Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2015, 22:39   #31
BHPian

Re: Triumph Street Triple - Blue Lightning comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Sorry about the late reply, I should definitely push an update to this thread (on my to-do list for sure).

The parts availability was dismal to be honest, it took almost 6 months for me to get my bike back. I can attribute it to a variety of reasons. Bharti AXA took almost 2.5 months to give the clearance to go ahead with the repair. Will not be renewing my insurance with them. And the parts took their own sweet time to come. I missed the entire riding season because of it. I am also not too happy with the repairs done. Attention to detail was surely missing and they have left a lot of tool marks on the bike. As I said will update the thread soon!
Hey, any update regarding the bike!!
Old 14th September 2015, 13:38   #32
Senior - BHPian

Alright, time to update this thread. It hasn't been updated in a while!

I had taken a bike trip early this year in the bay area, my choice of steed was a Tiger 800. Its a fantastic bike, sounds amazing and was very comfortable. I did 600-700 kms on it in the day and was quite up for partying in the night. I can't imagine that happening in our lovely country though.

Triumph Street Triple - Blue Lightning comes home-11041826_10152538643290876_4140704323033975356_n.jpg
Me and the Tiger overlooking the ocean on Highway 1 (AKA Pacific Coast Highway)

Triumph Street Triple - Blue Lightning comes home-11018900_10152538646155876_6817261969130372920_o.jpg
The PCH is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to, and I'd really recommend you to drive/ride on it if you can.

Triumph Street Triple - Blue Lightning comes home-10407440_10152538692175876_2373178652459964993_n.jpg
I also had a chance to visit the historic Leguna Seca

The Tiger is definitely an amazing machine, but not sure its the right one for me considering its tall size and heft. Nevertheless it was extremely flickable and decently stable at freeway speeds. Its not very aerodynamic which causes it to flap about if you have crosswinds. The engine is a gem, and it takes long swooping corners like a breeze. Tight ones are quite a scare though. I would definitely rate this an amazing bike to have in our country where the road quality is bad, no wonder Tigers are flying off the shelves. I've also noticed a lot of Street Triple owners upgrading to Tigers.

Insurance and repair costs.

Well from the time of the crash, and the time I got the bike back it was almost 6 months. And the fault definitely lies with both Bharti AXA (took almost 3 months to give approval to the workshop) and Triumph, who didn't keep anything in stock and made me wait even longer. Worst is that since this was not a cashless claim I was asked to shell out over 3 lakh as the repair bill which would be paid back to me. I have changed my insurance provider since then to ICICI. Also for people who are thinking if they should get 0 Dep insurance or not, please take a look at the estimate that was sent to me. I ended up paying approx 25k on a 3.3 lakh bill.

Estimate : Tax Invoice.pdf

Repair Quality

Honestly, I was very worried about the repair quality that will happen since they had recommended a chassis change. I have called them a 1000 times about this, and they ensured that it will have a factory finish. But alas the quality of repair was shoddy with tool marks all over and hap hazard work done. I have even sent a email to Triumph India/UK with everything that I'm sharing below, but nothing was done about it. Unfortunately its quite evident that Triumph India is just a passing the buck company, nobody has taken ownership of customer experience, and its rotting the brand value.

Triumph Street Triple - Blue Lightning comes home-repair_1.jpg

Triumph Street Triple - Blue Lightning comes home-replair_2.jpg

Triumph Street Triple - Blue Lightning comes home-repair_3.jpg
Tool marks evident of shoddy repair quality. They didn't replace some components in the insurance claim.

Triumph Street Triple - Blue Lightning comes home-replair_4.jpg
Over and beyond the above, my exhaust pipes have developed a horrid discolouration when the bike was standing at the workshop. They have raised their hands and said nothing can be done about it and its natural.

Life with a Street Triple

Anyways, since then I have been riding the bike out and about in Delhi. And its quite a wonderful machine. I would say that the bike is close to perfect for the kind of real world use that it sees. Its quite at home in traffic, open roads well anything over 120-130 gets uncomfortable over long periods of time thanks to the wind blast.

Triumph Street Triple - Blue Lightning comes home-10360205_10152603728980876_7399749548644586229_n.jpg
My friend riding the ST3 while I ride his Iron

Triumph Street Triple - Blue Lightning comes home-10406588_10152680717170876_1041570616082347174_n.jpg
She loves sightseeing.

Because the bike has a very flickable character and is very light, obviously it leads to some fun times on one wheel. Oh and these were done on a closed private road with no traffic approaching on either end. This was also before the power upgrade. She is a whole different animal now.

Triumph Street Triple - Blue Lightning comes home-1488026_10152737152350876_1926495687382774487_n.jpg
Smooth as silk!

Triumph Street Triple - Blue Lightning comes home-11390233_10152728947455876_1341427017490203917_n.jpg
I photobombed my friend who was posing for a picture!

Power Upgrade and ARROWED!

I am usually annoyed to be dragged into conversations which centre around CC's and BHP of vehicles. Especially motorcycles. Specs on paper and arguing online about which bike is better because it has x cc or y bhp is a completely fruitless exercise. I'm sure many of you here know of the dilemma that Triumph got themselves into, regarding the power figures. Triumph's great idea was to compensate owners with an upgraded air box, free of cost arrow exhaust. After lot of haggling and followup I gave in and agreed and started waiting for the Arrow to come in. I was quite happy with the power of the bike, and very happy with the handling characteristics. As I've mentioned earlier the bike is perfect apart from a few small niggles (Brake Bite, Mirrors etc.)

Man oh man she has become a angry grunt after the Arrow and power upgrade. I chose to not remove the sound baffle because I am not such a big fan of super loud exhausts. I absolutely love the way the Arrow sounds, honestly in stock trim the ST3 is too quiet, she deserves to be heard. The Triple makes this wonderful magnificent hair-raising sound around 4-6k RPM. Its gorgeous, its amazing. It needs to be heard in person. This engine is a marvel of modern engineering. The nature of acceleration and the sounds it produces makes me feel lucky to be alive every-time I ride it. I've ridden a lot of bikes in my time, but have never experienced something so close to perfection.

The bike has become a little edgy post the power upgrade, I have to be careful now during hard acceleration in first gear, she comes up and how. That reminds me, clutching it in first gear makes her rise to the heavens so much easier now (its almost too quick). The extra power has really done her justice and she has become much more ferocious. And its really helpful to find the gaps while overtake when previously I did feel there was a delay or lethargy if I am in a higher gear. I would be happy to answer specific questions about it.

Triumph Street Triple - Blue Lightning comes home-11181306_10152878440400876_4698798085919957953_n.jpg
Arrow'd

Last edited by n_aditya : 15th September 2015 at 13:37. Reason: replaced jack $h!t with nothing. please avoid using swear words even with asterisks. Thanks!
quickdraw is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 15:32   #33
Senior - BHPian

Ok, sorry for the multiple post. I usually sit and make the post over a long duration of time. But the editor completely crapped out on me and lost all the attachments and completely screwed up with the text formatting. I fixed what I could and didn't want to take any chances

More goodies!

A bike this amazing deserves to be loved and pampered. So what better way to do that then to put up some trick bits!
  • Belly Pan - Partly to hide that horrid discoloration of the header pipes.
  • Triumph Flyscreen - I like to call it the crown because personally, I didn't want to put a ugly looking flyscreen on it. Its useless to have it sustain higher speeds, its a naked bike. Many people don't like the look, I prefer it. It gives it character.
  • Quickshifter - Oh yeah! Clutchless upshifts! I have not had a chance to use this a lot, its in second nature to reach for the clutch while upshifting, I am getting used to it now and will report more once I've used the bike a bit.

Triumph Street Triple - Blue Lightning comes home-11032081_10152903291710876_7689250408878817003_o.jpg
Quickdraw gets a Quickshifter!

Triumph Street Triple - Blue Lightning comes home-11850598_10152908362005876_3177491633963716467_o.jpg
Here is blue lightning with new tricks up her sleeves.

Problems

Well the thread won't be complete without problems will it? I did face a lot of little niggles here and there with the bike. The biggest problem (or flaw) with this bike are the mirrors. They become loose all the time, cannot be adjusted and offer very bad rear visibility. I had gotten them tightened during my last visit to the workshop, but the right side mirror snapped and broke when I was trying to adjust it. these things are almost 5k a pop. And I didn't like the bar end ones that Triumph sells (for 10k a set). Thankfully my saviour was Ronny, he saw me whining about them on the Street Triple whatsapp group and was kind enough to send his pair (which he was not using anymore).

Thankfully the service and support staff at Triumph Delhi are true gems, and have been taking care of her real well. I am glad though, dealing with Anupam, Anup and team is the only positive experience I've had with Triumph India so far.

I am currently waiting on them to get the frame guards which would take a month and a half to arrive (according to them). And forgot to mention that I had added the engine guards to the bike. They look lovely, and its very hard to tell they are even there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpcard View Post
Hey, any update regarding the bike!!
Here you go, thanks for posting today. It pushed me to write the long awaited update to this thread.

So here it is, any questions! Shoot!

Last edited by quickdraw : 14th September 2015 at 15:45.
quickdraw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 15:59   #34
BHPian

Hi Quickdraw

Nice color choice

Lovely write up had fun reading it specially on a boring Monday afternoon at work

Can you help me with the cost for the cosmetic and performance upgrades
the arrow,belly and head mask etc

Some more full pics please of the full bike from the front and sides.

Thanks a ton

Ryan
Old 16th September 2015, 16:38   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_wheelz View Post
Hi Quickdraw

Nice color choice

Lovely write up had fun reading it specially on a boring Monday afternoon at work

Some more full pics please of the full bike from the front and sides.

Thanks a ton

Ryan
Hey Ryan, i'll post up the bills once I have them so you'll get an idea of costs.
Old 21st October 2015, 15:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

Update!

Triumph Street Triple - Blue Lightning comes home-img_1384.jpg

I write this today after honestly completely losing faith in Triumph India and they way they operate. They have great products and good pricing. But unfortunately for you as a customer the end experience will largely depend on the dealership. Unfortunately for me both the dealers I've interacted with (Shaman Mumbai & Bird Delhi) have been absolute scumbags, who have gone back on their words and have made a complete mess of everything . I'm not a very demanding customer, I always level with the dealerships and sales people about being extremely specific about quality of workmanship. I actually dread any kind of interaction with them now because things are at such a stage when I'm worried whenever I need any service/help from them.

Thankfully the service centre chaps at Bird Delhi are very kind and helpful! Their sales & accessories department can definitely learn a thing or two about customer service from the service dept.

Parts availability is very bad. They never have ETA on things that have been ordered. For example, the bellypan in the pictures shared earlier was ordered by me in Sept 2014 and it finally got installed last month a year later. I ordered a backpack, which was not in stock and unavailable. So I told them to send over the R25 which they had in stock to the workshop so I could pick it up on my visit there. The sales guy just told me he sold it to somebody. He also suggested that I try calling all the dealerships in India to see if they have it in stock. Yes, this is the kind of service you can expect from a premium motorcycle brand.

They refuse to accept known issues with the bike that a lot of owners are facing (we have a Street Triple whatsapp group) thankfully my bike has not been affected by the stalling issue *fingers crossed* and the mirrors which are absolutely useless and keep becoming loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_wheelz View Post
Hey Ryan, sorry that I will not be able to share pricing with you because I have no idea how much I was charged. Under the agreement with Triumph India where they have compensated owners of Street Triple for the power issue they give away accessories FOC (Even though I was forced to pay approximately 10k for the latest stuff) The dealer here is just as bad as the Bombay one and went back on his word, asked me to pay for things. When I refused we came to a midway settlement because I was just tired of his bull.

I have already paid premium for non-electrical accessories coverage. But can't get these accessories included into my insurance because the dealer is refusing to provide bills for the same.

I will share more pictures soon!

Last edited by quickdraw : 21st October 2015 at 15:45.
quickdraw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 16:48   #37
BHPian

your bike "blue" me away!
The @##@ up with a lot of premium bike dealers are that they do not realise that they are now catering to the extremely passionate biking fraternity and not the "aam commuter" who cares little about the quality of work being done on his/her bike. Most all brands are suffering the same problem, after sales! Sad!

Quickdraw, why not think of moving the DIY way or get things done by some good hands outside? Order stuff yourself from UK/US and fit things yourself? Just go for the regular "oil change etc" to these incompetent freaks?
Old 21st October 2015, 20:52   #38
BHPian

Hey Quickdraw, my friend faced the same issue on his Street Triple. He trailed international forums, and they said it was a common issue. They suggested he leave it on idle for a good 20 minutes. It worked for him. Do try and let me know.
Old 22nd October 2015, 07:58   #39
BHPian

Am sorry to hear that quickdraw. I really can imagine how bad it feels to be going though experience when the owners have put in a car's money on a bike. I hope they realize to treat customers responsibly.
How is the trend with keerthi motors, Bangalore, any owners can share their good or bad experience ?
Old 23rd October 2015, 12:52   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratap.pratu View Post
Am sorry to hear that quickdraw. I really can imagine how bad it feels to be going though experience when the owners have put in a car's money on a bike. I hope they realize to treat customers responsibly.
How is the trend with keerthi motors, Bangalore, any owners can share their good or bad experience ?
I've not heard any complaints about the Bangalore dealer, although Bangalore has been a hub for lot of controversy because there were a whole bunch of guys who filed a class action suit against TI but didn't hear anything post that. The dealer is the face of the company, and he was able to resolve it I'm sure. Also the issue with no more Arrow sales in India because of the sound issue also originated in Bangalore only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalDrogo View Post
Hey Quickdraw, my friend faced the same issue on his Street Triple. He trailed international forums, and they said it was a common issue. They suggested he leave it on idle for a good 20 minutes. It worked for him. Do try and let me know.
If you start and leave the Street Triple on idle for 12 minutes the ECU will calibrate itself. I'm currently discussing on the whatapp group to start a wiki for Street Triple that covers the common questions that keep coming up. Tyres, lights, insurance, stalling issue etc. It should be a treasure of combined knowledge and ownership experience of this motorcycle. We have an eclectic mix of owners from Pilots to Photographers; Hackers & Modders. Stunters and sane riders. Should be quite interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
your bike "blue" me away!
The @##@ up with a lot of premium bike dealers are that they do not realise that they are now catering to the extremely passionate biking fraternity and not the "aam commuter" who cares little about the quality of work being done on his/her bike. Most all brands are suffering the same problem, after sales! Sad!

Quickdraw, why not think of moving the DIY way or get things done by some good hands outside? Order stuff yourself from UK/US and fit things yourself? Just go for the regular "oil change etc" to these incompetent freaks?
Fortunately the service experience for me has been excellent. Anupam and Anup at the Delhi workshop are gems and go beyond the call of duty to take care of my bike. I really trust and respect them a lot with my machine. I will continue to service my bike there, only worry is if I need anything its just never in stock. And the prices are exorbitant for tyres but everything else is priced at par or below us/uk prices which is excellent! Again the wiki I talked about earlier would be amazing to have for this very reason.
quickdraw is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 10:57   #41
Senior - BHPian

I remember a few people asking for prices of accessories, here is a pricelist I found lying around.

Triumph Street Triple - Blue Lightning comes home-screen-shot-20151029-10.55.41-am.png
quickdraw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 14:21   #42
BHPian

I have always been a fan of the S3 with its bug-eye lights and that sweet, sweet sounding motor especially in the de riguer black shade but this 'Blue' is something else. Its a bit late to convey my wishes but 'grats on getting her and I must really commend the way you've put up with the atrocities of both the dealerships. It goes to show that the jacked up price is not the only deterrent when it comes to owning a high-end motorcycle in India.

BTW, I'm eagerly waiting for a video on how she sounds with the Arrows now.

Quote:
Also took it for a little ride to Uran beach

When was this? How did I miss it?
Old 18th December 2015, 18:01   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Torq View Post
I have always been a fan of the S3 with its bug-eye lights and that sweet, sweet sounding motor especially in the de riguer black shade but this 'Blue' is something else. Its a bit late to convey my wishes but 'grats on getting her and I must really commend the way you've put up with the atrocities of both the dealerships. It goes to show that the jacked up price is not the only deterrent when it comes to owning a high-end motorcycle in India.

BTW, I'm eagerly waiting for a video on how she sounds with the Arrows now.

When was this? How did I miss it?
Hey thanks a bunch man! I haven't gotten the chance to record a video recently, I got an external mic for the GoPro too, so will do it as soon as I get the chance to!

Unfortunately the Bike's ODO stands at around 3500km still, its not being ridden much. Waiting on the air filter to arrive so I can swap it out, mine has developed the stalling issue recently as-well. Triumph is pathetic with spares availability.
Old 8th January 2016, 13:24   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quick update because want to bring attention to a petition us Street Triple owners have started.

Basically the bike stalls for no apparent reason and shows this behaviour in many different scenarios, thanks to the debacle that happened earlier we have a close knit community of riders of the Street Triple from across the country and many of us have to make very frequent visits to the service centre to get injectors cleaned and the air filter changed. Some of us earlier owners have their warranty running out soon and are worried that we need to address this issue before Triumph India decides to wash their hands off the problem.

Example at slow speed of the stalling problem. Notice how the bike stalls without any change in throttle input.

I have started a petition to bring awareness to this issue, since this is a very dangerous flaw which can result in a fatal crash if it happens at high speed or in traffic.

Here is the petition - https://www.change.org/p/triumph-mot...e-motorcycle/c

If you go through it you will find all relevant details, I've also linked back to this and another ownership thread on team-bhp. If you check the comments you will see a wide variety of owners commenting on it as-well.

We would love all non-owners or even people who don't ride motorcycles to share and sign it since it helps us to push Triumph India to accountability towards their customers lives. We have all collectively tried to resolve this for a long time (2 years almost) without any result.
quickdraw is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2016, 22:03   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Quick update because want to bring attention to a petition us Street Triple owners have started.

Basically the bike stalls for no apparent reason and shows this behaviour in many different scenarios, thanks to the debacle that happened earlier we have a close knit community of riders of the Street Triple from across the country and many of us have to make very frequent visits to the service centre to get injectors cleaned and the air filter changed. Some of us earlier owners have their warranty running out soon and are worried that we need to address this issue before Triumph India decides to wash their hands off the problem.

We would love all non-owners or even people who don't ride motorcycles to share and sign it since it helps us to push Triumph India to accountability towards their customers lives. We have all collectively tried to resolve this for a long time (2 years almost) without any result.
We really hope Triumph and companies like Triumph respects customers and potential customers like us.

Most Viewed