Team-BHP - Triumph: Street Triple or Bonneville T100?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Triumph: Street Triple or Bonneville T100? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/153789-triumph-street-triple-bonneville-t100.html)

Chaps,

Good to be back after an almost 2 year hiatus!

My Garage consists of the following:
- 1960 Fiat Select, aka "Vinty"
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...ct-1100-a.html
- Yet to be restored (but in running condition) 350cc Jawa twin
- Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500
- New VW Polo 1.5 TDi (booked this one, delivery lined up for 7th Aug)

I was perfectly happy with my 2012 Classic Chrome until I rode my colleagues Bonnie T100 in London. I decided instantly that an upgrade was in order as soon as I returned to India!

As soon as I came back, off I went to Keerthi Motors in Bangalore, went through the simple form-filling exercise and plonked my back-side on the Bonnie (with the insanely loud 2x2 Arrows without baffle plates). I was mesmerised with the feel of the bike. I won't go into details that have already been dealt with in detail on this forum! I then rode the street triple. I got off the bike with two thoughts:
1. This bike is insane!
2. Why are my palms hurting?

To summarise, I went back home thinking.... The Street Triple is FUN to ride... the Bonnie is JOY to ride!!

I kept pondering about my test ride for a few days afterwards. I was still undecided. I thought because I rode the Bonnie first, I was spoilt by it and hence found the Street Triple not as good. So, I called up the friendly chaps from Keerthi Motors and asked for another TD, this time riding the Street Triple first. Ended up with the same result, Bonnie was JOY and the Street Triple was FUN but still left me with aching palms.

I checked with the guy from Keerthi Motors about this pain and was told this was due to the fact that I was not used to the slightly sporty riding position and that I was used to the more relaxed riding position of the Bonnie (similar to my Classic Chrome)

Its been a couple of weeks, and I am still not convinced! Thought I'd reach out to this forum and get your opinion.

My riding needs:
- Mostly city riding
- Occasional long rides (although this might change once I triumph'ed!!)
- Should be reasonably comfortable for a pillion rider

Also, both the T100 and the Street Triple fit my wallet size.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I plan to book a bike as soon as I make up my mind!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAC444 (Post 3493013)
...this time riding the Street Triple first. Ended up with the same result, Bonnie was JOY and the Street Triple was FUN but still left me with aching palms.

I checked with the guy from Keerthi Motors about this pain and was told this was due to the fact that I was not used to the slightly sporty riding position ...

The Show Room guys are right on this. The STriple has a bit more leaned over riding geometry than the Bonnie. Believe me, you will get used to this position within a week or so.

A technical and boring explanation to the aching palms would be that you are putting your upper body's weight too much on the wrists. Actually for a bike with slightly leaned over seating, it should be your lower back muscles that should be supporting your upper body weight and your arms and grip on the handlebars should be light and free.

I still remember how I hated the R15 at first when I rode it after owing my TBTS for a month! :)

But please do note that the STriple's seating geometry is more upright like other nakeds and it will never be uncomfortable even for daily use.

Hope you make up your mind and book either of the beasts soon! :)

Hi, I took delivery of my ninja 650 last month, prior to this I had not ridden motorcycles since my college days due to me being pampered with the comfort of cars.

Regarding palm ache, the first 3-4 days of riding the Ninja, I faced severe ache in my palm. I then procured a nice set of riding gloves which gave some amount of cushioning to the palm and a little ease while twisting the wrist.

So from day one of your purchase, pls make sure to get used to riding with gloves on. Thanks.

CAC - The answer to your dilemma is a no brainer! :)

T100 it is for you! Unless you want to tread on a different path and trip for the STriple as you already have a Bullet.

But since you have mentioned occasional long rides and its mostly for city rides, STrip would be a tad overkill just for city use. My 0.05 paisa on this.

All the best in making a choice!

Hi CAC

That's a fantastic dilemma. I wish many of us could be as lucky to be in such dilemma:D

When I visited the Triumph Showroom for a Test Ride ( Straight after riding an Harley Iron 883) I had already shortlisted Bonnie as the only bike that I was seriously interested from the Triumph stable as I had made a few visits prior to their godown (before official release) to get a feel of the Bonnie and I liked the overall feel of it

When I test rode the Bonnie, it was in same sequence as yours.

Rode the Bonnie first and it was for about 7-8kms and there was an instant connection to the Bonnie ( this has been mentioned by almost everyone who rode it for the first time). Within 30 secs, i felt like i know this bike and was weaving in and out of traffic so comfortably and that too at high speeds.

The single most reason for me to decide on the Bonnie was its gorgeous handling, brakes and overall ease of riding a bike ( even a first timer can ride it comfortably and BHPian Absynthguzzler is great example of that and he rode a 100cc bike briefly prior to purchasing a Bonnie and now he is at home on it)

Next came the Street Tripple ride. It has a bent-over position with tank riding up into groin area ( I hate that feeling when sudden braking makes you ride up the tank). Thumbed the starter and loved the engine note of the Street Tripple. Took it for a spin on the same stretch of 7-8kms and I must confess that I was not at all comfortable riding this bike the same way I was with a Bonnie. I was scared to lunge into a gap, take a corner at high speed etc. It would need some practice to do what you can do with Bonnie in 30 seconds

Street has the power (but, since most of it comes in high revvs, it didnt feel so in that short ride and felt comparable to Bonnie), sweet engine note and iam sure great handling capabilities but, after that short ride, I immediately discared this as an option.

Bonneville SE suited me for following reasons :-

1. Comfortable riding positon (Love the stock handle bar, dont plan to make any changes to it)

2. Plenty of power on tap ( Iam happy with this power delivery and feel it's perfect for a grocery shopping run and also to chase down those hard to catch superbikes on highways:uncontrol)

3. Handling capabilities ( Excellent handling capabilies both in traffic conditions and those long sweeping highways. I love the way you can swerve the Bonnie in traffic. Throw it into a gap and you will come out magically from the other end. There are very few bikes you can ride in traffic like you can with a Bonnie)

4. Ride ( Initially felt the ride to be bit hard. But, after 1st service, its perfect and comfortable. Ride never feels like rods being shoved into your back which is typical of most harleys)

5. Finally, the engine. It's absolutely butter smooth and there is zero vibrations till a very high speed.

Above were the primary factors for me choosing a Bonneville SE

Btw, You should test ride a Bonneville SE and finalizing between a Bonneville T100 and Street Tripple?

Please beware Bonneville SE and Bonneville T100 ride "Very differently". I recommend you ride the T100 before taking your final decision.

Cheers & Goodluck on choosing a bike that you like most !!!
Mobike008

Some threads to confuse you even more...LOL

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...eville-23.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...omes-home.html

Quote:

My riding needs:
- Mostly city riding
- Occasional long rides (although this might change once I triumph'ed!!)
- Should be reasonably comfortable for a pillion rider

CAC, both bikes are very different, in the engine, handling, styling and many more departments.

The Bonny is more suited for a relaxed cruise on the highway (even at triple digits). It is also super comfy for the pillion.

The ST though is a cracker of a bike, for those looking for a sporty ride and quick bursts of speed. The ST can give you a fun day at the track too in addition to riding in the city and highway. It will potter around in the city without any issues as power delivery is smooth, crisp and very linear unlike the bigger (super) bikes which have a tendency to propel into zero gravity space at the twist of the wrist. :D

Pillion seat is also comfy on the ST but nowhere close to the bonny. Fellow member hifisharu has toured with his wife as pillion on his ST. His wife had no complaints when i spoke with her (my consideration for the next bike too was a comfy ride for the pillion) except for the power delivery, when she has to hold on to the rider to stay on the bike. Otherwise, it is very comfy as long as breaks are thrown in every few 100 kms.

I've been riding the Ninja 250 for over 4 years now and I felt at home on the ST in less than a minute. The bike is light, super agile and extremely flickable and getting used to the ergonomics (slight forward lean) is only a matter of time.

I was initially fixed on the bonny but compared to the ST, I found it boring or that it would get boring after a few months of ownership. If you are a long distance rider/tourer, then the bonny may be your pick. If you're looking for a super fun ride each time it's gotta be the ST.

I still enjoy the ninja after all these years and it will be the ST that replaces it in the future.

However these are my views and this can differ from person to person.

My humble suggestion - ride both bikes a little more extensively. Buy the one that your heart yearns for. :)

All the best.

CAC
Go with your heart and the riding comfort my friend. Looks like you are more comfortable on Bonnie than an ST and I guess that is primarily due to your experience on Classic riding style. Try take a longer test ride on ST and see if you are comfortable with the handling and riding position.

Both are from two different segment and your choice purely depends on the usage. In case you want to cruise over the highway then go with Bonnie else if you are a speed freak and want to zip at higher speeds always then go with ST.

Mind you both are more of a weekend riding bikes and may not be a substitute for everyday usage.

Happy Riding!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dust_Harl (Post 3493426)
Both are from two different segment and your choice purely depends on the usage. In case you want to cruise over the highway then go with Bonnie else if you are a speed freak and want to zip at higher speeds always then go with ST.

Well said and concur with you.

Bonnie if you like to enjoy high speed cruising vs. bursts of speeds for the ST

Choose what suits your style of riding and usage pattern

Both are extremely good bikes with silky smooth engines and can give you tonnes of riding pleasure :thumbs up

No brainer, ride em around for a good time and buy whichever your heart likes.

Bikes are very personal choice and character and impression will vary from person to person asking for opinion is asking for trouble :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 3493648)
No brainer, ride em around for a good time and buy whichever your heart likes.

Jaggu what a diplomatic answer:D

Go ahead, Say it. That your in love with Street Tripple and also WHY?:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 3493671)
Jaggu what a diplomatic answer:D

Go ahead, Say it. That your in love with Street Tripple and also WHY?:)

No man i have previously also stated my personal choice, here i am giving an advice to someone else. From my bike buying choices over last 2 decades or so. It has been always from the heart, that stayed with me.

Why should i try to impose my opinion or choice. :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 3493675)
Why should i try to impose my opinion or choice.

Giving advice is not imposing on anyone. If you highlight why you like the Street Tripple, that gives the prospective buyer more perspective into the bike and give comparison points of whether they suit and match his needs. Also helps folks taking a uniform decision

At the end of the day, nobody buys a bike/car based on any one advice/recommendation. It's always an amalgamation of advice/test ride/suitability and finally the budget:)

If I had the money, I'd buy them both. :D

But seriously though, I don't consider myself learned or experienced enough to advise but if the vehicles you presently own are of any indications of your aesthetic leanings & probable driving manners then I think you'll have the benefit of short & long term satisfaction with the T100 instead of the Street.

Both are beautiful machines and if I had to, I'd personally buy one of the Triple brothers within a heartbeat but like others have mentioned, there is no 'one-size-fits-all' in the world of biking and I feel that once the initial fun factor of the Street wanes off, it may not be the bike you'd like to have around for long-term usage but thats just an inkling I have.

I vote the T100 but the final call is all yours. :)

Quote:

Ended up with the same result, Bonnie was JOY and the Street Triple was FUN but still left me with aching palms.

I feel the aching palms issue can be addressed. Could it be as a result of locking up your arms? Gripping the throttle too tight? Leaning in too much? In my opinion about naked bike riding styles - all the weight should be taken by the abs/core of your body leaving the hands/arms very free. Elbows loose enough to flutter in windy conditions, hands on the handlebars only to react quickly for bumps or potholes. I rode the Speed triple last month. It has a very similar seating position compared to the Street triple. I would even go further and say - felt the same as FZ 9r. I am 6`1" and I did not see anything unusual about the riding position on the Street triple.

I am really biased in favor of naked bikes, and its a no brainer for me. Street Triple is Fun and Joy! I reserve my comments on Bonneville lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 3493680)
Giving advice is not imposing on anyone.

Or just confuse the poor soul, if you have missed the earlier comments. I strongly feel a motorcycle purchase is a very straight from the heart decision. Test drive and go with the instinct, especially when the person has judged the choices pretty well. :)