Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2014, 11:37   #46
BHPian

Re: Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post

I picked up a new tank-bag: the Viaterra Fly Magnetic and even at very high speed, it was rock-solid and didn't move a milimeter. Very capacious and manage to cram in clothes, hair-straightner [don't ask why], cosmetics and i didn't have to carry anything on my back.

Attachment 1320211
I've never seen the Fly magnetic tankbags load up so much!!

Nice to know the bike used for trips like these
nosfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 16:16   #47
BHPian

There have been more trips but still planning the mother of all trips I've done - 3,000 km. Hopefully the bike will run beautifully.

Watch this space.

Last edited by djpeesh : 1st January 2015 at 16:18.
djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2015, 23:21   #48
BHPian

The weather had been perfect for afternoon rides. So we rode up to lonavla at 330pm.
Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-1420307275885.jpg

Reached by about 530. Made the obligatory stop at Coopers for some fudge and after loading up the tank bag, we rode to Dukes for some coffee.

Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-1420307364658.jpg
Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-1420307354330.jpg
Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-1420307338424.jpg
Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-1420307320918.jpg
Watched the sun go down and left Khandala at 630 pm. We rode on the expressway and got off and the Bonnies full beam was no match for the pitch darkness on the highway. Slowed down the speed and rode slowly. We were at the Panvel bypass by about 715 and on Palm Beach Road soon after.

The speed breakers on NH4A are insane. They require some serious mountain climbing and soon we were on my favorite riding road - palm Beach.

Quick progress on palm Beach Road and soon we were on the SCLR, home for dinner at 9 pm.
Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-1420307378520.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-1420307299232.jpg  

djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 05:30   #49
BHPian

Hey DJ,
Always lovely to have our womenfolk enjoy the weekend rides with us. However, please get her better protective gear. Outside city limits, the sweetness of the Bonnie engine always makes us more enthusiastic about our riding than what we have been ever used to with our past bikes
Old 6th January 2015, 13:13   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayant06 View Post
Hey DJ,
Always lovely to have our womenfolk enjoy the weekend rides with us. However, please get her better protective gear. Outside city limits, the sweetness of the Bonnie engine always makes us more enthusiastic about our riding than what we have been ever used to with our past bikes
Jayant: the gear is in place. Have you tried to get a lady to wear gear? I can just about cajole her into wearing a riding jacket. Boots are a no go as is the full-face helmet I picked up for her.

And with a pillion, my max speed is always below 80 kmph, come what may. I may have charge over my life, but riding two up brings added responsibility.
Old 6th January 2015, 14:37   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Jayant: the gear is in place. Have you tried to get a lady to wear gear? I can just about cajole her into wearing a riding jacket. Boots are a no go as is the full-face helmet I picked up for her.
completely agree with you there. It was really difficult to finally zero in on the cramster breezer in my case. Its completely a different ball game to make them wear knee guards. No idea what'll happen wrt full face hemlet
Old 7th January 2015, 10:53   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhimanyu_singh View Post
completely agree with you there. It was really difficult to finally zero in on the cramster breezer in my case. Its completely a different ball game to make them wear knee guards. No idea what'll happen wrt full face hemlet
I got her a Cortech LRX Air 2 Jacket from the US. She picked out the color as she thinks that I chose Power Ranger-esque gear. The helmet is one we picked up in Indonesia because she didn't want to wear a rental helmet when we rented a bike there.

I have a small helmet shop in my living room now. A flip-up original LS2, a full-face MT revenge for her, my Vemar full-face and the orange KT? half face.

Can someone tell me how to explain to her that she needs to wear boots, a full face helmet and knee pads? It leads to many arguments
Old 7th January 2015, 11:30   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can someone tell me how to explain to her that she needs to wear boots, a full face helmet and knee pads? It leads to many arguments
Hi djp, I guess I am lucky in this respect, that my spouse refuses to get on the bike without reasonable gear such as proper boots, FF Helmet, A padded Jacket and Ridding Jeans and gloves. So much she will not allow my son or daughter to get on my pillion without these.

I guess she has seen first hand how people wearing proper ridding gear walking away from high speed crashes and how people have serious consequences from even a slow speed accident when not wearing proper gear.

Get her to watch some Moto GP crash videos, specially ones where riders walk away and point out these facts to her in comparison with day to day street accidents/news.

The negative is she may stop ridding altogether

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 15:23   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post

The negative is she may stop ridding altogether

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Thanks Ram. That is a SERIOUS ISSUE which is why the cry for help :P
Old 8th January 2015, 12:22   #55
BHPian

Oh boy! Is there anything that I have experienced (or still experiencing!) that has not already been discussed here.

I'm somewhere in the middle of the situation that Ram and Djpeesh are. The wife has agreed to a full face helmet after the theatrics of suffocation, claustrophobia etc. She's agreed to a jacket too- as long as it 'looks good'. Boots, trousers and gloves are still in the phase of settling in in her mind. Though surprisingly she insists I always wear the full gear, which I need to get better with.

The bigger problem is there aren't many options available for women motorcycling gear in India.
Old 10th January 2015, 18:19   #56
BHPian

So when the screw ups happen, they happen in pairs. Two weeks ago, the fuel sensor packed up and I had to push the bike 3 km to the petrol pump. The fuel sensor was replaced and the bike came back home.

Then on Thursday night, me and gf decided to go for a ride since it was a cool night and seemed to be perfect weather for a ride.

We geared up and decided to ride to town and get some coffee at marine drive.

We were enjoying the ride and then suddenly, I slowed down for a speed breaker and while changing gear, the left footpeg just snapped and fell off onto the road.

Luckily I was riding at 20 kmph so I put my feet down and pulled over on the side of the road. There was a bus on my left and a bus behind me so if it had happened just after the speedbreaker, I wouldn't be writing this post.

I picked up the peg off the road after all the traffic had cleared and also picked up the bolt that fell onto the road.

To cut a long story short, we decided to ride home and rested my foot on the silencer. Reached home and the next morning, blew my fuse with Triumph.

The RSA came and picked up the bike and the peg has been replaced. Just picked up the bike and came home.

It blows my mind that something like this could happen on a so-called premium motorcycle, when my 33 year old Yezdi still has all its pegs intact.

Here are the pictures of the broken bits. Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-1420894038561.jpg
Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-1420894054561.jpg
Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-1420894072130.jpg
Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-1420894101929.jpg
Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-1420894116009.jpg
Old 10th January 2015, 19:00   #57
BHPian

Glad you are well DJ. When I see riders - also robust ones! - standing on pegs moto-cross style, I have always feared an event like this. It is so unusual for the bolt to get sheared off like this. Are you sure kids do not have access to the bike, where it is parked?
Old 10th January 2015, 20:36   #58
BHPian

No kids in my building sir. It's parked very securely. The only explanation I can think of is that sometimes the peg gets caught on my trousers. But that's about it.
Old 10th January 2015, 22:58   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We were enjoying the ride and then suddenly, I slowed down for a speed breaker and while changing gear, the left footpeg just snapped and fell off onto the road.

Luckily I was riding at 20 kmph so I put my feet down and pulled over on the side of the road. There was a bus on my left and a bus behind me so if it had happened just after the speedbreaker, I wouldn't be writing this post.
Was the left foot peg ever removed post delivery or any time after factory. Like whilst fitting after market silencer etc. ?

The reason for this query (may be engineers/experts here can confirm, from the pics it look like a over torqueing fracture.

Even I have seen dealers not using torque wrenches whilst working on the bikes. All the new machine bolts are very torque sensitive and its becoming a major issue these days.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Old 12th January 2015, 17:06   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Was the left foot peg ever removed post delivery or any time after factory. Like whilst fitting after market silencer etc. ?

The reason for this query (may be engineers/experts here can confirm, from the pics it look like a over torqueing fracture.

Even I have seen dealers not using torque wrenches whilst working on the bikes. All the new machine bolts are very torque sensitive and its becoming a major issue these days.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
The peg has never been removed to the best of my knowledge. Someone else also remarked that it seems to be a clear case of over-torqued bolts. Let's see what Triumph India says.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks