Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2016, 14:43   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Triumph Street Triple - Blue Lightning comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratap.pratu View Post
We really hope Triumph and companies like Triumph respects customers and potential customers like us.
Exactly, the reason for starting this. We are all already stuck anyways, even though we love our bike we want prospective owners to know so they know what they are getting into.

Some people have decided to simply sell the bike and are worried this will affect the resale, to be honest this issue is random and we are certain it can be resolved. Apart from stalling the the horrible mirrors the Street Triple is honestly perfect (with the power upgrade, of-course).

More owners have come ahead and shared their problems recently, and we were contacted by Triumph India, you can find that update at this link - https://www.change.org/p/triumph-mot...cle/u/14936678

Its just sad to see they refuse to acknowledge the issue even exists, and are threatening me with a defamation case. Honestly in my entire ownership experience of various brands and types of vehicles I've never seen a company threatening, lying to and cheating their customers so badly. You need special skills to screw up so bad, so we have all decided to formally lodge a complaint via email and raise awareness to the issue.

Here are a few stalling videos which were shared with us by owners of the Street Triple

This is my street triple, which has been allowed to warm up and settle to smooth idle and operating temperature.

Another Street Triple with stalling issue.
quickdraw is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 18:59   #47
Team-BHP Support

I really don't understand why manufacturers resort to such acts of threats with legal liability and stuff.

Was forwarded a response from Harley guys for a similar complaint, and Triumph should learn from them. It was addressed as "Brothers and Sisters, blah blah blah we are on it, will be getting tech guy from US blah blah, will keep you posted".

Here the issue is it cannot be replicated easily till it hits you. I faced it myself, engine suddenly going kaput while cutting throttle. Initially it had happened few times when engine was cold, so did not bother much. Then once it happened at about 40 kmph and boy it was scary. Since i am from the old school of biking and used to carbs doing similar circus and more, instinctly pulled in clutch to recover. My regular service was due, so it got resolved after the air filter and throttle body was cleaned.

Next happened right in front of me; a friend on his bonnie and me in my Striple were riding down from Bangalore to Coonoor. Was an amazing trip and as we were approaching our destination, on a downhill hair pin (my friend was ahead of me) and he cuts the throttle to take the curve, and i see him slip and slide!! Opposite side i see a white Toyota Fortuner avoiding a pothole and going towards him. This was one of the most scariest situation i had come across in real! I saw our whole ride going for a toss playing in my head for few seconds.

Fortunately he also is a veteran old school rider and amazingly managed to recover by cutting in clutch and within few seconds the stalled engine re-starts. We stopped to gather our bearings and that is when he mentioned it has happened to him 2 times before also. Both the times it was similar long rides, downhill and when he cuts the throttle, engine would abruptly cut off / stall. Now after this issue getting publicity online, more and more people have come forward to reveal their bikes facing similar issue.

For Striple am fairly sure it is dirt at throttle body that messes it up, and a clean up sorts it out. But all it takes is a little bit of bad luck to mess things up. Dealers acorss the nation have this same complaints reported, and tried all tricks from replacing the idle stepper motor, to clean up of intake etc done which sorts the issue for 2-3k kms.

Since i fall into low mileage category and bike gets serviced in between, i think i might not even come across the issue (touches wood). As a responsible manufacturer i would atleast try to work with the customers and see atleast it can be resolved technically. Worst case change the service schedule to 5k so that it gets addressed, but then customer is paying for no fault of his lol

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th January 2016 at 23:31. Reason: Correcting typo and grammar thanks to mobile browser.
Jaggu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 19:10   #48
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for little off topic, Triumph should have been kicked in the right place, first time itself when they under stated the bhp figures and sold their bikes. What a cheating it was. They went Scott free and the whole FRAUD was put under the carpet.

Now they are doing it again, threatening and bulling Indian Customers. I feel sorry for all owners who have bought the bikes with hard earned money and have to go through such shitty after sales service.

PS: I would suggest to create a dedicated thread for this issue, if it is not already created.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...e-figures.html

Last edited by black12rr : 12th January 2016 at 19:13.
black12rr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 11:23   #49
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
More owners have come ahead and shared their problems recently, and we were contacted by Triumph India, you can find that update at this link - https://www.change.org/p/triumph-mot...cle/u/14936678

Its just sad to see they refuse to acknowledge the issue even exists, and are threatening me with a defamation case. Honestly in my entire ownership experience of various brands and types of vehicles I've never seen a company threatening, lying to and cheating their customers so badly. You need special skills to screw up so bad, so we have all decided to formally lodge a complaint via email and raise awareness to the issue.
Has Triumph gone MAD? How dare they threaten owners who have valid complaints with a legal notice?

This would be one of the rarest times that a car or bike manufacturer sues its customers.

I hope they realise this could become very, very ugly for them. Social media today is a lot more powerful than it was when Skoda attempted something similar - related link.

Why can't Triumph do the right thing?! That is, sit down for a talk with its owners, get to the root cause of the problem and solve it .

First the discrepancy in power & torque figures, now this. Man, Triumph needs to pull its socks up.

Last edited by GTO : 13th January 2016 at 11:26.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 11:48   #50
BHPian

Triumph threatened you with a legal notice for what, creating a forum?
My understanding of legal matters is rudimentary, but wouldn't this amount to a veiled threat against a consumer ? improper sales practices or something.
As stated in the Consumer Protection Act 1986, ‘the right to be heard and to be assured that consumer's interests will receive due consideration at appropriate forums’ is the definition of the right to be heard. In case a consumer makes an allegation regarding the product, the onus goes to the dealer, or supplying company or manufacturer to disprove that allegation is not true. To be precise, the consumer needs to be heard, and the load of proof goes to the company.

Why don't you take this on a mail from triumphand get a lawyer too. Boy this is irritating
nairanupg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 14:17   #51
BHPian

Please bring this into social media, immediately. Take it to Twitter and tag Mr. Sumbly and Triumph India. There are other major Indian motorcycling handles who have some good influence there. They'll readily help you out. Will leave no stone unturned into spreading it.

Once a mistake, Twice a habit.
barcalad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 15:12   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Please bring this into social media, immediately. Take it to Twitter and tag Mr. Sumbly and Triumph India. There are other major Indian motorcycling handles who have some good influence there. They'll readily help you out. Will leave no stone unturned into spreading it.

Once a mistake, Twice a habit.
Already it is all over social media. This one was hilarious.

Triumph Street Triple - Blue Lightning comes home-striplestal.jpg

Good news is people who wrote in have got emails asking them to contact respective showrooms for technicians to check. Bad news is, pretty sure they would just do a throttle body clean up and say all ok. All will be ok till the bikes run for some 3 to 4k kms

Two points which worry the customers are (atleast from what i figured from the groups i am part off):

1- Is there a better resolution like upgraded stepper motor or a change in the ecu code which can help avoid this? If not why is it not looked into?

2- What if this is prelude to something bigger? Triumph offers 2 years standard warranty only, no option to even pay and upgrade. So once the second year crosses, what do you do?

All this responsiveness and free clean ups will fly off the door and one would start paying in INR 1000's Mind you these premium bikes come with premium service charges.

If i were Triumph i would work on point 1 so that it can give a long term peace of mind, and start offering paid extended warranty! Why not charge 1% of ex showroom for opting a 2 or 3 year extended warranty. Am pretty sure almost all the customers would happily take it.

Company gets good will and some decent revenue also.

My bike has crossed 1 year 3 months and apart from a silly air pressure sensor failure it has performed flawless. Rest of the owners are also quite passionate about the brand, and most would still retain the bikes even if they upgrade. I personally feel Triumph has got a GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY to make it a win win situation!

Hope they make use of it!

Last edited by Jaggu : 13th January 2016 at 15:14.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 17:20   #53
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Triumph is following the footsteps of Skoda. Is Triumph is the Skoda of Indian two wheeler segment? I believe this is not the first time that Triumph India is threatening someone with a legal notice. They have done this before with one member on our forum whose handle is riderzone. This was done when they had fraudulently overstated the power figures of all their motorcycles of which Street Triple was the most affected.

The stalling of engine at any speeds is a very dangerous situation and can sometimes have catastrophic results and even fatal for the rider as well as others in the line. The stalling problem seems to be a common issue and Triumph as a manufacturer needs to address it immediately, especially given its earlier debacle in India. An Indian customer is not something he was about a decade ago. We are today more informed and know our rights thanks to forums like our beloved TeamBHP.

Look at the royal beating that is meted out to Volkswagen. Even the mightiest of the companies is brought down to its knees by informed people and customers. I think Triumph needs to be taught a tough lesson this time so that they don't dare to repeat this mistake again. I am appalled at the audacity of Triumph motorcycles threatening its customers with legal consequences. Good that I told everyone in my riding circle(who were potential buyers) to stay away from Triumph motorcycles. All of the owners should come together collectively and fight with unity to teach Triumph motorcycles a lesson. One classic hindi proverb comes to my mind looking at Triumph Motorcycles India venture, "Gir ke bhi taang upar hai" English translation, "Despite of falling down, they still hold their legs high."

Last edited by navin_v8 : 13th January 2016 at 17:22.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 21:48   #54
BHPian

Is this type of problem seen or observed in Japo bikes as well ? in particular Z800 ?
If it is observed on Japo bikes too running in same polluted cities, then why is it that they are not seen in those bikes ?
Secondly, and IMO, regarding triumph fiasco on power goof up..customers of Triumph should have unanimously agreed upon not taking the bait for arrow exhaust and other upgrades and instead voiced out their concern on giving them an european model as promised at time of delivery OR refund a major percentage of cost of bike. By doing that Triumph would have probably realized the seriousness of the issue or understood that Indian customers cannot be taken for a ride.
Old 14th January 2016, 22:57   #55
Senior - BHPian

It looks like Triumph has gone mad by sending legal notice.
First they screwed up power figures and now are not accepting stalling issue. More over they are very rude and appears to be still having that east india company attitude.

I would say share this over social media as its very powerful these days. Decline in sales number would wake them up and make them listen to customers problems.

@pratap.pratu - I rode my Z800 for 6500KM and have filled fuel in smaller town (may be 89RON) and never experienced any stalling issue. Infact i never stalled my Z800 even once and bike used to start with a single press of starter button till date. I believe this is Japanese quality which brits cannot match atleast in India.
djay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 23:08   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
I believe this is Japanese quality which brits cannot match atleast in India.
Hey let us not make it Jap Vs Brits, quality is aok. Infact finish is much better too with the brit; this is an electro-mechanical issue that needs acknowledgement and resolution.

I do have close contact with Z and Striple in my life, both are amazing products and both run with any junk fuel this side of India can throw.

Problem being discussed here is more of attitude of the Indian entity that we need to interact with, and sorry to say horror stories and arrogance are across brands.
Jaggu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 14:25   #57
Senior - BHPian

In the light of what's going on and the heat that I am under because of being the face of this thing, I thought i'll post a little something that I remembered yesterday.

Name:  Screen Shot 20160115 at 2.20.38 pm.png
Views: 1597
Size:  55.6 KB
A message that I sent to Vimal Sumbly on 31st July 2013, I used to live in Mumbai at that time and offered to fly to Delhi to attend the launch (I was never invited to the launch).

If you guys have read the thread from the start you know my desire to own a Triumph started much before they ever set foot in India. I loved and adored the brand and waited for years (literally) to get my hands on the bike. And today I'm probably the most vocal Triumph India basher, oh how screwed up must things be for it to come to this. Triumph India management needs to change or this brand is going down in the gutters for sure.
quickdraw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 23:05   #58
BHPian

are the REGISTERED biking clubs between states linked or connected ? If so, why can't the entire triumph club (hopefully on a national level) stand by striple owners in this issue and send a message to Triumph HQ, afterall, they all belong to same family. i mean the whole intent of a club is to be there for one other right ?
Old 16th January 2016, 11:36   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Hey let us not make it Jap Vs Brits, quality is aok. Infact finish is much better too with the brit; this is an electro-mechanical issue that needs acknowledgement and resolution.

I do have close contact with Z and Striple in my life, both are amazing products and both run with any junk fuel this side of India can throw.

Problem being discussed here is more of attitude of the Indian entity that we need to interact with, and sorry to say horror stories and arrogance are across brands.
I would second this. with all its cons, triumph does present a very well rounded product. But again its the attitude. And dare i say, its not just the British or the Japanese or the Koreans, my experience is that regardless of origin the consumers here face an uphill climb while asking for clarification or highlighting issues. Don't think its anything to do with the price point of the product, the kind of product or the class of consumers targeted. just a question though, has triumph actually sent you a legal notice or is it just an overzealous company employee shooting his mouth off ?
nairanupg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 09:56   #60
BHPian

Quote:
believe this is Japanese quality which brits cannot match atleast in India.
Hey Djay, hope all good with you.

Like Jaggu mentioned i don't think it's right to compare whose better, is it the Japanese or the Brits. I can honestly tell you the fit and finish on my SP3 is superb. The minutest details like the side stand or the amount flakes used in the paint. It's just top notch. Mechanically in 8 months and 6500 kms i have had no issues whatsover with the bike. I use 97 octane once in a while and just use "Speed" regularly. And haven't had any issues with stalling, starting her up or being stranded.
I guess its our perception here, that only the Japanese know what they do when it comes to machines.

However the Brits have been doing this way before Japan and continue to do so. Nissan, Honda and Toyota have factories in Britain. Infact, Toyota exports cars back to Japan from Britain.
Most of the F1 teams are based out of England. Infact 75% of all R&D done on vehicles globally is done out of England.

Coming back to what Triumph India Management is doing is absolutely wrong and they need to pull up their socks for sure. NOT acknowledging the problem is going to build them a bigger grave.

With conversations i have had, the dealers are doing all that can be done, But Triumph management here in India needs to get up and smell the coffee.

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th January 2016 at 10:55. Reason: Fixing Quotes
Odeen12 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks