back when in college. My first bike is a Honda Unicorn, which I still have and use it small run around near home. So let me begin my story with my Street.

Booking :
The Black Beauty - Harley Street 750-img_0229.jpg

I had read about the street launch and seen its picture from TBHP and wanted to see. Though I live in Bangalore and passed through Harley showroom couple of times never bothered to step in. On a Saturday morning I had some time and I has also heard about the triumph’s new showroom. So walked in there to take a look at the Bonneville I was not impressed much with the looks. Also the showroom folks were not too interested in selling also and were busy with their personal work. Hence did waste much time and went to Tusker Harley.

As soon as I entered the showroom I saw big bikes and gleaming right in front was street 750. I just loved the looks of it. I was attended by sales guy named Neel Bajaj. He was knowledgeable guy and answered my questions regarding quality concerns since the product is made in India. I was sold just on the looks and since they offered no test rides yet I ended up booking and paid a booking amount and left. I never had any intention of buying a Harley until I saw it in flesh and it was an instantaneous decision. They promised a delivery date in the early July.

After this the reviews started flowing in on the net and saw a couple of videos on YouTube also. Most reviews applauded the engine however all were worried about the glaring cost cutting. I was in two minds whether to continue or not. I was also worried if the bike would suit me as I am 6’’ 1’ and it would look small. After these thoughts I got a little busy with work and personal commitments and could not follow up with them.

I was confused and thought I will upgrade the ride to an Iron 883 rather as there are so many supporting reviews for it right here on TBHP. I called the showroom and I am shot down with a waiting period of 6 months. Finally came to conclusion to continue with the Street booking and as the engine is amazing. The agonizing wait was back on. Finally in the second week of June I receive a call from Tusker and they said they could deliver a glossy black one instead of the fire red that I had booked in a week. I was all exited and went back to them and finalized the loan and payment details

Harley Tax

I was also introduced to the Chrome Consultant at Tusker. He was a courteous guys and explained the various accessories available. Finalized with a sissy bar with back rest, a engine guard and also the screaming eagle exhaust. The screaming eagle is in transit and should be available by early next month. In the meantime also picked up a leather Harley Jacket from them.

Delivery

The delivery was promised on 20th June and I reached the showroom at around four along with brother and my riding gear. Tusker has some audit going on that day from HD India and operations executive also joined along the delivery process. Got a chance to interact with him and little bit and learned that currently HD produces about 35 Street’s on a day and the waiting period is currently reached 6 months. Naganandhan had already got all the docs ready and the delivery was well handled. Had couple of papers signed about the riding safety and bike delivery details. They also gave a run down on the dos and don’ts of the bike.

The Black Beauty - Harley Street 750-img_0230.jpg

The bike was brought down from their service center along with the accessories installed by 5. I finally got on the bike by 5.30 PM and was all set to drive. I was surprised by the initial torque of the bike and it pulled amazingly. This was the first time I was riding a bike in this segment as I never took any test rides. One of the things that I had a problem in the first day was the heat from the bike. As I was riding in Bumper to Bumper traffic in Bangalore the engine was getting heated and when the radiator fan turns on the entire heat comes on to the legs.

The ride till date.
The Black Beauty - Harley Street 750-img_0467.jpg

Positives
  • Power
  • Stability
  • Good handling for a cruiser

Negatives
  • Braking
  • Heat in the city traffic
  • Wet Tyre grip

The bike is a dream to ride for me. It never fails to put the smile on the face every time the throttle is opened.The first two gears have great power and torque. The main reason I went with the sissy bar and back rest is because of this. If we accelerate more in the first gear there is high chances of the pillion to land on their backs as the the pillion seat is a joke.

The gear ratios are well defined and we get that clunk sound when the first gear is slotted. There is good amount of torque available though out the rev range. It does not need constant up shifts and downshift. You can even cruise at 50's in the sixth gear and still accelerate pretty fast.

The bike accelerates to 3 digits pretty fast and is very stable. But this does vibrate on higher speeds and you can feel it to an extent. I guess that is a characteristic of Harley's.

The bike handles well and its not tough to navigate in the city also. The only downside if you are stuck in traffic its gonna get real hot however not as much as the other Air cooled HD's. Also taking u turns can be a problem as it has a long turning radius

Harley did a cost cutting of giving the Zapper tires in India replacing the Michelin. These tires are not upto the mark and has a bad wet grip. It tends to skid. In monsoon I had a couple of instances where the rear wheels wheels were skidding. The brakes are not upto the mark and does not give adequate stopping power in higher speeds. I tend to use engine braking alongside to reduce the speeds.

The suspension is good and absorbs the infamous potholes of Bangalore without a fuss. Even though this bike has the highest GC in the HD's it still seems less for the Bangalore humps.

To sum up This bike is value for money from Harley stable is my personal opinion.

I have completed about 1,000 KMS on the bike and have done a mix of highways and city rides. On the Friday, 18th the HOG had planned an overnighter to Mangalore (monsoon ride ) I was excited to join the ride and went to Tusker. However after that all things went downwards, there was a throttle issue with the bike and whenever I open the throttle more the fuel supply gets cut off. I had to return half way. I later dropped my bike for service on 23rd and informed about this problem. The issue was isolated to a bad fuel sensor and this was replaced. Now the bike accelerates fine and throttle response is better.

The first service costs 6,188 where the oil filter and engine oil were replaced. Now the bike runs smoother and I will keep this thread posted with further details.
The Black Beauty - Harley Street 750-img_0790.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
The Black Beauty - Harley Street 750-img_0322.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st August 2014 at 12:03. Reason: Negative = 'breaking', correcting to 'braking', though both are negatives ;)
sreejith.j is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 12:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Black Beauty - Harley Street 750

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorbikes Section. Thanks for sharing!
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 12:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nice! Our first Street.

Congratulations on your new baby Sreejith. Look forward to reading your updates about what this bike can do.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 13:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the new Street 750, Sreejit. The Street 750 will keep you happy with its rev happy engine and well balanced suspension. I hope you have all the required riding gear. Ride safe and wish you many happy and safe miles.

Do keep the thread updated as regularly as possible. There is a lot of interest from many of us who want to know how the bike fares in the long run.

Regarding the tires, they are just about OK in dry but like you mentioned, confidence in the wet is another issue. When I tested the bike up north, even on dry tarmac, the front had a tendency to squeal and threaten to lock up under hard braking.

Are you considering switching to Michelin's for better grip and overall safety?

P.S. Do read this thread.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 14:04   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Sreejith, Congratulations & Thanks for starting this thread ( assume after my goading)

750 looks fantastic in black and looks so different than a regular harley

Look forward to regular updates with lots of pictures as you keep munching more miles. Do change the tyres to Michelins which hopefully should also improve the braking to some extent along with handling characteristics

Looks like a standard service cost across the Harley and Triumph stable for the 1st service. Smells fishy !!

At what speed do you observe the vibrations? Also, does the vibration reserved only for the handle bars or it transfers even till the footpegs?

Finally, the quintessential questions. Whats the average?
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 14:30   #6
BHPian

Congratulations mate on your ride! finally we have an ownership thread for the street 750. We all look forward to know more about your rides and experience. Keep on posting and all the best!

Good that you removed the cowl, it looks better this way IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejith.j View Post
Hi Folks,

5. Comparison of the bike with Avenger. Got even questions if it’s a modified avenger
I belive this was bound to happen, but when you burst will power with your screaming eagles, they'll know.
Another reason in my opion is the use of very "Indian" material on this bike - something like a saree guard (that too on both sides).

Take care and all the best for all your future rides.

and finally, welcome to the HOG family
abhimanyu_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 18:30   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Congratulations on the new Street 750, Sreejit. The Street 750 will keep you happy with its rev happy engine and well balanced suspension. I hope you have all the required riding gear. Ride safe and wish you many happy and safe miles.

Are you considering switching to Michelin's for better grip and overall safety?

P.S. Do read this thread.
Thanks Aditya, I did get riding gear like the Jacket from Harley, Spartan Street gloves and Knox Knee pads. Currently have a LS2 Full face helmet. Will be changing to a SNELL Certified one soon.

I am still not sure about changing the tires as I have plans to upgrade the bike soon. But I don't think so these tires are available off the shelf also here. Yet to do my research of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Sreejith, Congratulations & Thanks for starting this thread ( assume after my goading)

750 looks fantastic in black and looks so different than a regular harley

Looks like a standard service cost across the Harley and Triumph stable for the 1st service. Smells fishy !!

At what speed do you observe the vibrations? Also, does the vibration reserved only for the handle bars or it transfers even till the footpegs?

Finally, the quintessential questions. Whats the average?
Thanks mobike008. I had started the thread long back but it was your post that inspired to complete it

About service costs. I guess they are similar across the board. Even bigger bikes have similar costs. Even the Thunderbird storm has a service cost of 6K. The only difference is in HD's its either 6 months or 8K KMS and in Triumph its 1 year or 10K KMS.

The vibrations are there from about 120's but its managable.

I have still not done a exact measure of the mileage. But I guess I am getting an avarage of 20. I will do a tanfull test and update it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhimanyu_singh View Post
Congratulations mate on your ride! finally we have an ownership thread for the street 750. We all look forward to know more about your rides and experience. Keep on posting and all the best!

Good that you removed the cowl, it looks better this way IMO.

I belive this was bound to happen, but when you burst will power with your screaming eagles, they'll know.
Another reason in my opion is the use of very "Indian" material on this bike - something like a saree guard (that too on both sides).
Thanks Abhimanyu. I don't think the saree guard makes it more Indian like. I was also initially apprehensive about it and wanted it removed, but couldn't do it initially as Bike had to registered on my name before showroom folks remove it.I had to ride it out first on a temp registration. But it helps if you going on longer rides for using saddle bags. Even in HD's only sportster does not come with it inbuilt. The dyna family comes with it.

Ans yes, I never liked the cowl and it was removed on day 1. It was DIY. Had to HEX screws to be removed and then it was removed from the rubber housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Nice! Our first Street.

Congratulations on your new baby Sreejith. Look forward to reading your updates about what this bike can do.
Thanks Doc.
Old 1st August 2014, 22:19   #8
BHPian

Sreejith - congrats for the sweet new ride!! And thanks for the post. Since I am also a Street owner in waiting, I found it quite helpful.

Quote:
Pathetic Sounding horn – Already changed to Roots Windtone.
When I tested the bike, this was something I felt too. However, the sales guy said that changing the horns would void warranty! Did you check with them? If they are fine, this will be one of the first things I will do too.

Quote:
I was also worried if the bike would suit me as I am 6’’ 1’ and it would look small.
I noticed that you seem to hunch when you're riding due to your height. You might want to consider the higher seat as it may be more comfortable for long rides.

Quote:
This was the first time I was riding a bike in this segment as I never took any test rides.
I'm surprised you even booked without a test ride! I don't think I'd ever have the courage to do that!!
Old 1st August 2014, 23:30   #9
BHPian

Congratulations on your black beauty Sreejit. This was the most awaited ownership review on this section of the forum.

Your ride looks simply amazing and suits you very well based on the pics below. I did ride along with you on the Oberoi ride but never recognized a fellow team bhpian there.

Looking forward to meet you this week for the breakfast ride.

Ride Safe
Dust_Harl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 23:47   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjun04 View Post
Sreejith - congrats for the sweet new ride!! And thanks for the post. Since I am also a Street owner in waiting, I found it quite helpful.

When I tested the bike, this was something I felt too. However, the sales guy said that changing the horns would void warranty! Did you check with them? If they are fine, this will be one of the first things I will do too.
I didn't. Its a pretty easy mod and removable any time. Roots is the OEM and connectors are compatible.

Quote:
I noticed that you seem to hunch when you're riding due to your height. You might want to consider the higher seat as it may be more comfortable for long rides.
It only raises a lil bit and I guess that is not enough for me. I am now accustomed to this I guess. Hopefully I don't end up with back ache.

Quote:
I'm surprised you even booked without a test ride! I don't think I'd ever have the courage to do that!!
I don't know why but all my automotive purchases till date are without test rides including my cars .
I usually go with the reviews and TBHP has been my bible from ages.

For street threads of Shubz and dkaile have been a guide to the brand quality of HD and that assured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust_Harl View Post
Congratulations on your black beauty Sreejit. This was the most awaited ownership review on this section of the forum.

Your ride looks simply amazing and suits you very well based on the pics below. I did ride along with you on the Oberoi ride but never recognized a fellow team bhpian there.

Looking forward to meet you this week for the breakfast ride.

Ride Safe
Thanks bro. Will catch up you. I guess sometimes the forum handles never let us recognize
sreejith.j is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 07:39   #11
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Congrats Sreejith on the new ride. The bike is acually looking even better without the headlight fairing. Wishing you many safe miles on it.
Old 2nd August 2014, 10:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations- Sreejith!
Your HD looks awesome in black. I am waiting for HD to update the braking and launch an abs version, before I take the plunge!
The bike rocks and is one gem of an engine, for sure!
Happy Riding!
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 16:56   #13
BHPian

Congratulations sreejith.j!

Wish you many many happy miles on your new bike and welcome to HOG

Ride safe

Quote:
Yes those kind of questions can be a bummer. However I face a different question at the fuel station: 'Petrol or Diesel sir?'
TheStig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 00:01   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Congratulations- Sreejith!
Your HD looks awesome in black. I am waiting for HD to update the braking and launch an abs version, before I take the plunge!
The bike rocks and is one gem of an engine, for sure!
Happy Riding!
Thanks getsurya

I don't think so Harley would include ABS on the street anytime in the future also until made mandatory by law. Even the sportsters don't have it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
Congratulations sreejith.j!

Wish you many many happy miles on your new bike and welcome to HOG
Thanks bro.

Quote:
Ride safe
Yes those kind of questions can be a bummer. However I face a different question at the fuel station: 'Petrol or Diesel sir?'
LOL... cant help it. I also get people always saying the Headlamp is

BTW .. your iron is amazing. The color just makes it deadly
Old 3rd August 2014, 09:05   #15
BANNED

Congratulations and welcome to the HOG.

Had a chance to ride and check out the Street up close recently.

The Engine is the key ingredient to the bike.

Very un-Harley like . Smooth and (relatively) vibe free.

Overall the package is not too bad, but as with all Harleys, needs to be "Customized".

One thing I noticed on the bike that lot of people complained earlier was the electrical wiring. The most obvious thing is that the sheathing does not reach up to the connectors leaving the connectors with the bright plastic exposed.

If you have the time and inclination, try to source some large and medium sized "Heat-shrink" tubes. If you can slide them over your connectors and heat it with a heat gun, you can have a cleaner finish.

If you want the black plastic of your radiator to retain that black look especially after a Monsoon ride, spray WD-40 liberally and let it sit a few minutes before washing. Works well on other "Black" areas on the bike as well.

Wishing you many memorable miles on your new Steed.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed